Forza 5/6 vs GT6 (See First Post Before Posting)

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 1,727 comments
The body roll on some cars looked over the top sometimes, with out having played the game I don't have much to add to that though.

I wouldn't doubt it, although it's not like this is something new to video games. I'm fine with it, as it has never effected my gameplay. No matter te camera angle used while playing, those are very hard to notice anyways. If they have to take away detail from something that's hardly noticeable, while driving, then I'm all for it if it helps the game run smoother.

Hmm, yeah. This technique has been around for ages, and it seems consoles are going to continue using it for a while. In FM4, there are those rare moments when I've noticed the track and car looking extra sharp when I'm hot lapping. I'm just too lost in it to notice really. The devs mask it cleverly though.

VXR
Forza 5 definitely does offer roll-on oversteer, amongst every other form of it, and all too readily if you're not smooth with it.

Can't imagine how exciting FM6 is going to be. *goose bumps*

proxy.phpimagehttp3a2ohu9l.jpg

getphotoxnqmy.jpg

proxy.phpimagehttp3a2aqk46.jpg

What do you guys think? I think FM5 has GT beat in terms of detail. Inb4 lastgen vs currentgen, Kaz has said premiums basically qualify as PS4 quality models and seeing how they handled standards, I doubt the premiums will be changed in any way.

Before you say I'm a fanboy, I have FM4 and GT6. With that out, don't you think the models in fm4 is too cartoony/plasticy/fake? Just look at it(fm4). Your FM5 shot is barely better than your GT6 shot(just look at the seat fabric).

P.S. Both FM4 and GT6 sucks (money grubbin' dlc and stupid standard cars laziness). Don't have XB1 so I can't comment on how it plays.

EDIT: FM2 FTW!!!! Love that you can "glitch" the oem wheels lol.

Before you say I'm a fanboy, I have FM4 and GT6. With that out, don't you think the models in fm4 is too cartoony/plasticy/fake? Just look at it(fm4). Your FM5 shot is barely better than your GT6 shot(just look at the seat fabric).

P.S. Both FM4 and GT6 sucks (money grubbin' dlc and stupid standard cars laziness). Don't have XB1 so I can't comment on how it plays.

I think FM4 looks fine considering the hardware, and has tons of cars (670). Playing it back to back with FM5 reveals massive graphical upgrades, you really have to see it in person, screenshots/videos don't do it justice. As far as car models go I think modern games have all reached a point where differences are tiny, they all look damn good. At this point the progress is better made through advanced lighting rather than adding more polygons to the models.

Judging a car game's visual prowess by looking at cockpit detail isn't an accurate method I believe.

* FM4's lighting is a little over the top I agree; you can make it look more photo-realistic by setting your screen to Cinema mode, lowering contrast all the way to 50%. Keep sharpness low and color low as well, according to taste. Keep brighness at 50%. In game brightness at 50% or less (so long as you don't experience too much black crush).

* FM5 really is visually stunning, given it's the first Forza version on new hardware. You really need to play it yourself on a good TV to see what it's capable of (minus the ridiculous looking smoke effects)

* Forza has always gone for a CGI-perfect look, while GT aims for photo-realism. Both look good in their own right.

* I strongly don't believe FM4 sucks.. on the contrary, it's probably T10's best circuit racer to date. Don't buy DLC if you feel you're paying too much. I haven't purchased anything online, and still enjoy the game as much as I did when it surfaced in late 2011.

Judging a car game's visual prowess by looking at cockpit detail isn't an accurate method I believe.

* FM4's lighting is a little over the top I agree; you can make it look more photo-realistic by setting your screen to Cinema mode, lowering contrast all the way to 50%. Keep sharpness low and color low as well, according to taste. Keep brighness at 50%. In game brightness at 50% or less (so long as you don't experience too much black crush).

* FM5 really is visually stunning, given it's the first Forza version on new hardware. You really need to play it yourself on a good TV to see what it's capable of (minus the ridiculous looking smoke effects)

* Forza has always gone for a CGI-perfect look, while GT aims for photo-realism. Both look good in their own right.

* I strongly don't believe FM4 sucks.. on the contrary, it's probably T10's best circuit racer to date. Don't buy DLC if you feel you're paying too much. I haven't purchased anything online, and still enjoy the game as much as I did when it surfaced in late 2011.

