Forza 4 vs GT5 physics (read the first post before contributing)

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 1,142 80.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • They are equal

Votes: 110 7.8%

• Total voters
Could you please come back to the topic of this thread? No one has ever come up with a good explanation on why one game was more realistic than the other (physics wise).

Me I cannot say to much about it either, although I own both Consoles and games. I have trouble to compare them because in order to do that I would have to pick a car I can get acces to in real life as so they have to exist in both titles. I mean you couldn't possibly say the Veyron feel unrealstic in forza, cos the thang corners just fine there, but not in gt5. There it is an understeering nightmare. So get a real Veyron for comparition... jk... I'd more likely become the next pope.

What I infact had was a chance to drive an E92 BMW M3 built 2008 on a opened-doors day weekend at the Nürburgring, I live not too far from there. Weather was dry and I turned off all aids, although I guess to completely turn off you will need plug in a computer to the cars ECU. But I'm not a Race Driver in experience, although i claim to be good driver, of course I din't push it to the limits all the time, also there happened to be traffic, fast bikes aswell as some apparently suicidle granpas doin 60kph.

Anyways when I managed to let it slip a lil, it was great fun and spending about 90 Euros a lap was more than worth it... At home I took a '07 M3 in Arcade Mode with Comfort Soft Tyres and all off exept
ABS and puttin brake-balance to 1 both rear and front, using a G27 wheel and driving really gently trying to do a pace that matches to the real driving I did a day before... next thing I noticed was I had to slow down at a corner a bit mor than in RL, plus the tyres weared out much to fast, so I switched to the standard Sports Hard tyres.

With the S1 tyres on it felt so close to the real experience I made I couldnt get to close my mouth from amazement, I remembered braking at the same times, tyres started screaming for grip inside the corners just like it. The only difference was when the real one, accelerating hard after a tight cornering, oversteered some more and broke out, so I had to countersteer a lil more than in the game, but it could' ve been for the tyres weren't the very newest (the person who borought the car to me claimed they had about 700 to 1000 miles of normal road driving).

Trying the same now in forza first thing I noticed how brilliant the Ring is modded on GT5! Every aspect is made 1 to 1 by PD! While Turn 10 didn't seem to put that much time in it, unfortunately. As I said I have a G27 and I dont own a converter so I had to use Pad on Forza.

Leaving everything stock, no aids ex. ABS again, well... you brake but you don't seem to decelerate, i find that irritating, then if you brake to hard you don't to have an ABS working, also I lost grip in a corner without accelerating, first understeering and the the back of the car brakes out? Didn't exactly match to the driving I did in RL, but yet when accelerating the back broke out exactly the way the real car did, having to countersteer and get off the gas, what I mentioned before lacked at GT5...

So my facit would be both games are good to be called Simulations with GT5 having some advanced physics overall, but Forza has gotten rid of beeing that Arcadish as its former title's.

If I should get me a converter (or Fanatec wheel) I'd like to go for another testing of physic comparision, this time with a C 63 AMG (I know someone who owns one ;) ) and bringin it all on camera, aswell as a better using of the english language for a better understanding. (If something unclear feel free to ask)

Last edited:
Flaco13
Could you please come back to the topic of this thread? No one has ever come up with a good explanation on why one game was more realistic than the other (physics wise).

Me I cannot say to much about it either, although I own both Consoles and games. I have trouble to compare them because in order to do that I would have to pick a car I can get acces to in real life as so they have to exist in both titles. I mean you couldn't possibly say the Veyron feel unrealstic in forza, cos the thang corners just fine there, but not in gt5. There it is an understeering nightmare. So get a real Veyron for comparition... jk... I'd more likely become the next pope.

What I infact had was a chance to drive an E92 BMW M3 built 2008 on a opened-doors day weekend at the Nürburgring, I live not too far from there. Weather was dry and I turned off all aids, although I guess to completely turn off you will need plug in a computer to the cars ECU. But I'm not a Race Driver in experience, although i claim to be good driver, of course I din't push it to the limits all the time, also there happened to be traffic, fast bikes aswell as some apparently suicidle granpas doin 60kph.

