Formula 1 Qatar Airways Qatar Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 175 comments
Based on what i'm hearing about how many drivers are struggling in the heat post-race, something is really rubbing me the wrong way about this track

This one was bit of a snoozefest.

Either way, so happy to see McLaren finally bouncing back after years of struggle. Gotta feel for Sargeant now, the pressure is immense.
Snoozefests seem to be disturbingly common in F1 these days.

Logan Sergeant just can't seem to get his act together!

You can't fully blame him for this retirement though.
Yeah. Was really disappointed to read comments elsewhere about how him retiring was "boo hoo" b/c other drivers were coping. Driver health isn't some equal stat and it was quite clear many drivers suffered.

Logan did the right thing instead of risking his health trying to stay out & fight heat exhaustion.

Yeah. Was really disappointed to read comments elsewhere about how him retiring was "boo hoo" b/c other drivers were coping. Driver health isn't some equal stat and it was quite clear many drivers suffered.

Logan did the right thing instead of risking his health trying to stay out & fight heat exhaustion.
God I cant stand F1 fans

Ocon said he literally threw up during the race. I think he is the one who actually made the bad call by continuing to drive in that condition.

Heat exhaustion is no joke, I’ve been there before. All the drivers were struggling out there tbf. I'm glad Logan is ok but I admire the support he got from his team, you don’t see that very often.

Last edited:
The calendar will not change with an increase in the instances of heat exhaustian. Too much money to be gouged.

Ocon said he literally threw up during the race. I think he is the one who actually made the bad call by continuing to drive in that condition.
I didn't catch that. Major hats off to all these guys today for enduring this race to begin with.

Edit* Looks like everyone suffered, unfortunately.

Interview video in the Reddit link.

Last edited:

I thought Logan was being a baby when he announced it on the radio but then I saw him being hoisted out of the cockpit, soaking wet like a geriatric drowning victim, it was obvious it was the right call.

Just looked at a couple videos (although I already knew it was hard for everyone, look at Sargeant's DNF and the cooldown room shot), and I really got Bahrain 2005 vibes from this. Not quite as hot as that race, but everyone was seriously struggling.

It's funny how this race didn't even make the top 5 hottest:

We also need the humidity % for those races. There must be something to it. Perhaps these cars are running hotter than the previous ones.

Reprimands all around for Alonso and Hamilton. Hamilton got fined for crossing the track. The 5 second track limit penalties were for each additional infringement. So 5 seconds for the 4th infringement, plus another 5 for the 5th and another 5 for the sixth.

We also need the humidity % for those races. There must be something to it. Perhaps these cars are running hotter than the previous ones.

Reprimands all around for Alonso and Hamilton. Hamilton got fined for crossing the track. The 5 second track limit penalties were for each additional infringement. So 5 seconds for the 4th infringement, plus another 5 for the 5th and another 5 for the sixth.
Alonso only getting a reprimand is pretty lucky. I thought that re-entry was quite ballsy given how far he came back out onto the track as Charles was coming by.

Edit* The reactions summed up to the race intensity, from Reddit.

Russell - felt like fainting
Sargeant - retired due to severe dehydration
Bottas - says it was torture
Yuki - opened up visor to get some air
Albon - needed to be checked by medical delegate
Stroll - needed to be checked by medical delegate
Ocon - threw up
Piastri - said it was hardest race of his life
Alonso - said seat was burning
Magnussen - asked for a leaf blower after the race
Leclerc - said it felt awful

Additional comment from Lando that some drivers passed out in the medical center.

Last edited:
One comment on that clip referenced the 1955 Argentine GP:

It was race 1 of 7 in the 1955 World Championship of Drivers.

The race was won from third on the grid by Juan Manuel Fangio for Mercedes. Ferrari drivers Nino Farina and Maurice Trintignant finished both second and third in two three-way shared drives with José Froilán González and Umberto Maglioli respectively. The high temperatures of the Argentinian summer proved to be very taxing for both drivers and cars. Fangio and Roberto Mieres were the only two drivers able to complete the race without handing their car to another driver.

According to former Ferrari and Maserati chief mechanic Giulio Borsari, Fangio acclimatized himself by moving to Argentina one month prior to the race and reducing his water consumption to one liter a day to cope with the extreme heat.[2] Fangio also suffered severe burns to his leg which, for the entire duration of the race, was rubbing against the chassis frame which was being heated by the exhaust. It took him 3 months to recover; his next race in Monaco was not until late May. It left a permanent scar on his leg later in life.