I'm not talking about lighting(GT6 does have better lighting). I'm talking about detail, little details like the texture of the dash, the fabric, how GT6 interiors look natural and sometimes worn out(w/c adds to the realism). I think you are judging both games base on their "gallery mode" and "autovista mode." I judge it when I'm racing(actual gameplay graphics). I stop, go to interior view/3rd person view and analyze the cars.

I think you are judging both games base on their "gallery mode" and "autovista mode." I judge it when I'm racing(actual gameplay graphics). I stop, go to interior view/3rd person view and analyze the cars.

There's your difference.

Quite apart from the difference in high quality content between the games, FM4 used power to maintain 60fps. GT6 didn't. That's why it looks nicer.

GT6 absolutely looks better than FM4 in that situation. But GT6's graphics are more limited. It only looks that good if you pick a premium, and if you're not in motion.

It really depends what you want out of graphics. Do you want that perfect scene at the perfect time? Or do you want a consistently good experience, perhaps without quite as much pizzazz?

I'm not talking about lighting(GT6 does have better lighting). I'm talking about detail, little details like the texture of the dash, the fabric, how GT6 interiors look natural and sometimes worn out(w/c adds to the realism). I think you are judging both games base on their "gallery mode" and "autovista mode." I judge it when I'm racing(actual gameplay graphics). I stop, go to interior view/3rd person view and analyze the cars.

No I didn't, you did. You brought up cockpit detail as a measure of visual prowess.

GT's look is overall photorealistic. At times, it looks stunning.

However, it can't match Forza's consistency. The car and track detail shines at all times, and there are no frame rate dips at all. And no.. I do not mean photo mode graphics, just to be clear.

Take a premium GT model and pit it up against FM4. You might find the differences surprising.

There's your difference.

Quite apart from the difference in high quality content between the games, FM4 used power to maintain 60fps. GT6 didn't. That's why it looks nicer.

GT6 absolutely looks better than FM4 in that situation. But GT6's graphics are more limited. It only looks that good if you pick a premium, and if you're not in motion.

It really depends what you want out of graphics. Do you want that perfect scene at the perfect time? Or do you want a consistently good experience, perhaps without quite as much pizzazz?

The reason I stop in a race in both FM4 and GT6 is to make sure i can see the little details the developer took time to make. If I was moving and looked around I won't be able to focus on those details(since I will be crashing/slippin' and slidin'). You are right about FM4's more consistent high frames as GT6 has some teleportation issues when there's more than 2 cars on screen.

If I was moving and looked around I won't be able to focus on those details(since I will be crashing/slippin' and slidin').

This is why I think that what FM4 did was rather more clever. They recognised that the vast majority of the player's time is going to be spent driving, so the level of detail needed is only what would be obvious while they're driving. Which is probably at least partially how they manage to maintain a high frame rate.

GT6 just went for as much detail as they could cram in, ignoring the fact that more detail doesn't necessarily add to the graphical quality a lot of the time.

If you look at Autovista vs. Photomode, the best FM4 cars have just as much detail as the best GT6 cars. But when on track, FM4 chooses not to use all that detail. Less is more, in that case; they sacrificed something that the player probably won't notice (detail) for something that they almost certainly will (smoothness).

Ultimately, which game is better all depends on how you test them. Standing still, FM4 can't hope to match GT6's details. In motion, GT6 will never match the fluidity of FM4.

It's just unfortunate that a huge proportion of the player's time in a racing game is spent in motion. That's why I think FM4's graphics are better, even though they're worse.

^^ YES, T10 needs to fix the steering angle issue. Controller users take the shaft on that one with every game.
It's only the visual steering angle, too. Which really just makes it more confusing. I can see how it might be an issue on open wheel cars, going full lock to lock, but they could still go a farther than they do.
Turn in while driving does seem very different in GT6 compared to FM5. The cars feel more apt to turn and with much less over-steer. However, I'm at a loss simply because I don't know which is more accurate.
It goes beyond visual unfortunately.. the tires just don't want to turn at anything over 60 kph. Though prototypes have more freedom.

It is those stupid controller assists coupled with speed sensitive steering. If you're on a wheel, select 900 degs.. you should have no problems at all.