Anyways when I managed to let it slip a lil, it was great fun and spending about 90 Euros a lap was more than worth it... At home I took a '07 M3 in Arcade Mode with Comfort Soft Tyres and all off exept
ABS and puttin brake-balance to 1 both rear and front, using a G27 wheel and driving really gently trying to do a pace that matches to the real driving I did a day before... next thing I noticed was I had to slow down at a corner a bit mor than in RL, plus the tyres weared out much to fast, so I switched to the standard Sports Hard tyres.

With the S1 tyres on it felt so close to the real experience I made I couldnt get to close my mouth from amazement, I remembered braking at the same times, tyres started screaming for grip inside the corners just like it. The only difference was when the real one, accelerating hard after a tight cornering, oversteered some more and broke out, so I had to countersteer a lil more than in the game, but it could' ve been for the tyres weren't the very newest (the person who borought the car to me claimed they had about 700 to 1000 miles of normal road driving).

Trying the same now in forza first thing I noticed how brilliant the Ring is modded on GT5! Every aspect is made 1 to 1 by PD! While Turn 10 didn't seem to put that much time in it, unfortunately. As I said I have a G27 and I dont own a converter so I had to use Pad on Forza.

Leaving everything stock, no aids ex. ABS again, well... you brake but you don't seem to decelerate, i find that irritating, then if you brake to hard you don't to have an ABS working, also I lost grip in a corner without accelerating, first understeering and the the back of the car brakes out? Didn't exactly match to the driving I did in RL, but yet when accelerating the back broke out exactly the way the real car did, having to countersteer and get off the gas, what I mentioned before lacked at GT5...

So my facit would be both games are good to be called Simulations with GT5 having some advanced physics overall, but Forza has gotten rid of beeing that Arcadish as its former title's.

If I should get me a converter (or Fanatec wheel) I'd like to go for another testing of physic comparision, this time with a C 63 AMG (I know someone who owns one ;) ) and bringin it all on camera, aswell as a better using of the english language for a better understanding. (If something unclear feel free to ask)

So you havent been reading scaffs posts who has more than shown examples of why one is better than the other.

I did, but thats his opinion saying one was better than the other, while this is mine :)

and he was talking pretty much like: 'Im an expert, so what I say is right'

but to compare you must do it yourself, no? I was just trying to express my humble experience

ok I made a mistake assuming no one ever... I'm sorry

A lot of what you have said here would gel with my own opinions, a lot of why GT5 is great is down to how accurate the 'ring is modelled in it, its not perfect (a lot of curb heights are out for example) but in terms of corner profiles, etc its excellent. Which does mean if you get the tyres right on the car you are braking at the same place, etc.

However in terms of how tyres actually behave the tyre data and model that FM4 has really does make a difference, but a lot of it is lost on the 'ring because the FM4 track simply is not accurate enough (but bizarrely does get the nasty high curbs right). Which makes back to back comparisons of cars on the 'ring between the two very, very difficult.

I also agree with your comment on the difference they have made with FM4, I still rate GT5 above every past version of Forza, however the tyre and suspension modelling that they have brought into play for FM4 is enough for me for it to surpass GT5 in regard to physics.

I don't personally see this as a bad thing for GT at all, as long as PD take note, because if GT6 simply can't stick with the same tyre and suspension modelling.

So you havent been reading scaffs posts who has more than shown examples of why one is better than the other.

To be fair its a lot of info to go thorough and a lot of off-topic moments to say the least.

Scaff

Flaco13
I did, but thats his opinion saying one was better than the other, while this is mine :)

but to compare you must do it yourself, no? I was just trying to express my humble experience

Granted there is alot to go through but to make a statement like nobody has come up with a good reason why one is better than the other is a bold statement if he hasnt read the whole thread.

ok I made a mistake assuming no one ever... I'm sorry

I'm sorry but no I haven't.

I've presented my opinion as nothing but my opinion, any claim I have made that either title does or doesn't do something I have provided examples of it in action and source material to illustrate how it works in the real world.

I have not presented my opinion as fact, nor have I ever come close to saying 'Im an expert, so what I say is right'. What I have said is this is how it works in the real world and this is what is happening in GT5 / FM4, the problems only seem to start happening when I say something isn't doing what it should do in GT5 (when compared to the real world), then all hell breaks loose. Just as strange is that I get no such venom when I point out issues in the same way with FM4.

