Formula 1 Rolex Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 374 comments
George got 2 penalty points for hitting Perez

Gasly also got 2 for hitting Vettel

Last edited:
Replays of Sainz's bodywork as the engine let go reminded me of Jiffy Pop, and now I want Jiffy Pop. 😐

Just noticed McLaren and Alpine are tied in the WCC.

tableflip-bear.gif

Last edited:
Only was able to catch highlights, but a good race. Hamilton did a great job, love seeing him on the podium, well deserved. Also hats off to Leclerc, must feel really good to finish a race, the guy has had terrible luck between car issues and bad team strategy.

Another fun race, DRS may have been a bit strong but there was still some excellent racing with cars running close to each other again. Make the most of it though, because the calendar is slowly going to have more and more tight street circuits instead of this classic proper racing circuits.

Also, crispy Ferrari

qa62jl69wta91.jpg

Seems they can't go a single weekend without either a car problem or a strategy problem.

Last edited:
Holy crap! That was an amazing effort by Charles at the end; he earned every single point today.

Kimi must be getting a little bit nervous, as Lewis is quickly approaching his record for most 3rd place finishes.

I don’t think I’ve seen this many track limit violations in one race.
Cause they never policed it before.
I hope it is like this every race from now on.

None of this.
You can go 10cm over and not get punished one race and then go 1mm over and get punished the next race.

Regarding Carlos' DNF, was there any reason he couldn't have pulled right onto the gravel to avoid the rollback and get out of the car easier?

Regarding Carlos' DNF, was there any reason he couldn't have pulled right onto the gravel to avoid the rollback and get out of the car easier?
He was probably more focused on getting it as far up the escape road as possible. So while there's no technical reason why he couldn't, I don't imagine it was his first thought. Once it started rolling back it was almost engulfed in flames.

Also, I wonder if ditching it in the gravel will have bought out a full SC.

I say first track limit violation is a drive through, second is a stop go and third is a 30 stop and hold.

Alternatively fit gravel immediately after the white line. It doesn't have to be a full gravel trap. Just a metre or two.

He was probably more focused on getting it as far up the escape road as possible. So while there's no technical reason why he couldn't, I don't imagine it was his first thought. Once it started rolling back it was almost engulfed in flames.

Also, I wonder if ditching it in the gravel will have bought out a full SC.
I thought he should have cranked on some left lock. Then when it rolled back it would have rested with a back wheel against the barrier. You could clearly see the indecision though, which led to him being in the burning car at least 10 seconds longer than necessary

I thought he should have cranked on some left lock. Then when it rolled back it would have rested with a back wheel against the barrier. You could clearly see the indecision though, which led to him being in the burning car at least 10 seconds longer than necessary
My theory there is the hydraulics were gone, which is why, firstly, it wouldn't go into gear which would have stopped it rolling and secondly would have made it tricky to get lock on while stationary. All theory of course, but with a failure like that, somewhat plausible.

I say first track limit violation is a drive through, second is a stop go and third is a 30 stop and hold.

Alternatively fit gravel immediately after the white line. It doesn't have to be a full gravel trap. Just a metre or two.
I think all of the tarmac outside of the white lines should be coated with honey.

Alonso was on course for finishing around 6th if not for that loose wheel. From 19th. He had another excellent race, front of the field or not.

Why does it matter what is beyond it?
Why shouldn't it matter? If you put something beyond it, drivers will exploit it. It's natural for anyone competing at the highest level to do so. It's no different than a top sim racer exploiting the game to gain the tiniest advantage.
Nobody goes beyond the limit in street circuits because they hit a wall. Kerbs are there for drivers to use but they're not part of the track. They exist so that if drivers make a mistake they're not straight into the dirt or gravel. They are also there as a visual aid to better see the edge of the track, because the white lines are not always easily visible.
Of course not, because the walls on a street circuit define the natural track limits, hence why you hardly hear track limit discussions on street circuits. And I'm fully aware why white lines and kerbs are there, even though they don't necessarily need to be there.
Tarmac run offs are now also very common compared to the past, which is why it's more common to be required to monitor the limits. There isn't an edge of the road in many corners, that's why the white line is needed to denote the track boundary.
Yes, but we're not talking about blatant corner cutting or short cutting the track here, and no, I’m not really a fan of tarmac runoff areas, either.
The rules are already the same for everyone, and very clear. The track is defined, you've got to drive round it. What you and Magnussen are asking for is how it was the last few years, different rules for different corners, which is confusing for viewers. Or a free for all, where they can do whatever they want. No thanks.
As I alluded to earlier, FIA would be better off re-focusing their efforts to ensure that tracks have natural track limits (similar to what we see on street circuits) beyond which there would be an adverse impact, rather than wasting resources/man-hours enforcing and monitoring something that doesn’t really need to be done. This issue can be eliminated entirely. Simply using the white line to define track limits is a cop out way of dealing with the situation IMO. As a driver, I know I would prefer natural track limits, and it would be better for the spectators as well (certainly less confusing for the casual fans).

Back