Formula 1 Rolex Großer Preis Von Österreich 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 532 comments
With all the talk of upgraded Honda power unit, is Red Bull sandbagging? Did they run on the soft at all during those 2 practice sessions? :confused: I'm really curious to see how they stack up against the Mercs and Racing Point who's looking like they are really out to snatch a seat from the top 3 teams if they are not careful. Vettel was behind Perez in FP2. I know that doesn't mean anything but seeing those cars being so fast right out of the gate is pretty impressive.

With all the talk of upgraded Honda power unit, is Red Bull sandbagging? Did they run on the soft at all during those 2 practice sessions? :confused:

I'm fearful they were not sandbagging, and do in fact lack performance. Alpha Tauri, the only other Honda team, also seemed off the pace.

At first I thought they dubbed in some TIE fighter SFX but that's what the car actually sounds like!

I'm fearful they were not sandbagging, and do in fact lack performance. Alpha Tauri, the only other Honda team, also seemed off the pace.

If that's the case, I wonder if it will be another one of those "having the tire within the right temperature window" scenario!

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/03/red-bull-officially-lodge-protest-against-mercedes/

Here we go. DAS is in the spotlight. It's not like they've had 4 months off to protest it with the FIA or something...

Bet they probably wanted to wait and see how much of an advantage it would give the Merc on track before officially protesting it. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the FIA already said it was legal? I'm curious to see how that's going to play out!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more advantageous this way. Why protest something and give them time to fix it when they can delay and shake them up during the season.

I wonder if Mercedes prepared something just in case. I would think that they would've figured that into their plan and have a fallback in the event of it getting banned.

Sounds like a decision will be made about the legality of the system before FP3 so that should be interesting :lol:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/03/red-bull-officially-lodge-protest-against-mercedes/

Here we go. DAS is in the spotlight. It's not like they've had 4 months off to protest it with the FIA or something...

They had to wait until it was used in an official race weekend session before they were allowed a protest apparently.

Horner said it was better to challenge it at the start of the weekend rather than post quali or post race.

@Roger the Horse

upload_2020-7-3_18-13-43.jpeg

Most ran softs so these times are pretty indicative.

Mercedes struggled as the temps rose last year so if its hot on Sunday, it could mix it up a bit.

They had to wait until it was used in an official race weekend session before they were allowed a protest apparently.

Horner said it was better to challenge it at the start of the weekend rather than post quali or post race.

@Roger the Horse

View attachment 937171

Most ran softs so these times are pretty indicative.

Mercedes struggled as the temps rose last year so if its hot on Sunday, it could mix it up a bit.

Its forecast 26c temp for saturday it was 35c last year so maybe not so much...

Yes, but will level the playing field.

Red Bull and Mclaren to rise as the temperature does.

I'd be surprised if mercedes have not sorted last years heat issues over winter. Be interesting to see the das results and true pace in q3 2moro (its looking ominous) I think q3 is my fave moment of the weekend other than lights out race day feenin for it lol

I think you can play it on the TV from your mobile.

Looks like its gonna be dry for FP1. :D

I tried to cast it to my chromecast dongle, sound came through but no picture... and before anyone else goes the mobile route, theres a lovely logo that covers the top3 of the leaderboard...

Nope, all the Sky apps are locked to stop you doing that.

Has anyone tried running it through the ARC Welder? https://arc-welder.en.uptodown.com/windows

:lol:

What a stunning car.

I know Mercedes uses silver because it is germanys national racing color due to the silver arrows race car back in the day.

But man that car looks so much better in black.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53285413

Das approved for use this season, nice strategy by Horner, tried for some disruption, he alluded the RB have their own DAS system in the works no doubt ferrari will be at it too soon

I feel like Horner is bluffing or it might have been a tactic for them to learn more about all the intricacies of DAS. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't people still puzzled about what exactly the system really does and it's true benefits? Why would they go try and put something in the car that wasn't even designed with the DAS concept in mind to begin with? It just seems to be a whole lot of hassle IMO for them to go and redesign the car to fit DAS or an altered version of it when the thing is not even going to be allowed again in the next season.

I feel like Horner is bluffing or it might have been a tactic for them to learn more about all the intricacies of DAS. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't people still puzzled about what exactly the system really does and it's true benefits? Why would they go try and put something in the car that wasn't even designed with the DAS concept in mind to begin with? It just seems to be a whole lot of hassle IMO for them to go and redesign the car to fit DAS or an altered version of it when the thing is not even going to be allowed again in the next season.

That article was hinting at several advantages involving grip in corners, tyre temp mgt & that they could control wear on the surface by scrubbing different areas of the tyre too. Apparently its all to do with the "camel" toe of the tyre lol

Last edited:
If I understand what they were saying on the broadcast, it's active and being controlled when the driver moves the steering wheel in and out so it's basically turning the steering wheel into an airplane like controller.

Latest Posts

Back