Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)

• Thread starter joe8
  • 363 comments
With playing the Demo, All I can say is that if you're a fan of the F1 series, this game takes the cake. The visuals are incredible and from what I can tell, the physics seems spot on. If you try the demo, be sure to turn on Damage and turn off the driver assistance options.

Hard to say what the final release will be like, but if this is any indication, it should be a great game for the series.

The heat, smoke, and water/rain effects are awesome!!!

With playing the Demo, All I can say is that if you're a fan of the F1 series, this game takes the cake. The visuals are incredible and from what I can tell, the physics seems spot on. If you try the demo, be sure to turn on Damage and turn off the driver assistance options.

Hard to say what the final release will be like, but if this is any indication, it should be a great game for the series.

The heat, smoke, and water/rain effects are awesome!!!
I've been playing the demo also and I love the fact that if you bump another car too hard, your wheel flies off and it's 'game over'! If you bump another car in the rear just a little to hard, your front spoiler gets dammaged, causing the car to handle accordingly:)

I'm assuming that Logitech Driving Force compatibility will be in place when the game gets released. It's practically a no brainer. In any case, I'll be there when I get my PS3... by February. :P

according to gamespot, the new f1 game doesnt have force feedback, even when using the g25.

In the DEMO it doesn't, but I wouldn't expect it to ship without it. Keep in mind there are still lots of things left to be done, and lots of time to do it.

how the hell can force feedback not be one of the 1st things implemented. well... for an arcade game, i guess that force feedback can be an afterthought

Guys,

This ones for the lucky sods that have a PS3 and the demo of this game. Are the sounds on par with what we've seen in the preview videos? From what i can gather the graphics are. Which is awesome. But how about the sounds? It was the sounds that really sent shivers down my spine when i seen those clips of this game.

After all... audio is 70% of the visual experience. :)

I have been playing this game for all of 10 minutes. There is no force feedback, this is stated on the back of the game's package. The sounds are great, I feel anyway. Fun game!

I see... and how about the controls? are they any different from the demo? the steering on the demo seemed a bit twitchy to me...

pics from other forum...only 30fps apparently unfortunately.
335039256_b2c7d327ef_b.jpg

335016136_1dddf3f49f_b.jpg

335154553_f9acfc6ad3_b.jpg

335156413_52244138e5_b.jpg

335151804_2bbb5fc9a3_b.jpg

WOW, the rain effects are insane. It makes me wonder how the hell those guys drive in that crap.

The game looks great, but plays a bit odd. I don't like how twitchy the controls are, and the game is a bit boring with traction control on. The game is impossible with all that stuff turned off, btw.

Meh, I don't think I'll get this one.

yeah, the twitchy steering could use a little more work... but other than that, I'm pretty satisfied... but regarding the TC, they use it in real life so I guess I can live with it...

can anyone be so kind as to point me to where I might find a translation of the Career Mode menu? thanks a bunch...

For racing titles I'd GLADLY trade off 60fps for amazing motion blur. Sense of SPeed > frames per second.

Personally, for racing titles that are supposed to be realistic (this game, GTHD, etc), I'd rather take the 60fps. While the motion blur in games like Motorstorm, PGR3, and other arcade games is completely acceptable (even wanted), if you're playing with a wheel the motion blur would seem unrealistic.

And the rain effects are pretty sweet, too. When you're not moving, it's just dripping down the screen, but when you're going 160MPH, the water moves to the side just like in real life. 👍

I think one of the few things this game needs is a camera mode where you're inside the driver's helmet, like when you're driving bikes in TDU. And you turn the Sixaxis to move your head. Another thing is 900º DFP support.

The F1 cars look spectacular. There's not any mind blowing detail, but they look extremely photorealistic. Even more than GTHD.

Woah, this is the first I've seen of the rain in in-game shots. Its so much more realistic compared to F106 for PS2 which just gets a few drops on the sceen.
I don't think that 900º steering is absolutly necesarry with this game, as in real Formula 1 the cars wouldn't need to be steering that much. 200º steering is fine in F106, just takes a little getting used to after playig on 900º mode with GT4.

Duċk;2526171
Personally, for racing titles that are supposed to be realistic (this game, GTHD, etc), I'd rather take the 60fps. While the motion blur in games like Motorstorm, PGR3, and other arcade games is completely acceptable (even wanted), if you're playing with a wheel the motion blur would seem unrealistic.

And the rain effects are pretty sweet, too. When you're not moving, it's just dripping down the screen, but when you're going 160MPH, the water moves to the side just like in real life. 👍

I think one of the few things this game needs is a camera mode where you're inside the driver's helmet, like when you're driving bikes in TDU. And you turn the Sixaxis to move your head. Another thing is 900º DFP support.

The F1 cars look spectacular. There's not any mind blowing detail, but they look extremely photorealistic. Even more than GTHD.

I dont' agree at all, in fact, I'd like to ask if you've ever taken a car to speeds as fast as you see here.

There is one absolutely undisputable fact. When you're traveling at speeds in excess of 70mph, your surroundings (to the sides) are blurred. No human see's everything in a crisp picture perfect "frames per second" value, and the way our eye's work, we SEE motion blur. This is why movies look so good at 24fps, because they create a sense of motion blur that is closer to realism.

If anything, 60fps is LESS realistic than 30fps with well done motion blur.

Enthusia did an ok job adding motion blur to the outer edges when you get up to speed. To me thats a good example of the blur effect working with 60fps.

From my understanding, this game doesn't provide force feedback with either DFP or G25. If this is correct, then I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon. I was planning on getting one during the summer maybe for this game..

I just pre-ordered F1 CE today since I was mega-impressed with the trailers I've seen on GameTrailers.com as well as IGN... I haven't had an F1 game since the PS1, so I feel ready for a new one... since I mainly play GT4 with the controller anyway, the force feedback issue is not that important for me in this instance (although I would be very disappointed if GT5 doesn't have it). The lighting and dynamic weather effects look great, esp. the solar flaring on the trailer of the hot lap around Monza...

edit: I just realised/discovered that there is no Spa circuit in the game :ouch: :(

From my understanding, this game doesn't provide force feedback with either DFP or G25. If this is correct, then I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon. I was planning on getting one during the summer maybe for this game..

Getting it for one game isn't the best idea to begin with.

Edit: Spa was apparently not a part of the 2006 season from what I googled.

Getting it for one game isn't the best idea to begin with.

Edit: Spa was apparently not a part of the 2006 season from what I googled.

I have no problem with getting a console for one GOOD racing game, only racing games count, since I know that there's probably some other games I would play, but it needs a really good racing game for me to buy it in first place. Example I got my Xbox for PGR2 and my PS2 for GT4. This F1 2006 looks like a very good game. Lack of FF is a major down however. If the next Gran Turismo doesn't support either DFP or G25 with FF, I might not buy a PS3 ever.

I have no problem with getting a console for one GOOD racing game, only racing games count, since I know that there's probably some other games I would play, but it needs a really good racing game for me to buy it in first place. Example I got my Xbox for PGR2 and my PS2 for GT4. This F1 2006 looks like a very good game. Lack of FF is a major down however. If the next Gran Turismo doesn't support either DFP or G25 with FF, I might not buy a PS3 ever.

Since I have never driven a racing game with a wheel I can't imagine why you would not buy it at all. Sure...I may be missing out on the fun of wheel racing but to forgo a game because of FF sounds silly. What do you stand to gain by refusing to buy the game?

Back