Forza 5 physics vs GT6 аnd other sims

• Thread starter shved111
  • 1,034 comments
I see. On a related note I have an 8-bit HD TV (8 bit per channel so that's 24-bit color depth), and none of my games display banding like that. I game on an X360.

Speaking of which, is there any need to upgrade from a 2008 LCD TV if I want to enjoy a PS4/X1?

The banding is because it was edited. This is the original.
O7QgvLM.jpg

HyZ0m7p.jpg

I can see it without tilting my screen. It's just because it's a fairly heavily compressed .jpg.

I love the 1080p photos and all, but I have to admit I miss the days of the .bmp exports.

That looks like one of those pictures you make when you try Photoshop for the very first time; where you load something and slide the contrast knob all the way to the right.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can still notice the banding in the original too. And I got one'o'dem' CRT monitors see?!

Heavy compression like he said.

Hey isn't there a way to just upload my pics here directly from my PC's HD?

VXR
Not at all. My tv is also from 2008 and displays 1080p nicely.

Well, I meant color-wise, refresh rates, HDMI compliance.. all the non-1080p related stuff that is.

The banding is because it was edited. This is the original.

The original probably wasn't ~250kb.

It's just compressed too much for the size it is. There's no way you can have a 1080p image at ~250kb and not get artifacts unless it's a really, really simple image. The artifacts are the result of the JPG algorithm throwing away information to simplify the image into something that can be contained in ~250kb. The altered version is even worse at ~150kb, there's obvious blockiness in almost all areas of the image when you look at it full screen.

There are plugins that can "reverse" the JPG artifacting, but you've already lost the information by running such a small file size. The plugins are just very good at guessing what used to be there and smoothing it over. It's not as good as doing it right in the first place.

Modern JPG is about as good as it gets as far as compromises between size and quality go, so I wouldn't bother tooling around with other file types. But for an image of that size you're looking at 6-700kb for no noticeable artifacts, and probably 1Mb+ if you want it to be seriously clean. JPG quality 10 minimum as a rule of thumb I would say.

If you want a smaller file size, reduce the resolution of the image. You don't need to drop it much to see substantial reductions in file size. Just make sure your downscaling algorithm is a good one if you're not going down in multiples of 2.

I'm not the best editor in the world, but the way I picked up my Photoshop skills means I learned a lot about file sizes and compression algorithms. I'm happy to share any advice if there's interest.

I see. On a related note I have an 8-bit HD TV (8 bit per channel so that's 24-bit color depth), and none of my games display banding like that. I game on an X360.

Speaking of which, is there any need to upgrade from a 2008 LCD TV if I want to enjoy a PS4/X1?

Its really an issue if you want to exaggerate colors, or bring out really dark spots. Say turn this picture
Nikon-D5300-Sample-Dynamic-Range-Image.jpg

To this
Nikon-D5300-Sample-Dynamic-Range-Image-HDR.jpg

If the original was shot with only 8 bit color, that would be a very good trick.

Also most TN based LCD/LED panels are 6bit+dithering. which is too bad. These are used in most laptops and low cost displays. Also used in high refresh rate displays (120hz gaming monitors.)

Most (all?) PS4, X1, and PC games are 32bit (8bits for red, green, blue, and 8bit for alpha) I don't know of any 30bit (10bit for each color) native games. But I'd love to be corrected.

Last edited:
It was Tornado and Slip's posts that I took exception to. Their calling of Kings editing skills "poor" and "inexperienced" was what I found unnecessarily harsh. That's just how I feel about online etiquette, though, and perhaps I'm a bit prudish.

I never loved GT, always it seemed to me it is boring and senseless because in GT never there was good this physics, gt1,2,3,4 were far from a simulator (Enthusia was much better, than gt4)
the atmosphere and traditions of GT is alien to me, I love Forza motorsport is more modern game with the best physics

Gt5 was awful physics, however many considered it as a simulator:)) F4 was much better than the physicist of driving. these are 100% the truth

But recently having bought gt6, I fell in love with this game, with this physics! I still don't love many features and aspects гт, but the physics forces me to forget about everything and to enjoy driving.

Fantasy tracks with springboards and height differences in gt5 seemed elaborate, and silly. But with new physics it is a useful experience

Tires - the suspension bracket, all this perfectly works, it is the best physics in my life! And this pleasure. Driving in gt6 - realistic, fascinating, and as if dance on tiptoe. I love gt6, for this physics, it is delightful!

In gt6 I play on fanatec gt2 + csr-e pedals.
Also recently Forza 5 and Thrustmaster TX bought. I very much respect F4, it is good physics for 2011, but gt6 it is better. And forza5 the physics too is good, but it peculiar, and differs from gt6

Physics gt6 realistic, but "benevolent", and here physics f5 more difficult for understanding. Also I play two weeks, and I didn't understand - what it is a physics f5.

Physics f5 more difficult, than in gt6, more "solid", more dangerous, and exacting. Even the physics of F5 seems to me is more cruel and prickly. But physics f5 - it is obvious more perfectly, Than in f4. that it is better - gt6 or f5 than the physicist, I can't answer yet.

