Forza 5 physics vs GT6 аnd other sims

• Thread starter shved111
  • 1,034 comments
So any statement that hurts your feelings is in your mind a troll post... Ok, don't see how stating the obvious is trolling, it's not even an opinion, is not something you need to back up to make it a valid argument, it's right there in front of you.

Whatever really, do as you please, I don't really care.

Your reply when asked if you were a WMD member was "Why would I need to be one?".

Stop making yourself look like an idiot.

I guess that was meant for me. I'm kinda lost here just replying to what I thought was a very off the wall statement. I apologize if that whole schpiel was meant for me, but I have a feeling it wasn't and I was just a casualty.

You were but a casualty. Nothing on your end.

You are forgetting that GTP isn't the entire GT6 clientèle, to be perfectly honest I am betting most of the casual people who buy the game(and make up the majority) don't really care if the car sounds like a hoover.

I'm not sure, it could just as easily be the other way around. Casuals want good sounds because they're used to Most Wanted/Rivals/PGR/whatever. They're not into it enough to see the benefits of the improved physics the way a more hardcore player might.

I think casuals are just as likely to be annoyed with the in-game sounds as a hardcore player, if not more so. This can probably apply to just about any facet of the game, including physics. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and casual players aren't beyond judging what they spend their money on. I feel like sometimes people write casual players off as unthinking consumers who just buy whatever, and that's really not the case.

Of course it isn't the case. I wouldn't say that about 'casual' gamers, but in terms of casual, I meant more along the lines of those who play every so often to accompany their main game, usually FIFA or CoD.

My basis was my father who only plays Tiger Woods with GT every so often, he likes 6 because it is straight to the point and there is not as much faffing around. 2 of my friends are pretty much the same except they play FIFA.

My basis was my father who only plays Tiger Woods with GT every so often, he likes 6 because it is straight to the point and there is not as much faffing around. 2 of my friends are pretty much the same except they play FIFA.

Even with that definition of casual, why would they not care about the sounds? It's a pretty basic and in your face thing that doesn't take any real skill to say "hey, that don't sound right to me".

Pretty much everyone notices Gran Turismo's sounds. You can't not if you're actually listening to them. Some of them are OK with it because they don't know any better, or they just don't care. But to say that a majority don't care about the sounds is a big call. People buy Gran Turismo or Forza because they're interested in cars and/or racing. Sounds are a major part of the experience, whether people consciously recognise it or not.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/178938/Video_Is_your_game_juicy_enough.php

About halfway through the sound section starts, although the whole thing is a decent watch if you're interested in game design.

Take notice of how much sound adds to this totally basic and mostly awful game. It satisfies something primeval in people. Sound is even more important in a racing game, as it's one of the ways you gather information. Having a good engine note, good tyre sounds, good transmission noises and so on adds so much to the game it's not even funny.

A casual player might tell you that he/she doesn't care about the sounds, but give them the exact same game with improved sounds and see what they think.

Even with that definition of casual, why would they not care about the sounds? It's a pretty basic and in your face thing that doesn't take any real skill to say "hey, that don't sound right to me".

Pretty much everyone notices Gran Turismo's sounds. You can't not if you're actually listening to them. Some of them are OK with it because they don't know any better, or they just don't care. But to say that a majority don't care about the sounds is a big call. People buy Gran Turismo or Forza because they're interested in cars and/or racing. Sounds are a major part of the experience, whether people consciously recognise it or not.

About halfway through the sound section starts, although the whole thing is a decent watch if you're interested in game design.

Take notice of how much sound adds to this totally basic and mostly awful game. It satisfies something primeval in people. Sound is even more important in a racing game, as it's one of the ways you gather information. Having a good engine note, good tyre sounds, good transmission noises and so on adds so much to the game it's not even funny.

A casual player might tell you that he/she doesn't care about the sounds, but give them the exact same game with improved sounds and see what they think.

To me sounds are more important than graphics (within reason) - and this is coming from a graphics whore. I just purchased Game Stock Car Extreme and all I can say is WOW, the graphics are no match for many of today's racing games (still looks good not great) but the physics, sounds, AI, and FFB are sick! I actually didn't buy for quite some time because of YouTube videos but after 10 minutes of playing I couldn't wipe the smile from my face! Same with RaceRoom/DTM, the sounds add SO MUCH to the experience. With a good headset, I can't describe the immersion - takes me to the IRL track experience. Some console games are pretty good graphically but they fall short in the sounds department. Hopefully pCARS will bring the complete package to the consoles but I will be sticking to the PC version because of other hardware factors (triple screen, tactile feedback with SimVibe, and community modding).

My 2 "casual" friends didn't buy GT6 and they both bought GT5 at launch time. They didn't even think about it for a second.

I agree that sound design is terribly important in games, and like you said, for a game like GT good sounds would be a huge bonus. I just don't see it altering sales as much as some people. That being said, I can understand the viewpoint of it affecting sales. Regarding GT appealing to those with an interest in cars/racing, that isn't entierly the case because after all it is a system exclusive, and for many people, that is enough to buy the game.

Regarding GT appealing to those with an interest in cars/racing, that isn't entierly the case because after all it is a system exclusive, and for many people, that is enough to buy the game.

Are you saying that people buy GT simply because it's a system exclusive title, not because they have any interest in the game?

Maybe it's true. If so, those people are idiots.

