Formula 1 Rolex Magyar Nagydíj 2019

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 244 comments
I know Lewis wins this one primarily because of the team's strategy but seriously as much hate as I see him get because of his personality or whatever, you just cannot deny that his drive is impressive. Anyway well done Lewis, this one was well earned!!!!!!

I know Lewis wins this one primarily because of the team's strategy but seriously as much hate as I see him get because of his personality or whatever, you just cannot deny that his drive is impressive. Anyway well done Lewis, this one was well earned!!!!!!
Pushing that hard for that long certainly deserves respect

What I would give to watch all the drivers talk to each other after the race for a good hour or so. Just talking about what they did, what they thought the others did and then discussing back and forth. I LOVE that interaction when they actually talk to each other. I raise the volume up to catch as much as I can. All controversy is gone and they're just racers chatting it up. Something really pure about that.

Apart from Lewis and Max destroying the field and competition,

can we have a special moment for Ferrari? So ridiculously far behind.

• Welp, well done to Lewis and the Merc strategists, and excellent race by Max. I honestly wish I could vote DotD for both of them. Hamilton definetly earned his pay here.
  • Gutted for Max, though. Despite the gargantuan effort, Red Bull basically got outplayed by Mercedes. I don't think Max should be upset with that result, but he probably will be.
  • Ferrari were absolutely nowhere to be seen here. Maybe it was just because of how hard Max and Lewis were running each other, but their pace was absolutely non-existent compared to those 2
  • Oh dear Valterri. While I understand he was set back by early damage, and Hungary is a tough track to pass on, he definetly should've performed better I feel, but instead he was held up by most of the midfield. Didn't matter at all this race.
  • Riccardo's adventures at Renault still continue to frustrate me immensely. Renault promised him a platform that would be getting better by the year, yet they're woefully behind McLaren and are being threatened by Torro Rosso of all people. If Bottas does end up losing his seat next year, and I was Danny Rics advisor, I would do everything I could to allow Danny to jump ship.
  • Watching Kvyat and Albon battle each other was fun. One of my buddies was so taken in by their battles, that he has decided to refer to them as "Sigfried and Roy" for the rest of the season.
Overall, not the most exciting F1 race, but not a total procession. Hamilton & Max once again showing why they're arguably the best drivers on the grid currently.

Last edited:

Race Recap:

Lewis Hamilton: What a run. Had no DRS in Q3, missed out on the front row because of it. Fought tooth and nail to take P2 from Bottas in the first lap. Then did an overcut on Verstappen, and attacked hard on fresher hard tires. When that didn't work, Merc pitted him very late for a crazy race-end attack that paid off handsomely. Lewis drove a fantastic race, but credit to the Mercedes pit wall for that fantastic call.

Max Verstappen: He did every thing right, but you could feel his heart break when he realized what Lewis was doing pitting behind him. Still, P2, fastest lap and some incredible dog-fighting with Lewis. Not shabby for the Red Bull boy.

Sebastian Vettel: Benefitted from Bottas going out, but seemed at sea for most of the race, as he did in qualifying. Still, he conserved his tires and car and caught team-mate LeClerc napping near the end. Good run for Seb on a tough week where Ferrari just didn't have the pace to catch the top two teams.

Charles LeClerc: He exists. That was a great run in qualifying, and a good run in the race, but he still has some weaknesses in defending. Not a bad run, but Ferrari was horribly disappointing this weekend.

Carlos Sainz: It's a sign of how nail-biting the battle for the lead was that we didn't see Sainz that much on the telly. A fantastic run for the McLaren driver.

Pierre Gasly: Hope he still has a test seat at Toro Rosso next year. Because he's sure as hell not staying in that Red Bull.

Kimi Raikkonen: Where? How? What? If Alfa actually had a good car, where would Kimi end up?

Valterri Bottas: Once again shows he lacks the killer instinct. Lewis caught him napping a few corners after the start. He took the place back, but lost it again, then fell into LeClerc before breaking his wing trying to get back around the Ferrari. Getting back into 8th was decent, but everyone expected him to get back up to 6th, at least. And nobody expected him to get lapped. A truly miserable race for the pole-sitting Finn.

Lando Norris: Should have been higher up, but still a good run. Falling behind the Sainz in wheel-to-wheel battles shows how much Norris still needs to learn, despite being there in terms of qualifying pace.

Alex Albon: That Red Bull seat is calling. Some great dicing with Kyvat, and he came out on top.

No one else scored, or matters. But yes, Russell is winning Formula Williams.

