Forza 4 vs GT5 physics (read the first post before contributing)

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 1,142 80.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • They are equal

Votes: 110 7.8%

• Total voters
Proper braking without ABS on in Forza is the quickest way to stop. Now I don't know if that is true to life but that's the way it is in Forza.

I like the way the game rewards you for turning an aid off though. It would be counter intuitive to have to run aids to go quicker, or slower in this case.

A lot of that is down to the tuning of the brakes also though. Providing you fit racing brakes and set the correct bias and pressure. One of the easiest parts to tune and set up too. Ironically after setting the brakes, they act very similar to Toronados explanation of ABS in GT.

Damn I haven't played Forza in Ages. Time to get back on. See what profits my SF has generated. He he.

Edit. Toronado, you on Forza as well now ?

Last edited:
I've been on it off and on for the past 6 months, but a lot more for the past two weeks since I got bored with Far Cry 3 (and actually have my own 360).

I'm not saying that the ABS fm4 has flaws, I like howit works. In gt5 I never turned off the abs, because it did not make sense and benefit.But in fm4 I bought CSR-E pedals, and at first I ridden with abs ON, but it was very uncomfortable with the CSR-E pedals. and when I tried to ride with, abs off,

I was very surprised , The slowdown was much more effective, and the car has become more interesting and easier to braking with ABS off

But in fm4 difference in stopping distance with ABS and non-ABS is quite big. I think somewhere in the 1\8, 1\6, is it real?

You should give no ABS in GT5 a try, I think braking with ABS and without in GT5 produces similar distance ( same car, tire and tune ), of course it also depend on the driver too. Here is an example of no ABS driving in GT5, using street tire ( comfort medium ) and tire wear on, grip real. I think braking distance and performance in GT5 is pretty realistic when within limits ( no ABS of course ).

The car is Dodge Viper GTS '02 at Daytona Road Course, the car is stock, comfort medium, only BB was changed. 2:10.372, 438HP, 1569kg.

FM4 without ABS should also closer to real life and similar to no ABS in GT5, when compared with similar street tire ( comfort tires in GT5, not sure about FM4 )

Also this is another example with the least grip level tire in GT5, comfort hard and one of the difficult to handle car : Lancia Stratos.

Bone stock Lancia Stratos '73. The car was bought from UCD, with over 10,8xxx,x miles. It has 185hp, 410pp painted in York Green.

The track : Nurburgring GP/F, Comfort Hard tires ( for 420pp/less cars ), no ABS or other aids, grip real, tire wear/fuel consumption on. The time is 2:47.090, not my best, but it sure was fun.

In my opinion, the best way to enjoy GT5 driving is without ABS, the car comes to life, a totally different experience than with ABS.

TwistyDrift
Agreed, I still use ASB anyway but I do turn it off when I feel like doing more footwork and battling the wheel.

Seems like i battle less with my wheel without ABS. Maybe because i know how no ABS should feel

When using stick controller in GT5, downshifting from high speed and over revving the engine, the game will engage auto clutch, but the throttle stays locked at 100% ( PD's bug ? ) - thus barely any engine braking, it is noticeable by the dimmed gear number, just like when the car is stopped/stationary, the gear number will be dimmed and the auto clutch is engaged. Holding the brake, while stationary will allow the engine to be revved.

I don't know about using wheel + clutch shifter, but as long as the clutch is not engaged when braking + over revving, engine braking should exist in GT5.

Ridox2JZGTE
I don't know about using wheel + clutch shifter, but as long as the clutch is not engaged when braking + over revving, engine braking should exist in GT5.
It does exist. I have a G27. If i am flying down a straight and want to stop. I can heal toe (just like in real life). Or I can even slam my car on say 1st gear from 6th gear and engine brake the crap out of it. Enabling me to stop faster than any DS3/DFGT user can.

But yes. When you are in gear and stopped and are not pushing the clutch the engine will be turned off (yes completely off) with the gear light highlighted as you are still in that gear. Only when pushing the clutch down does the gear light turn dim.

