Formula One Gran Premio De España Santander 2011

United States
Houston, TX
astrosdude91
So this week we arrive at race number five. At this point Red Bull has established themselves as the team to beat, and the team intends to keep it that way. The way the season seems to be playing out, we may very well see Sebastian Vettel crowned 2011 champion before we go back to Asia. But if F1 has taught us anything, it's that anything can happen, and that's exactly what the rest of the field is banking on. So now we arrive in the Catalunya region of eastern Spain, near the city of Barcelona. The venue is the Circuit de Catalunya. So begins our two week Mediterranean shootout. Start up the lights and here we go!

Round V of the 2011 Formula 1 World Championship is the...

F1 Gran Premio De España Santander 2011
(2011 Santander Spanish Gran Prix)

From the Circuit de Catalunya

spanishgp.png

Weekend Forecast
Partial overcast throughout the weekend. Temps ranging from the mid teens to low twenties Celsius.

Number of Laps - 66
Circuit Length - 4.655 km
Race Distance - 307.104 km
Lap Record - 1:21.670

(Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 2008)

2010 Results:
1st: Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault)
2nd: Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
3rd: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)

2011 standings after four rounds:
1st ~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) ~ 93 points
2nd ~ Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) ~ 59 points
3rd ~ Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) ~ 55 points
4th ~ Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes) ~ 46 points
5th ~ Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) ~ 41 points
6th ~ Felipe Massa (Ferrari) ~ 24 points
7th ~ Nick Heidfeld (Renault) ~ 21 points
8th ~ Vitaly Petrov (Renault) ~ 21 points
9th ~ Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) ~ 20 points
10th ~ Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber-Ferrari) ~ 8 points​

Last edited:
Technically a placeholder is cheating lol. A race to be the first thread about the race.

Red Bull should take this one easily. Mark Webber won here last year. Maybe he can return to race winning form this weekend but the gap between him and Sebastian has been bigger this season. Seb's confidence has really grown, so he'll be very tough to beat.

My prediction is that Alonso will win comfortably.
I wanted to say it for him before he could. It is in no way my opinion.

Mark's first win of 2011 could come perhaps? Spain starts the test of the European circuits. After Monaco and Canada comes the rest of Europe and then after that things really start to heat up and things fall into place as to where everyone really is in speed. The mid-season is close which is a good and bad thing.

[Placeholder]

If the car crosses the finish line without its driver, is that still a win? :lol:

-

Should be a good race for RBR. I'll be interested in seeing whether McLaren can correct their slip in pace from Turkey...

Technically a placeholder is cheating lol. A race to be the first thread about the race.

:lol:

Well, I made a placeholder mostly because I didn't want anyone else to make a thread if I was already making one. It would become awkward to see two Spanish GP threads on here. And it's not really a race, since Tuesday did start over 24hrs ago. :P

I think you all know my predictions and hopes. So I'll spare you all any annoying fanboyism.

Ahh what the hell...

RED BULL!!!!!!!! VETTEL!!!!!! WEBBER!!!!!! NUMBER ONE!!!!:D :D

:lol:

Well, I made a placeholder mostly because I didn't want anyone else to make a thread if I was already making one. It would become awkward to see two Spanish GP threads on here.

I know. Was just messing with you.

astrosdude91
And it's not really a race, since Tuesday did start over 24hrs ago. :P

Haven't you heard of the Thunderhill 25 hours? :sly:

astrosdude91
I think you all know my predictions and hopes. So I'll spare you all any annoying fanboyism.

Ahh what the hell...

RED BULL!!!!!!!! VETTEL!!!!!! NUMBER ONE!!!!WEBBER!!!!!! NUMBER TWO:D :D

Fixed for you. 👍

Don't discount the effect that being on home territory has on Alonso. I think he could do quite well here - and we know the Ferrari has good grunt.

The Red Bull rake is greater than ever this year and over such a hilly course I think we could see them struggle with rear tyres more.

I expect a Red Bull win of course, I just think that Alonso may make them work for it more than they expect.

McLaren? Stiff isn't always good... and that's particularly true in the back section of this circuit.

Renault? Could be a stalking horse here.

Force India? Still on the phone to the job center... :D

Don't discount the effect that being on home territory has on Alonso. I think he could do quite well here - and we know the Ferrari has good grunt.

Home advantage is a myth. He might feel more pride to be racing on home soil, but other than that, it's a myth.

astrosdude91
I knew someone would do that.

Just realised how it looks. Didn't mean it like that. I'm a Vettel and Red Bull fan, so I'm hoping for a Red Bull 1,2. Particularly Vettel 1st, Webber 2nd. But I'd still be happy if Webber won.

Home advantage is a myth. He might feel more pride to be racing on home soil, but other than that, it's a myth.

