Formula 1 Rolex Grande Prêmio De São Paulo 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 173 comments
So if Piastri and Ricciardo get repaired, they get back to wherever they were when the SC was called, right? As the red flag was called in the middle of lap 2, the end of lap 1 (start of pitlane) defines the restart order

So if Piastri and Ricciardo get repaired, they get back to wherever they were when the SC was called, right? As the red flag was called in the middle of lap 2, the end of lap 1 (start of pitlane) defines the restart order
Might even be starting grid order.
Only reason they're on lap 3 is because they had to park at end and of pit lane for red flag.
But red flag was called before, they started lap 3.

Last edited:
Might even be starting grid order.
Only reason they're on lap 3 is because they had to park at end and of pit lane for red flag.
It's the last completed lap, right? They completed lap 1 behind the SC, and then did another lap behind SC where the Red Flag was called.

Edit: FIA just clarified that Piastri and Ricciardo can only start from the pitlane

Last edited:
Thought time.
We have seen Redbull repair max's car at the grid on the way to start the formation lap, if Max had rear wing damage.
How long would they take to do it.

Whew, woke up late and turned on the TV, thinking I missed a chunk of the race, but I see a red flag and carnage replays.

So the only car out is... Leclerc, yeah?

Whew, woke up late and turned on the TV, thinking I missed a chunk of the race, but I see a red flag and carnage replays.

So the only car out is... Leclerc, yeah?
Albon and Magnussen as well.

It's curious though with Piastri and Ricciardo. If they start from pitlane now, they will have driven 1 fewer lap than the rest of the field, yet in ranking they should be on the same lap

It's curious though with Piastri and Ricciardo. If they start from pitlane now, they will have driven 1 fewer lap than the rest of the field, yet in ranking they should be on the same lap
Ok so they're considered 1 lap behind now, even though that was an uncompleted red flag lap

Ok so they're considered 1 lap behind now, even though that was an uncompleted red flag lap
They stopped in the garage after lap 1, the Red Flag came out on lap 2 so yeah they retired a lap before everyone else.

They stopped in the garage after lap 1, the Red Flag came out on lap 2 so yeah they retired a lap before everyone else.
But on a red flag it's supposed to go back to the order of the last completed lap, right? That's lap 1, which they both completed.

It's a bit of a weird case, and I don't know what exactly the rules say on this.

Being 1 lap behind sounds like the right thing to do, but what I remember from these rules I think it's not what's supposed to happen

Last edited:
But on a red flag it's supposed to go back to the order of the last completed lap, right? That's lap 1, which they both completed.

It's a bit of a weird case, and I don't know what exactly the rules say on this.

Being 1 lap behind sounds like the right thing to do, but what I remember from these rules I think it's not what's supposed to happen
That's usually for when a race finishes. They actually go back to the last timing line with a complete order, which could be Sector 2 in this case, for restarts. Everyone else has driven an extra lap of the track than Piastri and Ricciardo.

Last edited:
That's usually for when a race finishes. They actually go back to the last timing line with a complete order, which could be Sector 2 in this case, for restarts. Everyone else has driven an extra lap of the track than Piastri and Ricciardo.
Fair enough, I'm pretty sure they would have crossed the first timing line before the red flag. Then it sounds right to have the 1 lap defecit

They were both in their garage's when the red flag came out.
I know they were, but it's a matter of where the rest of the field was. If the rest of the field only crossed the end of lap line, the last sector would be equal for everyone (end of lap 1)

Back