For example when I posted this list:

GT5 Physics Issues

• Tyre and suspension modelling very, very basic
  • Lateral g managed by a simple increment factor when changing tyres
  • Absence of any torque effect to front or rear wheels from a standing start (possible issues with suspension and tyre model)
  • Suspension tuning counter to real world logic
  • Lift off oversteer almost non-existent

FM4 Physics Issues

• Lift off oversteer not correctly modeled in terms of severity (in particular for short wheelbase models
  • Stability issues with braking need considerable work
  • Lateral Inertia on countersteer too light (makes correction a little to easy)
  • Grip levels off for some cars
  • Track temp does not have a significant enough effect on the tyre/track Mu value
  • Suspension modelling still needs work

Which clearly points out the basic issues I have with both titles, I get a massive amount of accusations of bias and not knowing what I am talking about and claims that I am lying and they all strangely come from one direction. Guess which one (and its not for lack of Forza fans in this thread). I don't know the reason but my clear observation (from the attacks made on me) is that GT fans (for the most part) seem unwilling to not only discuss physics issues, but to even acknowledge they could exist.

I would much rather exert my energy discussing the physics pros and cons of both titles that have to contently defend myself and counter plainly ridiculous statements.

Now I am sorry that you have just born the brunt of this, and I know a lot of it doesn't apply to yourself, however its got the point at which I simply had to vent.

Regards

Scaff

Last edited:
Maybe LeMans would better for comparing as they seem to be modelled quite on the same level in both GT5 and Forza, thing is the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring is the only track, a 'normal' person without any backround to Racing or Automotive Industry can access, but I might be wrong about that

I'm sorry but no I haven't.

I've presented my opinion as nothing but my opinion, any claim I have made that either title does or doesn't do something I have provided examples of it in action and source material to illustrate how it works in the real world.

I have not presented my opinion as fact, nor have I ever come close to saying 'Im an expert, so what I say is right'.

Scaff

I didnt mean to be offending, I simply stated it the way I reading into it, but I hope you take it as friendly criticism :)

These are video links on youtube for forza4. My only question is how realistic are these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-w8pceqXAY
356 mph subaru above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkR633LSG0&feature=related
0-100 in 2.1secs audi rs2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6vk-lZ6yE&feature=related
Check the Hummer H1 this is really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvdynk4qCoU
How much horses does it take for a hummer to do this?

Copy and paste the links, please enjoy.

Do you still think forza has the better physics forza guys?

I don't want to start anothe off topic discussion but I don't have the spare time to read my way through the whole thread thelvynau

These are video links on youtube for forza4. My only question is how realistic are these?

356 mph subaru above.
Vmax aero issues exist in both titles.

You might want to check out some of the GT5 drag times as well.

And ?????

Have you never seen videos of this being done with a wide range of 4x4 in the Middle East?

Horse don't matter torque does, it has however been patched out (and was done shortly after launch).

Yes but I'm also not of the opinion that either are perfect.

Videos of GT5 doing equally strange things are more than possible to find, but they don't exactly move this discussion forward in a sensible manner.

Scaff

What do you mean by: 'Suspension tuning counter to real world logic'? I'm sure you had to explain before but I would appreciate your explanation to me.

For example: Shock Absorbers in racing can be adjusted from 1 to 10 with steps of 1 not in 0.5 steps like forza showes, as far as I know

The only real problem i see in suspension adjustment is the way the players adjust them (goes for both titles), but i dont see them unrealistic, really. The developers could just give a better explanation to it, otherwise they could have left it to some bars going from hard to soft, but then everybody would cry out for the games beeing arcadish

I should use the edit icon whenever I want to edit anything, thats why it says Editing... is what my dad would say, lol thanks Famine, and sorry

Last edited:

356 mph subaru above.

That FM4 video uses a modified game, by the way. Though there are strange physics errors up at the highest speeds in both games.

I have a Subaru that does it in the same time in GT5...

Almost as good as the Mazda?

Roughly as much as this, I imagine:

Copy and paste the links, please enjoy.

