Forza Horizon 3 Sound talk

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 133 comments
Australia
Australia
Everyone loves a good sounding car, and FH3 has a large variety of them!

Do people think there's an improvement over FH2 (and even FM6)?

Which cars sound the best? Which ones missed the mark?

Best turbo whistles, blow-offs and supercharger whines?

Have you come across any cars with slight loop clicks/glitches?

______

I think the Aventador sounds much closer to the real thing than it did in FH2, perhaps not from inside but certainly exhaust noises outside. The induction noise of the NSX-R hitting v-tec in the interior view is another gem.

Personally I am a bit miffed that the GT350R comes with basically a re-EQ'd cross plane crank noise from any of the generic V8s in the game. Turn 10 absolutely nailed the sound in FM6, its a shame Playground couldn't get hold of/didn't use it...

Ive been watching loads and loads of videos but the exhaust crackle seems to get a bit repetitive, can the volume of it be reduced but the engines maintained (own game but GPU ordered).

Kinda sucks that a race exhaust doesnt make more backfires like forza 6/FM2 and the supercharger are super quiet but other than that it sounds great.

Ive been watching loads and loads of videos but the exhaust crackle seems to get a bit repetitive, can the volume of it be reduced but the engines maintained (own game but GPU ordered).
I'm not exactly sure. There is a slider for Tires, Engine, as well as sound effects. I'm not sure if they'd put it under sound effects or the engine, really.

Kinda sucks that a race exhaust doesnt make more backfires like forza 6/FM2 and the supercharger are super quiet but other than that it sounds great.
More backfires? My car's already backfire a ton, with or without the exhaust to the point that it's annoying :lol:

I'm not exactly sure. There is a slider for Tires, Engine, as well as sound effects. I'm not sure if they'd put it under sound effects or the engine, really.

More backfires? My car's already backfire a ton, with or without the exhaust to the point that it's annoying :lol:

Ooooh, I can never get enough of those backfires and the overrun sounds.

Specialy on the... Alfa 8C, my pride and love, bought on the auction house for little as 50.000 Cr.

Right okay some know me on the forums for my crazy tactile immersion with transducers and Buttkicker type devices. I am a BIG fan of enjoying game audio. Just had a MAJOR fun session (only got to play game yesterday). I won some BMW M4 with big body kit, gees it sounds awesome. Not played enough yet or experienced that many cars although different cars can adjust the dynamics for some of the games effects.

What I would say is the audio design is done very well. The general audio samples used in most instances are good, stereo positioning works superb, be it scraping a fence, knocking down various objects, passing cars or splashing water. The effects all seem to use good dynamics which I just put to the test today. For those of you with Buttkicker or Tactile this is one brill game to use them with but........

In particular I would advise PC players that have a Simvibe Chassis Mode configuration to utilise this games audio for at least stereo tactile effects. Seriously guys you want more than one unit to appreciate the stereo tactile effects this game can produce. Its much more involving than just a single unit. Firstly the common problem with tactile/audio is that its excellent being able to turn the "radio" down or have it off, "tyre sounds" seem a bit too high for my liking, so I lower them but the only gripes I have is that the "exhaust" sound is not separate from the main engine. I just find the pops a bit too strong/similar on some cars and constantly happening. My other is that we cant control the volume for menus after races (those low bass booms for points/etc ).

Feel It
To paint a picture I have left/right Clark tactile units working each side of my seat, although these are backed up with 2x 1500 Watt Buttkicker units, which are also backed up with dual front/rear subwoofers. So all that stereo audio can be felt/heard with not only superb audible bass but very high energy bone conduction regards their low frequency, this felt directionally on the appropriate side. While it is NOT REALISTIC it is pure bliss for IMMERSION INTENSIFING. Landings from jumps, or crashing into side objects present a real added sensation, the revs of the engine come much more to life and my favourite is flying down a road at speed weaving in through cars. You can feel each "vammonsh, vammonsh, vammonsh" as you duck and dive on the appropriate side for left and right overtakes or oncoming cars.

For those that dont have such, consider getting even a basic cheap stereo amp, and two affordable tactile units, you wont regret it with this game, the added fun aspect it brings in stereo tactile is excellent.

Beautiful visuals, excellent audio, fun to play, once they iron out the issues it sure is a defining title not just in the Forza series but as a whole.

Last edited:
Just want to vent off on the fact the 2017 raptor sounds like a V8 now. That is beyond annoying. GT500 GTR also still sounds like a 6 cylinder.

But apart from that there's a lot to love. In fact pretty much all of it.

Ooooh, I can never get enough of those backfires and the overrun sounds.

Specialy on the... Alfa 8C, my pride and love, bought on the auction house for little as 50.000 Cr.

