Forza 4 VS GT5 (read the first post before you contribute)

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 2,850 comments
And you can't help yourself when you feel like tuning cars to the max. Win a race 3 times in a Honda; all upgrades for Honda are free. Then you tune your Hondas to the max, and the next race you do, you win by 4 minutes.

Completely false. Why? PP limits.

Every single player race has a PP limit. You're more or less required to be on or near the limit to be competitive unless you've got the difficulty set way low or are a certifiable alien. Upgrades being free gives you no competitive advantage, it just saves you a little bit of money that you would have had to spend anyway.

And upgrades are so dirt cheap to start with that it hardly makes a difference.

Which is what's so clever about the way Forza is set up. You FEEL like you're getting given money and free stuff at every turn. You always FEEL like you have enough to go and buy something. And you do, but only one or two things. It still takes serious amounts of time invested to start buying lots of million credit+ cars.

Which I think is great. It feels more free, even if the reality is that you're just as cash-limited (if not more so) than you are in Gran Turismo.

I never recall the AI in Forza trying to wreck me unless I hit them first. I decided to take a short break from Horizon and played Forza 4 a little bit over the weekend. I did a race on Indy and when the AI was catching up to me on the final straight on one lap, they actually tried to maneuver around me.

But regardless, I personally prefer Forza's AI because I actually feel like I'm in a race with other opponents, unlike GT5.

I have heard a lot of people say that they thought the AI was ok in Forza but I think it is aweful.

I can't count the number of times I have either been hit in the side while trying to pass, cut off and then break checked and early in races hit from behind while slowing for a corner and more often than not especially when being cut off it causes the car to spin or at least try to.

Example, I make a move going into a corner I take the inside line and start past the AI car my car clearly should have the line as my front bumper is at least up to his front wheel if not past his front bumper but the AI comes right over like I am not there and hits me.

Same situation on GT5 the AI starts to come over like I am not there but then adjusts his line and does not make contact.

Coming into a corner I am on the outside AI is inside, AI moves to the outside right in front of me and hits the breaks early and more than needed causing me to tap the AI car in the rear and of course 90% of the time the car reacts [my car] like I was hit in the rear 1/4 and starts to spin out. This is especially bad on the track day events where the AI is slow and all over the place. Those are by far the worst events to drive in.

Another thing I like about GT5 AI over Forza is that they sometimes act more human on GT5. I have saw AI come into corners way to hot go off track and recover, cut corners and I have had them intentionally slam me hard after me having cut them off or bumped them off track.

The other thing I think is very funny and sad with Forza is that if you race with collisions on the AI sometimes acts as if you are not there but if you turn off collisions then they seem to try and avoid hitting you.

Every single player race has a PP limit. You're more or less required to be on or near the limit to be competitive unless you've got the difficulty set way low or are a certifiable alien. Upgrades being free gives you no competitive advantage, it just saves you a little bit of money that you would have had to spend anyway.

And upgrades are so dirt cheap to start with that it hardly makes a difference.

Which is what's so clever about the way Forza is set up. You FEEL like you're getting given money and free stuff at every turn. You always FEEL like you have enough to go and buy something. And you do, but only one or two things. It still takes serious amounts of time invested to start buying lots of million credit+ cars.

Which I think is great. It feels more free, even if the reality is that you're just as cash-limited (if not more so) than you are in Gran Turismo.

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why I feel Forza 4 isn't too easy, despite the free upgrades and being rewarded money from manufacturers for driving their cars a lot. It's the same case with Horizon and its discount signs.

Forza 4 was a little tooooo easy. And boring and greedy. A third of the game is locked away unless you pay $200 bucks to get Microsoft Points and Xbox Gold. It sucks.

I'd recommend against making up random numbers.

And you can't help yourself when you feel like tuning cars to the max. Win a race 3 times in a Honda; all upgrades for Honda are free. Then you tune your Hondas to the max, and the next race you do, you win by 4 minutes.

That's your choice, not everybody's. If you've been turning off the class restrictions for races, that's your own doing. Those restrictions, by the way, are things that don't exist in GT5 at all, allowing anybody to enter any race in an overpowered car. FM4 gives players the option to bypass the limitations if, let's say, they find the race too difficult. Which it would appear you did, yet you say the game was too easy? I wonder why.

Also, Forza's graphics. Better than GT5 in terms of shadows, but the car models in Forza show off too many white pixels when moving... know what I mean?

Not a clue.

And every car in Forza sounds like a screaming NASCAR, while GT5 cars sound like Dysons. I think each game has their pros and cons.

Language warning on the first one:

Yep. All sound like a NASCAR vehicle.

And every car in Forza sounds like a screaming NASCAR, while GT5 cars sound like Dysons. I think each game has their pros and cons.

Noooo, screaming NASCARs sound like screaming NASCARs. Forza 4 gets the sounds right, even if they're "turned up to 11." My GC8 Subaru 22B STi (painted in yellow just like the lovely SIC EM in my sig :3) sounds exactly like a Subaru should. The Lexus LF-A's V10 emits the same banshee wail that the real life one does. And NASCARs sound like NASCARs.

