Formula 1 Scraps The Use Of Grid Girls For The 2018 SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 278 comments
I read everyone's words - it's why I quoted and then responded to so many people. But as I can only respond to the limited words you put on my screen and I seem to have misinterpreted those, perhaps you could make your point a little more clearly.

My angle is surely sound.

If no-one made a thing of grid girls for twenty years and they just remained or even appeared on some tracks, but not others, then this would not make an impact at all.

Same goes for if they quietly stopped doing it mid-season. No-one ought to pay any mind at all. The problem is that they've loudly declared that they're stopping it and then gave some lousy cop-out of an excuse. No-one needs to hear the spin, for 🤬 sake. They barely even need to know what they've done.

Words, my friend.

Words, my friend.
Making things bold doesn't make unclear points any clearer, it just makes them easier to see. But since you don't seem keen to re-write your argument in a way that makes sense (perhaps because there's no way of doing that), I'll see if I can decipher them anyway.

Your first point quoted above appears to be that nobody has complained up until recently, ergo nobody really notices or cares about grid girls in the first place, something you could demonstrate by simply not having them at some events.

If that isn't what that means, then you really will need to assume I'm an idiot and that I can't work it out and find some other way of explaining it to me.

If that is what it means, it's a fairly meaningless argument, not to mention one that doesn't really refer to the post of mine that you responded to originally.

Your second bolded quote above seems to say a fairly similar thing, but seems to object more with the way that F1 has ditched grid girls - i.e. announcing that they'll no longer have them for the image of the sport, rather than just quietly binning the whole thing.

Functionally there's no difference between not having grid girls whether you announce it or not, so the only reason I can see people being in uproar about announcing it is because there's a subsection of society who get very angry about anything they might interpret as being against the status quo.

Given you mentioned "offended killjoys" a couple of posts ago it's safe to say you fall under this subsection, in which case this discussion isn't going anywhere anyway because you've already made up your mind on the subject, and aren't prepared to entertain any argument no matter how worthwhile it might be.

F1 is an entertainment business first, grid girls were part of the show, saying they didn't contribute to the race is being intellectually dishonest as they were there to contribute to the "event" and spice up the non-racing parts of the weekend. The presumption, that a Formula 1 GP = the race so anybody who is not taking part in it is useless, is uninformed and a result of not understanding what actually goes on during an F1 weekend.

So I know a number of links in the BTCC community, and a key point has been made that I feel has been overlooked - F1 themselves hire them for the events, its different from other series such as BTCC where they are hired by and work for teams.

Small but important little distinction to make.

Making things bold doesn't make unclear points any clearer, it just makes them easier to see. But since you don't seem keen to re-write your argument in a way that makes sense (perhaps because there's no way of doing that), I'll see if I can decipher them anyway.

Your first point quoted above appears to be that nobody has complained up until recently, ergo nobody really notices or cares about grid girls in the first place, something you could demonstrate by simply not having them at some events.

If that isn't what that means, then you really will need to assume I'm an idiot and that I can't work it out and find some other way of explaining it to me.

If that is what it means, it's a fairly meaningless argument, not to mention one that doesn't really refer to the post of mine that you responded to originally.

Your second bolded quote above seems to say a fairly similar thing, but seems to object more with the way that F1 has ditched grid girls - i.e. announcing that they'll no longer have them for the image of the sport, rather than just quietly binning the whole thing.

Functionally there's no difference between not having grid girls whether you announce it or not, so the only reason I can see people being in uproar about announcing it is because there's a subsection of society who get very angry about anything they might interpret as being against the status quo.

Given you mentioned "offended killjoys" a couple of posts ago it's safe to say you fall under this subsection, in which case this discussion isn't going anywhere anyway because you've already made up your mind on the subject, and aren't prepared to entertain any argument no matter how worthwhile it might be.
It would be the angle of the argument’s perspective that I’m talking out of line from, not the meaning of the argument itself.

I am saying that people are up in arms because they made noise, made excuses and pandered to the offended with their excuse, rather than keeping the calm by just leaving the grid girls out.

