Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)

• Thread starter joe8
  • 363 comments
I can't wait ..... is it a luanch title? if it is this will be my first game on PS3 .....Do you think it will work well with the DFP as I have one?

BMW318ciC
I can't wait ..... is it a luanch title? if it is this will be my first game on PS3 .....Do you think it will work well with the DFP as I have one?

interesting question... the DFP is USB right? but i haven´t heard anything fron sony yet... i hope it works... but if not, i´m sure they will be releasing a new wireless wheel anyway...

the DFP works with PCs too , so I would think it might work if you download some kind of driver , but this should be discuss in another topic.

That game looks SUPER boring. I couldn't even stand to watch the whole video.

Omnis
Gran Turismo isn't like that. Watching a hotlap around the 'ring = awesome. You'd think an F1 game would at least bring that same sense of excitement/speed.

The difference between a 1st person and 3rd person camera is insane.

You, of all people, should know watching a hotlap around the 'ring from a 3rd person camera (directly behind the car) is boring as hell. But watching it from the bumper or hood cam is stellar.

And GT does feel slow from the 3rd person camera.

Of course. The sense of speed of the F1 game in-cockpit is just as bad as their 3rd person view, though. That's why it's so disappointing.

Omnis
Of course. The sense of speed of the F1 game in-cockpit is just as bad as their 3rd person view, though. That's why it's so disappointing.

Well the game has been delayed till 07. Great they should consider leaving the year out of the title. Plenty of time to show off a full product. And to me any video of the ring is boring to watch.

no new shots solid, they are old ones that first poped up when the game was announced like over a year ago.

sprite
no new shots solid, they are old ones that first poped up when the game was announced like over a year ago.
Ah, OK. Thanks for clearing that up. I was so tired when I made that post. I didn't want to save it for later thinking I'd forget to make it.

It does. It almost makes me want to pull out one of my old F1 games and give it a spin.

Hmm Every F1 game i've seen even to this date... to be frank... is utter rubbish. And even though i played one years ago on a console (PS1 or 2 i'm not sure) and thought i twas swell.. it really wasnt. i was just making do with what i had. Along come GT3 and its physics engine and graphics.... AND the F1 car in it. And my feelings got solidated. There WILL NEVER be a F1 game that is any good untill PolyPhony take out all the 'other' stuff from Gran Turismo 3/4's engine accept the F1 car, create the current day F1 real life courses, and slap a big fat Polyphony Digital badge on the front next to "Formula 1 200*".. oh i dream of this like you wouldnt beleive...

Hell better yet.. just put the real life F1 courses of 2006 in and even some old ones like Hockeinheim (sp)(like in good old GT fashion heeh), afew different shapes of F1 cars to mimic differnt cars :P... and voila... i'm happy!

This game looks to be the same as all the rest unfort. I'll reserve judgment til l its out of course. But i can't help but think it still falls short of the accidental brilliance of Gran Tourismo 3 and 4's feel of 'just about spot on'.

GT3/4 is far from "spot on" anyway...heh if PD did it it'd probably have no damage and 5 second penalties each time you hit a car.

Besides, a Formula 1 game and a Gran Turismo game cannot be compared, they both involve cars and racing but they are completely different styles of game.

For "completely different styles of game" they sure as hell fit nicely into "Gran Turismo" 3 *and* 4...

And not lets forget the rally aspect. Since when was that GT? Nothing wrong with it being in there. Never said anything about them being different styles of vehicle racing. Gosh everything is different to everything else if you want to go that far.

Th eonly thing he has to do is put the Formula 1 world cuircuits in, and thats it. Best F1 game to date, it'd be. (taking into consideration the graphics, track accuracy/detail, physics engine etc).

I think you missed my point and what I meant by comparing them, but anyway. They'd have to put in more then just tracks, sorry but fancy graphics and physics engines wouldn't make the best ever F1 game.

What about the F1 World Championship qualifying system?
What about the rules?
What about the teams/drivers?

In my eyes, without those it's just PD making a poor mans F1 section to a bigger game, it wouldn't be a "Formula 1" game with other racing in it anyway, it would be a "Gran Turismo" game making of "Best F1 Game Ever" a little inaccurate

I think you miss my point... Those other aspects are F1. yes. But those other F1 games have those.. but lack the main aspect of a car game... a game engine that actaully feels right (with enough graphics to make it pleasurable). And GT3/4 have that.

So yes... if you want a "F1 Game" then those features would have to be there. But the chances of that are slim. And i'd give anything (nearly) to simply be able to race the car... on the tracks!

But in a split second i'd request the main features to make it more F1 if i new it'd actually be worth my breathe. But that just isnt the case... i've got more of a chance of getting more real world cuircuits put in GT5 then any of the above. hence... thats what i'm wishing for, anything more will be a huge bonus.

PS. There is no qualifying or anything like any other raceing style i've seen on TV in any Gran Turismo game i've seen (unless its hidden away somewhere and i've not seen it). So that makes it not much of any vehicle racing style does it? Jus ta heap of car's from a multitude of racing styles slammed into one common gaming engine (and quite a good one at that, yes not perfect, but freaking good none the less). And by far the most "perfect" car game ever created. Even if you dont think its perfect. Its the most perfect one to date. And thats what i mean by perfect. :)

Perfect doesn't exist. So I wouldn't try claim any game of any kind is "perfect".

It appears we'll have to agree to disagree if that suites you. I'm not fussed about what the qualifying systems are like in other motorsports because I don't watch other motorsports. But if I'm to play an F1 game (and I do agree that the engine isn't exactly wonderful) I want all the aspects of the sport of Formula 1 in it to be as close to the sport as possible, as it stands, PD are unlikely to make their F1 section as close as a dedicated F1 game. I play GT4 when I want to just race any old car for fun, and I'll play F1 when I want to play an F1 game. GT4 F1 cars are hardly fun to drive anyway.

[/rant and comments on the topic]

Please dont keep taking my comments to literally. I wasnt claiming perfection exists. But perfection in a realistic worl is "close enough to". And that is what i'm saying. Or in this specific case... "the closest to thus far". I'm not one of these 12 year olds, give me some credit.

I don't watch other sports. I've just seen them. And most racing varieties have some form of qualifying (or similar) that is completely different, or different enough, then any other. And when a game developer steps up to create a "sim" of a certain single style it usually falls short in the main aspects that make the game actually something really decent. usually the graphics and or engine. Thus... to have a game that has at least the major things "acceptable" is a step forward. No i cant have f1 qualifying... no i cant have drivers names, car names whatever. At the end of the day those things are cosmetic and although they add to the "realism of any vehicle sim" that they are trying to simulate, if the underlying attributse are gone. its just plain crap. like most F1 games i've seen. Sure some have been acceptabe, at the time. But really they all lack that certain oomph. that certain something.

And as we all know (thats why we're here), The GT Series has it - mostly. eheh It has the most potential.

Do you think F1 cars are all that fun in real life? From my comparisons, the F1 in GT is a damn good resemblance to the on-train-track F1 we all (F1 fans) know and love. :)

Just an rant... But even if they put different F1 cars in there, when it comes to a leader board or multi player situation; every player will use the most efficient car anyway so really have different capable vehicles (like say a Ferrari and a Red Bull) is pointless. Just paint the things a different color like they are and let the skill determin the race.

Pity we coudlnt get everyone in a ferrari or renault. :) (specially webber :P).

But anyways. its all good to ponder.

I found some new F1 Screens, the game is called F1 Champinship now

f101.jpg

f103.jpg

f104.jpg

f105.jpg

they look better than those screenshots from e3'06

Back