Forza 5 Review Thread

• Thread starter HAL20XX
  • 114 comments
No leaderboards...does that mean no rivals?
That IS a deal breaker. 90%+ of my time with fm4 was spent in auction house/rivals.

No more clubs and no overall leader boards which basically means no more hotlapping. What T10 were thinking of when this was agreed is beyond me

The addition of overall leaderboards to the system they have now would actually be a better thing for hotlappers. They just need to add the roll up.

No more clubs and no overall leader boards which basically means no more hotlapping. What T10 were thinking of when this was agreed is beyond me

They probably looked at the highest-selling console racing game, saw it had next to no leaderboards, and figured "hey, if they can..." ;)

In all seriousness, that's quite a blow. I'm shocked they'd drop general leaderboards, as well as clubs, especially after crowing so much about the latter in FM4. IMO, they really transformed the game, allowing me to compete against club members in rivals and general hotlapping instead of having to hunt everybody down and friend them.

Still playing. Cliff's Notes: Physics are absolutely stunning. Some graphical/audio issues. I'll post much more later.

Oh, and I'm seeing the same old leaderboards. No clubs, though.

The game mechanics are excellent and so are the graphics. The menus are a little "meh" but I can live with that. The race series seem to have a nice variety to them and the extra challenges thrown in them help mix things up a bit. So far I don't think it's as good as 4 was, but considering an all new console I think it's a pretty solid effort.

The Good Points: The handling is phenomenal. You can really feel the limits of grip through the force feedback triggers, the drivatars, albeit borderline reckless at times, are actually challenging once the difficulty is cranked up. The paint booth is improved, with the ability to paint OVER Carbon Fibre now. 3000 layers on left/right side & top, 1000 layers front and back. And a possibility of Stock Cars, DTM, Pre-War, 60's/80's/90's F1 Cars on their way. No issues with servers so far

The Bad Points: Firstly, Lobby settings can't be saved, meaning you need to put them in manually every time. Car Clubs are gone. You can't gift things as far as I'm aware, not cars, designs or logos, which could be a problem for teammates, You can't spectate a race, effectively ending the ability to Live Stream a race other than from the players point-of-view. Replays can't be saved in multiplayer, making the stewards and Media team pretty much redundant. In 'Free Play', you can't test drive any car you want; In fact, you can only drive the cars you own and 24 others (Not the Lotus F1, but you can drive the Indycars, V8SC & '76 F1 Cars). Inviting to game seems very confusing. I think the person you're inviting needs to be in your party to join your game.

If these issues can be addressed/patched, then this will turn out to be a cracking racing game, but until then, I can only score it a measly 6/10

Last edited:
Why did I choose it? What made me think creating a Drivatar whilst using an S2000 was a good idea? Notorious in the wet, it's also completely malevolent in the cold, too. Opening in the Bernese Alps, I experienced every kind of spin, weight-shift, power-oversteer and dorifto imaginable, none of which were any help. It would have been easy to buy another car; the Golf R or Audi RS3 with their safe, 4WD setup for instance. Yet no, I'm an enthusiast, if I cant tame this beast, what am I? I eventually limped home in 10th, my audition for Drivatar looking more like a destruction derby recital. In the relative warmth of Dunsfold and actual warmth of Yas Marina, I really started to lean on the S2K without the fear of instant death mid-corner. I'd tamed it. Partially.

What can we glean from the above, then? Forza was a well-honed, enjoyable drive fourth time around and still holds up well now. With 5, Turn 10 have taken it by the scruff of the neck, kicked it up the bum and laid on a deep, challenging and rewarding driving model that will provide hours of fun and enjoyment for those who just love the way a car moves, either by your own design or your own hamfistedness. FM4 introduced weight-shifts that you'd be lucky to control, but 5 has turned them into genre-defining moments. If you want to feel like the car beneath you is alive in your hands, on console, I don't think it'll be beaten any time soon.

With this much in the handling department, it really is no shame in only having 200 cars, because each one is going to be even more defined from the others than ever before. 9/10 and that's because of missing features, like hotlapping without changing settings. Quirks, basically.

1.Driving physics are great and meatier
2.The layout is chaotic it's not user friendly
3.Forza vista is good eye candy
4.The game feels more like a cash grab now compared too fm4
5.Getting less money it's taking a long time too get cars
But overall it been a very good experience........

VXR, you nailed it on the head. These. Cars. Feel. Alive! To give everyone an idea of just how awesome the physics are, along with a decent (but not great) career mode, I've only driven 4 cars in the 40+ races so far.

And yes, the haptic triggers are game changers. I was a non-believer until now.

Maybe I should cross my fingers that they sell a special edition of FM5 with track DLC included months from now, because I'm just not getting an XBone in the near future, and I don't think I could wring a lot of replay value out of the tracks on the disc.

I look forward to getting a chance to try the new physics myself.

Well, thought I would add my 2 cents worth into this, after my first 24 hours with the game I'm really enjoying the physics, the cars have real weight to them, drifting is a whole different ball game all together, that is going to take some time to master again!