Not sure how much more to the point Forza needs to be, you get in the game and it takes you directly to a race first thing. It holds your hand straight to buying your first car and getting into the career mode. It even directly puts paint jobs in front of you without having to go out of the way and takes care of modifying the car for you if you don't want to.

I haven't played GT in a while but does it now automatically upgrade your car for races for casuals?

Forza is a extremely easy game to jump in and out of even if you just want to race for 10 minutes and get off.

Not sure how much more to the point Forza needs to be, you get in the game and it takes you directly to a race first thing. It holds your hand straight to buying your first car and getting into the career mode. It even directly puts paint jobs in front of you without having to go out of the way and takes care of modifying the car for you if you don't want to.

I haven't played GT in a while but does it now automatically upgrade your car for races for casuals?

Forza is a extremely easy game to jump in and out of even if you just want to race for 10 minutes and get off.

And that's one of it's best pluses.

I tried getting into Shift 2 a while back, you know for changes sakes... and the tuning really put me off. You have to first see what race it is, study the track layout if you're not already familiar with it, then go back to the main menu to tune. Not to mention how you have to load a certain tune every time before a race!

They might not like it but they will have a higher inclination to try it. Just that psychological advantage of it being something that not everyone can experience.

Also:

Self Concept
Many marketers use a concept related to personality, called Self-Concept. The main premise of self-concept is that a consumer's possessions directly contribute to, and directly reflect their identities. Basically a person "is" what they have

So, for a very avid fan of Playstation, having a hyped exclusive in their possession means they ARE Playstation(in their eyes)

Last edited:
Bit off topic but do we have a GT6 v Forza 5 photomode? Just been on the GT6 side having a look at photo mode and im amazed at how good it looks.

We did, somewhere, in the FM4 Photomode section back when things were ForzaPlanet. Not sure where it is now, and I'm just popping out, so can't look.

That being said, as someone who's spent very nearly a decade in that section of GTPlanet, be wary of comparing the two; not only is the GT section massively more populated than the Photomode section here (unsurprisingly), a great many of us edit our shots - pretty extensively, sometimes.

We did, somewhere, in the FM4 Photomode section back when things were ForzaPlanet. Not sure where it is now, and I'm just popping out, so can't look.

That being said, as someone who's spent very nearly a decade in that section of GTPlanet, be wary of comparing the two; not only is the GT section massively more populated than the Photomode section here (unsurprisingly), a great many of us edit our shots - pretty extensively, sometimes.
I dont remember there being one for FM5 v GT6, and you mentioned FP makes me think your thinking about FM4 v GT5 :P. I always liked the idea, If it can end up not turning into a typical vs thread(which I dont see happening.)

Since the Xbox One is dropping price in June, I'm thinking about picking up one, as well as a copy of FM5. If someone hasn't created it by then, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

Yeah whenever i dont see the watermark on the pics i leave (not a fan of the photoshop way)

Would be good to have one, Maybe better off in the Forza section so it does not turn into a willy waving contest.

Would be good to have one, Maybe better off in the Forza section so it does not turn into a willy waving contest.

There are enough respectable members on that side of the forum that I dont think it would get to that. I would think that the FM forums would probably be worse off as I dont think to many randoms go to the GT6 photo forum unless they are actually taking pictures. Forza's forums on the other hand would have more of a problem, I would think, because it would tend to be visited by Pro-GTers because it stands out like a sore thumb.

Almost every shot I've taken in GT6 that doesn't include smoke has made me think GT5 was the better looking game. It just seems crisper and there's some horrible HDR sky issues on the new tracks.

Matterhorn Dristelen _1.jpg Matterhorn Rotenboden_13.jpg

I dont remember there being one for FM5 v GT6, and you mentioned FP makes me think your thinking about FM4 v GT5 :P. I always liked the idea, If it can end up not turning into a typical vs thread(which I dont see happening.)

Since the Xbox One is dropping price in June, I'm thinking about picking up one, as well as a copy of FM5. If someone hasn't created it by then, maybe I'll give it a shot.

I tried that in GT5 as Forza AND GT5 and a couple of people took exception. But I think it is still a great idea to get shots from both games together in a friendly showing. There are some magnificent and also very friendly and helpful people on the GT side.

VXR
Almost every shot I've taken in GT6 that doesn't include smoke has made me think GT5 was the better looking game. It just seems crisper and there's some horrible HDR sky issues on the new tracks.

View attachment 156335 View attachment 156336

It does seem a bit sharper and crisper. Imo Gt still looks more photorealistic but it lacks everywhere else.

HyZ0m7p.jpg

Close enough for me though. The pic is edited.

That looks terrible. The colors that is. I know it's edited, but why is there so much banding between the sky color gradients? And the P1 looks like it was painted using a superbright orange crayon.

I'm sure it doesn't look this bad when you're actually viewing it on screen.

What's wrong here then?
Its over edited, it looks the same on all screens.

That looks terrible. The colors that is. I know it's edited, but why is there so much banding between the sky color gradients? And the P1 looks like it was painted using a superbright orange crayon.

I'm sure it doesn't look this bad when you're actually viewing it on screen.

What's wrong here then?
The original was done in 8bit(32/24bit) color. Not enough color space to manipulate a picture that way. Not saying that particular edit would have looked good no matter what.

I see. On a related note I have an 8-bit HD TV (8 bit per channel so that's 24-bit color depth), and none of my games display banding like that. I game on an X360.

Speaking of which, is there any need to upgrade from a 2008 LCD TV if I want to enjoy a PS4/X1?

Back