Like Scaff said, videos of odd physics instances exist in both games (as I've just proven). Both PD and T10 need to plug whatever hole causes the unrealistic wheelies, but some things, like the crazy SUV and side-riding Hummer, are possible in game because the extremities of the tuning options (camber, suspension stiffness, etc) allow for it, though no right-minded person would ever recreate those settings in the real world. Also, both games still treat rollover sort of... strangely, with a lack of weight feeling from both (like GT's infamous auto-pilot video highlighting this and some other issues):

When you explore the outer edges of the physics envelope in either game, bizarre things happen, I won't argue that. Staying within the realm of what you'd typically encounter on a daily basis, however, I still find FM4 more realistic.

Because that isn't something that is done in real life all the time. Hell, I've done that on accident in my Blazer.

For that matter:

You were saying?

LOL, I drive a Mercedes Truck, after Easter I´ll try that with it!!!

Be sure to buckle up.

:lol:

We´ll see, 460bhp is a number, but unfortunately its made for picking up Container Boxes, meaning the rear axels are far behind, its just too long, but like I said I´ll try and if I made it, I´ll post a vid or pic right here

What do you mean by: 'Suspension tuning counter to real world logic'? I'm sure you had to explain before but I would appreciate your explanation to me.

Just head over to the Tuning subforum and have a quick search for the term 'suspension backwards' to see what I mean. This thread is just an example:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=231359&highlight=ride+height+backwards

Its pretty much agreed by most that ride height adjustments don't have the same effect on a car as they do in real life.

For example: Shock Absorbers in racing can be adjusted from 1 to 10 with steps of 1 not in 0.5 steps like forza showes, as far as I know
Damper (shock absorbers) adjustment is done by 'clicks' and no actually agreement exists as to what a 'click' is.

As such neither GT or FM are right or wrong on that score.

LOL, I drive a Mercedes Truck, after Easter I´ll try that with it!!!
Should be interesting :scared:

Scaff

I have one proposal for you and to all members with the similar attitude.

Please notice how that proposal asks for some investment - investment of both of your time and some amount money - but as always in life, in order to achieve proper degree of cognition, you have to make a sacrifice.

In order to comprehend all of us who are very, very hard-core fans of GT series but still willing to cut the Forza series - especially Forza 4 - great amount of slack, you unfortunately have to do the following:

You have to get a hold of:

- X360 console
- copy of Forza Motorsport 4
- Fanatec CSR wheel - even better, Fanatec CSR Elite wheel
- proper Fanatec pedals (basic CSR will do, but I strongly recommend you superior CSW model)
- proper cockpit for that wheel

Once you got all of that go to game options and turn off all assists and use the Simulation setting. In the in-game Wheel Options alter all values to your preference, while I propose you the following setting for the Fanatec wheels:

SEN 900 | FF 80 | SHO 70 | DRI 000 | ABS 50 | LIN 0 | DEA 0 | SPR 0 | DPR 0 |

Than go to any track and start driving. Give yourself some time, I humbly propose you approx. 10 hours in testing various cars on various tracks and various tyre-configurations.

Once you've done that, I invite you to return here and share your opinion with all of us. Personally, I am more than ready to jump into any conversation and have a healthy debate about the matter.

If any of above prerequisites are not met, than I unfortunately have to say how it is hard to explain something to someone if that someone have no idea what he is talking about.

Regards 👍

Please notice how that proposal asks for some investment - investment of both of your time and some amount money - but as always in life, in order to achieve proper degree of cognition, you have to make a sacrifice.

In order to comprehend all of us who are very, very hard-core fans of GT series but still willing to cut the Forza series - especially Forza 4 - great amount of slack, you unfortunately have to do the following:

- X360 console
- proper Fanatec pedals (basic CSR will do, but I strongly recommend you superior CSW model)

Once you got all of that go to game options and turn off all assists and use the Simulation setting. In the in-game Wheel Options alter all values to your preference, while I propose you the following setting for the Fanatec wheels:

Than go to any track and start driving. Give yourself some time, I humbly propose you approx. 10 hours in testing various cars on various tracks and various tyre-configurations.

Once you've done that, I invite you to return here and share your opinion with all of us. Personally, I am more than ready to jump into any conversation and have a healthy debate about the matter.

If any of above prerequisites are not met, than I unfortunately have to say how it is hard to explain something to someone if that someone have no idea what he is talking about.

