Formula 1 Rolex Grosser Preis Von Ă–sterreich 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 374 comments
s I alluded to earlier, FIA would be better off re-focusing their efforts to ensure that tracks have natural track limits (similar to what we see on street circuits) beyond which there would be an adverse impact, rather than wasting resources/man-hours enforcing and monitoring something that doesn’t really need to be done. This issue can be eliminated entirely. Simply using the white line to define track limits is a cop out way of dealing with the situation IMO. As a driver, I know I would prefer natural track limits, and it would be better for the spectators as well (certainly less confusing for the casual fans).
Because natural track limits, assuming you mean grass and gravel, are not particularly safe for when something goes wrong. It's not just about what happens under normal driving. We aren't going to go backwards on safety.

Also like I said, kerbs are there for the drivers to easily see the track edge. They've had kerbs for that purpose long before track limits was even a phrase uttered in F1. One reason they don't hit barriers on street circuits is precisely because they can easily see the walls, they know exactly where the edge of the circuit is. Kerbs serve that same purpose.

If we got rid of all kerbs and just lined every track with grass and gravel right at the edge you'd have drivers going off all over the place on certain tracks. None of them want that.

I don't know what is so confusing about two white lines running around the entire edge of the track to define it. It's exactly the same thing that is used to define the edges of public roads, even though again, there may be other tarmac beyond it.

When track limits start being enforced, the first few rounds will be Draconian and the drivers will see loads of penalties as they find out just how much they do track limits naturally.

It'll take a few races of hell, but if race control are consistent and harsh, the drivers will soon stop doing it. Even the BTCC has eradicated track limits issues with harshness! If they can do it, F1 can.

Anyone saying the drivers can't see the lines or keep it in the lines, I will counter that with the argument of a drying track. In a long race, where it started very wet, but the drivers then carved out a dry line 1 car's width wide, they all keep it within that tiny line without going wide, and a dry line is trickier to spot than some brightly painted white lines.
Screenshot_20220712-071455.png

Go off that tiny car's width and you crash.

Properly enforcing rules works, and if we were back at Austria next week with the same levels of enforcement, we'd only have about 10 Track Limit violations. Drivers soon learn that running wide isn't faster and will stop doing it.

I'm not sure where Track Limits will be bad at Paul Ricard. Mainly T6 and for cutting the chicanes in races. But I hope they are just as trigger happy with penalties as it will sort the drivers out.

They complained about no track limit enforcement, then when it is enforced they complain too. Set rules and enforce them, if people who are getting caught out don't like it, then the penalty works because it's a reason to not do the "crime".

My idea for enforcing track limits would be to remove sausage kerbs and replace with something like this
1657608115377.png

Now the spikes will need to be smaller, but the idea is not to pop the tire, but to shred it just enough that the tire may lose a few laps of life(think of a vegetable grater).
If the drivers keep exceeding the track limits, they will have to do more stops to get new tires and eventually they will run out of tire sets to use.
It still may be "Dangerous" but it will be less dangerous than sausage kerbs.

My idea for enforcing track limits would be to remove sausage kerbs and replace with something like this
View attachment 1171771
Now the spikes will need to be smaller, but the idea is not to pop the tire, but to shred it just enough that the tire may lose a few laps of life(think of a vegetable grater).
If the drivers keep exceeding the track limits, they will have to do more stops to get new tires and eventually they will run out of tire sets to use.
I was thinking along these lines, but using something like a police "stinger" to deflate the tyres rather than popping them.

View attachment 1171771
I genuinely can't tell, are you actually being serious?

View attachment 1171771
They have that. It's called Paul Ricard. But nobody likes that apparently because reasons...

They have that. It's called Paul Ricard. But nobody likes that apparently because reasons...
I don't mind the abrasive surfaces, I just don't get why they have to be painted in bright red and blue stripes. Just leave it tarmac coloured, or two shades of green.

View attachment 1171771
The last few laps of every race would have a lot of track-limit excursions.

It's like watching a very slow ZX Spectrum loading screen hanging.
Might as well put an interesting mural of Paul Ricard or Alain Prost.... or they can groove the run offs to play music like the French national anthem.

Back