Also there is actually a neutral gear.

See this is picture is after i dumped the clutch in 1st and put it in neutral....
2013-01-01002958_zps8047e3a7.jpg

Also while you do engine braking GT5 has no rev limiter while down shifting

The video of FM4 above by Shved111 shown the Supra over revving the engine, which subsequently causing shock to the driveline and the driving wheel losing traction. This is not possible in GT5 when using stick controller, as the game will engage the clutch, the car will simply coast while the engine revs freely to redline ( stays locked at 100% throttle by the game ). Unless maybe with wheel+clutch, the same thing might happen as in FM4 video above.

As for engine braking while braking into a corner, it does exist in GT5, if you watched my no ABS videos posted above, you can see it subtly while I am braking - not really pronounced - I am using stick.

Last edited:
Ridox2JZGTE
The video of FM4 above by Shved111 shown the Supra over revving the engine, which subsequently causing shock to the driveline and the driving wheel losing traction. This is not possible in GT5 when using stick controller, as the game will engage the clutch, the car will simply coast while the engine revs freely. Unless maybe with wheel+clutch, the same thing might happen as in FM4 video above.

As for engine braking while braking into a corner, it does exist in GT5, if you watched my no ABS videos posted above, you can see it subtly while I am braking - not really pronounced - I am using stick.

I used to say the same thing. And you are correct. It is a form of it. BUT IT ISN'T THE SAME. And you have to admit it isn't 100% that.

shved111
In gt5 no braking downshifts, engine braking on sequential gearbox.
And there is fm4

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amyru2ZAYM4">YouTube Link</a>

Yep. You can only do that with a wheel like i have or G25 or Thrustmaster ect.

I mean i might get flack for saying this and that one guy posting the video with a real life car with a PS3 like controller. But i honestly believe that GT5 was meant to be played on a wheel and not on a controller. And i can say to that video of the car with the controller for a steering wheel it is NOT a simulation.

I mean honestly if you think driving a car with a controller in real life or on the game is simulation I don't know what to tell you. That is just my opinion. It seems logical too.

Ridox2JZGTE
^ yeah, over revving / short shifting is not really engine braking technique, more like engine/transmission abuse :D

Yep with the right equipment. But in GT5 of course the engines won't blow up over time like Forza

Engine braking does exist in GT5. Contrary to a video I posted on this thread several months ago, engine braking does exist under the correct circumstances. For example, if you braked a bit too late into a corner, you can downshift an extra gear to get it to slow down.

The effects of engine braking can be illustrated here: (8:40)

1241Penguin
Engine braking does exist in GT5. Contrary to a video I posted on this thread several months ago, engine braking does exist under the correct circumstances. For example, if you braked a bit too late into a corner, you can downshift an extra gear to get it to slow down.

The effects of engine braking can be illustrated here: (8:40)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OkComcULo">YouTube Link</a>

Yep

I've owned Forza 4 for quite some time now, and I've had GT5 since launch, and to be honest - I love BOTH games! There's just one comparison I'd like to make, and that's a huge difference between the two games. I am talking of course about the physics.

Let me start by just stating that I absolutely enjoy the heck out of Forza 4. It's a great game, a wholly complete package and it's filled to the brim with things to earn, collect and find out.

There's just one issue with Forza 4 compared to GT5 (despite all it's pro's over GT, sorry guys but it's true). It's something I actually found out because of my girlfriend (hey, I'm training my girlfriend to be my moneymonkey!)

I saw her play both GT5 and Forza 4 for quite some time, but the difference between the games is that in GT5, with a fully souped up Mustang, she doesn't make it through any of the first three corners of Laguna Seca at all (I like that circuit as much as the Nurb for training), while in Forza, she runs the track and destroys the competition with ease (and it's set to professional, the A.I. I mean, combined with the sim steering settings and every assist off). Both games are played with a pad because the wheel (DFGT) is still off-limits for her (her own words). That got me thinking, is GT5 more realistic because of it's difficulty or is Forza more true to life because of it's simplicity?

