Forza 4 details: Tyre simulation, Kinect head-tracking

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 146 comments
Mount Panorama...
89_Mount%20Panorama%20circuit%20layout%20diagram%20copyright%20Will%20Pittenger%20Creative%20Sharealike%203-0.JPG

A map doesn't do it justice.

No one will ever be able to calculate real physics in a racing game on any hardware in our lifetime, but getting the models and tracks detailed is a necessary step in that direction.
Have you ever tried GTR2 rFactor or iRacing? Have you ever heard about rFactor 2 and its new tyre wear/deforming model? Do you know what rFactor Pro is? Seems like real life physics has already been simulated.. Find it in an affordable pc it's just a matter of time.

Wow, excuse my ignorance. I'm not programmer savvy.

I just assumed dynamic lighting and stuff like that would eat up what power was needed for calculating physics per second etc.

Great to know they can do eye candy without interfering with physics calculations.

Well you learn something every day lol.
They do cost in other resources such as ram as well as development time. It seem PS3 ram limit is one of the main thing held GT5 back.

(P.S plus at least on the PC better the graphics harder the game works the CPU)

You do have a point graphics and painting your car is the main selling points of console game vs PC sims. I saw a gaming magazine made fun of this which had had a diagram of "do-to-list" for racing. The whole list was about painting and tune the car while at the very end it got to the racing part: Start race, turn first corner , win. With the right upgrades and tune the car I won most of the races in FM3 after the first corner.

Last edited:
I could picture Jezza promoting the power and drivetrain upgrades.

'and this here is the Honda Fit....(long pause).......

they say you can swap in a turbocharged K20 powerplant, producing over 300 horsepowers..
and that you can make it rear wheel drive....!'

:sly:

Alex p.
Newest rumours:

-Jeremy Clarkson to comment your actions while you inspect the car with Kinect.
-Over 500 cars and 80 manufacturers.
-Head Tracking through Kinect.
-New lighting and shading technology, making the game "look 10 times better".

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/Allgemein/23123/2055028/Forza_Motorsport_4|Mutmassliche_Feature_Plaene.html

I will be amazed if it has more cars than GT2... That game is just untoppable... also glad its not just me that thought 'floaty' at fm3 Aall the time...

i wish i could use my g27 900 degrees with my xbox so i could play & enjoy this game..better than that i wish i could play this on my ps3 :D
i heard about a convertor a little while ago that was doing the job , connecting the g27 to xbox , but i heard its 200 degrees & has lag

I felt the same about my g25 when I fm3 was coming out. Trust me, best thing you could do is upgrade to a fanatec gt2 and enjoy the best that all platforms have to offer :)

You do have a point graphics and painting your car is the main selling points of console game vs PC sims.

Seems people here don't know the pc sim racing world too much, an exhample of customized skin in a PC racing game, Shift 1 on PC with a 905. Not to mention how much better looks the last racing games in a proper pc, F1 2010, Shift 2 60fps rock solid, amazing details, complete hardware support, tons of mods availables. Now the main selling point of console vs PC is... Money. Consoles are still cheaper than a Pc, of course they can't offer the performances of a now days personal computer. The problem in consoles is developers are pushing graphic details too high for the actual hardware.. Gt5 shadows, Shift 2 bad frame rate.. not a good idea imho. They should reduce details a bit and offer a proper gaming experience without any issue, expecially because you can't change frame rate in consoles.

That looks sick. 👍

But how will that look in a videogame, I don't know. It looks like it could made me sick.

Than i advice you not too move lol:)

It looks like it might be nice with a 3 screen setup. 👍

But until I buy the other 2 screens and the kinect I'll practice on my cheaper 3d version. Hop in my minivan and run on Full Simulation. I just have to figure out how to pay the body shop with credits after a accident. :dunce:

He He, spread the world lol.:drool:

Holy..... (!BIG FORZA FAN!). Damn, why am i finding this on a GT Forum?

Looks like Forza 4 is the racing game nummero uno! ON THE XBOX 360.

GT5 was great, but this will be amazing!!! :dopey:

Just played 3 ours Forza 3 today. Damn my Fanatec is ready!!!!

Holy..... (!BIG FORZA FAN!). Damn, why am i finding this on a GT Forum?