Last edited:
Finally, an Australian driver with a good car and good luck who doesn't get shafted by his team constantly.

Last edited:
Piastri is certainly the real deal, once he gets his tire management figured out he's going to give Norris a very hard time. He's got kind of a funny personality too, he's becoming one of my favorite drivers on the grid.

Last edited:
The FIA isn't quite done yet with Lewis and his crossing of the race track. They see him as a role model and he should have known better.

The FIA isn't quite done yet with Lewis and his crossing of the race track. They see him as a role model and he should have known better.
So... it turns out that they can revisit wrong calls and change them?

🤔

So... it turns out that they can revisit wrong calls and change them?
giphy.gif

Lewis getting special treatment but not the kind he'd want
in view of his role model status, the FIA is concerned about the impression his actions may have created on younger drivers

The issue that caused it once again falls to the FIA and their absolute cowardice in regards to marshals. Lewis was sat in that gravel trap in his car for ages and climbed out alone, with no orange people in sight. There were plenty of marshals ready to go out and check on the driver and clear the car, but they were all stood behind the barriers like melons waiting for Race Control to decide that the pack was "sufficiently under control" before allowing people there for driver safety to go out and do their job they are trained for. No wonder he crossed the track, there was nobody there to tell him not to. Russell did it at Austria last year for the same reason.

Lance Stroll's crash at Singapore was exactly the same. When a car crashes and they go Red Flag, marshals have to stand there and stare at a potential fireball or driver bleeding out until - and I kid you not - every single car has entered the pitlane. For Stroll, who crashed at the final corner and was passed by a few cars, that is 100 seconds to wait for cars going flat out, let alone slowing down to Red Flag pace. Stroll eventually climbed out of his car in bemusement because nobody had come out to check he was fine.

The FIA are too scared to properly regulate and penalise speeding under yellow flags. Speeding under yellows is what killed Jules Bianchi, but 2 years later they didn't give a stuff when Rosberg stuck his car on Pole despite driving flat out through Double Yellows at Hungary. They CORRECTLY penalised Gasly for speeding past a tractor at Japan last year, and yet the overwhelming response was anger from drivers and fans to not put tractors on the track?

When Ralf Schumacher crashed at the 2004 US Grand Prix, everyone was horrified that it took 90 seconds for help to reach his car, with Sid Watkins having to say that you can still save someone not breathing after 2 minutes. Why have we gone to something worse?

Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle, and selection processes for marshalling at Grand Prix ask for evidence of competence. As such, everyone there in the role knows how to keep safe when entering the track to deal with a crashed car, but because drivers have proved time and time again that they don't follow the flags, the FIA have to sit there and be scared about it.

And we get so many silly pathetic Safety Cars because of this too. The fateful Monza 2020 SC for Magnussen was a 30 second push under Double-Yellows at most. The debris at T1 at Japan last race was a 4-lap Safety Car that the competent Japanese marshals could have had cleared up before the Safety Car even collected the pack for its one lap in front of the pack if they were allowed to use their brains and head out straight after the pack went through on Lap 1.

Should the marshals at Bahrain 2020 have waited until all cars were in the pits before they went to fight the Grosjean fire? Could you stand behind the barrier looking at Alonso's car in Melbourne 2016 and wait 2 minutes before being able to help him out? Why have we gone backwards?

What it is worth saying is, I am not sat here saying "More danger yeah! Go and get marshals killed, or hurt drivers by putting tractors on track". I am a marshal, and I appreciate the dangers of going trackside every time I do and know that the phrase "Censored-word-for-excrement happens" is very relevant, as if I were hit, I'd only be angry if it was for a driver who ignored the flags designed to protect me. Suspension failures etc can happen at any time. I am merely saying that this current mess is a combination of bad decisions all in a row that have got tied up in a mess right now - all because they can't enforce "Slow down and be prepared to stop" for a bit of yellow cloth.

There is so much info for drivers to see it. Yellow flags, really bright light boxes and a warning on their steering wheel. These drivers have no excuse for missing them, and the time to put numbers to that rule is now. Enforce a mandatory "70% throttle maximum" for single yellows and "40% throttle maximum" for doubles, or something like that. Stop leaving it up to interpretation and force drivers to markedly slow down with super harsh penalties for missing it (Drive through for any infringement at minimum) and Safety will be brought back. OK, these numbers may be a bit extreme, but the mess we are in now needs a solution because it's making the pinnacle of Motorsport a joke that nobody wants to officiate at or watch.