This is not to provoke anything, it just struck me like lightning. What are your thoughts on how this can be? Is either game more realistic because of it's simplicity or difficulty or was my girlfriend just born to be a Forza pro?

Does your girlfriend drive in real life?

Edit never mind I see your using a pad.
Personally I haven't used a pad in years so I don't think I could get around much quicker either.

I remember when GT had a demo track, can't remember which, maybe Infineon. I tried with a pad and couldn't get any joy in GT.
when using a pad though all titles use some sort of buffering, wether its speed sensitive or how ever they do it.

Hard to call really.

I've owned Forza 4 for quite some time now, and I've had GT5 since launch, and to be honest - I love BOTH games! There's just one comparison I'd like to make, and that's a huge difference between the two games. I am talking of course about the physics.

Let me start by just stating that I absolutely enjoy the heck out of Forza 4. It's a great game, a wholly complete package and it's filled to the brim with things to earn, collect and find out.

There's just one issue with Forza 4 compared to GT5 (despite all it's pro's over GT, sorry guys but it's true). It's something I actually found out because of my girlfriend (hey, I'm training my girlfriend to be my moneymonkey!)

I saw her play both GT5 and Forza 4 for quite some time, but the difference between the games is that in GT5, with a fully souped up Mustang, she doesn't make it through any of the first three corners of Laguna Seca at all (I like that circuit as much as the Nurb for training), while in Forza, she runs the track and destroys the competition with ease (and it's set to professional, the A.I. I mean, combined with the sim steering settings and every assist off). Both games are played with a pad because the wheel (DFGT) is still off-limits for her (her own words). That got me thinking, is GT5 more realistic because of it's difficulty or is Forza more true to life because of it's simplicity?

This is not to provoke anything, it just struck me like lightning. What are your thoughts on how this can be? Is either game more realistic because of it's simplicity or difficulty or was my girlfriend just born to be a Forza pro?

The first thing to remove from this is teh AI, as its shockingly easy to beat in both titles.

Now in terms of which one is closer to reality, well fro my money that would be FM4, that's not to say however that its perfect. Far from it, it just has less issues that GT5.

I'm going to take a guess here and say that one of the problems she is having with GT5 could well be in regard to on-throttle oversteer and recovering from it?

When using the joystick in fm4 has a hidden help can not be disabled. When using the 900 degree steering wheel driving a really complex But I think in fm4 driving the joystick harder than gt5. And the level of artificial intelligence to the physics does not belong

Agreed...

When i played Forza 4 and did a comparison between both on 900 degree wheels (once again FM4 with the Fanatec Forza wheel and GT5 with the DFGT at the time). Which I wish I didn't sell the X-Box and wheel because now I have the Logitech G27 which would be even a better way to show what i am saying here.

Anyway with the wheels on both games with a stock car (Nissan 370Z) and just about every stock car it seemed that Forza had a delay in the wheel (which I have seen others say the same too). The cars just weren't as responsive as in GT5.

Reason i have said before that it seems Forza was designed for the controller. GT5 was designed to be played on the wheel. With that back to back testing in my honest opinion is that Forza gets a big thumbs down from me on the simulation factor.

Anyone on FM4 with that wheel feel the same thing?

Agreed...

When i played Forza 4 and did a comparison between both on 900 degree wheels (once again FM4 with the Fanatec Forza wheel and GT5 with the DFGT at the time). Which I wish I didn't sell the X-Box and wheel because now I have the Logitech G27 which would be even a better way to show what i am saying here.

Anyway with the wheels on both games with a stock car (Nissan 370Z) and just about every stock car it seemed that Forza had a delay in the wheel (which I have seen others say the same too). The cars just weren't as responsive as in GT5.