Their presence makes no functional difference, so logically no-one will notice if they just aren’t there from one weekend onwards. It is that simple.

As for aligning with the argument over objectification and such, I believe that women should have complete freedom to do what they want. Hell, I don’t even care if they were accompanied by blokes, kids and older people. It simply does not matter to me in the slightest.

Good! Next up let’s get rid of the models draping themselves all over the vehicles at car shows.

Can't tell if sarcasm.... but I wouldn't mind. Personally one of the reasons I don't go to as many car shows as I otherwise might, is the dominant lads mag culture - I'm a straight male, btw, and I like girls as much as I like cars - but the two together all polished & bikini-clad just feels a bit, dirty.

Keep the girls, lose the bikinis.

“Children as mascots.”

So adult females voluntarily taking the job is a bad thing, but child labor is all fine and dandy? :odd:

Bit dramatic.

Using children as mascots is a great idea, they could run competitions, the kids could have meet and greets with the driver they are representing, shown around the garages etc football have done it for god knows how long and no one cried child labour.
Inspiring kids and giving them an experience of a lifetime, that's not to be sniffed at surely.

Last edited:
Could've been worse - instead of grid girls, they could switch to gender-fluid-grid-members.

Next stop - some cars are more colorful. There should be no colors, all cars should be in neutral brown with same number (1) and should have a rectangle shape so we can avoid fat shaming. ffs.

...Firing women from the jobs they voluntarily applied to, all in the name of "equality" and political correctness?

The sheer irony of this is unbelievable.

And I thought the Liberty Media group would be of any good to F1, so far they aren't helping the sport with it's fading popularity.

Next step: End of cheerleaders on American football? The same excuse can be said there too!

So I know a number of links in the BTCC community, and a key point has been made that I feel has been overlooked - F1 themselves hire them for the events, its different from other series such as BTCC where they are hired by and work for teams.

Small but important little distinction to make.

Didn't know it worked like that. So in that case could the f1 teams hire their own models to stand on the grid?

Even though I can understand the counter-argument to this, I'm glad they got rid of grid-girls. I'm glad the WEC did it, in 2015, and I think other championships should, eventually, follow.

Grid-girls don't add anything to the racing and, honestly, they are a pointless distraction from the true stars of the racetrack: the cars and their drivers.

For any true racing fan, there is more than enough "pr0n" on the grid already, if you know what I mean:

L5R3237.jpg

aston-martin-racing2018-vantage-gte10-jpg-1511294646.jpg

I always said ill never be that parent one day that complains about today and talks about the good old days. Well for the past year I am gradually getting in that zone.

The music sucks...how is Trap music even allowed to be called music, if i mistake someone for an opposite sex: "how dare you assume my gender" and now this. These girls ARE part of F1. Its a kids dream to be a famous driver and have a beautiful lady next to you. Makes you look up to the drivers. Lets not forget not everyone can be a grid girl...they fight for this possition, they get paid niceley and lets be honest they are there to meet a rich guy...its very simple math.

What will they do next, remove Victoria Secret models because its degrading to other females to look that good in underwear? Clint Eastwood was right. We are the pussy generation and we need someone to kick this world in the balls.

It would be the angle of the argument’s perspective that I’m talking out of line from, not the meaning of the argument itself.

I am saying that people are up in arms because they made noise, made excuses and pandered to the offended with their excuse, rather than keeping the calm by just leaving the grid girls out.

Their presence makes no functional difference, so logically no-one will notice if they just aren’t there from one weekend onwards. It is that simple.

As for aligning with the argument over objectification and such, I believe that women should have complete freedom to do what they want. Hell, I don’t even care if they were accompanied by blokes, kids and older people. It simply does not matter to me in the slightest.
Thank you for clarifying your thoughts. I think we have some differences in our opinion but I figure we both understand each other now at least, so I'm going to leave it at that!

they don't require skill to do what they do

Hmmm... if I told my missus that making sure she always looks good for work (which is a requirement of the job, and failing to do so can lead to negative actions) didn't require any skill - my gentlemans vegetables would be in jeopardy.