Regards 👍

What a good example of the snobish attitude displayed all to often in this thread.......your basically saying if somebody hasn't dropped $1000 on thier racing rigg then they have no place being involved in the debate.

God forbid somebody who has just the console and a controller be allowed to express an opinion huh?

- X360 console

Regards 👍

Well said. I first off have too say that i own both games and i have played them both as for previous iterations for well over 6 year. I know every corner of every game and i can only tell you one thing. If you played them both you will come too the conclusion that FM4 is not only more immersive both just better on ALL levels. Gt5 does has its good things like rally although terribly executed. GT5 for me is only fun when i press pause and go to photomode. Although fm is creeping ever closer. For everything else i go to FM4.

GT5 was a dissapointing game from day one.. The UI, the engine noise, tuning, A-spec, B-spec(Boooring), GT Auto, Standards.., Car selection, just plain dumb interaction and game design choices, now Kaz wants too give us more japanese dlc cars.....ughh. Spa was good though.

What a good example of the snobish attitude displayed all to often in this thread.......your basically saying if somebody hasn't dropped $1000 on thier racing rigg then they have no place being involved in the debate.

God forbid somebody who has just the console and a controller be allowed to express an opinion huh?

That's certainly quite an interesting way of interpreting that statement.

I mean, I could have sworn that Amar was simply saying that those are the prerequesites that are required to get the best grasp of some of the opinions in this thread, but if you want to change that to mean "unless you have all of these things you aren't allowed to talk" then be my guest.

While adequate equipment is good to have it shouldn't be necessary to have the best possible wheel to tell the difference. For example the DFP I have had since the year GT4 came out has been more than enough to make it possible for me to tell the difference between different games.

While I have been interested in Xbox and Forza for some time the poor wheel support and the need to invest a big sum of money for Fanatech wheels has been putting me off (compared to Logitech equipment). How much is the G27 converter that some people have been mentioning? I really need to get a better paying job... :P

That's certainly quite an interesting way of interpreting that statement.

I mean, I could have sworn that Amar was simply saying that those are the prerequesites that are required to get the best grasp of some of the opinions in this thread, but if you want to change that to mean "unless you have all of these things you aren't allowed to talk" then be my guest.

Perhaps I misinterpreted

although I am not sure how that can be thought of as saying anything other than "If you don't have the $1000+ rigg mentioned above then dont bother us with your opinion."

I don't think limiting the debate on physics to the 0.05% of players that have a top end rigg has any value. The games physics are shared by everybody no matter if they play with a little old controller or a ultra high end wheel and pedals in a full cockpit and the merits of the games physics can be debated in all of those configurations.

Just my opinion.

Please do keep in mind that English is not amar212's first language and as such a literal interpretation may be problematic.

However the core point I believe is that some feel they can comment on Forza without investing time and effort into actually trying it.

Scaff

DaveS1138

Hey, your the guy who didn't want saves for an endurance race aren't you?

God forbid anyone has a real life.

Please do keep in mind that English is not amar212's first language and as such a literal interpretation may be problematic.

However the core point I believe is that some feel they can comment on Forza without investing time and effort into actually trying it.

Scaff

A fair point. As I said I may have misunderstood the comment but it's certainly how it read to me.

Hey, your the guy who didn't want saves for an endurance race aren't you?

God forbid anyone has a real life.

One of several yes.

This has what to do with Forza 4 vs GT5 physics exactly?

Spagetti69
impossible to save Forzas physics mid stride. GT you can.

Obvious really.

Whats obvious?please share.

Yes forza simulates roll and deformation in it's tyre model,but does that make it more accurate?
Honda nsx type-r 2002 model. http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/honda_nsx-r.html did a 1:04.95 around tsukuba,i managed (comfort softs,completely stock and oil change in practice mode,tyre wear on,track edge set to real and light damage) a 1:05.20,another ten laps i might of squeezed it,also i was driving as if i would have died if i crashed(i use no assists at all inc. NO ABS),so in other words not trying to be a hero.

Now i would run the same thing in forza(but as i have stated earlier,my box is dead)so if someone here with forza4 could do this and post their laptime,and please be honest about it.
Just in case no-one wants to read back,yes i have a wheel,fanatec porsche turbo s with clubsports and six speed shifter,i use the clutch on anything it allows.

Last edited:
Back