Having received a XBone as a Christmas gift, I naturally wanted to try FM5, having played all the previous GTs and Forza games as well as other racers. So I picked up a used game at Game stop and for the last few weeks have been trying it out.

Well, there is no shortage of disappointments so far.
And chief among them for me, as referenced by some of you above, is the steering.
There is so much steering input lag in this game, it is anything but Sim or realistic.
Arcade, or maybe extreme Arcade seems more accurate.
Consequently, you never really drive the car, you just chase the delayed steering inputs,
in an effort to drive the car.
This hopelessly taints the whole game experience.
A wheel from what I have seen so far(inside sim racing) is little help,
since the lag is still there with a wheel as well.
I don't see this being attributable to speed sensitive steering.
Normally that decreases the ratio of steering output to input as speed increases, not delaying it.
For all GT's shortcomings, GT5 and 6 have this most essential and fundamental aspect correct, and have a real "applicable" steering adjustment in the sensitivity scale.
When I consider Dan's comment of "quality rather than quantity", its practically laughable.
JMO, but GT5-6 and FM4 are far superior to this game in almost every respect, and certainly at the fundamental core of the experience.
About the the only stab at improvement worth noting is the Drivatar difficulty levels.
This has added more challenge to the single player.
But its sort of irrelevant under the circumstances.
Along with the myriad of missing features and disjointed structure, this "next gen game", is truly all hype and hat, and no cattle.

Who cares? Give me a racing sim that looks like Drift Stage, and spend the leftover CPU/GPU cycles and man-hours on things that actually impact gameplay.

Dittos.
I am in earnest hope that Project cars will far surpass both GT and Forza in every respect.
I don't know of anything that is more needed in the console racing genre.

Having received a XBone as a Christmas gift, I naturally wanted to try FM5, having played all the previous GTs and Forza games as well as other racers. So I picked up a used game at Game stop and for the last few weeks have been trying it out.

Well, there is no shortage of disappointments so far.
And chief among them for me, as referenced by some of you above, is the steering.
There is so much steering input lag in this game, it is anything but Sim or realistic.
Arcade, or maybe extreme Arcade seems more accurate.
Consequently, you never really drive the car, you just chase the delayed steering inputs,
in an effort to drive the car.
This hopelessly taints the whole game experience.
A wheel from what I have seen so far(inside sim racing) is little help,
since the lag is still there with a wheel as well.
I don't see this being attributable to speed sensitive steering.
Normally that decreases the ratio of steering output to input as speed increases, not delaying it.
For all GT's shortcomings, GT5 and 6 have this most essential and fundamental aspect correct, and have a real "applicable" steering adjustment in the sensitivity scale.
When I consider Dan's comment of "quality rather than quantity", its practically laughable.
JMO, but GT5-6 and FM4 are far superior to this game in almost every respect, and certainly at the fundamental core of the experience.
About the the only stab at improvement worth noting is the Drivatar difficulty levels.
This has added more challenge to the single player.
But its sort of irrelevant under the circumstances.
Along with the myriad of missing features and disjointed structure, this "next gen game", is truly all hype and hat, and no cattle.

Dittos.
I am in earnest hope that Project cars will far surpass both GT and Forza in every respect.
I don't know of anything that is more needed in the console racing genre.

Wow... didn't think FM5 would be that big of a disappointment, once you start taking it apart from a critic's perspective.

Speed sensitive steering is only on controllers BTW.

I don't like what I'm reading though: delayed steering. This wasn't the case in previous Forzas, was it?

The input lag is an entirely separate issue from the slightly wonky speed-sensitive-steering. Input lag like in the video is a result of something being wrong with the setup, either the console itself, the controller, the TV, or a combination thereof. And attributes from the previous title in the series shouldn't automatically be applied to Forza 5, especially when the game was released 2 years later on a totally different platform.

He wasnt complaining about Forza 4, and he was talking about Forza 5.

EDIT: didnt notice the links. Checking them out now.

EDIT2: After checking out the links, and the video, its really hard to pinput this on the game itself. My input speed on my console is no where even close to that slow, its not even half that slow. Theres hardly any records of it, which makes it hard to really make that assumption. My TV/console have nothing even remotely close to that, on both FM4 and Fm5.