So yeah, if drivers bothered to slow down for Yellow Flags, somebody may have had a chance to tell Lewis that crossing the live track is not an option and he wouldn't have done it.

The issue that caused it once again falls to the FIA and their absolute cowardice in regards to marshals. Lewis was sat in that gravel trap in his car for ages and climbed out alone, with no orange people in sight. There were plenty of marshals ready to go out and check on the driver and clear the car, but they were all stood behind the barriers like melons waiting for Race Control to decide that the pack was "sufficiently under control" before allowing people there for driver safety to go out and do their job they are trained for. No wonder he crossed the track, there was nobody there to tell him not to. Russell did it at Austria last year for the same reason.

Lance Stroll's crash at Singapore was exactly the same. When a car crashes and they go Red Flag, marshals have to stand there and stare at a potential fireball or driver bleeding out until - and I kid you not - every single car has entered the pitlane. For Stroll, who crashed at the final corner and was passed by a few cars, that is 100 seconds to wait for cars going flat out, let alone slowing down to Red Flag pace. Stroll eventually climbed out of his car in bemusement because nobody had come out to check he was fine.

The FIA are too scared to properly regulate and penalise speeding under yellow flags. Speeding under yellows is what killed Jules Bianchi, but 2 years later they didn't give a stuff when Rosberg stuck his car on Pole despite driving flat out through Double Yellows at Hungary. They CORRECTLY penalised Gasly for speeding past a tractor at Japan last year, and yet the overwhelming response was anger from drivers and fans to not put tractors on the track?

When Ralf Schumacher crashed at the 2004 US Grand Prix, everyone was horrified that it took 90 seconds for help to reach his car, with Sid Watkins having to say that you can still save someone not breathing after 2 minutes. Why have we gone to something worse?

Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle, and selection processes for marshalling at Grand Prix ask for evidence of competence. As such, everyone there in the role knows how to keep safe when entering the track to deal with a crashed car, but because drivers have proved time and time again that they don't follow the flags, the FIA have to sit there and be scared about it.

And we get so many silly pathetic Safety Cars because of this too. The fateful Monza 2020 SC for Magnussen was a 30 second push under Double-Yellows at most. The debris at T1 at Japan last race was a 4-lap Safety Car that the competent Japanese marshals could have had cleared up before the Safety Car even collected the pack for its one lap in front of the pack if they were allowed to use their brains and head out straight after the pack went through on Lap 1.

Should the marshals at Bahrain 2020 have waited until all cars were in the pits before they went to fight the Grosjean fire? Could you stand behind the barrier looking at Alonso's car in Melbourne 2016 and wait 2 minutes before being able to help him out? Why have we gone backwards?

What it is worth saying is, I am not sat here saying "More danger yeah! Go and get marshals killed, or hurt drivers by putting tractors on track". I am a marshal, and I appreciate the dangers of going trackside every time I do and know that the phrase "Censored-word-for-excrement happens" is very relevant, as if I were hit, I'd only be angry if it was for a driver who ignored the flags designed to protect me. Suspension failures etc can happen at any time. I am merely saying that this current mess is a combination of bad decisions all in a row that have got tied up in a mess right now - all because they can't enforce "Slow down and be prepared to stop" for a bit of yellow cloth.

There is so much info for drivers to see it. Yellow flags, really bright light boxes and a warning on their steering wheel. These drivers have no excuse for missing them, and the time to put numbers to that rule is now. Enforce a mandatory "70% throttle maximum" for single yellows and "40% throttle maximum" for doubles, or something like that. Stop leaving it up to interpretation and force drivers to markedly slow down with super harsh penalties for missing it (Drive through for any infringement at minimum) and Safety will be brought back. OK, these numbers may be a bit extreme, but the mess we are in now needs a solution because it's making the pinnacle of Motorsport a joke that nobody wants to officiate at or watch.

So yeah, if drivers bothered to slow down for Yellow Flags, somebody may have had a chance to tell Lewis that crossing the live track is not an option and he wouldn't have done it.
Thank you. Couldn't have found better words for this mess!

Back