Forza 4 details: Tyre simulation, Kinect head-tracking

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 146 comments
deftonesmx17
Glad we can agree:tup:

As for Kinect, I actually bet T10 was excited to do something with it. Look at all the home "hackers" who came out of the woodwork and got excited about it right off the bat. It's been awhile since a piece of gaming hardware was so accepted by home developers, so I would assume professional ones are just as excited to test things out.

Kinect was the reason I purchased a 360 to begin with. Amazing technology. Wish I had all the haXd software that I have seen floating around the Internet. Saw a guy creating 3D moveable video, similar to "bullet time" from The Matrix, except you can move the point of view in real time. Very cool stuff.

But ya, can not wait for this game!

Read a few previews today about Forza 4. Not an awful lot of information was revealed, but I'm feeling as excited now as I was waiting for GT5.
Weird thing is, that is kinda filling me with dread :D

But I genuinely can't wait.

I will wait to judge its accuracy as in previous forza games the cars understeer too much and have no feeling of when you can accelerate.

Its March. They are supposed to release it before the end of the year. Its 9 months away. They have shown virtualy nothing of it yet. E3 should give us a glimpse but in my opinion, they are brewing something BIG... Just a feeling...

haitch40
I will wait to judge its accuracy as in previous forza games the cars understeer too much and have no feeling of when you can accelerate.

Most people say the tires are too grippy.
It's all about individual preferences I suppose.

Its March. They are supposed to release it before the end of the year. Its 9 months away. They have shown virtualy nothing of it yet. E3 should give us a glimpse but in my opinion, they are brewing something BIG... Just a feeling...

June 7th cannot get here fast enough. I am trying to be patient but the last 2 teasers have me itching for more.

Spa Francorchamps will be in there, I am 100% sure.:D Mount Panorama would be soooo nice. And a 24h version of the Ring.

All the tracks that were in FM1 also but I may believe in Santa here...

^ Do both... Why not?
Blue Moutains was only styled after Bathurst. The tracks are actually night and day different. Blue Moutains is no where near as scary as Bathurst. I say there is room for both.

The same can be said for Alpine Ring and what ever course it was styled after. Some say it's Mugello but there are boat loads of differences between the two.

Personally I want to see Tokyo Gp, Rio De Janero and NY Long from Forza 1 in FM4.

-EDIT-

I found a pic of Blue moutain and Mount Panorama for comparison.

Blue Moutain...
Blue_Mountains_Raceway_map.JPG

Mount Panorama...
89_Mount%20Panorama%20circuit%20layout%20diagram%20copyright%20Will%20Pittenger%20Creative%20Sharealike%203-0.JPG

Last edited:
^ Do both... Why not?
Blue Moutains was only styled after Bathurst. The tracks are actually night and day different. Blue Moutains is no where near as scary as Bathurst. I say there is room for both.

The same can be said for Alpine Ring and what ever course it was styled after. Some say it's Mugello but there are boat loads of differences between the two.

Personally I want to see Tokyo Gp, Rio De Janero and NY Long from Forza 1 in FM4.

That is because they would get into trouble if it was identical. Take GT5's fake Monaco for example. Sure it has the same basic shape, but it is honestly nothing like it.

The expectation for Forza 4 is that it will take only the good things from GT5, utilize them, and make them better. T10 listens to the fans, knows what they want, so Forza 4 should be the game that completely eclipses GT5. Whether or not it does, we will see. The trailer they have certainly hints to using day/night cycles as well as dynamic weather. I thought I was excited the night before the Forza 3 launch, and further thought I was even more excited for GT5, but after the huge let down I cannot wait for Forza 4. I want a demo or something!

This is T10s opportunity to establish themselves as the pinnacle developers of racing sims for console gaming...let's hope they don't mess it up.

Sadly I don't see Turn 10 eclipsing GT5, at least not this soon. It sounds like a difficult task, even if GT5 is a flawed game.

(By eclipsing I mean being better in every aspect, or at least be so amazing one doesn't even consider GT5 as competition).

Sadly I don't see Turn 10 eclipsing GT5, at least not this soon. It sounds like a difficult task, even if GT5 is a flawed game.

(By eclipsing I mean being better in every aspect, or at least be so amazing one doesn't even consider GT5 as competition).

I don't consider GT5 as competition in any way. They are two different games even though they share many similarities.

As part of the 100% club of Forza 3 players and 97% club of GT5, I'd say I have a pretty fair opinion here.

To me, it says a lot that I recently deleted my FM3 save and started over. I am having a blast replaying a game which is over a year old, while I am already bored with a game that is less than 6 months old (and is constantly updated) and am considering selling it.

If FM4 has a decent number of Aussie cars, and Bathurst, I'd have to consider buying an X-Box just for it.

Who would have guessed? :lol:

But honestly, having played Toca 3 in my PS2 (which as far as I could tell, is not exactly the greatest simulator) I can safely say Bathurst is perhaps the most challenging circuit I have seen.

Bathurst is actually a track I wish I had discovered a long time ago. Played it in Rfactor, was absolutely amazed at the elevation changes and the sheer speed at which those V8 Supercars are able to go. Takes more balls than I've currently got to go around that track full-pelt :[

Would be fantastic in Forza 4, though. Maybe even the actual Bathurst event for the career? More interesting than the obligatory Nurburgring races, in my opinion.

I think FM3 already looked great. The thing is that other games, especially GT5, has a much better lighting model. So if T10 make improvements on it (and not just hype it up) then I'm all for it. I still want to see gameplay but we won't see anything like it for awhile. I think MS/T10 are keeping a tight lip on this mentioning only a few things over time.

Personally I think the eye candy which is needed for console titles kill the under the hood physics for these games.

It's a shame but nowadays your average Joe looks to the back of the box for graphics first, then reads the short right up on the back.

People expect amazing graphics and for a game to sell relatively well that's what developers strive for first and utmost.

Myself I would take standard/subpar graphics for more cars on track and a more PC like simulation.

Sad part is the game wouldn't get off the shelves though.

Eye candy really is the death of realistic sims on consoles.

Eye candy really is the death of realistic sims on consoles.
Illogical. Graphics are rendered on a GPU, physics are calculated on the CPU. And last I checked, a strong physics engine is still a selling point on game boxes. (Angry Birds, anyone?)

Real world physics have tons of oddities, and every single detail of the car is going to have an effect on them. No one will ever be able to calculate real physics in a racing game on any hardware in our lifetime, but getting the models and tracks detailed is a necessary step in that direction.

No need to be so sensational about it, physics itself, even, is still mostly just theory.

Wow, excuse my ignorance. I'm not programmer savvy.

I just assumed dynamic lighting and stuff like that would eat up what power was needed for calculating physics per second etc.

Great to know they can do eye candy without interfering with physics calculations.

Well you learn something every day lol.

Back