Maybe because GT players are not much fan-boys as FM fans think? We playing all racing games and love them all. And how it can be other way if you are racing game fan? It's a kids wars, leave them...

damn i hate that logitech wheel can't be used with xbox.. damn gt5.
There's an adapter out now, supposedly you can.

Sadly I don't see Turn 10 eclipsing GT5, at least not this soon. It sounds like a difficult task, even if GT5 is a flawed game.

(By eclipsing I mean being better in every aspect, or at least be so amazing one doesn't even consider GT5 as competition).

It will be interesting to see. I think they can do it if they don't let the suits screw them.

Personally I think the eye candy which is needed for console titles kill the under the hood physics for these games.

It's a shame but nowadays your average Joe looks to the back of the box for graphics first, then reads the short right up on the back.

People expect amazing graphics and for a game to sell relatively well that's what developers strive for first and utmost.

Myself I would take standard/subpar graphics for more cars on track and a more PC like simulation.

Sad part is the game wouldn't get off the shelves though.

Eye candy really is the death of realistic sims on consoles.

I hear what you're saying, that's pretty much why I've picked up a used copy of Race Pro for the 360 about a month ago and have been having a blast with that game. It's not going to win ANY beauty pageants but I love the RACING in it.

Maybe because GT players are not much fan-boys as FM fans think? We playing all racing games and love them all. And how it can be other way if you are racing game fan? It's a kids wars, leave them...
No , more like the mods and site owner(s) are adults here and seem to have a passion for all racing. However don't let that fool you. I've seen some head shaking behavior from some guys in the general GT forum. I swear I almost went and had a rabies shot after reading some of it. lol

The good news is that they will have 16 players online now. That's cool. Have to admit though with the group I race with we never came even close to having that many participating at one time.

No , more like the mods and site owner(s) are adults here and seem to have a passion for all racing. However don't let that fool you. I've seen some head shaking behavior from some guys in the general GT forum. I swear I almost went and had a rabies shot after reading some of it. lol

That's true.I know that.Just trying to explain to people that not everybody GT fans are blind fanboys. Those fanboy-kid-wars make video comments completely unreadable! Very tired of that really. :indiff:

Have you ever tried GTR2 rFactor or iRacing? Have you ever heard about rFactor 2 and its new tyre wear/deforming model? Do you know what rFactor Pro is? Seems like real life physics has already been simulated.. Find it in an affordable pc it's just a matter of time.

Woosh... straight over your head. A few things (off the top of my head) that those games don't have: tires that blow out, rims that bend, consideration of elevation/air density/moisture, how heat dissipates and metal expansion, the intricacies of moving engine parts, any form of water physics whatsoever... I could go on all day... wind or weather, track debris... A gentleman's bet that none of them calculate the temp of the road as different in the shade versus in the sun.

Why don't they have these things? Because the things they *do* have like resistance, traction, all the car tweaks, and weight/mass are merely close-to-life representations, and are not based wholly on real physics models; only fragments at best: just enough to give the perception and keep the frame-rate up. If it had real physics, they wouldn't have to program an exception for a tire popping, it would just be an occurrence within the physics model of the tire when the air pressure got too much for the mass of the tire wall to contain. But instead, it's just polygons, textures, algorithms and conditional statements like all other computer code.

There's a reason why you have to push gas to go, there's a lot of constant forces holding a car in place. All that data being calculated by a computer (or a network)? Not in our lifetime. Your "sim" racing game is to real physics as "The Sims" is to your real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_engine

Last edited:
(kinect head tracking???) i thought forza games are based on community feedback? and arent forza games meant for the hardcore crowd?

i wanna see improved physics not tyre simulation and kinnect head tracking.

pstar
i wanna see improved physics not tyre simulation

Doesn't one go hand in hand?

Also I'm looking forward (and sidewards) to head tracking.

Last edited:
pstar
(kinect head tracking???) i thought forza games are based on community feedback? and arent forza games meant for the hardcore crowd?

i wanna see improved physics not tyre simulation and kinnect head tracking.

Head tracking is hardcore. We wanted it in GT and we want it in Forza.

Tire simulation improvements are physics improvements. In fact they are one of the most important physics.

Back