Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 303 comments
Still a pretty stupid comment.
I wonder if Perez will act like he did last time a sponsor chatted crap about Mexico...

I can't actually find a transcript of the original German, only a video, but in the bit I can make out Marko says Max is "lockerer" (loose, relaxed) while Perez is "sehr ängstlich" (pretty anxious), and he says something like "but when you live in Mexico City* it's not much safer", but his accent is a nightmare and my rudimentary German can't keep up with structural words he's slamming in there.

It's also weird he's using Verstappen's first name but Perez's surname (well, his father's surname, but let's not go over that again). Although also quite telling.

*Which, as pointed out, he doesn't.

Last edited:
The full quote:
"Max is pretty relaxed, Perez is somewhat scared, but if you live in Mexico City it's not much safer there. But of course we have the pandemic, a war in Europe and now also a missile attack 10 km from the track. It's not normal or enjoyable anymore.”

Still a pretty stupid comment.
Missles are directly targeting a sponsor of the event you are taking part in. You're not just living in a city, you're holding a high profile event. How does a mind equate the 2?

Any other event would be cancelled for the safely of everyone involved. Even if a gas company was a sponsor because they can find alternative sponsors. F1 can't.

I wonder if Perez will act like he did last time a sponsor chatted crap about Mexico...

I can't actually find a transcript of the original German, only a video, but in the bit I can make out Marko says Max is "lockerer" (loose, relaxed) while Perez is "sehr ängstlich" (pretty anxious), and he says something like "but when you live in Mexico City* it's not much safer", but his accent is a nightmare and my rudimentary German can't keep up with structural words he's slamming in there.

It's also weird he's using Verstappen's first name but Perez's surname (well, his father's surname, but let's not go over that again). Although also quite telling.

*Which, as pointed out, he doesn't.
Point me to the video and I can translate it.

You would think that after deciding to not race in a country that is firing missiles into another country, that not racing in a country that is having missiles fired into it would be a pretty easy decision.
Being in the country being fired upon complicates that somewhat.

The Merc PU looks too be quite slow. Not sure what they can do to fix their pace.

Not just Mercedes but McLaren, Aston and Williams all look severely off the top speed.

Last edited:
Marko (bit shortened): We were directly involved. Max was on the radio recognizing a burned smell. Afterwards we were informed that a drone from Yemen was sent for the attack. I guess the date was choosen because the rebels will get way more publicity during the Grand Prix and that is part of their concept. There was a meeting with the conclusion FP2 will commence and afterwards there will be a declaration by the officials how safety will be secured.

Sky: How are the drivers feeling and how is the mood in the team?

Marko: Max is quiet easy with the situation. Checo is a bit scared but living in Mexico City isn't safe either. But we have the pandemic, war in Europe and now 20 km from here a missile attack. That isn't normal or comfortable anymore.

Ralf Schumacher: I would point out that F1 has a social responsibility and this should be a sign to take a look where Formula 1 will race in the future.

Marko: That is something we can't choose/have no influence but "some" are using the publicity now for this. Who would have thought 5 weeks ago that such a war in Europe will be possible? Where are you safe or where aren't you safe? Sport shouldn't judge this.

Sky: But there was a attack already last sunday which was prevented also a drone attack from the rebels, also towards Aramco. There were foreshadows. Helmut you still think it is right to continue (the race weekend)?

Marko: I suggest it's the right thing. Like I said those drone attacks are regularly. They (the saudis) have a good defense system. We have to find out why it wasn't working in this case. It wasn't the first drone but the first with a massive hit. You shouldn't be intimidated by such terror and when the safety will be secured for the next 2 days we should race.

Last edited:
It's a sobering reminder that not all racing marshals are good selfless guys despite working dangerously for free.

Adam Cooper: "The guarantees of safety given to F1 by the Saudi authorities appear to be along the lines of this happens regularly, only commercial facilities are attacked, they won't attack the race, and we have drone/missile defences in the area. I'm not sure that everyone is so convinced"
Ah yes, the missile defences that successfully defended against the attack of yesterday.
Luckily F1 is not a commercial event and not at all associated with the company that was targeted yesterday...

Hamilton at risk in Q1, having done two "fast" laps... while Russell is A SECOND ahead.

Saudi air defence systems are struggling in taking out small drones sent by the houthis due to their small heat signature and how their air defence systems can only intercept missiles and aircraft.

Last edited:
Hamilton is absolutely no where, while Russell carrying the flag for Merc. Kind of funny that Stroll knocked him out. Zhou is doing very well in that Alfa, good to see that so far.

What just happened :lol:
My God, those Mercedes engines are off!

Edit: nevermind, Russell in 4th

Last edited:
Back