Physics F5 - good,feeling good tires, but the suspension in GT6 better IMHO.
GT6 is a sense of realism, kindness ,simplicity ,and tough but fair punishment for driving on the grass,or careless driving(slide in GT not less severe than in F5 , but in F5 it happen more often)

but still GT6 forgives a lot of mistakes - driving in GT6 as a waltz. Driving in Forza 4 as Boxing - Boxing gloves, driving in F5 - like Boxing without gloves)

In F4 drifts more frequent than in GT6, but it is easily fixed on the steering wheel,even in SIM mode.
In F5 drifts compared to the F4 less often, but more often than GT6.
And F5 drifts very difficult to fix(although depends on car model) F5 steering wheel physics is very severe, does not forgive mistakes. It's fun. But I don't know who is right GT6 or F5.
I like both, but GT6 physics I like probably more due to better suspension physics

Don't want to pass for casual,but I think that GT6 physics more realistic, as in physics F5 too difficult.
Although F5 physics can be called emotional. And F5 is a feature, driving seems more solid and immersion than in GT6

The perception of physics and influence of external factors on the joystick is a vibration in the triggers, steering wheels - what in GT6 I have a simpler Fanatec gt2 , and F5 is a more advanced TX.
Feedback in GT6 worse, possibly due to a difference in class steering wheels.

The engine sound in GT6 lousy, external special effects such as the noise of the gravel in the wheel arches,suspension squeaks, etc modern sound effects in GT6 is missing. The sound effects and the engine in Gt6 At the level of 2001.
But despite more bad feedback, and sound - I like to ride in GT, possibly nicer than F5,although I've always been a fan of Forza Motorsport.

And if GT6 would be such a beautiful computer graphics ,as in F5, the same modern sound engine and sound effects... Then F5 could compete with GT6 , if even without all this, it seems to me that GT6 nicer driving? despite the crappy graphics, sound,and not the best feedback,with wacky shaking steering wheel effect?
Now for me the sum of the driving feeling GT6 and F5 on equal terms, but only due to external factors such as sound, graphics, etc

I never loved GT, always it seemed to me it is boring and senseless because in GT never there was good this physics, gt1,2,3,4 were far from a simulator (Enthusia was much better, than gt4)
the atmosphere and traditions of GT is alien to me, I love Forza motorsport is more modern game with the best physics

Gt5 was awful physics, however many considered it as a simulator:)) F4 was much better than the physicist of driving. these are 100% the truth

But recently having bought gt6, I fell in love with this game, with this physics! I still don't love many features and aspects гт, but the physics forces me to forget about everything and to enjoy driving.

Fantasy tracks with springboards and height differences in gt5 seemed elaborate, and silly. But with new physics it is a useful experience

Tires - the suspension bracket, all this perfectly works, it is the best physics in my life! And this pleasure. Driving in gt6 - realistic, fascinating, and as if dance on tiptoe. I love gt6, for this physics, it is delightful!

In gt6 I play on fanatec gt2 + csr-e pedals.
Also recently Forza 5 and Thrustmaster TX bought. I very much respect F4, it is good physics for 2011, but gt6 it is better. And forza5 the physics too is good, but it peculiar, and differs from gt6

Physics gt6 realistic, but "benevolent", and here physics f5 more difficult for understanding. Also I play two weeks, and I didn't understand - what it is a physics f5.

Physics f5 more difficult, than in gt6, more "solid", more dangerous, and exacting. Even the physics of F5 seems to me is more cruel and prickly. But physics f5 - it is obvious more perfectly, Than in f4. that it is better - gt6 or f5 than the physicist, I can't answer yet.

Physics F5 - good,feeling good tires, but the suspension in GT6 better IMHO.
GT6 is a sense of realism, kindness ,simplicity ,and tough but fair punishment for driving on the grass,or careless driving(slide in GT not less severe than in F5 , but in F5 it happen more often)

but still GT6 forgives a lot of mistakes - driving in GT6 as a waltz. Driving in Forza 4 as Boxing - Boxing gloves, driving in F5 - like Boxing without gloves)

In F4 drifts more frequent than in GT6, but it is easily fixed on the steering wheel,even in SIM mode.
In F5 drifts compared to the F4 less often, but more often than GT6.
And F5 drifts very difficult to fix(although depends on car model) F5 steering wheel physics is very severe, does not forgive mistakes. It's fun. But I don't know who is right GT6 or F5.
I like both, but GT6 physics I like probably more due to better suspension physics

Don't want to pass for casual,but I think that GT6 physics more realistic, as in physics F5 too difficult.
Although F5 physics can be called emotional. And F5 is a feature, driving seems more solid and immersion than in GT6

The perception of physics and influence of external factors on the joystick is a vibration in the triggers, steering wheels - what in GT6 I have a simpler Fanatec gt2 , and F5 is a more advanced TX.
Feedback in GT6 worse, possibly due to a difference in class steering wheels.

