Formula 1 Scraps The Use Of Grid Girls For The 2018 SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 278 comments
It isn't just about drivers. It's about girls in any role that isn't just standing in front of cars looking pretty.

People are coming at this from the wrong angle.

The concept of grid girls isn't undesirable because it's not politically correct to appreciate the female form (though if that's really what concerns you then for pity's sake you're on the internet), it's because they are currently the only high-profile female role models in the sport. They're there to smile, wave at the camera and get out of the way when the important people need to do some racing. That's not a great state of affairs.

My angle is surely sound.

If no-one made a thing of grid girls for twenty years and they just remained or even appeared on some tracks, but not others, then this would not make an impact at all.

Same goes for if they quietly stopped doing it mid-season. No-one ought to pay any mind at all. The problem is that they've loudly declared that they're stopping it and then gave some lousy cop-out of an excuse. No-one needs to hear the spin, for 🤬 sake. They barely even need to know what they've done.

Last edited:
If F1 had a problem with what the grid girls contributed to the sport why didn't they attempt to expand the role they did rather than banning them. It's almost like F1 is reinforcing the much mistaken belief that they were good for little else. I guess women who don't do much should be done away with then?! That's going to send a great message to all the girls watching the sport, now there are NO women on the screen!

If your 8-year-old is inspired by the sport and wants to get involved in future, are grid girls the best representation of what she could achieve? How easy might it be as a parent trying to explain why the only women she's seeing in three or four hours of coverage - aside from the occasional TV presenter - are there just to make some of the camera shots a bit prettier? Why can her brother grow up to be a racing driver or a mechanic or team manager or race director if her only realistic chance of getting into F1 is as a brolly dolly?

Now I'm sure 8-year-old girls want to look pretty themselves, but I'm also sure plenty have ambitions to do cool things when they grow up. If she grows up and wants to be a model herself then more power to her, but it'd be nice to think that young kids aren't being discouraged before they've even started down a career path.

I absolutely understand what your saying but is being a grid girl such an undesirable thing? There's this sentiment that it's somehow a disappointment that someone's daughter ends up doing it. It's a serious role that has opened the doors for many girls to build into all sorts of things, not just modelling.

Just through being in that environment and meeting the right people there is the potential to move across into the sport in a more hands on capacity such as being in team staff where you see quite a few women. If you enjoy the sport I would say working in it in any capacity should make you happy and proud, seeing grid girls should make girls watching feel proud.

TV shouldn't be the only conduit for their aspiration. Yes there is gender inequity on TV, underrepresentation all over the shop (now even more thanks to F1) but as a parent kids need to know that there are plenty of things going on off camera that offer maybe a better angle or way into that sport. Also you should be honest and explain to them that things still have a way to go in certain areas but there are always the trailblazers that make it happen.

People are coming at this from the wrong angle...
...they are currently the only high-profile female role models in the sport.

Hmm.
I'm not going to get into a political debate in an F1 thread on GTPlanet, so just going to respond to this piece.

You either forgot about or are choosing to discredit all the female mechanics, team leaders/principals, drivers, presenters, interviewers and so on, there are numerous high ranking, prestigious jobs other than and arguably better than being a grid girl.

As for firing them all, couldn't they have just adjusted the outfits and/or their job roles? Nobody deserves to just lose their job without having done anything wrong, in any industry, at least give them something else to do. I really can't agree with "They'll easily get another job" comments, that's just avoiding the matter. Losing any job can be depressing, I can't see why they'd need to put anyone through a harder time when there are other less drastic solutions available.

Hmm.
I'm not going to get into a political debate in an F1 thread on GTPlanet, so just going to respond to this piece.

You either forgot about or are choosing to discredit all the female mechanics, team leaders/principals, drivers, presenters, interviewers and so on, there are numerous high ranking, prestigious jobs other than and arguably better than being a grid girl.
I seem to remember the name Claire Williams for some reason, you know...

Could be a pointer to the 'role models' nonsense, but could be nothing.

I really can't agree with "They'll easily get another job" comments, that's just avoiding the matter.

That's really just the nature of modelling. Models (or rather their bookers) are constantly confirming (and dropping, or being dropped from) potential jobs. I'm pretty sure that at least one model has dropped a grid girl job for something more lucrative like a commercial job or a campaign. It isn't a 9-5 where you rely on a sole source of income.