Quite right indeed!

Some gamers may need to tune their systems accordingly. FM4's engine louds are very crisp, loud and detailed.

Also, those complaining about the sound, might want to keep the in game volume at 16 or lower, out of 20 levels. Comes in at 15 by default, for a reason.

And no, I don't wish to start a debate on "oh why should I tune my audio sys or change game settings in any way..every other game works fine"..!

I found it almost shocking how accurate they had gotten the engine sounds this time around! Oh my... the F1s, the Vettes.. the Ferraris and Lambos... all the engines sound like they do IRL. A V6 is quite distinct from a V8 or a V12. This is dead obvious while racing, or especially during a replay. I could write a complete review on just the engine sounds!

OK then, work done here. Happy motoring!

Last edited:
Also, Forza's graphics. Better than GT5 in terms of shadows, but the car models in Forza show off too many white pixels when moving... know what I mean?
Not a clue.
Is a combination of low resolution, low antialiasing and weak filtering. Is well known that Forza's image quality isn't very good(except in Horizon at half the framerate).

I have heard a lot of people say that they thought the AI was ok in Forza but I think it is aweful.

I can't count the number of times I have either been hit in the side while trying to pass, cut off and then break checked and early in races hit from behind while slowing for a corner and more often than not especially when being cut off it causes the car to spin or at least try to.

I feel the same way, although I would like to add when the A.I. makes a sudden turn right at the start forcing me into the wall/grass if they don't just crash into me.

Both games need major revamping when it comes to A.I., both are too slow and drive terribly.

Justin
I feel the same way, although I would like to add when the A.I. makes a sudden turn right at the start forcing me into the wall/grass if they don't just crash into me.

Both games need major revamping when it comes to A.I., both are too slow and drive terribly.

Apparently for some people, AI that is fast is "good" no matter how wreckless it is which is a retarded conclusion.

Apparently for some people, AI that is fast is "good" no matter how wreckless it is which is a retarded conclusion.

It's more that it's possible to have a good fight with FM AI. Yeah, sometimes (an annoying high percentage of the time) they'll do something retarded and crash you out.

But if you give them a bit of room like you would a real racer, it's possible to get a decent, competitive race out of them. About half the time, I feel. The rest of the time I feel like I'm forced to smash them before they smash me. :yuck:

GT on the otherhand is just slow and steady all the time. All you get is chase the rabbit, and it's impossible to go wheel to wheel for more than about two corners.

So yeah, they both have issues. GT is predictable and not annoying, but not competitive. FM can be competitive, but the price you pay is that you will be crashed out some of the time (a lot of the time).

Which you prefer is personal preference. Driver skill also plays a fairly large role. If you're a slower driver, you'll find more competition in GTs AI and it could be deemed better. If you're quicker, you may be more willing to put up with the BS of FMs AI in order to get a competitive race.

It's not like one is objectively superior to the other, although you can definitely see how for certain people one is subjectively superior.

Is a combination of low resolution, low antialiasing and weak filtering. Is well known that Forza's image quality isn't very good(except in Horizon at half the framerate).

Uhmmm.. Your trying to use a video, of a guy recording a video with his handheld camera, of a video game? Really?

ImaRobot
Uhmmm.. Your trying to use a video, of a guy recording a video with his handheld camera, of a video game? Really?

I kind of get his point, when you compare both games and the quality of the image at draw distance, GT5 appears to be much cleaner, not so many lines flickering and the definition of the objects is better. This is very noticeable on really big TVs where both games need to be scaled.

Forza AI is fast and as smart as GT's. That's why people like it. They're overaggressive, but that lets you battle with them. GT's is slow and timid to the point where it can get in the way.

I kind of get his point, when you compare both games and the quality of the image at draw distance, GT5 appears to be much cleaner, not so many lines flickering and the definition of the objects is better. This is very noticeable on really big TVs where both games need to be scaled.

I would agree that FM4 has some very small issues with AA under certain circumstances, which I am quite willing to accept in regard to a locked and v-synced 60fps. Its far less distracting to me that the variable frame rate and the screen tearing GT5 can suffer from.

Scaff
I would agree that FM4 has some very small issues with AA under certain circumstances, which I am quite willing to accept in regard to a locked and v-synced 60fps. Its far less distracting to me that the variable frame rate and the screen tearing GT5 can suffer from.

I agree, rock-solid 60 fps and almost no screen tearing is far more important for a better gameplay, FM4 definitely takes this one.

If that bothers you reduce the screen size to 90% in the GT5 video setting and you will notice a difference. Not much people know that.

If that bothers you reduce the screen size to 90% in the GT5 video setting and you will notice a difference. Not much people know that.

Why should I need to do that to fix a problem that should have been addressed by now?