There is a huge dead zone in the triggers on the controller, meaning that you're at full pressure after half a squeeze, I'm not sure if this is a Forza problem or a controller problem but it means locking brakes is stupidly easy, I've found myself upgrading the brakes to the top just so I can adjust the pressure.

Unfortunately, it feels like a free to play title with all these tokens and not being able to use all the cars in free mode I hope they see sense come FM6.

In an attempt to make the career mode feel deeper they have drawn it out with all kinds of silly classes and races, each championship will see you use pretty much every track available in the game, I played for hours yesterday and I'm still on the first league, I feel they could have made it a better, less repetitive experience had they made the races longer but less of them.

I've really noticed the lack of the storefront, no longer can you search for a replica paint job of your favourite livery or the likes, you'll pretty much have to go over to FM.net and look through the paint forums, find what you want and search for the creator (which I'm not even sure you can).

Overall I'm enjoying it, in its current guise I can't see me getting 2 years worth of gameplay out of this title like I did with previous Forza's, I'm hoping the expansion packs add to this game in more than just cars and tracks.

7/10

Last edited:
Well, thought I would add my 2 cents worth into this, after my first 24 hours with the game I'm really enjoying the physics, the cars have real weight to them, drifting is a whole different ball game all together, that is going to take some time to master again!

There is a huge dead zone in the triggers on the controller, meaning that you're at full pressure after half a squeeze, I'm not sure if this is a Forza problem or a controller problem but it means locking brakes is stupidly easy, I've found myself upgrading the brakes to the top just so I can adjust the pressure.

Unfortunately, it feels like a free to play title with all these tokens and not being able to use all the cars in free mode I hope they see sense come FM6.

In an attempt to make the career mode feel deeper they have drawn it out with all kinds of silly classes and races, each championship will see you use pretty much every track available in the game, I played for hours yesterday and I'm still on the first league, I feel they could have made it a better, less repetitive experience had they made the races longer but less of them.

I've really noticed the lack of the storefront, no longer can you search for a replica paint job of your favourite livery or the likes, you'll pretty much have to go over to FM.net and look through the paint forums, find what you want and search for the creator (which I'm not even sure you can).

Overall I'm enjoying it, in its current guise I can't see me getting 2 years worth of gameplay out of this title like I did with previous Forza's, I'm hoping the expansion packs add to this game in more than just cars and tracks.

7/10
So saying that FM5 is a sort of a prologue game, a taster of next gen or a FM "vision" would be the right way to describe it no?

They should have priced it at 40 bucks and named it as such, but we all know MS no don't we? :D

Have any reviews come in using a steering wheel?
I'm waiting for reviews, too. I'm on the fence but need to know if it's worth the $400 entry price (because let's be honest, it's going to require the purchase of a shifter, pedals, and rig to put it on).

And yes, the haptic triggers are game changers. I was a non-believer until now.
I disagree, for now. They were hyped beyond hype and they have yet to wow me.
They feel weak, all of the rumble in the controller feels weak, to be honest.
It also feels like the design of the controller itself regressed from the near perfect 360 pad.

Here are the instructions I found

Step 1: Create a new layer, select 'apply a vinyl shape'

Step 2: Tab to the left to select 'Recommended groups'. These are the community created vinyls.

Step 3: Hit the select button on the controller to bring up the search option

Step 4: Browse your search results

Can you not do the same type of thing for full liveries?

I disagree, for now. They were hyped beyond hype and they have yet to wow me.
They feel weak, all of the rumble in the controller feels weak, to be honest.
It also feels like the design of the controller itself regressed from the near perfect 360 pad.
Strange, the rumble on my controller is VERY pronounced. I wonder if there's something wrong with your controller?

Reading it's gonna cost £1400 for all cars, is that true? :confused:

Probably if you bought every car with the token system, that wouldn't surprise me. Just as I'm sure the total would be outrageous for any game that offered a similar system. FM4 and Horizon would've easily totalled a few hundred dollars, and GT6 is likely to do the same.

I'm sorry I absolutely love this game! The cars are alive! Even the tracks that carried over feel completely different in a great way! Turn off assists and set Drivatars on unbeatable and it's such a fun challenge. Easy to work up cash in rivals mode. So far my favorite is the Laferrari at Spa!

Great Job T10! Can't wait for my wheel!

Haven't played the game myself but I will say this. I've been watching ISR's one hour gameplay video of FM5 and the menus look really good. One thing I didn't like about FM4 was how boring and uninsired the menus looked. It made the game feel empty and uninteresting at times. FM5 UI is a lot more lively.

Other than that, the game looks fun to play from what I've seen.
Really wish I could try it.

I'm pretty disappointed by the track selection and most of the tracks just look like Forza4 HD with the exception of Sebring which just looks AMAZING!. I will be quite peeved if Turn 10 releases more tracks through micro transactions, I can't believe the fans here let them get away with releasing car packs on day one. What is up with that?

Even Hideo Kojima is starting to look like a greedy prick in my eyes releasing a tutorial stage of Phantom Pain at 19.99 and I use to be the hugest MGS fan.
The less we expect the lower the standard will become for what developers and publishers will push on us at full price $$$.

Back