Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 303 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The 2022 Formula 1 season, and the brand new era or car design, started off with a bang last weekend in Bahrain. Straight away, we cross the Arabian peninsula to the Red Sea coast and the Jeddah Corniche Circuit. The circuit was praised by drivers for its high-speed layout and the racing was surprisingly possible last year, but the narrow and blind corners caused more problems than excitement. The track has been reprofiled in places after these criticisms (and finished in others), so we will have to see how those changes pan out. In a nation that recently executed 81 people in a day and have had to destroy missiles heading near Jeddah, I'm sure we'll get someone in F1 mentioning it. Right??? Get ready for the SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX!
image (2).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
6.174km

Race Distance
308.45 km

Lap Record
1:30.734
Lewis Hamilton (2021)​

Bigger wheels + wheel flairs = a lot more cars in the wall than a few months ago.

Let's see what kind of carnage we will get this time around. Last year's race at that track was one of the more frustrating ones for me to watch with all of Max's antics and all the crashes.

Interested to see how we go at Jeddah. The cars were 1.5 seconds off of the 2021 Pole time in Bahrain, mostly drawn to the slow corners and how difficult these cars are at slow speeds. Jeddah is pretty dang quick, and with the ability to follow closer than last year, could prove for some crazy racing. I'm ramped up and ready for the weekend!!!

Since there's not a general season thread, I thought these recent articles were interesting.

Ferrari won the first race, but has said Red Bull are still the favorites.
Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto reckons Red Bull are still favourites for the 2022 World Championship, despite the red cars scoring an impressive 1-2 in Bahrain, and says it’ll take “four or five” races to assess whether the Italian outfit can compete for the title.

And Horner believes Mercedes will find race winning-pace soon.
Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner has warned that constructors’ champions Mercedes will rebound, despite qualifying behind both his team and the Scuderia last weekend in Bahrain.

Rather than focus on the articles themselves, I'm referencing them as I'm more interested in the potential of a real 3-way battle for the Constructors and the last season 3 Constructors battled it out down to the last few races.

Now that Mercedes have taken a chainsaw to their rear wing, hopefully that removes enough drag to be competitive on the straights (Last year it was their big strength here, now it seems to be noticeable weakness). Their car seemed the strongest in higher speed corners last race so if they can retain that with less wing by fixing some of the other issues, could be more competitive here with the different track characteristics although competition will also be trying to improve. Just hope Mercedes can improve the rear stability as that seems to be hurting their tyre life, braking and kerb riding ability.

It was impressive that even though car was running far from optimal, could still pressure a Ferrari and Red Bull in early part of stints last race. They have a plan to resolve car performance and pit stops within a few races time, could be the fastest car if they can unlock the potential. It looks the most technically impressive car they have built.

Ferrari were quite fast here last year in qualifying. Now they have decent straight-line speed and strong cornering performance relatively, they should be really strong here. Red Bull being really quick at end of straights should make things interesting. Best of luck to the drivers regarding visibility!

Last edited:
They moved back the wall that Verstappen hit in qualifying.

I guess that's what you get when you don't leave space, even if you're a ****ing wall.
In retaliation, the 50M Board has fallen off the fence and was hit by Norris.

It's already on record that the drivers aren't particularly being there to begin with, it's not totally out of the realms of possibility they have an impromptu meeting this evening and decide it wouldn't be the most sensible idea to go racing with missiles falling out of the sky.

The higher-ups will no doubt engage in strong hand waving and insist there's no threat to the personal safety of the team personnel, spectators, marshals e.t.c e.t.c.

This situation needs a team to man up and fully withdraw from the race. We had it in Australia 2020 when a McLaren member got COVID and the team withdrew, we just need a team to make that same bold move and show F1 that they are not happy racing while under mortal threat. The missile came from another country and hit the second Aramco building in a week; they have bloody exceptional aim and the Saudis failed to stop either of them. If the Houthis want to hit the circuit on Sunday when the world is watching, they most definitely could.

A missile was blown up above the Formula E podium a year ago, the circuit is a deathtrap. Get the Eff our of there teams.

Last edited:
Back