This guy had a pretty good explanation

I have also had these issues with my xbox one. The input delay is similar to Vsync on the PC which waits for the TV or monitor to be ready before the GPU sends another frame to it. Most TVs only support 60hz input (60fps). On top of this, almost all TVs have input delay whether it's 8ms, or 150ms. I guarantee it's not your controller - it would skip or not respond at all if it didn't have a good connection. The bluetooth controller input delay is so miniscual (1-5ms) you would not notice. The only way to get a more precise feel is to switch TVs unfortunately....disadvantages of consoles I guess :/

Go here and look up your tv model to see where it's rated. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

Last edited:
This wasn't the case in previous Forzas, was it?

I don't recall noticing it in 3 or 4, but its the first thing I noticed in Forza5.

I must say that I haven't experienced any kind of steering input lag in FM5 :confused:

I reckon I'd know if it was there because I'd recognise it from Shift 2

Apparently a lot of people either don't have the problem or don't notice it.

In attempting several steering deadband adjustments, I went to in cockpit view at the start of a race and sat at the start/finish line. Using 1 inside/100 outside, I snap the controller stick from center to full left, or right.
It takes the steering wheel on the car, a full second to follow the input from the stick to full left or right.
and another full second to return to center. Half the input takes half the time or .5 second and .5 second back
Changing the deadband just makes it worse, since you have the stick travel with no action plus the delay.

Also, watching the steering action, no matter how quick you move the stick, the speed of the hands and arms turning the wheel never changes. He's got one speed, Slow. It looks like your driving a bus instead of racing.
Watch a real in cockpit of someone racing or driving a car on the edge. You make very snap quick steering wheel movements and counter movements. Thats not possible in this game.
Sorry but this game is way too slow for any chance at realism.

There is a video on youtube by Inside sim racing using a wheel. He's driving a Viper and comparing F5 to GT6. Whenever very quick steering movements are made in FM5, its very noticeable that the in car steering wheel tracks way behind the driving wheel movement.
I would hate to have to drive a real vehicle with that much steering lag.
However like most everything, the more you drive in the game, the more your brain will remap and adapt to it, and the less noticeable it becomes.

I"m sure there is some delay in most racing games.
However, in my experience it is very excessive and noticeable in FM5.

Other than the steering deadband settings I'm not aware of any controller adjustments that can be made.
I did an update on the controller, but that had no effect.

I have to agree with this fellow:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/t...c-ally-slow-makes-very-poor-simulation.aspx?=

He wasnt complaining about Forza 4, and he was talking about Forza 5.

EDIT: didnt notice the links. Checking them out now.

EDIT2: After checking out the links, and the video, its really hard to pinput this on the game itself. My input speed on my console is no where even close to that slow, its not even half that slow. Theres hardly any records of it, which makes it hard to really make that assumption. My TV/console have nothing even remotely close to that, on both FM4 and Fm5.

This guy had a pretty good explanation
I was just pointing at the issue because much people didn't know to exist. I have not an explanation but that is not a tv input lag problem as others in the links have checked. The lag is too much for that, more than 500ms in that vid. Even the worse tv loaded with all the picture enhancements don't have that atrocious lag. Modern tvs have no more than 50ms in game modes (often less) and even the old rarely have more than 150ms.

But is easy to check if the problem is in Forza or the console just by trying other reaction tests with other games in the same setup. If the control delay it is noticeable only with Forza then is it Forza. A simple visual comparisson between the camera rotation responsiveness vs the visual steering delay will work too to confirm if that is how the game is coded.

If the delay it happens to the same extent with every game and menu, the problem is in the console. But I doubt that is that or the people would not be pointing specifically to one game and to a single feature, steering.

Yes I do, and in-game the differences are even bigger.

On the Xbox One, open your battery tray each time you play, because I've noticed funny lags on FIFA and it's because when you put the pad down, the batteries move directly off the terminals by a couple of MMs each time. Really poor design fault, not having a physical stay to stop them sliding.

Apparently a lot of people either don't have the problem or don't notice it.

There's a difference between lag and slow steering response.

Lag means that the steering doesn't even start responding for a long time.

Slow response sounds like what you're talking about, the steering in game is trying too hard to emulate what is possible with a real steering wheel and won't let you go lock to lock fast enough.