The Alfa 8C is my "go to" car for cruising. I just love the sound. I paid a bit more than you - 180,000 or so in the auction house - but it beats paying the full 300,000 price.

The Charger Hellcat is SUPER quiet. I have to turn the music halfway down or else I can't even hear it at all. Exhaust tuning doesn't seem to change this. I don't get it since the Challenger is at normal volume.

On that note the 6.2Hemi sounds like a older big block v8 than what they really do sound like. I wonder if they recycled the engine note from another car.

The Charger Hellcat is SUPER quiet. I have to turn the music halfway down or else I can't even hear it at all. Exhaust tuning doesn't seem to change this. I don't get it since the Challenger is at normal volume.

On that note the 6.2Hemi sounds like a older big block v8 than what they really do sound like. I wonder if they recycled the engine note from another car.

That's actually exactly how I felt about the real Charger Hellcat that showed up to one of our local car meets lol

The Lexus LFA's sounds are pretty spot-on. A little low volume but they captured the notes quite accurately. The LFA is one of my favorite supercars, mostly because of that V10 noise that screams like a V10 Formula One engine, and I'm glad they reproduced that in-game.

I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of cars with repeated samples though. At least three Mustangs, the Camaro Z28 and Chevy SS sound exactly the same. It's one hell of a V8 sound, but this doesn't do it for me. That rules out having more than one of these in my garage...

Buick GNX now has a lower pitched version of the new Ford GT instead of its own sound. Also, V8 sound on the 2017 Ford Raptor, V8 on the Jeep Renegade and L6 on the Hummer H1...

These are major letdowns. This is not PD we're talking about. These guys actually know what they are doing, so it's surprising that they mess up like this. Also considering how accurate this sounds are in FM6. I don't have faith that they will ever fix it.

Other than that, sounds in Forza are still the best in the gaming industry. Sounds are much more refined this time around. superchargers are silent unfortunately, but the turbos sound absolutely glorious.

Last edited:
Best sounding car I have thus car is the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor with the race exhaust on it.

Best sounding car for me this far is the Lamborghini Aventador SV. The thing screams in the high revs like some kind of old F1 car.:D

Everyone loves a good sounding car, and FH3 has a large variety of them!

Do people think there's an improvement over FH2 (and even FM6)?

Which cars sound the best? Which ones missed the mark?

Best turbo whistles, blow-offs and supercharger whines?

Have you come across any cars with slight loop clicks/glitches?

______

I think the Aventador sounds much closer to the real thing than it did in FH2, perhaps not from inside but certainly exhaust noises outside. The induction noise of the NSX-R hitting v-tec in the interior view is another gem.

Personally I am a bit miffed that the GT350R comes with basically a re-EQ'd cross plane crank noise from any of the generic V8s in the game. Turn 10 absolutely nailed the sound in FM6, its a shame Playground couldn't get hold of/didn't use it...

I was about to actually create a thread on "Anybody else feel some car sounds are just so-so?"

The longer I play the game, the more hits and misses I come across, though overall the cars do sounder louder, more aggressive, and for a change like their real-life versions.

However, they've taken a shortcut with some of the car's downshifting and off-throttle sounds:

The GT350, R10 S, M4, and a few others I can't recall... you lift off the throttle.. and it sounds like the car's stalling as you mostly hear road noise, rather than the exhaust rumble/sputter or whine of the engine. Then you downshift, and the engine very "lazily" comes to life only for a second before it sounds like its stalling again.

^^ The above is typical to the cars I mentioned and a few others I came across. Also not happy with the ZR1.. it's the same 'mechanical' sound from FM6.. fails to capture the ferocity and snarl of that exhaust. Supra sound got copy/pasted with the M4's sound.

The thing which I really don't like about the Forza games since 4, is that the car's do not change their character after exhaust and cam upgrades. You only hear higher revs along with modified supercharger or turbo sounds. Annoying!

And yes, they goofed the Charger Hellcat. There's no supercharger whine at all.

The Lexus LFA's sounds are pretty spot-on. A little low volume but they captured the notes quite accurately. The LFA is one of my favorite supercars, mostly because of that V10 noise that screams like a V10 Formula One engine, and I'm glad they reproduced that in-game.

They had it nailed pretty well in all previous Forzas on the X1.

I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of cars with repeated samples though. At least three Mustangs, the Camaro Z28 and Chevy SS sound exactly the same. It's one hell of a V8 sound, but this doesn't do it for me. That rules out having more than one of these in my garage...

Buick GNX now has a lower pitched version of the new Ford GT instead of its own sound. Also, V8 sound on the 2017 Ford Raptor, V8 on the Jeep Renegade and L6 on the Hummer H1...