Reason i have said before that it seems Forza was designed for the controller. GT5 was designed to be played on the wheel. With that back to back testing in my honest opinion is that Forza gets a big thumbs down from me on the simulation factor.

For me GT5 with a wheel (and a pad for that matter) feels too responsive, even cars with a quick rack on them don't respond to input as quickly as GT5 does (such as my own Alfa at 2.2 turns lock to lock - just under 800 degrees).

That said its an area that no sim is ever going to get right as it varies massively from car to car, and even changing tyres on the same car can and does have an effect on steering response.

Scaff
For me GT5 with a wheel (and a pad for that matter) feels too responsive, even cars with a quick rack on them don't respond to input as quickly as GT5 does (such as my own Alfa at 2.2 turns lock to lock - just under 800 degrees).

That said its an area that no sim is ever going to get right as it varies massively from car to car, and even changing tyres on the same car can and does have an effect on steering response.

Yeah true true. I mean on GT5 i try to adjust tires according to the fastest record laps mainly on Top Gear then after i get close or match it i go down a set then repeat. So basically if try to get the most realistic tire to the real life stock car. So keep in mind I am not one of those idiots that put racing or sports more less on everything hahaha. But yeah you are right

And yep you are 100% correct on the second part too.

I cant comment too much on the comparison, but one of my friends is head of marketing for the X-box in Denmark, and he says the Forza engine is is the most accurate of any driving simulator...:dunce:.....not biased at all...:)

The driving characteristics of the Elise S1 is pretty accurate when comparing to my real life car. Especially lift off oversteer, and adjusting it into corners with engine braking and weight shifting forwards. Not so realistic are the tank slappers and unrecoverable oversteer, but I put that down to the fact that you react and adjust maybe a little too late when just using visual clues in the sim, compared to the feel of the pants in the real life car, which is actually amazingly adjustable on the limit.
Lift off oversteer in FWD cars is actually the biggest flaw in GT5 in my mind. Even putting on harder tires in the back, doesn't even begin to come close to real life lift off oversteer in fx a Peugeot 206 gti. In the game you can pretty much go full on the brakes while dropping the clutch into a lower gear whilst turning in, without much more happening than a little oversteer and tire squeal. It would result in a violent spin in real life...I witnessed it several times on the Ring with my friend driving a bit beyond his ability in his 206 gti and getting a taste of the Nurburgring Armco...:)

I love GT5 to bits, and hope the Forza users feel the same about their game...

Last edited:
I'm going to take a guess here and say that one of the problems she is having with GT5 could well be in regard to on-throttle oversteer and recovering from it?

Truth be told, I think that could be the problem for her in GT5, but you'd say that would be a problem for her too in Forza, which is just not the case, completely...

Gee guys, I really do not know which one has the better physics but I keep reading the thread as often as I can, it is soooo interesting (and boring, depends on the person that posts).
I am really tempted to part with a considerate amount of money just to check for myself, since to do that I am going to need a brand new X-box and a CSR wheel to go with it.

Should I?

Truth be said, I am really staring to get bored with GT5 and I would welcome a new challenge.

BTW I like the fact that some guys are much more acquiescent and polite on this forum than they are on Youtube. :sly:

Agreed...

Delayed reaction to steering, it's okay, it's real. So in real life react conventional road cars at high speed.

The reason for the delay, then the first car that catches on the turn, then body chassis slowly rolls. then begins to turn. Racing cars react almost instantly

Lift off oversteer in FWD cars is actually the biggest flaw in GT5 in my mind. Even putting on harder tires in the back, doesn't even begin to come close to real life lift off oversteer in fx a Peugeot 206 gti. In the game you can pretty much go full on the brakes while dropping the clutch into a lower gear whilst turning in, without much more happening than a little oversteer and tire squeal. It would result in a violent spin in real life...I witnessed it several times on the Ring with my friend driving a bit beyond his ability in his 206 gti and getting a taste of the Nurburgring Armco...:)

I love GT5 to bits, and hope the Forza users feel the same about their game...