That's really just the nature of modelling. Models (or rather their bookers) are constantly confirming (and dropping, or being dropped from) potential jobs. I'm pretty sure that at least one model has dropped a grid girl job for something more lucrative like a commercial job or a campaign. It isn't a 9-5 where you rely on a sole source of income.

There are grid girls though that are full time rather than event or contract models. For example Monster Girls or other team specific girls that go all over the world and attend lots of events representing just that brand. They are literally employees and if they get fired they loose their livelihood.

There are grid girls though that are full time rather than event or contract models. For example Monster Girls or other team specific girls that go all over the world and attend lots of events representing just that brand. They are literally employees and if they get fired they loose their livelihood.
Because they can't just apply and work at any other establishment that is also in their field?

There won't be any left if every establishment is banning the use of them.
Show me where this is confirmed to be happening. This isn't something brought down from the FIA to be an umbrella change to all their divisions. It's just F1.

Show me where this is confirmed to be happening. This isn't something brought down from the FIA to be an umbrella change to all their divisions. It's just F1.

Even in the article in the original post professional darts has already banned them. I wasn't talking about other FIA divisions but you can bet F3, GP2 etc will now also follow suit.

Blame the feminists rather than consider why they might have considered the move in the first place: got it.

Here's another take:

I don't know how many of you have any kids, but pretend you do for a second.

Let's say one of them is an 8-year-old girl. She's getting interested in cars and F1 because - well, her dad is, and 8-year-olds think their parents are the best people in the world and want to bond through common interests.

So she's watching F1 with her dad and absorbing every minute. But she notices that the only girls in the sport are just standing there in matching clothing on the grid, then sod off for the entirety of the race, then reappear just to line the walls as the men walk to the podium, hand out the trophies, give the TV interviews etc.

If your 8-year-old is inspired by the sport and wants to get involved in future, are grid girls the best representation of what she could achieve? How easy might it be as a parent trying to explain why the only women she's seeing in three or four hours of coverage - aside from the occasional TV presenter - are there just to make some of the camera shots a bit prettier? Why can her brother grow up to be a racing driver or a mechanic or team manager or race director if her only realistic chance of getting into F1 is as a brolly dolly?

Now I'm sure 8-year-old girls want to look pretty themselves, but I'm also sure plenty have ambitions to do cool things when they grow up. If she grows up and wants to be a model herself then more power to her, but it'd be nice to think that young kids aren't being discouraged before they've even started down a career path.

But no, it's definitely feminists and political correctness rather than logic and promoting broader opportunities.

I'd take her to a race and get her to meet some of the grid-girls and other women in the sport. Touring car races are friendly enough places, and there are plenty of women that are there in other capacities. I'd then see if that sparked her interest. Perhaps then some of the grid-girls could explain their entirely worthwhile full-time jobs, part-time jobs, or studies that are not related to standing around in lycra holding stuff, and how it's just a fun experience and a way to earn a couple of hundred quid extra from time to time... I mean, you could wait for the media to do that for you, I guess - but if you take her now, it'll be free entry, in a few years, it'll cost!

Even in the article in the original post professional darts has already banned them. I wasn't talking about other FIA divisions but you can bet F3, GP2 etc will now also follow suit.
Oh no!! First Formula 1, then darts?! The world will never be the same! :(

Option 1 doesn't really wash as it's more than just about drivers,

Leena Gade isn't a driver. Claire Williams isn't a driver. Andrea Mueller isn't a driver.

Only a tiny percentage of men will ever be professional racing drivers and far more will try and get into the sport, so that being the case you might as well give up on your son getting into racing, let alone your daughter.

Who said anything about getting to the top level? It's just as unlikely that they will get to the top level of any other sport, so by your theory you might as well not even bother with football.

That, and I'm sure most, if not all the drivers mentioned above would probably wish themselves to be motor racing's role models rather than grid girls themselves.

True, but there's nothing wrong with being a model either.

So far the only people online I've seen complaining are actual grid girls themselves (predictable, though it's probably not a long-term career choice)

So the opinions of the grid girls themselves don't matter, interesting.

the girls getting covered in champagne at the end of the race are probably the most prominent female roles right now.

Unfortunately true. So why not try steering daughters in the direction of race engineers and other things?

You either get to talk about the handful of female drivers who hover around the top flight briefly and then forever disappear

Hold on a second because I'm having trouble comprehending this. I mean, sure I can see this argument coming from some of the people who live in an F1 cocoon, but you're not one of those people. Those names I listed have done far more than hover around the top flight, they are the top flight.

Brittany Force is the 2017 NHRA Top Fuel Champion.