These are major letdowns. This is not PD we're talking about. These guys actually know what they are doing, so it's surprising that they mess up like this. Also considering how accurate this sounds are in FM6. I don't have faith that they will ever fix it.

Other than that, sounds in Forza are still the best in the gaming industry. Sounds are much more refined this time around. superchargers are silent unfortunately, but the turbos sound absolutely glorious.

Makes me angry, I swear! They're very generic.. and even when you install Dom's Charger engine swap in the other American V8 muscle cars... it sounds more like a crop dusters turbo prop engine than a 1000+ HP supercharged Dodge charger sound - they had this nailed pretty well in the FH Fast & Furious game as well as H2. Don't know whey they keep taking steps back.

I get the feeling they don't really play their games.. just keep rolling em' out.

Best sounding car I have thus car is the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor with the race exhaust on it.

They goofed the sound on this one as it has a turbocharged V6, not V8.

Last edited:
The Supra sounds awful :(

I agree... It does sound like a L6, though which is okay. But there is no blow-off, and it's missing something that the 2JZ had in terms of sound. IT has some exhaust popping but no backfire whatsoever. The FM3 Supra and the F&F Supra from FM6 were the only Supras that sounded very close to the real thing.

But at the end I rather have this historic JDM car than a BMW with no history at all (besides, we have the E30, E36 and E92 which are real M3's). It's an OCD thing of mine... can't have two completely different cars sounding the same.

Right okay some know me on the forums for my crazy tactile immersion with transducers and Buttkicker type devices. I am a BIG fan of enjoying game audio. Just had a MAJOR fun session (only got to play game yesterday). I won some BMW M4 with big body kit, gees it sounds awesome. Not played enough yet or experienced that many cars although different cars can adjust the dynamics for some of the games effects.

What I would say is the audio design is done very well. The general audio samples used in most instances are good, stereo positioning works superb, be it scraping a fence, knocking down various objects, passing cars or splashing water. The effects all seem to use good dynamics which I just put to the test today. For those of you with Buttkicker or Tactile this is one brill game to use them with but........

In particular I would advise PC players that have a Simvibe Chassis Mode configuration to utilise this games audio for at least stereo tactile effects. Seriously guys you want more than one unit to appreciate the stereo tactile effects this game can produce. Its much more involving than just a single unit. Firstly the common problem with tactile/audio is that its excellent being able to turn the "radio" down or have it off, "tyre sounds" seem a bit too high for my liking, so I lower them but the only gripes I have is that the "exhaust" sound is not separate from the main engine. I just find the pops a bit too strong/similar on some cars and constantly happening. My other is that we cant control the volume for menus after races (those low bass booms for points/etc ).

Feel It
To paint a picture I have left/right Clark tactile units working each side of my seat, although these are backed up with 2x 1500 Watt Buttkicker units, which are also backed up with dual front/rear subwoofers. So all that stereo audio can be felt/heard with not only superb audible bass but very high energy bone conduction regards their low frequency, this felt directionally on the appropriate side. While it is NOT REALISTIC it is pure bliss for IMMERSION INTENSIFING. Landings from jumps, or crashing into side objects present a real added sensation, the revs of the engine come much more to life and my favourite is flying down a road at speed weaving in through cars. You can feel each "vammonsh, vammonsh, vammonsh" as you duck and dive on the appropriate side for left and right overtakes or oncoming cars.

For those that dont have such, consider getting even a basic cheap stereo amp, and two affordable tactile units, you wont regret it with this game, the added fun aspect it brings in stereo tactile is excellent.

Beautiful visuals, excellent audio, fun to play, once they iron out the issues it sure is a defining title not just in the Forza series but as a whole.
****ity ****! there's gona be a domestic nuclear war if I expand to more space for my forzas, let alone more noise. but you got me. how much space are we talking about? have any pics? and about $$$$, we talking hundrends or thousands (basic but satisfactory level stuff)?

****ity ****! there's gona be a domestic nuclear war if I expand to more space for my forzas, let alone more noise. but you got me. how much space are we talking about? have any pics? and about $$$$, we talking hundrends or thousands (basic but satisfactory level stuff)?

Plenty of posts about tactile hardware by others and myself in the hardware section. Just do a search for tactile or Buttkicker. Some people start off with affordable units for under $200

Feel It

Interesting insights there. While I don't have a surround amp or buttkickers, I've been gaming on this 8-speaker stereo amp setup all along. I immediately noticed how they've improved and/or redid some of the audio aspects in H3, though the cars need to sound right and just not go quiet on off-throttle like some of them do.

Other than that, pretty good design and really takes a set of beefy amp and speakers to appreciate the sound.

This is a good thread, I find some of the sounds to be too ...generic, others are pretty good. Some of the cars sound good at low speed and then start to lose it on acceleration. Did one of the sound people go to work for PD?

Back