Forza 5 Review Thread

• Thread starter HAL20XX
  • 114 comments
No surprise, it's a highly anticipated game for highly anticipated console that got a bad score.
Indeed but it seems the bad score is mostly because of the smaller amount of content, which is a bit harsh as everything that is available is truly next gen.

Then GT's prologue games would have received 4 or 5's following that logic.

Indeed but it seems that's mostly because of the smaller amount of content, which is a bit harsh as everything that is available is truly next gen.

Then GT's prologue games would have received 4 or 5's following that logic.

Yeah, I totally agree. I think the main arguing point for people regarding the lack of content in Forza 5 is that it shouldn't have came out if it wasn't ready, at the end of the day, I believe T10 would have waited a year or two because I think they are a great development team who make amazing games. Forza 5 stands for what could have been in respect to content(Only tracks really, 200 cars is a solid amount) and at least with say GT 'Prologue' the clue is in the title - it's not a finished game.

T10 unfortunately have bore the brunt of slightly less positive scores than what they are used to because they set such a high standard for themselves, and much like people believed they were getting 1000+ fully premium models in GT5, people get disappointed when a launch title is just that - a launch title.

There must be a curse in the sim industry with the numeral '5'.

Yeah, I totally agree. I think the main arguing point for people regarding the lack of content in Forza 5 is that it shouldn't have came out if it wasn't ready, at the end of the day, I believe T10 would have waited a year or two because I think they are a great development team who make amazing games. Forza 5 stands for what could have been in respect to content(Only tracks really, 200 cars is a solid amount) and at least with say GT 'Prologue' the clue is in the title - it's not a finished game.

T10 unfortunately have bore the brunt of slightly less positive scores than what they are used to because they set such a high standard for themselves, and much like people believed they were getting 1000+ fully premium models in GT5, people get disappointed when a launch title is just that - a launch title.

There must be a curse in the sim industry with the numeral '5'.
Hope the curse lifts with the number 6 in two weeks time, but from what i've seen so far it might just stick! :lol:

You're right tough, T10 should have added a "prologue" or "next gen" to their title to avoid this bad feedback for the lesser content.

Hope the curse lifts with the number 6 in two weeks time, but from what i've seen so far it might just stick! :lol:

You're right tough, T10 should have added a "prologue" or "next gen" to their title to avoid this bad feedback for the lesser content.

Didn't matter what they did, people expect all of the previous content just because. Never mind it's a new generation of consoles thats going with one standard so a lot needs to be rebuilt. Not sure about everyone else but I'll take the launch title over the gt4 to gt5 turn time. My FM4 garage has 295 cars, a ton that i've driven once or twice.

Didn't matter what they did, people expect all of the previous content just because. Never mind it's a new generation of consoles thats going with one standard so a lot needs to be rebuilt. Not sure about everyone else but I'll take the launch title over the gt4 to gt5 turn time. My FM4 garage has 295 cars, a ton that i've driven once or twice.
The track list seems where most complaints are coming from though.

Hear hear, give me a developer that chooses quality and innovation over plainly porting over last gen content and ignoring their public anyday :cheers:

I'm still angry because the vultures at MS rendered my FM! fanatec wheel useless, but who knows for the future i would miss the franchise too much. You should have seen the smile on my face when i first bought FM4 after years of fustration with PD's incompetence...

Last edited:
I believe Forza's claim had to do with the overall series average score. Considering GT6 is only really adding a few tracks and cars to GT5, and a new physics engine (while every other feature is being cut out at launch, to be patched in at some unknown later date), I don't see it scoring very much higher than 5 did, especially as the genre has changed in three years, and it's on a last-gen system now.
B-spec not being available at launch won't lower the review scores in any way, no one really praises GT for B-spec, it's the A-spec that reviewers pay most attention to, course maker is a nice addition but also not the feature reviewers pay attention to, they barely mentioned it in the GT5 reviews. GT Mode and Online is what the reviewers will judge GT6 by when they review the game, from the news it seems that GT6's main focus is A-spec and Online, i would expect the reviews to be between 8-10. unless they screwed something up and did not tell us about it, GT6 is in position to score as good as the PS2 GTs in my opinion

Last edited:
CVG really pulled no punches. I made a big adjustment in my driving coming from the GT series, looks like I may have to do that again.
I thought their were review was pretty bad. I didn't disagree with all of their points, but a lot of what they said doesn't make sense. The races in Forza 4 were somehow magically better than FM5, even though the races themselves are no different (except now there are more cars)? Then he complains that the tire physics are unrealistic and too slippery yet he can't carry a decent line to save him.

Why all the focus on the bad reviews...there are also a ton of good reviews. I am not saying FM5 doesn't deserve some criticism but again the focus is on the worst of the reviews. I'm going with the average of all.

I remember when we used mainstream sites for footage and info on gtplanet. The scores were considered meaningless to us sim racers.

I thought their were review was pretty bad. I didn't disagree with all of their points, but a lot of what they said doesn't make sense. The races in Forza 4 were somehow magically better than FM5, even though the races themselves are no different (except now there are more cars)? Then he complains that the tire physics are unrealistic and too slippery yet he can't carry a decent line to save him.

Come Friday some of us (hope I am in that us group) will have a chance to see for ourselves. When I first started out with Forza4, it was harder for me to stay on the road than it was in GT. Now I much prefer Forza and will adjust again if needed. And for the record, I am not the greatest driver (member of the road butcher club) but I love the hypercars. I will start out with a pretty nice garage but Ford and I will be rolling till I get the hang of it.

