Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 303 comments
Could we have another Australia 2020 scenario on our hands with a last minute cancellation?

The houthis would have loved the coverage this is getting so far so a 3rd missed strike in a week isn't off the cards surely?

Vetted would have something to say if he was racing this weekend I'm sure, I expect some other drivers to speak up over the course of the weekend too. If they allow them to attend media sessions that is.

Could we have another Australia 2020 scenario on our hands with a last minute cancellation?

The houthis would have loved the coverage this is getting so far so a 3rd missed strike in a week isn't off the cards surely?

Vetted would have something to say if he was racing this weekend I'm sure, I expect some other drivers to speak up over the course of the weekend too. If they allow them to attend media sessions that is.
Drivers as of about 20 minutes ago were still meeting to discuss so Vettel would likely be involved even if he's not there.

1648243190271.png

I know one team that definitely won’t be doing that:
View attachment 1128938
Marko is the guy who wanted to get Max, Albon, Gasly, & Kvyat together so they could be purposely infected with corona-virus ahead of a season. I wouldn't be surprised if a bomb went off even closer to the track & he said, "Let them race".

Edit* His actual comment looks worse. The remark about Mexico City following Perez being scared couldn't come across controversial at all....
"Max is pretty relaxed, Perez is somewhat scared, but if you live Mexico City it's not much safer there. But of course we have the pandemic, a war in Europe and now also a missile attack 10 km from the track. It's not normal or enjoyable anymore."

Tweet shared through Reddit says the team principals agree to go ahead.

Another report says Lewis is leading the discussion amongst the drivers.

Pilots' meeting continues. and tense. Ross Brawn, technical director of #F1 , has just been called up. Stefano Domenicali is also present. Reports say that it is Lewis Hamilton who commands the conversation with drivers and officials.

The pilots' meeting with the directors has already lasted two hours behind closed (but transparent) doors. And expressions are heavy.
At some point, the team principals left. They've reported to have returned.

There is a lot of doubt among drivers. Wolff, Horner, Vasseur, Seidl and Brown have since returned.

Side story; Ralf Schumacher, the Sky Germany co-commentator, is leaving.
According to Ralf Bach, who spoke to Ralf Schumacher via phone, Schumacher will fly home tomorrow morning. The decision to leave was not taken out of fear, instead a red line was crossed for him today and he doesn't want to go along with that.

He told Sky and they accept that. It is also possible that Sky Germany will detract more people from Saudi Arabia and have them report from the studio instead.

Another report that Netflix is on scene filming everything.

Tost and Mekies, on behalf of Ferrari, have now also joined.
Mechanics starting to throw in some input.

*Aston Martin mechanic deleted his post. Was along the lines of, "Reasons to have a night race? Hide the smoke".

Adam Cooper: "The guarantees of safety given to F1 by the Saudi authorities appear to be along the lines of this happens regularly, only commercial facilities are attacked, they won't attack the race, and we have drone/missile defences in the area. I'm not sure that everyone is so convinced"

Last edited:
Toto reading off a small piece of folded paper assuring everyone's safety was the most obvious "I was told to read this pre written message to the media" vibe ever.... I don't like any of this.

You would think that after deciding to not race in a country that is firing missiles into another country, that not racing in a country that is having missiles fired into it would be a pretty easy decision.

At the end of a meeting of almost 4h30 between the pilots, Pierre Gasly declared on the microphone
@canalplus
: "Everyone was able to give their opinion. We are all aligned with our intentions." According to our information, the drivers will be on track tomorrow without a change of schedule.

Adam Cooper: "The guarantees of safety given to F1 by the Saudi authorities appear to be along the lines of this happens regularly, only commercial facilities are attacked, they won't attack the race, and we have drone/missile defences in the area. I'm not sure that everyone is so convinced"
"This happens regularly"

That's not exactly reassuring, is it? All the more reason why the race should be cancelled. But if not (for obvious reasons 💰💰), the Saudi government better be scrambling all of their missile defense systems right now.

Umm...
BBC Sport has learned that a significant number of drivers had concerns about the safety of the event following the attack.

But eventually they were convinced to go ahead and race after being given further information by bosses.

Part of this information involved the possible consequences of not racing, such as how easily teams and drivers would be able to leave the country if the race did not happen.
I mean, not a surprise. They did - allegedly (by people affected) hold WWE hostage in 2019 after being unhappy with a decision to not broadcast an event (over unpaid fees)...

