Forza 4 details: Tyre simulation, Kinect head-tracking

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 146 comments
United States
United States
Dang, this game continues to work harder and harder on realism. I love it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289558/news/forza-4-details-tyre-simulation-kinect-head-tracking/

New Forza Motorsport 4 details have snuck out, via an MSN feature on racing game development.

Speaking to the site, developer Turn 10 revealed it's going to even more ridiculous lengths to make sure its racing sequel is the most realistic on the market, including scanning Bugatti Veyrons with 3D lasers.

Apparently, Turn 10's teamed up with tyre manufacturer Pirelli to create the "most up-to-date simulation of how modern tires grip or slip in a variety of racing conditions". Few players are likely to notice the difference, it's said, but the hardcore will appreciate the added accuracy.

Turn 10's also seemingly going the extra mile where accurate track recreation is concerned, renting out the real life version of each track in Forza 4 and spending two or three days to shoot terabytes worth of video and photos, and tracing the inside, middle and outside portions of the road surface with a commercial-grade GPS system.

The resulting game course tracks "road crowning, tiny changes in camber, or angle, and other anomalies with subcentimeter accuracy," all of which can be put in the game, it's said.

Of course Forza 4 will also include "limited functionality" with Kinect - which you can see here - including the ability to "walk around" vehicles and explore inside.

MSN's said there's also a "phantom steering wheel" to grip and full head-tracking, so "when you lean to one side or the other, the driver's perspective edges with you, letting you peer around a blind curve or just slightly around a car before passing it."

Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt said of the Kinect support: "I think we're just scratching the surface. I have the feeling that we'll all look back at these first few years of Kinect and reflect on it as a huge inflection point in interactive entertainment."

Here's hoping you can roll those super-realistic tyres around with Kinect...

Forza 4's planned for autumn 2011. See the debut trailer for more.
👍:drool::drool::drool:

I thought this was already done in FZ3 or is it just me? I did read an article about it just cant remember where but it seems to me that this is old news not related to FZ4. I could be wrong.

And, please, for the love of marshmallows, re-model the Enzo. I'm tired of that horridly overused texture since the original one came out.

Other than that (and some other gripes) I look forward to this. Hopefully it doesn't become a hollow image of itself.

If Forza 4 delivers on these claims, GT5's lifespan is gonna be a lot shorter than GT4's for me.

It sounds great. Forza 3 was a nice game overall, but it emphasized getting casual gamers (read: n00bs) behind the wheel. So it's wonderful to hear that they're focusing on upping the realism this time around with FM4.

If Forza 4 delivers on these claims, GT5's lifespan is gonna be a lot shorter than GT4's for me.

It sounds great. Forza 3 was a nice game overall, but it emphasized getting casual gamers (read: n00bs) behind the wheel. So it's wonderful to hear that they're focusing on upping the realism this time around with FM4.

T10 can model tyre as much as they want, but until they remove steering help, it will not be any better the F3 unfortunately, physics wise. I wish they never introduced that as permanent thing :-(

Luckily the assistance in minimal, and pretty much non existent when using the wheel.

I wouldn't think so, since i use fanatec wheel. The assistance is huge when you lose control and start sliding, and that was the biggest disappointment in F3, beside matchmaking. I really hope they will remove any assistance, or at least give the option to remove all assists. Otherwise we can never know how good the tyre model is.

I have the Fanatec wheel, and the assistance is pretty much not there, unless I switch to the controller, then it's there.

But I agree, give us the option to remove it in all scenarios.

I have the Fanatec wheel, and the assistance is pretty much not there, unless I switch to the controller, then it's there.

But I agree, give us the option to remove it in all scenarios.

When i am driving with wheel, i can regain control no matter which car i use.

But they should allow no assists for hardcore games. 👍

Odd, I haven't had that. But I agree, if I did, I would not want that either.

Fo sho!

The thing is, i really liked F2,and F3 and probably will F4. T10 have a great talent, that in my opinion, is hidden, and we can not see it in the game (physics wise).
I also wish that they were independent developers, not with M$, because i have a feeling M$ is hold them down :-(, but developing for xbox. Competition only get us better games :-)

I wouldn't think so, since i use fanatec wheel. The assistance is huge when you lose control and start sliding, and that was the biggest disappointment in F3, beside matchmaking. I really hope they will remove any assistance, or at least give the option to remove all assists. Otherwise we can never know how good the tyre model is.

you CAN remove the assists, what are you talking about?

you CAN remove the assists, what are you talking about?

There's a steering buffer modeled into the game to help those with a controller. In GT5, using a controller is a horror-show...for me at least. Using a DFGT, driving is a thrill. Conversely, FM3 users rely on the controller. Only a small % of the FM3 community (discounting casual gamers/racers) use a wheel.

If they made the game 'realistic', it would be nearly unplayable. Full lock to lock with your left thumb in less than a second is not 'realistic'...so they added a buffer to smooth your inputs.

Turn 10's also seemingly going the extra mile where accurate track recreation is concerned, renting out the real life version of each track in Forza 4 and spending two or three days to shoot terabytes worth of video and photos, and tracing the inside, middle and outside portions of the road surface with a commercial-grade GPS system.

This I have got to see. One of FM3's biggest downfalls was its lack of accurate track modelling.

Last edited:
I'm really excited about this news but I'll believe it when I see it. Love the fact that we are hearing FM4 is gearing more towards realism because Kinect's inclusion scared me that T10 was going the pure arcade route.

If accurate track models is your thing, then go iRacing. Nothing is as accurate as laser scanning the actual tracks. Both GT and FM franchises have had their tracks modeled pretty accurately but sometimes adjustments are made for whatever reasons.

I play with a fanatec. And I have personally tested time and time again. The assist and buffer is NOT there with a fanatec atleast (I know he SAYS all optional aids are off. But thats exactly how the input reacts when you have stability control switched on!). I cant say for the MS wheel. It is really not to different to the buffer in GT5 for pad users. Or any racing game that can be used with pads actually.

The buffer for pads is however over pronounced and unbalanced. Allowing you to be much faster without effort with a pad than you can be with a wheel. This is why I personally stopped playing forza.

I think FM3 made MS a tidy amount of money and as a reward, T10 are being given time to do this properly.

Back