I don't think I will have a hard time adjusting FM5, Its been a year since GT5 when I play it with a wheel. FM4 I only play it half or more year ago in my brothers home on few occasions. So For FM5 I will have to learn how to play 💡

I can't trust any videogame journalist when it comes to physics, so I'll have to try the game myself for that, but I see my concern for a lack of tracks has been echoed in the reviews.
edge-online.com
Forget the longed-for dynamic weather and night racing: on the way to the new generation, Forza has lost some 300 cars, over 20 locations and countless tracks, gaining versions of Spa-Francorchamps, Mount Panorama, Yas Marina and the city of Prague by way of small compensation. And by losing tracks, Forza loses the variety of racing that made it great. Without Fujimi Kaido, there is no touge racing; without drag strips, there can be no drag racing; with only one oval, there is no real Daytona; without the Nürburgring, there is no iconic endurance race; and without the beautiful Camino Viejo De Montserrat, there is no joy...

...Criminally, Forza 5 removes test driving of any kind and limits to just a handful the cars available in its Free Play mode. It’s perhaps understandable that players might want to immediately leap into the Lotus F1 car making its series debut, but here it’s locked behind six million credits’ worth of racing, which means hours of laps around the same half-dozen locations.
These comments also clicked for me:
egmnow.com
It looks great on next-gen, but quite honestly, I couldn’t care less about the damn upholstery of a Honda S2000 if it means I’m losing out on actually racing several other cars because of it.
edge-online.com
...it’s only in the fictional [Prague] circuit where Forza’s new visual fidelity jumps off the screen, while upgraded racetracks such as Silverstone and Catalunya are as flat and lifeless now as they ever were. Forza 4 was already so close an approximation of reality that the million-polygon models made possible by increased processing power for Forza 5 offer only minimal returns.
It seems the demand of "OMG HD GRAFFIX" has once again crippled what could have been a positively stellar game, for no practical benefit. I suppose the foundation is in place for FM6. I might actually care about the XBone by then, particularly if Horizon 2 delivers more substance than style.

maybe because I'm 35 but graphics don't get me any more, we're getting to a point where graphics are going to be great no matter what the system is. Game play is what I'm more worried about. My favorite game is Aces High, WWII aircombat sim with 2005 era graphics but game play is threw the roof. FM5 looks great and felt great from the little i played.

maybe because I'm 35 but graphics don't get me any more, we're getting to a point where graphics are going to be great no matter what the system is. Game play is what I'm more worried about. My favorite game is Aces High, WWII aircombat sim with 2005 era graphics but game play is threw the roof. FM5 looks great and felt great from the little i played.
My favorite console racing sim is still Enthusia, also 2005 era. Graphics aren't totally pointless, obviously, but when gameplay and depth take a backseat to aesthetics, it's a shame. If FM5 had twice as many tracks rendered in lesser detail, that would be a better offering, IMO.
Cant believe all the reviews who marked it down for having less content then previous games. To have a game of this magnitude, on Day 1, they should be glad it has any content at all.
I'm with you when it comes to cars -- ~200 is totally plenty enough -- but the track list seems disappointing not just for its limited options, but the selections Turn 10 made. At least for my tastes, they carried over the most monotonous/annoying tracks from FM4 while getting rid of the best ones. :indiff:

I understand why they left a lot out. Sucks but this being a launch title I knew it was coming, I'm sure we will be seeing some return as expansions and all plus some for FM6

I

It seems the demand of "OMG HD GRAFFIX" has once again crippled what could have been a positively stellar game, for no practical benefit. I suppose the foundation is in place for FM6. I might actually care about the XBone by then, particularly if Horizon 2 delivers more substance than style.

Sad but so true. And I'm so glad to at-least see some reviews hammering them for the obvious and not just giving it 10's across the board because it's pretty. And I wouldn't count on anything coming from T10/PG/MS ever having any substance over style going forward.

I think there's going to be loads of angry people come tomorrow. I've heard a couple rumors that will be considered massive bombshells in the community. Stuff that in typical T10 fashion they've not let anyone know until the game is actually released. I learned after FM2....beware of the stuff they tell you, beware more of the stuff they're NOT telling you.

Sad but so true. And I'm so glad to at-least see some reviews hammering them for the obvious and not just giving it 10's across the board because it's pretty. And I wouldn't count on anything coming from T10/PG/MS ever having any substance over style going forward.

I think there's going to be loads of angry people come tomorrow. I've heard a couple rumors that will be considered massive bombshells in the community. Stuff that in typical T10 fashion they've not let anyone know until the game is actually released. I learned after FM2....beware of the stuff they tell you, beware more of the stuff they're NOT telling you.
Like what?

Cant believe all the reviews who marked it down for having less content then previous games. To have a game of this magnitude, on Day 1, they should be glad it has any content at all.
This magnitude?
I'd rather they waited ~12 months into the console's life cycle like they have with previous games.

Problem solved then. I'll give £50 to play and give them my feedback in the meantime. When those two years roll around again I'll re-evaluate whether the game is worth my money again, same old routine since 2005.

Yas Marina is a bit of an odd inclusion. I mean it looks pretty but it's not that interesting to drive compared to others. There'd be many more above that for HD treatment in my book plus there's no night in Forza right? I know it doesn't have TOD but there's no actual fixed night setting either? Yas Marina is all about day to night transition and night racing to me. Regardless of night though I doubt people have been calling for it?

I guess Valencia Street Circuit is up next because boats

This is just what I've heard, so don't take it as gospel. But no hotlap leaderboards anymore. No rollups anymore. Those are two staples since FM1. Also have heard no car clubs and no car gifting as well.
Some of those would be a strange exclusion, but none a deal breaker. I should know within the next 8 hours!

Some of those would be a strange exclusion, but none a deal breaker. I should know within the next 8 hours!

No more clubs and no overall leader boards which basically means no more hotlapping. What T10 were thinking of when this was agreed is beyond me

Back