Lag is almost always a problem with the setup of TV and console, there are very few modern games that actually have legitimate problems with input lag, Shift 2 being the prime example.

Slow response, that may be by design. I could see why they might do that on normal mode (stops Johnny Noobalot from weaving all over the place), but you'd expect sim mode not to. I never noticed it, but I haven't played FM5 enough that I'm sure I would have. I'm not normally a controller player, so I'd put any issues I had playing FM5 down to unfamiliarity with a controller.

Can you see steering angle in the telemetry and verify the effect that way? I know sometimes games do silly smoothing things with graphics that don't translate into the physics system, for example the steering wheel in GT only turns a tiny angle in cockpit view, but you still get your full 900 degrees out of the physics system. Telemetry should confirm that it's physics and not just graphics, although if you identified it originally by feel that's almost certainly true.

Telemetry is also the best way of determining whether it's lag or slow response as well. Film yourself and play back frame by frame.

It'd be interesting to see if someone with a wheel has the same speed limit on how the wheels track their inputs. Probably not, I'm guessing.

Terrible design choice if T10 has made this apply to all steering inputs.

I think slow steering is being confused here with what the game interprets as wheel to wheel lock.

You're never going to see that quick steering animation in Forza, because the wheel only goes 90 degs and stops. Looking at the cockpit wheel and using it as a benchmark to see how quickly the game steers is plain wrong and will yield inaccurate results.

In real life, going form center to full lock in a road car while in parking, is going to take well over a second. One of you said it takes Forza a second to go to full lock? Try doing that in real life.

The only reason it *feels* as if the game's steering slowly or lagging, is because of the silly wheel animation in cockpit. It needs to be rotating a lot freely and going well past 180 degrees around sharp bends, for example.

So when you do see actual videos of pro drivers pushing it on the track, you have to remember you really have to fight with the wheel and rotate it with speed to get the desired angle around fast corners. Unfortunately, T10 has yet to get this right in their games. GT ain't any better.

So for example, let's say you're taking turn 1 at Laguna: IRL, you'd be turning the wheel at least 180 degrees or past that. In Forza, the same front wheel turning angle, is interpreted on the steering wheel as a 45 degree animation/movement.

It's the cockpit wheel animation that needs fixing, not the steering speed or lag or whatever in the game.

Play AC or PCARS, and see how realistic the wheel looks while moving around turns.

The input lag is an entirely separate issue from the slightly wonky speed-sensitive-steering. Input lag like in the video is a result of something being wrong with the setup, either the console itself, the controller, the TV, or a combination thereof. And attributes from the previous title in the series shouldn't automatically be applied to Forza 5, especially when the game was released 2 years later on a totally different platform.

Besides, we have to remember, when watching videos of games being played, you will always *see* a lag, as its a recording.

Last edited:
So when you do see actual videos of pro drivers pushing it on the track, you have to remember you really have to fight with the wheel and rotate it with speed to get the desired angle around fast corners. Unfortunately, T10 has yet to get this right in their games. GT ain't any better.
GT does not have that problem, it's a game know for its linear and direct steering. Forza historically have been plagued with steering issues for sim players (hidden active steering aids, control buffers, and non linear steering angles). In GT the degrees of wheel rotation are accurately translated to the tyres, that's because pad players have replays with instant direction changes like you see in R.C. cars.

granturismo6-pushofwalokdd.gif

http://tinyurl.com/opxkxfz

I'm not convinced that what you see is what Gran Turismo actually sends through the physics engine. If it was really direct and instantaneous, the game would be pretty much undrivable with a controller...the inputs of the average player would result in monstrous understeer on every corner. Based on my play of GT5, I think Gran Turismo filters the steering like any other console racing game but animates the front wheels to reflect your joystick input.

The sort of input processing utilized by Forza, including "Normal" mode, is obligatory for providing adequate control with a joystick in any game that's even half-realistic. And it can be done without holding the player's hand. It's not a hardcore/casual thing.

You're never going to see that quick steering animation in Forza, because the wheel only goes 90 degs and stops. Looking at the cockpit wheel and using it as a benchmark to see how quickly the game steers is plain wrong and will yield inaccurate results.