Grid-girls don't add anything to the racing and, honestly, they are a pointless distraction from the true stars of the racetrack: the cars and their drivers.

For any true racing fan, there is more than enough "pr0n" on the grid already,

Poor attitude, especially the bit in bold.

I bust my ass and make many sacrifices to visit as many motor races as I can, because I love it, I've spent a lot of money and time doing it. I happen to enjoy the tapestry of senses that a racing event offers, many, many things form that experience, grid girls are just one. There's plenty of other things going on that aren't directly related to racing, and sacrificing them because you've got some ridiculous notion that events should be about the purity of racing is simply narrow-minded.

You don't need a display of supercars in the paddock to enjoy the racing, or parachute displays, or fly-pasts... you don't need stunt demos, bands or DJ's... you don't need auto-club meets, or manufacturer displays. You don't need ferris-wheels, or fairground rides, or fireworks. You don't need promo people, grid girls, leaflet givers, people selling die-casts, team gear, tools, books, souvenirs, car-cleaning products, candy floss or pic'n'mix. You don't need autograph sessions, or driver interviews... you don't need the Tuborg beer bus...

... but going to events like that is frankly a bit dull (and could well mean the difference between the circuit getting my money for a Week/Weekend/Camping or Sunday only ticket).

I'll be honest, I take photos as a hobby, up to several thousand per event. Mostly of the cars, but it is nice to point the camera at other things, and yes, one of those things is the grid girls... other things might include, drivers, lorries, stunt bikes, architecture, cars in the car park, flags, clouds, mushrooms, grass, concrete, birds, tyres, air-guns, food, pints of beer, rain drops, other peoples cameras, marshals standing in the way... I do this because I like to capture my experience. If people think it's just a grubby little fascination with looking at pretty girls, they can **** off with their ignorant perception of my hobby.

In the old days of motor racing, pretty women surrounded the winner in hope of getting impregnated with the genes of men with balls of steel.

I only hope this change will also mean the camera man/editors will not continue to pick out pretty women in the crowd instead of watching the cars on track.

Fine by me, if any of you have not been to the AGP, they come up with the worse designs anyway. Saves the embarrassment.

I'm sure putting those number sticks with a secure weight on the bottom, costs less than a model.
Yeah, like money is EVER a problem for Formula One, LOLOLOL

This is a stupid decision, driven by nothing more than vile political correctness intruding on the public’s enjoyment of something. Do-gooders doing bad once again!

I’d love to see a stack of letters from female fans and grid girl advocacy groups complaining about this.

And the logo is hideous.

I'm not upset at all about this. I've gotten older and my tastes in women have aged with me. The grid girls started to become unobtainable in my eyes, so I started checking out what the stands have to offer. If you need me, I'll be at turn 3 seeing what sort of lady racing enthusiast are around. One never knows.

#findyourloveatthetrack

Jokes aside, I always thought Grid Girls were an odd thing but, I guess they added some level of enjoyment to the actual attendees. Watching a TV broadcast always had me scratching my head when ever they were shown. But when I went to a race at Watkins Glenn a few years back, the ladies didn't seem to be as out of place, because; many of them were dressed in advertisement themed outfits. That sort of worked.

The new sanctioning body of F1 has the right to do what ever the heck they want. This move, kind of adds nothing and removes very little for a TV watcher. It may be a bigger drawback for those who are looking forward to eyeing youthful women, who aren't showing signs of gravity's influence. Unless you too are at turn 3...

Good decision. Welcome to the 21st century.

You mean the century that delivers a higher quantity of exploitation and graphic over-sexualisation of women straight to your homes, TVs, computers, and your kids mobile phones than ever before..... yeah... "welcome! take a seat, have a cigar!"

That's not what's going on here and any rational person should see that. People are simply pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of things like feminism, which are supposed to be for career opportunities for women and promote the idea that they can be whatever they want, essentially taking jobs away from wen. It's politically driven as well and people don't like politics and sports mixing.

Back