Yet another consequence of doing business with a blood-soaked regime keen on sportswashing (anyone remember the time it beheaded 81 people in a day for "conspiracy" and "terrorism" [when in reality it would probably be for apostasy and homosexuality]? It was only a week ago). If F1 had any sense whatsoever, it'd pull the plug as soon as everyone was out of the country.

Umm...

I mean, not a surprise. They did - allegedly (by people affected) hold WWE hostage in 2019 after being unhappy with a decision to not broadcast an event (over unpaid fees)...

Yet another consequence of doing business with a blood-soaked regime keen on sportswashing (anyone remember the time it beheaded 81 people in a day for "conspiracy" and "terrorism" [when in reality it would probably be for apostasy and homosexuality]? It was only a week ago). If F1 had any sense whatsoever, it'd pull the plug as soon as everyone was out of the country.
Yeah but where is the money in that?

If F1 had any sense whatsoever, it'd pull the plug as soon as everyone was out of the country.
Was thinking the same thing. Whatever the decision is for this Sunday's race (continue or cancel), once it's done they should cancel the contract on the Saudi GP, especially if these missile strikes happen "on a regular basis".

You would think that after deciding to not race in a country that is firing missiles into another country, that not racing in a country that is having missiles fired into it would be a pretty easy decision.

If you think about it, its literally the exact opposite scenario

Anyway looking forward to this weekend, should be a blast!

Last edited:
That attack on the oil depot was no joke. It's been going on for days. It processes over 1/4 of Saudi Arabia's output, including diesel and aviation fuel, this at a time when the entire western world is pleading for increased output from the Kingdom. To stage a Grand Prix within sight and smell of such a disaster is postmodern cognitive dissonance on a near-cosmic level.

Last edited:
This is a horrible situation for the drivers to be in, and let's hope the race passes off without further incident and the whole F1 entourage gets out of Saudi on Sunday night and never goes back.
Edit* Correcting story coming out, no press conference planned. Apologies.

Houthi Red Bulls...?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

It's a lose-lose situation. F1 can't just pack up the entire paddock and disappear overnight. The authorities can say there's maximum security all they want, but a missile hit a building owned by a major event and team sponsor the other side of the city. Cancelling the race would be a major political win for the Houthis, while blowing up the actual F1 race would make them lose face majorly politically and could bring major powers into Yemen to deal with them. Going on with the race as if nothing happened is dangerous, but probably the best thing to do now they are all there.

However, Formula 1 HAS to cancel this contract and get away from Jeddah. The circuit is just far too dangerous (quote by literally everyone) even without the missiles raining down. This Grand Prix is not worth the absolute nightmare it always has been.

Helmut Marko says that Sergio Perez shouldn't be worried about racing because having stuff being bombed is not that different from growing up in Mexico City.

And some people still don't think Red Bull is an utterly toxic team.

Last edited:
This was obvious that was going to happen. Terrorist groups do this for the attention and also since its F1 the houthis pick the right time since its a global event.

Really this is dangerous houthis have missiles and kamikaze drones they are backed by Iran. Houthis have been just bad as the Saudis in Yemen. Thats why most Yemenis hate both of them because the only thing they brought was terror and misery.

You have a stray missile or a drone that could end with a disaster here.

Last edited:
Perez afraid that something bad might happen which is normal to have fear or be scared.

Then comes helmut marko instead of supporting and comforting his driver he prefers acting like a p*ick.

Last edited:
Helmut Marko says that Sergio Perez shouldn't be worried about racing because having stuff being bombed is not that different from growing up in Mexico City.

Incredible ignorance from Marko

Perez is from Guadalajara

The full quote:
"Max is pretty relaxed, Perez is somewhat scared, but if you live in Mexico City it's not much safer there. But of course we have the pandemic, a war in Europe and now also a missile attack 10 km from the track. It's not normal or enjoyable anymore.”

Still a pretty stupid comment.

Focussing on the track action for a couple minutes if I may. Have Mercedes dropped the ball with their engine development? Highest placed Merc powered car after some fast FP3 runs is Hamilton in P11, only 2 of the bottom 10 cars are non Merc and that's the 2 Haas cars in 13th and 14th.

I know it's only practice, but they're slower ok the straights, with a relatively low downforce rear wing, and every Merc team is struggling. Perhaps porpoising isn't the only problem they have.

Back