Granted there is only 90 degs left or right from center, and there should be more rotation.
At least 120 degs or preferably more.
However, in viewing the front wheels and their movement in relation to the the cockpit steering wheel, they respond in direct relation. There is no observable difference. The front wheels turn in exact relation to the cockpit steering wheel. I would note also that the front wheels at full left and right appear to be about 30 to 35 degs.

In real life, going form center to full lock in a road car while in parking, is going to take well over a second. One of you said it takes Forza a second to go to full lock? Try doing that in real life.

Obviously, from the figures above the steering ratio is extremely low at about 3 to 1 and probably why the steering speed is set so slow.
I think most production cars are around 12 to 1 or higher.
Although race cars depending on the type of car and track, may use as low as 5 to 1.
In my FM5 tests, it takes a full second to go from center to full left or full right and a second to a little under a second to return to center.
To go from full left to full right or visa-versa (180 degs lock to lock) is faster or about a 1.25 seconds.

The only reason it *feels* as if the game's steering slowly or lagging, is because of the silly wheel animation in cockpit. It needs to be rotating a lot freely and going well past 180 degrees around sharp bends, for example.

That hasn't been my experience thus far.
While more rotation left or right would probably be better, the reason it appears to steer slowly is because, it does steer slowly.

Better is certainly open to individual interpretation.
However, GT5 and 6 with the sensitivity steering setting is much better IMO.
I don't recall for sure, but I thought the steering rotation in those games was more than 180 degs.
But very high sensitivity settings simulate the opposite extreme wherein lock to lock can be achieved in tenths of a second, which of course is unrealistic as well.

Even though the rotation is 180 degs total in Forza 5, if there was a similar setting to change the steering speed, I believe it would greatly improve the core driving aspect.
At least for me anyway.

Play AC or PCARS, and see how realistic the wheel looks while moving around turns.

I haven't played either one of these, so I can't reference anything about them.
I do plan to get PCARS for XBone when it releases in March.
Assuming it does release.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that what you see is what Gran Turismo actually sends through the physics engine. If it was really direct and instantaneous, the game would be pretty much undrivable with a controller...the inputs of the average player would result in monstrous understeer on every corner. Based on my play of GT5, I think Gran Turismo filters the steering like any other console racing game but animates the front wheels to reflect your joystick input.

You're almost certainly right.

If you've got a PC and some sims you can try and drive them with a pad and no filtering, and it's very different to Gran Turismo with a pad. Twitchy as 🤬, would be how I'd describe it.

Whatever GT is doing, I'm pretty sure it's doing something to help pad users out. It's just that whatever they've done is very well tuned to help you drive and not hinder you.

Back in ye olde days when we only had digital controls to play with, GT filtered the inputs to create a smooth(-ish) output. I imagine that they've continued to evolve that, because otherwise the car in Zero's gif would be rocking from side to side like a mofo as the weight transferred every time the wheel shifted.

If you've got a PC and some sims you can try and drive them with a pad and no filtering, and it's very different to Gran Turismo with a pad. Twitchy as 🤬, would be how I'd describe it.
In AC this is very much the truth. I found out the hard way. :lol: GT definitely does use filtering/dampening on the pad input, as opposed to wheel. It's quite obvious when you switch back and forth between wheel and pad. And I don't consider this a bad thing, because else you would end up with a game that's unplayable with pad for most people, especially with the faster cars. 👍

I was just pointing at the issue because much people didn't know to exist. I have not an explanation but that is not a tv input lag problem as others in the links have checked. The lag is too much for that, more than 500ms in that vid. Even the worse tv loaded with all the picture enhancements don't have that atrocious lag. Modern tvs have no more than 50ms in game modes (often less) and even the old rarely have more than 150ms.

But is easy to check if the problem is in Forza or the console just by trying other reaction tests with other games in the same setup. If the control delay it is noticeable only with Forza then is it Forza. A simple visual comparisson between the camera rotation responsiveness vs the visual steering delay will work too to confirm if that is how the game is coded.

If the delay it happens to the same extent with every game and menu, the problem is in the console. But I doubt that is that or the people would not be pointing specifically to one game and to a single feature, steering.

Yes I do, and in-game the differences are even bigger.

Having just tested this "steerin lag", the wheels turn the instant I press the control stick. Im going to assume it has to do with the users setup.

Back