Courtney Force and Leah Pritchett are regular contenders in the same series.

Christina Nielsen has won the past 2 GTD championships and finished 2nd the season before (and she missed 2 races that year!).

Leena Gade is the first female race engineer to win Le Mans and will be doing the same job for James Hinchcliffe in IndyCar this year.

Now will any of them still be around in 5 years, who knows. But I find your undervaluing of their accomplishments far more damaging than any grid girl.

Neat. That third option, by the way, is that the sport itself changes and becomes a better role model for their youngest, most impressionable viewers.

So in other words...

Hoping someone else does it for you? :confused:

You can either sit on the sidelines and wait for change to come, at which point it will probably be too late for your daughter. Or you can nurture her interest and let her be the trailblazer.

You can at the least explain the origins of grid girls since they did start a time when it literally was because there was too much testosterone,

The origins don't really matter, what matters is what they are now.

but now that women have a larger role in motor sport overall the context for grid girls has changed.

You're right, it has changed. These days a good majority serve as approachable spokespeople for whatever series/team/sponsor they happen to be representing. Now is there a certain amount of sex appeal involved, yes. But the same thing can be said when Lewis Hamilton poses without a shirt for a shampoo ad.

34B24E7D00000578-3613501-Ripped_He_s_never_been_adverse_to_stripping_off_for_a_saucy_self-a-4_1464392088665.jpg

"it's okay daughter, you can't see it here but there are women in this sport" or your a horrible parent.

I apparently didn't word that clear enough. In my view one of the jobs of being a parent is doing what you can to nurture your child's interest in whatever hobbies they may have (so long as it's not something like torturing neighborhood pets of course). If you can't be bothered to do that much, than yes, you are a horrible parent.

Last edited:
That's really just the nature of modelling.

It can be yes, but this kind of answer gives me vibes of "It happens, therefore we have to accept it". I would have imagined grid girls would have differences in their contracts, arrangements or whatever than what would be typical of the modelling industry, but I have zero knowledge on that.

Blame the feminists rather than consider why they might have considered the move in the first place: got it.

Here's another take:

I don't know how many of you have any kids, but pretend you do for a second.

Let's say one of them is an 8-year-old girl. She's getting interested in cars and F1 because - well, her dad is, and 8-year-olds think their parents are the best people in the world and want to bond through common interests.

So she's watching F1 with her dad and absorbing every minute. But she notices that the only girls in the sport are just standing there in matching clothing on the grid, then sod off for the entirety of the race, then reappear just to line the walls as the men walk to the podium, hand out the trophies, give the TV interviews etc.

But no, it's definitely feminists and political correctness rather than logic and promoting broader opportunities.
I'm not sure how taking away opportunities from women who have done nothing wrong promotes broader opportunities. If your 8 year old daughter is inspired by auto mechanics and you take her down to a couple of local establishments to meet some grease monkeys and they are all male, what are you going to tell her? "Sorry honey, only men can be mechanics, tough luck". Unfortunately your response appears to abdicate your responsibility as a parent to explain potentially difficult and confusing life situations to your child, and puts the onus on the rest of the world to make it easier for you. Maybe she'll want to be a grid girl. Maybe she'll want to be a mechanic. Maybe she'll want to be a race driver. It's up to you to inspire and encourage her dreams and, if she really does think you're the best person in the world, it should be too difficult, even faced with a tv screen full of pretty girls holding signs. Of all the issues you could face raising an 8 year old girl, and I did, this would seem to me to be about as easy to overcome as a skinned knee or missing Barbie head.

Just as an aside, let's say for the sake of argument, your daughter sits down to watch the first F1 race of the season and says, "Hey Dad, where are the grid girls, I like watching the grid girls, where did they go?". What is your inspiring answer?

Does anybody know what the replacement will be? Some kind of bus stop sign with a number on it, or will it be one of the mechanics who just happens to be the most pleasing on the eye.

Since (I assume) none of us have been grid girls, here's the thoughts of someone who was and is now a reporter/presenter of Moto GP:
Screenshot_20180201-074421.png
Screenshot_20180201-074433.png
Screenshot_20180201-074442.png
Screenshot_20180201-074450.png

My angle is surely sound.