The engine sound in GT6 lousy, external special effects such as the noise of the gravel in the wheel arches,suspension squeaks, etc modern sound effects in GT6 is missing. The sound effects and the engine in Gt6 At the level of 2001.
But despite more bad feedback, and sound - I like to ride in GT, possibly nicer than F5,although I've always been a fan of Forza Motorsport.

And if GT6 would be such a beautiful computer graphics ,as in F5, the same modern sound engine and sound effects... Then F5 could compete with GT6 , if even without all this, it seems to me that GT6 nicer driving? despite the crappy graphics, sound,and not the best feedback,with wacky shaking steering wheel effect?
Now for me the sum of the driving feeling GT6 and F5 on equal terms, but only due to external factors such as sound, graphics, etc

might want to go back to the drawing board with that post.

Look at where he is from. Russia. Probably not that good with English

Yea, I realized that. But there is plenty of other problems with it other than the grammar. It seems to have blanket statements, and at times opinions passed on as facts. Granted I could be missing something in translation.

So much is lost in the translation, much of it I cannot decode the meaning..

Give him a break man, lay off! Ain't his first language.

There is no problem at all, it's not his native language.

Really no need for that. He wasn't belittling the member, he just stated how meanings behind a message can be lost in translation.

Furthermore, if you want to make an argument, make it clear. If it's an opinion don't state it as a fact. Leave it as is.

I always liked Forza more than the GT, including due to a better physics. GT has always been boring, because - in GT3, gt4, gt5 physics was worse than average, bad physics. and F4 was many times better driving physics on the steering wheel. but now I have a GT 6 and F5, fanatec GT2 and TX. I tested them for about a month and a final conclusion: Forza4 - was good in 2011, but a little worse and more boring physics F5, F5 more perfect

F5 to better tires, but the difference with the F4 on the steering wheel is not large. but "GT6" physics pleasantly surprised, this is actually better, nicer, more realistic and richer driving experience. Due to the fact - that the "GT 6" made perfect model of the suspension, it's cool. model suspension F5 worse, and this is the only, but very important difference from the "GT 6"

Hopefully F6 - make a good model of suspension, but now it's like this: gt5< Enthusia< F4< F5< GT6

GT5 - a pile of garbage physics, arcade <F4 - much better than GT5, tires, suspension <F4 F5 almost like a little better, a little less than drifts a little more severe and more difficult, the best tire model <"GT 6" - perfect physics, smart, good suspension, good tire model

Due to the physics of the suspension" GT 6 "better than the F5," GT 6 "more interesting and realistic. If in F5 was such a model of suspension, these games would be equal. And I do not feel the difference in the tire model "GT 6" and F5, turn10 and insidesimracing deceiving

I'm a fan of Forza motorsport, but I have to admit that physics "GT6" more perfect than F5. But if you play on the joystick, the "GT 6" and F5 do not have significant differences. Is that F5 little more rigid, but the steering wheel is not so strongly expressed. "GT 6" and F5 - is the same, equal to physics, but in the "GT 6" much better suspension, and it makes the physics of "GT 6" is much better and more perfect.

This is the truth, everything else - stupid war fans, poorly knowledgeable in the physics of driving

in 2013 became the first series GT simulator, before it was half-arcade, but the "GT 6" became the simulator with the best physics on all modern consoles, eclipsing fm
my rating of the physics of driving:
gt4 - 0 of 10
GT5 - 2 out of 10
Enthusia - 4.5 out of 10
Forza 4 - 7 out of 10
Forza 5 7.5 out of 10
"GT 6" - 8.5, 9 out of 10

Much more important, and pgayuschey element F5 - is - that the brake distance (car without upgrading) Feels seems shorter than the "GT 6", it is very bad for the simulator. Although the lap time comparable. I tested the stock LFA at the Nürburgring GP, and my time has coincided with the nearest second. I do not know how they do it, but braking F5 alarming. I have not measured, but I plan to make a video on this topic.

However, I felt the Lotus F1 to F5, and 300kmch this bollid stops 50 meters !!! While in real life, not less than 100 meters. this is terrible! I conducted measurements on the track Sarte, using signs to inform you of the distance to the turn

Last edited:
OK, I noticed strange behavior of some FF car "GT 6" in F5 cars are driven differently. In "GT 6" on some non-modified cars working a powerful anti-roll bar as you think it is realistic? But some cars similar to the F5. Volkswagen Sirocco R in F5 even more stable than the "GT 6"

and I made a video

OK, I noticed strange behavior of some FF car "GT 6" in F5 cars are driven differently. In "GT 6" on some non-modified cars working a powerful anti-roll bar as you think it is realistic? But some cars similar to the F5. Volkswagen Sirocco R in F5 even more stable than the "GT 6"

and I made a video

As similar as this comparison may seem. Different road surfaces, Different tire models ( and tire gathering techniques), Could be differences in inputs(FM5 didn't always sound flat out). As far as what one handles more realistic. All I can say is they behave differently, as all sims do. You need to do the test with a real car to have a true benchmark, opinions don't prove anything.

You could probably do this test in real life and come away with different outcomes based on temps, surfaces, and so on. So even with reality as a benchmark this test would be tricky to prove anything.

Back