What I would give to watch all the drivers talk to each other after the race for a good hour or so. Just talking about what they did, what they thought the others did and then discussing back and forth. I LOVE that interaction when they actually talk to each other. I raise the volume up to catch as much as I can. All controversy is gone and they're just racers chatting it up. Something really pure about that.
It was really cool when they had the drivers briefing on youtube, but (understandably) the drivers felt like they couldn't speak freely anymore, so they stopped doing that.

I'm happy that Lewis brought it back after Germany, but the Mercedes pit-crew and strategists took so much **** from people last race. It's satisfying to see them back in form. They cooked, cut and served all of the people who were mocking them. It wasn't luck that served Mercedes, it was their ability to seek out the risk and rewards of taking the pit-stop, and they clearly knew the odds.

As for Verstappen, I think now he understands how much pressure it takes to maintain a lead with a podium start. He spent a lot of time talking on the radio, speaking of hypothetical situations. I don't think that Red Bull made any mistakes, it's just that Mercedes was cunning enough to pounce on opportunities, for example, when Hamilton snuck up on Verstappen simply by keeping it quiet on the radio and making sure that he pushed when Verstappen had no eyes on him. That's why Verstappen was so keen on the Horner keeping an eye on Hamilton, his sectors and his DRS.

That was a decent race. I managed to watch all of it, but it got kind of stale with no real mentioning of the Ferraris, the other RB driver and Bottas sadly flopping again.

On to Spa. I can't wait to see the place in person. Just one month :D

10 laps of battle for 14th coverage.
Nothing AT ALL of the battle for 5th.

Simply amazing.

PS: Wow is Hamilton trying to conceal his hair.

Verstappen lost that race because they were driving too fast. Ferrari were so slow and Hamilton was pushing so much, which created the gap Hamilton was able to use for the free stop.

Still, you can't blame Verstappen for that, it was all Ferrari's fault for that and he had to drive that quick to stop Lewis. Really it came down to Max doing well to keep the lead until he did once the second stop occurred.

10 laps of battle for 14th coverage.
Nothing AT ALL of the battle for 5th.

Simply amazing.

Was he wearing one of these? It's just a durag. I'm black, but I've never had the reason to place one on my head :P Mainly, they're used to preserve hair that has been twisted, twisted into cornrows, dreadlocks, etc. It just keeps it nice and tidy. Sometimes, it just looks cool.
s-l1000.jpg

Verstappen lost that race because they were driving too fast. Ferrari were so slow and Hamilton was pushing so much, which created the gap Hamilton was able to use for the free stop.

Still, you can't blame Verstappen for that, it was all Ferrari's fault for that and he had to drive that quick to stop Lewis. Really it came down to Max doing well to keep the lead until he did once the second stop occurred.
Hamilton had the pace advantage in the race, in the first stint he was all over Verstappen, in the second stint he caught up a 6 second gap and was all over him the over heating brakes stopping him from staying in full attack, so the logical solution was to change strategy.

That's why I find it odd when Brundle said they caught Redbull napping, if Max pitted and Hamilton stayed out, Hamilton would of had more pace then Max did plus he had newer Hards.

So far I'm really impressed with Sainz. Got to see him finally coming to life. Maybe Mclaren finally understand you needn't sack a driver after a single season before he can perform...
At this point Mclaren has two drivers who are performing well.

When Gasly finally falls behind Sainz in the standings, how hard will Horner's boot hit him on the way out the door?

Finally I can say that F1 have pretty much nailed the formula for competitive racing. Totally gripping from start to finish.

Honestly I thought this race was going to be relatively boring as it‘s a track that‘s not exactly oozing with overtake possibilities, but I‘m bloody happy to be wrong.

The battle between Max and Lewis was absolutely nail-biting.

Driver of the day - well that goes to James Vowles - chief strategist of Mercedes Motorsport, or whoever made the decision to pit Lewis and put him on mediums for the last 20 or so laps - genius decision.

LOL that's the first thing I noticed when he came out with the skull cap for the podium. He's fighting a losing battle there. He just needs to go ahead and buzz cut it or totally shave it.

Pretty sure he already got a Hair transplant as his hairline changed massively around 2014, does that have a time limit or something before it happens again lol.

Mercedes taking that pit stop was a surprise for me only because I was expecting it sooner. Even with the pace advantage, I figured that they needed something closer to 25 laps to catch back up and have enough attempts to overtake. Maybe they cut it that close to essentially box in RBR strategy-wise. Hamilton was close enough behind at the time that even an immediate response to box Verstappen may have cost them the lead anyway. Plus the lap counter may have enticed them to believe that track position was more important at that juncture on a track where overtaking is notoriously difficult. Wish the actual battle would've lasted longer but I had to leave for work so the pass was the last thing I got to see. :lol:

Back