There's actually a mathematical advantage too... Alonso has completed more miles at this circuit than many other drivers. That's why he's often "outperformed the car" (to use the hackneyed phrase) on a number of notable occasions at this circuit.

I doubt he'll win, I just the combination of Red Bull's profile and Alonso's experience at the circuit will make Vettel's job harder. And Webber's :D

With half the damn country there wearing Ferrari red, I think Alonso's home turf advantage is going to help him out. Considering how well he did in Turkey with the new upgrades, I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be a serious contender for the win. This coming from someone who loathes Alonso.

As for the rest of the field, Red Bull will be at the top of the field, beating out the McLarens (again). Renault will be right behind them, and Petrov might end up battling with Button towards the end. Massa will probably be some distance behind everyone.

This is the first time I've ever made a prediction like this, so everything I just said will probably be thrown out the window. :lol:

If the car crosses the finish line without its driver, is that still a win? :lol:

LOL. This reminds me of Dallas '84. I was there, and right in front of me I saw pole-man Nigel Mansell slow to a crawl coming out of the last corner on the last lap. In a seriously foolish attempt to collect 4th place, he began pushing his stricken Lotus to the finish line. In the 100+ degree heat, he collapsed in a heap beside his car and had to be transported to the medical center to be treated for heat exhaustion. He was credited for 6th.

^ It depends on how well the driver knows the track. For example, if I were to race at an Irish track with little to no previous experience there, I'd get my ass kicked. But if I remembered that track well enough from competing in low-level national tournaments then I'll stand a better chance.

Home races can also be considered a disadvantage as drivers (and teams and sponsors) pile on much more pressure on themselves. Possibly sometimes drivers might try too hard to win their home race that they make more mistakes than usual.
I guess it depends on the driver, but I expect Massa will have a harder time beating Alonso here if anywhere.

Surely the most cursed man as far as home GPs is concerned is Rubens Barrichello.

But for Rubens it's been all bad luck ad not him overdriving it. 2009 he got a puncture, 2003 he ran out of fuel? I think 1996 he beached it trying to pass Schumacher?

Anyway, speaking of the race. Red Bull. Nuff said.

And Alonso.

I didn't say Rubens overdrove, I said he was surely the most cursed man - suggesting he is the most unlucky at Home GPs.

Saying that though, Button has never been on the podium in Britain, though he has not had anything like the chances Rubens has had.

LOL. This reminds me of Dallas '84. I was there, and right in front of me I saw pole-man Nigel Mansell slow to a crawl coming out of the last corner on the last lap. In a seriously foolish attempt to collect 4th place, he began pushing his stricken Lotus to the finish line. In the 100+ degree heat, he collapsed in a heap beside his car and had to be transported to the medical center to be treated for heat exhaustion. He was credited for 6th.

So... it worked? :D

[QUOTE/]

Haven't you heard of the Thunderhill 25 hours?
[/QUOTE]

Im not the only one who has know of it, or been to it?!

On topic, I really hope McLaren can pull their heads out of their arses and turn this around.

I wanted to say it for him before he could. It is in no way my opinion.

:D

Actually I think that Vettel will win it comfortably. There is no one to touch him in qualifying and it is more or less impossible to pass on the track.

I'm certainly not hoping for a Vettel win though.

Unless at least half of McLaren's 12(!) upgrades have the desired effect, Red Bull dominance is likely.

Longest DRS zone yet

Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, has confirmed the DRS zone for this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

The detection point will placed right before the final corner, with the activation soon after the start of the main straight.

It means the DRS zone will be longest available so far, with 830 meters to overtake along the Barcelona circuit's straight.

It is hoped the long DRS zone will boost passing moves on a circuit where overtaking has always been difficult.

Interesting to see the DRS zone.
Montmelo.png

The detection point should be between 7 and 8, with the activation point at the red arrow after 9. Thoughts anyone?

830 metres will be too long. Sure it will produce more overtaking but cars will just drive past each other if they can use it for that long. I prefer the idea of using it in to turn 10.

With the last turn being so quick the trailing car won't necessarily always pass the car in front of it on the straight. Turns 1 and 2 help the leading car as well.

With the last turn being so quick the trailing car won't necessarily always pass the car in front of it on the straight. Turns 1 and 2 help the leading car anyway.
True, but the chances are once people's tires wear down the lack of grip in the final corner combined with DRS could make for some very easy overtaking. Of course, I hope I'm wrong :)

Boring track and I think DRS will be nothing like as effective here as we've seen at previous tracks.

Though I was glad to see the new owners of the track being open to track changes if it's needed to improve the racing.

Red Bull domination. I think Renault could be strong here too.

I was wondering when the FIA was going to put the DRS zone at the beginning of a straight instead of at the end. It should be interesting to see what happens with this particular case.

Back