If no-one made a thing of grid girls for twenty years and they just remained or even appeared on some tracks, but not others, then this would not make an impact at all.
Just because something has been around for a long time that doesn't mean it's the best way of doing things. I don't even need to begin to provide examples of that being the case.
If F1 had a problem with what the grid girls contributed to the sport why didn't they attempt to expand the role they did rather than banning them. It's almost like F1 is reinforcing the much mistaken belief that they were good for little else. I guess women who don't do much should be done away with then?! That's going to send a great message to all the girls watching the sport, now there are NO women on the screen!
Sure - let's have them all changing the tyres. I'd be happy with that, but maybe they've been exclusively hired for their looks, and maybe that's the entire discussion here?
I absolutely understand what your saying but is being a grid girl such an undesirable thing? There's this sentiment that it's somehow a disappointment that someone's daughter ends up doing it. It's a serious role that has opened the doors for many girls to build into all sorts of things, not just modelling.
You're missing my point.

If someone's daughter wants to grow up and make use of their looks to get a job, more power to them. But that role shouldn't necessarily be the prominent role of women in the sport - which it is right now (all the people screaming CLAIRE WILLIAMS! should probably consider how little she's really featured on an average F1 programme. Perhaps if the team was winning every race she'd be more prominent, but we're still talking about a fairly small thing here).

And to state the obvious, not everyone has the looks to become a grid girl. We're talking about a pretty small sub-section of society here yet it represents the biggest role for women in the sport.
Just through being in that environment and meeting the right people there is the potential to move across into the sport in a more hands on capacity such as being in team staff where you see quite a few women. If you enjoy the sport I would say working in it in any capacity should make you happy and proud, seeing grid girls should make girls watching feel proud.
This seems a bit disingenuous. How many grid girls really go from standing there looking pretty to some important role within the industry? Like... really?
TV shouldn't be the only conduit for their aspiration. Yes there is gender inequity on TV, underrepresentation all over the shop (now even more thanks to F1) but as a parent kids need to know that there are plenty of things going on off camera that offer maybe a better angle or way into that sport. Also you should be honest and explain to them that things still have a way to go in certain areas but there are always the trailblazers that make it happen.
While I fully support any parent convincing their child that while things are crappy for them now that they could be the one to change that state of affairs, that message is easier to reinforce if the barriers to entry aren't so high in the first place.
I didn't "forget", because of course there are.

But this entire conversation I've been using the term "high profile". How much screen time to F1's female mechanics get? How obvious actually is it that there are any women in the sport at all beyond those who stand on the grid holding race numbers or smiling at the winning drivers on the way to the podium?

The only retorts people have had have been a bunch of female drivers that aren't even in F1, and CLAIRE WILLIAMS!!!11! who, while a great role model, did have the benefit of getting into the sport because her dad founded the team and still doesn't get a lot of screen time because the team isn't doing that great in the first place. (And also probably won't be around for a bit anyway given she's recently had a baby).
As for firing them all, couldn't they have just adjusted the outfits and/or their job roles? Nobody deserves to just lose their job without having done anything wrong, in any industry, at least give them something else to do. I really can't agree with "They'll easily get another job" comments, that's just avoiding the matter. Losing any job can be depressing, I can't see why they'd need to put anyone through a harder time when there are other less drastic solutions available.
It's funny that several of you are suggesting F1 find them some other role. I'm sure they would if they could but they have literally been hired for their looks. That is what a grid girl is and that's the root of the whole debate here. The entire role of the grid girl is to add some glamour to the sport with attractive females.

It's not like there are a bunch of tyre engineers and aerodynamicists going spare so the sport might as well dress them in fancy clothes and send them out to stand in front of the cars...
I seem to remember the name Claire Williams for some reason, you know...

Could be a pointer to the 'role models' nonsense, but could be nothing.
I'm sure you're merely being facetious calling something quite important like role models "nonsense", but sure, she's F1's one role model that isn't a grid girl. I'm sure we're good to go from there.
I'd take her to a race and get her to meet some of the grid-girls and other women in the sport. Touring car races are friendly enough places, and there are plenty of women that are there in other capacities. I'd then see if that sparked her interest. Perhaps then some of the grid-girls could explain their entirely worthwhile full-time jobs, part-time jobs, or studies that are not related to standing around in lycra holding stuff, and how it's just a fun experience and a way to earn a couple of hundred quid extra from time to time... I mean, you could wait for the media to do that for you, I guess - but if you take her now, it'll be free entry, in a few years, it'll cost!
It's odd that people think the media has no role to play in this whole thing and it's solely on the shoulders of my hypothetical parent to inspire the hypothetical little girl. I'd fully support parents taking kids to races to meet those in and around the sport, but there's so much more to it than that. Grid girls may well have other roles, they might be doing a degree in engineering at university and holding race numbers to help cover the costs (though anyone at that stage in life would surely be an intern in one of the pit garages at a BTCC meet rather than standing on the grid in lycra, but I digress), but it doesn't take much to look around the sport and see that virtually everyone in it doing something exciting is a bloke.

