Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 203 comments
Would you love to hear how you came to that conclusion.
Its kinda true though, Seb played the team game in Belgium and Charles ****ed him over Monza Q3, so even if it was a purposely preferred strategy for Seb he doesn't have the right to complain to much.

But its was accidental, and FAIR. Sebastian was faster than Charles, and Lewis, and everyone else. He made up 3s in the outlap, overtook him even with a pit-stop that was 6 tenths slower, and made it through traffic twice as fast as his team-mate. Charles also had 40 laps, a higher engine mode, and 3 restarts (all of which Vettel schooled him in) to overtake. He can only blaim himself.

Plus he should know Team>Driver

I cant see how Monza Q3 can be blamed on Charles, Ferrari were screwed over by the antics of everyone else.
Leclerc was going slow in Singapore because that's what he was told to do. Go slow to keep the softs going because the midfield are on mediums. It wasn't easy to overtake which is why it worked, and Ferrari decided to pit Vettel first to avoid releasing Hamilton, but sudden new tyres and clear air meant of course the undercut was a going to work as despite crawling at midfielder pace, the softs fell apart.

This is the third race this season that Leclerc has lost a race win through no fault of his own (Bahrain engine, Austria Verstappen's shoulda-been-a-penalty overtake) and now a 2 car undercut.

I don't know how you can call Leclerc arrogant when he isn't to blame for losing races he was clearly the quickest driver at, especially after qualifying.

Last edited:
The only thing I that kind of irked me was LeClerc over the radio towards the end saying he wasn't going to do anything stupid, but he did make a few comments that sounded like Ferrari should just tell Vettel let Charles have position back, that he should be the one in front, that team screwed him over. I get the frustration, esp. how it's already happened multiple times where luck just isn't on Charles side. But afaik, Vettel was still the lead Ferrari in points*, so a switchback was probably never going to happen (and Vettel probably would've thrown a huge fit), and the team made a call that worked out for them being the first 1-2 finish team at Singapore.

I'm sure in Ferrari's eyes, a 1-2 is a 1-2, so they likely will rather Charles suck it up than take the mix-up into account. The only issue they see is avoiding a Ham-Ros rivalry of battling for dominance.

Edit* Correction, LEC was leading WEC driver, so a switch-back was a strategic move, just not available with VER.

Last edited:
Would love to hear how you came to that conclusion.
He was absolutely unable to hide how pissed off he was because, apparently, the team got a strategy that favored Seb. His face since he left the car until he left the podium is of a spoiled little kid who lost his lollipop.
I'm a Max fan boy but today Seb was spot on, totally deserved this win and Charles should definitely head back to earth.

According to Leclerc, he didn't see Vettel going in. If he would have, he would have pushed more. And Vettel won 3,9 seconds during the in and outlap. Leclerc got caught sleeping, just like he snoozed during the restarts.

Want to be a World Champ? Gotta be ruthless. Vettel smelled his opportunity and grabbed it. Kudos to him for keeping it on the track under pressure for once, and yet, the top 5,5 (Albon is not quite there yet but closer than Gasly has been) was in DRS range of each other quite a bit and still we didn't see a proper fight because they are so matched at tracks like this, and they just can't follow close.

Let's can the abuse, folks. Have an opinion all you like, but if you can't express it without abusing people - and your fellow GTPlanet members - don't bother posting.

This is the third race this season that Leclerc has lost a race win through no fault of his own (Bahrain engine, Austria Verstappen's shoulda-been-a-penalty overtake)

Austria was just good hard racing. Both were pushing the limits on what’s “legal” and that’s fine. Even Leclerc agreed and followed it up with great hard racing at Silverstone.

Handing out penalties for every tiny thing is what will destroy F1. You gotta let them push it a bit. And Max was significantly faster than Leclerc in Austria, as once he got by he ran away from him. It was just a matter of time, even Leclerc admitted as much afterwards stating that he knew he couldn’t hold Max off the rest of the race.

71497629_2626185477439721_7036398475260461056_n.jpg

At least WTF1 managed to meme the race a bit
WTF thats my goddamn meme.
*Turning on F1*

*Seeing top 3: Giovinazzi, Gastly, and Ricciardo*

Wait what?

Given the season that Lewis and Merc have had, and some of the stats that have been rattled off demonstrating how bad Hamilton would have to have it to lose the title.....it’s kind of shocking that, on Sept 22, if you look back to the French GP on June 23, Mercedes have only won 3 of the last 8 races over the last 3 months.

I still think Lewis will win the title, and I think Merc will more than likely pick up a couple more wins, but this season is starting to remind me a bit of 2009. Not in that Merc found some sort of technical loop hole like brawn did, but just the way they dominated the start of the season, and now the competition seems to have caught up.

I think Sochi is an unknown after this latest Ferrari update. COTA is always a Lewis track, but I think Suzuka could be a surprise with Honda bringing upgrades for RB, and Mexico is always a good RB track. With Ferrari’s power, Brazil could turn from a silver track to a red one.

Interesting 2nd half of the season coming up for sure

I mean...I guess there was something to watch. Some decent mid-pack passes. If I'm correct there wasn't a single pass for position on track from the top five finishers.

I thought with newer tires and enough safety cars Lewis would have been a threat, but it didn't amount to anything.