I own a 207 GTi which I bring to time attack trackdays time to time. In GT5, I can say it handles very accurate (without any aids, ABS OFF, BB=3-1), cornering and braking are simulated quite well, on comfort medium tyres, so I don't know which physics engine is better or not, which tyre model is the worst or if even there is a tyre model, but which I can feel in real life, I can feel on GT5, at least on my car model.

I race 125cc karts aswell, and I can say GT5 simulation on karts is not real at all. You have A LOT of grip on GT5 which doesn't translate to the real counterpart in terms of feel. May be it's a compromise taken by the fact you really need to feel on your butt what a kart is doing and what it's going to do the next millisecond, I don't know, but it doesn't feels like the real one. On a real kart you have to fight the wheel a lot finding for grip in corners while accelerating. On GT5 it's not the same.

I've played sim racing titles since Grand Prix saga by Geoff Crammond back on mid 90th. For the last ten years I've been playing rFactor, iRacing, rFactor2 beta, all of these on PC, and bought the PS3 only to play GT5 because I wanted something different.

The main problem on all of these sims / semi sims is the lack of your body feel. G forces, the suspension feel on your "seat", and of course the fear factor.

The so called hardcore sims (rFactor, iRacing) can have the better physics engine (took three full years to Kraemer to develop a new tyre model for latest iRacing patch, in example), but there is no way you can fully enjoy these premium physics if you can't feel the car. These sims feel a lot slipery, as is you are racing on ice. The physics engine and tyre model can be very accurate, but without feeling at the car forces they seems to be very difficult to master, and not at a par whith the real life counterpart.

Which I found on GT5 is a great compromise between feel and handling (compared to my real car, of course) which makes me enjoy GT5 more than others sims out there.

Sadly I can't test Forza because I own a G27 and the lack of support for it made me took the decision to buy a PS3, so I can't compare Forza against GT5 and the other sims I've tested before.

Anyway, I think GT5 is pretty good when you set it with no aids, ABS off and a proper brake bias for each car, and on any comfort tyres (any tyre beyond sports hard seems to have too much grip level and makes it unrealistic)

By no means I say hardcore sims are innacurate, only I say they feel very difficult to drive without feeling the car forces, may be due to the very accuracy they get from the physics engine, so I prefer to drive on a more enjoyable one and on one which I can feel something similar to which my own car does on the track. Force feedback in rFactor, in example, is not good at all, so you can't feel properly what's going under the tyres, making it difficult to control and feel even when the physics engine and tyre model is very accurate. You can have the better tyre model, but if you can't feel you are about to lose the rear end, then that accurate tyre model is a waste.

I trend to speak in terms of "a package". That "package" includes physics, tyre model, accuracy of tracks and cars, and more important to me, the feel what a car does and is going to do. If the latest is wrong, then the "package" is seriously hurted, but if all of these items are regular but well balanced, I have the best choice looking for an enjoyable driving on a sim.

Of course, it's my opinion and my feelings on the subject. Please excuse my English, it's not my natural language.

Have a nice day.

shved111
Delayed reaction to steering, it's okay, it's real. So in real life react conventional road cars at high speed.

The reason for the delay, then the first car that catches on the turn, then body chassis slowly rolls. then begins to turn. Racing cars react almost instantly

No hahahahahahaha not what I was saying at all.

No I know how a car reacts in real life.

What I mean was while playing Forza with the wheel. There is a delay in the steering not in the turning.

Basically to sum it up. When i turned the wheel the tires on the game turned but at a delay. Am i more clear?

No hahahahahahaha not what I was saying at all.

No I know how a car reacts in real life.

What I mean was while playing Forza with the wheel. There is a delay in the steering not in the turning.

Basically to sum it up. When i turned the wheel the tires on the game turned but at a delay. Am i more clear?

I've never come across a delay, I play with a fanatec GT2. It was probably in game settings or dead zone settings on the wheel.

Back