It's a long-term thing. No grid girls today doesn't mean more female mechanics, drivers etc in the sport tomorrow, but it may well be the first step to giving women a less aesthetic role in the sport in future.
True, but there's nothing wrong with being a model either.
I didn't say there was. The entire point is that models are currently the sport's defining female role - not the drivers.
So the opinions of the grid girls themselves don't matter, interesting.
Nor did I say that. It's undoubtedly a shame that some very pretty people will lose the opportunity to stand on some tarmac for a couple of days a year (among all the other worthwhile things they apparently do according to some of you) but their individual loss for those couple of days a year for the few years they're attractive enough to get the gig (I hope nobody thinks being a grid girl is a lifetime career? Just to be clear on that...) comes at the potential benefit for generations of women that follow.
Unfortunately true. So why not try steering daughters in the direction of race engineers and other things?
Because it starts with the daughters themselves.

My hypothetical eight-year-old might grow up not to be interested in F1 at all and go on to do something else entirely. It's not really right for her parent to steer her in the direction of something she might not want to do. But if she does want to get into motorsport in some capacity, it's undoubtedly a better environment for her to do so than if she can see that her best chance of getting into the industry as a women (and only if she's pretty at that) is to be a grid girl.

That's my entire argument here. The potential benefits of grid girls not being the female representation in F1 outweigh the negatives of men seeing a bit less thigh on TV.
Hold on a second because I'm having trouble comprehending this. I mean, sure I can see this argument coming from some of the people who live in an F1 cocoon, but you're not one of those people. Those names I listed have done far more than hover around the top flight, they are the top flight.

Brittany Force is the 2017 NHRA Top Fuel Champion.

Courtney Force and Leah Pritchett are regular contenders in the same series.

Christina Nielsen has won the past 2 GTD championships and finished 2nd the season before (and she missed 2 races that year!).

Leena Gade is the first female race engineer to win Le Mans and will be doing the same job for James Hinchcliffe in IndyCar this year.

Now will any of them still be around in 5 years, who knows. But I find your undervaluing of their accomplishments far more damaging than any grid girl.
I'm not undervaluing their accomplishments. It's quite appropriate for the argument in fact that I'd not heard of most of them before that post - it's illustrative of the fact that you basically have to go out of your way to find women who are actually anywhere near the top level. Winning in drag racing is pretty cool, but I'm sure you'll appreciate that F1's profile is vastly, vastly bigger worldwide than drag racing, which is why we're discussing it at all.
So in other words...

You can either sit on the sidelines and wait for change to come, at which point it will probably be too late for your daughter. Or you can nurture her interest and let her be the trailblazer.
No! You've literally turned an argument with shades of grey back into one of black and white.

Of course parents should nurture their kids, but that's much easier to do if the general zeitgeist is gives them a more positive environment in which to do so. Telling your kid they can do anything in life and them then seeing very much otherwise on TV is a lot more to fight against than telling your kid they can do anything and them not seeing that their only role in a sport they enjoy is an aesthetic one.

Last edited:
Just because something has been around for a long time that doesn't mean it's the best way of doing things. I don't even need to begin to provide examples of that being the case.
Don't read those words as the meaning of the sentence, you fool! Read the other ones!

I'm sure you're merely being facetious calling something quite important like role models "nonsense", but sure, she's F1's one role model that isn't a grid girl. I'm sure we're good to go from there.
And I'm not calling the role models a bunch of nonsense, I'm calling the talk about said role models a bunch of nonsense.

I have no idea whether your misrepresentation of my arguments is accidental or on purpose, but please do feel free to read all of my words before rebutting them.

It's odd that people think the media has no role to play in this whole thing and it's solely on the shoulders of my hypothetical parent to inspire the hypothetical little girl

It's not that I'm blaming parents or media for the balance of parenting, what I'm saying is that unless the media replaces coverage of women in these roles, with women in more "relevant" roles, it won't matter a crap. Somebody has to expose younger women to these role models, and F1 getting rid off grid girls won't automatically make the media focus on these other women (unless they happen to be babes), so I would expect a parent for whom this was a big deal to do something about it (beyond passively agreeing with someone elses decision).