Nice job for Albon though, showing he's at least got something there that Red Bull can probably work with. Norris finally securing some decent points (and well deserved as the field's official "7th place" kind of guy it seems).

Personally I hope this put some fire between Leclerc and Vettel. If anything that could be interesting to watch for the rest of the season, some proper Ferrari drama.

He was absolutely unable to hide how pissed off he was because, apparently, the team got a strategy that favored Seb. His face since he left the car until he left the podium is of a spoiled little kid who lost his lollipop.
I'm a Max fan boy but today Seb was spot on, totally deserved this win and Charles should definitely head back to earth.
That's not arrogance. That's being pissed off because your teams strategy call took away what would have been an almost certain win. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would not feel pissed off in such circumstances. Vettel was even more pissed off when the stewards deemed his transgressions meant he lost the race in Canada. Was that arrogance or just a pissed off driver?

Given the season that Lewis and Merc have had, and some of the stats that have been rattled off demonstrating how bad Hamilton would have to have it to lose the title.....it’s kind of shocking that, on Sept 22, if you look back to the French GP on June 23, Mercedes have only won 3 of the last 8 races over the last 3 months.

I still think Lewis will win the title, and I think Merc will more than likely pick up a couple more wins, but this season is starting to remind me a bit of 2009. Not in that Merc found some sort of technical loop hole like brawn did, but just the way they dominated the start of the season, and now the competition seems to have caught up.

I think Sochi is an unknown after this latest Ferrari update. COTA is always a Lewis track, but I think Suzuka could be a surprise with Honda bringing upgrades for RB, and Mexico is always a good RB track. With Ferrari’s power, Brazil could turn from a silver track to a red one.

Interesting 2nd half of the season coming up for sure

I think it'll be a similar story to 2009 where Button won six of the first seven races and then no others and still won it. Hamilton doesn't need to win any more races as long as the other four take points off each other. Even if Hamilton fails to finish a race or two any of them would be very lucky to take the title without winning every remaining race.

As Vettel was cheered by his team just after jumping out of his car, Nicolas Todt (Leclerc agent) was chasing Mattia Binotto for an argument in the garage. Catch by Canal + camera, but without sound.
upload_2019-9-23_13-4-15.png

Edit: was on the official F1 stream apparently.

Last edited:
Lifted off? Other drivers have the mind set to lift off when another car squeezes them to a wall - see Hamilton in Canada.

Okay, poor choice of words on my part. I retract that Grosjean couldn't have done anything. But what I meant was that Russell wasn't blameless. I'd say the stewards' decision to take no further action was fair enough. Tough that Williams couldn't break that consecutive double finish record; it just had to be this race, didn't it?

---

Good race from Ferrari in general. Three wins in a row for the team is the shot in the arm they've needed. I felt that Mercedes' apparent strategy of "stay out longer and a safety car might give us a free pit stop" would have been more logical towards the end of the race rather than the start. They were waiting for a safety car that I would guess wasn't very likely to happen at that part of the race.

Should have given Flavio Briatore a ring.

As Vettel was cheered by his team just after jumping out of his car, Nicolas Todt (Leclerc agent) was chasing Mattia Binotto for an argument in the garage. Catch by Canal + camera, but without sound.

I did notice that during the race broadcast.

Races like this leave me completely baffled, how the teams have access to so much data, analysis, and some of the most intelligent minds on the planet and yet can't see a 10 second gap in the field. Leclerc and Ferrari orchestrated the pace to remove the chance of an undercut with track position so important, but the window was always going to appear sooner rather than later. Ferrari got it absolutely bang on with their strategy, though I'm guessing they were suprised by the power of the undercut and were not expecting Vettel to jump Hamilton AND Leclerc. I can only assume Mercedes fear Leclerc would up his pace significantly had Hamilton pitted and stayed ahead, so they might be forgiven for missing the lap Vettel pitted, but I don't know what they were expecting when Hamilton then stayed out next time around.

Mercedes have tried this "extreme overcut" strategy a number of races in a row now I think, going back to Hungary where it gave Hamilton a great win. They clearly have the best car for making tyres last, but it isn't their only option and they now seem to be a bit afraid of trying something new to combat the need to race themselves ahead of fast qualifying Ferrari's...

View attachment 852921

That’s nice he was willing to argue for his client, but Ferrari have said it best. LeClerc is racing for Ferrari, not himself. They will always put themselves first for a 1-2 finish regardless of who it is these days.

Races like this leave me completely baffled, how the teams have access to so much data, analysis, and some of the most intelligent minds on the planet and yet can't see a 10 second gap in the field.
We even get this convenient likelihood of overtake gauge on the screen. Perhaps Mercedes should use it next time. đź’ˇ

I think Mercedes snoozed on the strategy and went for the high risk strategy. Maybe they thought tires would be a factor? Otherwise, they could have gone on the medium tires. In the end the 3 safety car periods saved a lot of tire usage.

View attachment 852921

It’s going to blow up between the two camps at Ferrari.

Giovanazzi got a 10 second penalty for this, I hadn't seen it until now... but I think this should be an automatic one race ban for any driver who can get into this situation under yellows. This was so close to being an accident with one or more fatalities.

Back