I reduced my GT5 screen size to around 92 / 94 %, then I used my TV stretch function to bring it to full screen again, barely any loss in crispness but more stable frame rate. Been doing it for over a year now. I also used 1080i mode at times, not sure if makes any difference in terms of frame rate, but on my TV, the picture quality looks as good as 1080p.

Because it would help you to enjoy more the game?
HDTV's, racing wheels, surround sound, gaming headset, etc help you enjoy the game more. Dumbing down my game because it can't handle what it was made to do, doesn't.

Because it would help you to enjoy more the game?

What Rido said. 👍

And when I then watch a Blu-ray or play something else I have a picture that is oversized.

Its a solution that causes other issues to a problem that I should not have to be dealing with in this manner.

However the main point I was making in raising the issue is that you are quite happy to have to jump through hoops like this, but FM4 has a small issue with AA and it's 'image quality isn't very good".

Rather ironic.

I only have frame rate issues when racing against many cars in the rain, other than that, hardly any tearing or frame drops even when online racing. I also set the display settings to flicker reduction instead of normal.

Some games did this for you by adjusting graphical details on the fly - there's always compromise in console gaming like in Forza 4 which has no weather/time change track, I guess PD set the bar too high for PS3, but I see that GT6 is looking better, I hope the frame rate gets better too.

And when I then watch a Blu-ray or play something else I have a picture that is oversized.

Its a solution that causes other issues to a problem that I should not have to be dealing with in this manner.

However the main point I was making in raising the issue is that you are quite happy to have to jump through hoops like this, but FM4 has a small issue with AA and it's 'image quality isn't very good".

Rather ironic.
I have not said that I'm happy to have jump throught hoops. Your distracting problems are not to me, I play always GT5 with a 100% screen with no issues. You exposed a problem to you and I give you an easy fix, as simple as that. I don't understand the excuses, in my tv only I need to press a button in the remote to swap the picture to full frame to stretch. Is a one second procedure. Seems that you really don't care and reply for vengeance because I have exposed a FM4 low against GT5.

Anything to avoid answering the numerous issues people have brought up with some of his wilder, fabricated claims in this and other threads 👍

I have not said that I'm happy to have jump throught hoops. Your distracting problems are not to me, I play always GT5 with a 100% screen with no issues. You exposed a problem to you and I give you an easy fix, as simple as that. I don't understand the excuses, in my tv only I need to press a button in the remote to swap the picture to full frame to stretch. Is a one second procedure. Seems that you really don't care and reply for vengeance because I have exposed a FM4 low against GT5.

A problem to me?

So the frame rate and screen tear issues are specific to only certain people?

As for replying for 'vengeance', is that seriously the point you have gotten to. Need I remind you the volume of un-proven nonsense you have come out with over the life of GT5 and the fact that you are continuously posting nonsense about a title you don't even own.

Last edited:
Seems that you really don't care and reply for vengeance because I have exposed a FM4 low against GT5.

Anti-aliasing problems with FM4 vs. a wildly inconsistent framerate with GT5 is a low for FM4?

And while your "Just play it like it was Doom on the 3DO" solution was certainly innovative, I do have to question whether it will actually do anything if you're going so far as to claim that GT5's framerate and screen tearing issues don't exist when you don't. Again.

Lol what did you expose exactly? You just brought up something that already been discussed before. Never the less, why would you want to use stretch? Makes everything unproportional and worse then actually accepting and dealing with the problem.

I gladly accept the lower AA that Forza seems to have for consistent FPS. What's funny is that, while it is not as good as GT, it is really not that bad in the first place. While fm have sacrificed one detail for better stability, gt did the complete opposite. Which in turn affected the playability during certain instances.

Still I would like to know what setup was used on the second video, because, while mine does have some jaggies, it does not look even close to how bad that made fm look. Even the text on the walls, and straight lines on the floor had jagged edges.

Still I would like to know what setup was used on the second video, because, while mine does have some jaggies, it does not look even close to how bad that made fm look. Even the text on the walls, and straight lines on the floor had jagged edges.

Considering even the HUD in the FM4 part of the video had jagged edges on it and Zer0's history with using videos cherry picked to prove his point rather than actually being real examples of his point, I wouldn't be surprised if edge enhancement was turned on and/or the image sharpness was maxed for that channel and turned off on the GT5 channel. I can set it to do that for individual channels on my TV.

So the frame rate and screen tear issues are specific to only certain people?
Why you said that? what are specific to certain people are how distracting are those issues, not the existence of the issues itself. Some tolerate better than others, same as the image quality that is ok to you in FM4 but distracting to others:

"...locked and v-synced 60fps. Its far less distracting to me that the variable frame rate and the screen tearing GT5 can suffer from."

I think that most of the nonsese that you accuse me every time I post is because you like tu put in my mouth your own word twisting what initially said. I have not read all my past replies from you but if you always fade your own explanations, regarding my words, with my initial meaning I understand some things better now.

Latest Posts

Back