No grid girls today doesn't mean more female mechanics, drivers etc in the sport tomorrow,

This I agree with.

but it may well be the first step to giving women a less aesthetic role in the sport in future.

... statistically it'll mean less women in the sport are in an "aesthetic" role. But that's only by reducing one side of the ratio, not increasing the other.

So 60% of F1 fans still wanted grid girls to remain a part of the sport. The majority. It's a matter of the squeaky wheel getting the grease here, as there have been no calls for Japan to abdicate this element of motorsport pageantry. And despite this more recent article essentially reflecting on how Japanese motorsport has given a decent number of chances to female drivers, while the author still adds a piece in at the end saying that the race queens are still there for their objectification, and then using an example of how the girls from the WedsSport team had their uniforms 'stolen in an act of lecherous cowardice', proceeding to not elaborate further on the story and just leaves it up in the air.

Japan seems to be well-set in this tradition, so why is nobody who matters calling them out?

So 60% of F1 fans still wanted grid girls to remain a part of the sport. The majority. It's a matter of the squeaky wheel getting the grease here, as there have been no calls for Japan to abdicate this element of motorsport pageantry. And despite this more recent article essentially reflecting on how Japanese motorsport has given a decent number of chances to female drivers, while the author still adds a piece in at the end saying that the race queens are still there for their objectification, and then using an example of how the girls from the WedsSport team had their uniforms 'stolen in an act of lecherous cowardice', proceeding to not elaborate further on the story and just leaves it up in the air.

Japan seems to be well-set in this tradition, so why is nobody who matters calling them out?
Because Japan’s not full of killjoys who spite women because they feel offended.

I have no idea whether your misrepresentation of my arguments is accidental or on purpose, but please do feel free to read all of my words before rebutting them.
I read everyone's words - it's why I quoted and then responded to so many people. But as I can only respond to the limited words you put on my screen and I seem to have misinterpreted those, perhaps you could make your point a little more clearly?
It's not that I'm blaming parents or media for the balance of parenting, what I'm saying is that unless the media replaces coverage of women in these roles, with women in more "relevant" roles, it won't matter a crap. Somebody has to expose younger women to these role models, and F1 getting rid off grid girls won't automatically make the media focus on these other women (unless they happen to be babes), so I would expect a parent for whom this was a big deal to do something about it (beyond passively agreeing with someone elses decision).

... statistically it'll mean less women in the sport are in an "aesthetic" role. But that's only by reducing one side of the ratio, not increasing the other.
Admittedly the benefits are inferred rather than explicit - not having women solely for display makes the sport look less one-sided, even if no more women are in other roles in the sport.

Perhaps I should clarify my position here.

I don't really care whether F1 has grid girls or not. I'm not offended by their presence, but then I'm a white straight male who likes looking at attractive women, so arguably I'm in the right demographic for grid girls to be an appealing part of the sport. At best, I haven't really noticed grid girls in F1 - crazily, I watch the sport for the racing (what's left of it) and if I want to spend time actively looking at attractive women then I'm connected to the internet so I can figure that out for myself.

I do think grid girls are a bit of an anachronism, but again for me personally, a fairly harmless one. I'm sure the girls themselves enjoy taking part and make a few quid on the side so it's not like anyone is being exploited, but the concept of using women solely for decoration (not even a side-event to the main event itself - they aren't cheerleaders, they don't require skill to do what they do, they simply have to smile and be attractive) is at best irrelevant and at worst a bit old-fashioned in a sport that's otherwise fairly progressive - it's ditched tobacco advertising, it's adopted hybrid tech etc. On a very basic level, F1 clearly thinks that grid girls don't fit into the overall vibe the sport is cultivating.

One aspect I missed from my original comments further up was that other series have tried something a little different with the concept. Formula E has had "grid kids" at a few meetings, and to me that seems like a great idea. Get local schoolkids involved, get them exposed to the sport, and perhaps inspire the next generation directly. I'd be surprised if there's anyone talking in this thread who wouldn't have been over the moon to represent their driver on the grid of a motor race when they were younger - to wear the team colours, get up close to the cars and drivers, and stand there in front of thousands of fans.

Even if you're at the absolute extreme of the grid girls argument (i.e. you basically just want to stare at pretty girls for a bit before a race and think losing them is all PC nonsense), it's difficult not to argue that ultimately, inspiring young people (of either gender) to get involved in motorsport is a hugely worthwhile goal. For me, that goal is slightly easier to achieve if 50% of the world's population aren't represented in the sport as decoration alone.

Back