Forza Horizon 4’s Graphics

• Thread starter nomad3422
  • 79 comments
H4 looks awesome :)

Same with H3... No need to improve... Compare the texture resolution and car detail with NFS Payback or The Crew 2 and you see Forza is miles better...

Last edited:
I was thinking the same it still has the FM7/FH3 'Forza' game look to the graphics engine.
2018-06-11_203905.jpg
Although the textures in 4k are amazing and come out sharp in photos once tweaked compared to the Crew2,NFS etc they still haven't mastered that 'realistic' lighting look yet while driving around like GT Sport (Willow springs at dawn etc)and now Gravel which has amazing dawn and daytime lighting on the new Colorado Rivers DLC.

Last edited:
I have the impression the lighting/shading/reflection is similar (or slightly improved) to that of FH3, but that was already stellar. What seems to be increased more over FH3 is the foliage, small objects, vegetation and detail of all that. At the opening scene of the trailer you see some highly detailed flowers, I don’t think FH3 had that kind of detail.

Some huge improvements to general lighting IMO. Forgive the compressed video screenshots, but here are a few highlights:

1. Dynamic headlight shadows (a first for Horizon)
upload_2018-6-11_11-40-21.png

2. Sun lens flare altered/reduced (FH3 had the huge lens flare with circular aberrations internally known as "DSLR_Dirty", this one appears to be "GoPro")
unknown.png

3. Vehicle light flares have a nice cinematic texture:
upload_2018-6-11_11-42-13.png

4. Reflection glow also has a nice little flare texture instead of just a blurry glow:
unknown.png

I'm wondering about that 60 fps option Xbox One X. I'm sure it must cut the graphics a bit for more frames. No miracles when there's no hardware.

Like the @TheAdmiester pointed out, with those improvements they took it to the next level.
FH3 was already the best looking racing game this gen(on pc). All they had to do was just improve the road relfections and add dynamic shadows to the headlights. Other than that it already looked amazing. The car model, shadows, draw distance, relfections, shaders, environment, crowd, water, texture, particles and lighting where top notch.

All gameplay
28860644758_851440f543_o.png

42016683374_6cf2165b6c_o.png

42734086431_d4479e95b1_o.png

40923758720_65bec34548_o.png

40923763100_c188d8b5e2_o.png

42734097681_55dcbc4492_o.png

28860665758_156f0b43cb_o.png

28860667528_29c61f6c2b_o.png

39649685640_6d05f81fbb_o.png

27587194178_abee98307c_o.png

27587191998_5a76377fa2_o.png

42016731994_ef91cd780b_o.png

42734119871_335d2bc2a6_o.png

I'm wondering about that 60 fps option Xbox One X. I'm sure it must cut the graphics a bit for more frames. No miracles when there's no hardware.
As time goes on, optimization gets better. Graphics is the forefront of these games, I doubt they'd cut that down.

The game looks gorgeous.

However, there is still this nagging bit of realism missing compared to GT Sport. It might be simply the art direction, and it doesn't bother me very much. But there is something about the quality of light in GT Sport that blows my mind.

The game looks gorgeous.

However, there is still this nagging bit of realism missing compared to GT Sport. It might be simply the art direction, and it doesn't bother me very much. But there is something about the quality of light in GT Sport that blows my mind.

I guess with Horizon being more action oriented it’s always going to have a slightly different tone to GT.

What do you think of the graphics?
Is it just me or graphic haven't improved much from FH3? (apart from the lighting)
It looks good enough to me. For example lighting is not everything, it's miles ahead of GTSport when it comes to interactions between the car and its environment. GT has the most realistic lighting with a game engine stuck in the 90's.

For an open-world racing game, 60fps presents a big challenge.

I suspect we’ll get a lower resolution on Xbox One X in order to hit that target, most likely 1080p but hopefully 1440p.

True, but you said graphics, not resolution.

Resolution is, usually, a part of a game's graphics options, is it not? Therefore, I consider it a part of graphics. A tone down in resolution is a tone down in graphics. It won't matter much, because I'm fine with either 60 or 30 fps, as long as they're smooth.

Resolution is, usually, a part of a game's graphics options, is it not? Therefore, I consider it a part of graphics. A tone down in resolution is a tone down in graphics. It won't matter much, because I'm fine with either 60 or 30 fps, as long as they're smooth.
I would always consider resolution a separate option, to be honest. A tone down in resolution, is just that, a tone down in resolution in my opinion. Forza 7 on a 4k tv compared to a 1080p looked almost identical, it's things like HDR that would change the "graphics" in my opinion.

I would always consider resolution a separate option, to be honest. A tone down in resolution, is just that, a tone down in resolution in my opinion. Forza 7 on a 4k tv compared to a 1080p looked almost identical, it's things like HDR that would change the "graphics" in my opinion.

Resolution is not as important as the quality of textures or in-game asset detail, but I would like to play at native 4K on Xbox One X. I think the console is powerful enough to do that, at least at 30 fps. At 60, I'm not sure.

Resolution is not as important as the quality of textures or in-game asset detail, but I would like to play at native 4K on Xbox One X. I think the console is powerful enough to do that, at least at 30 fps. At 60, I'm not sure.
I believe 4k was introduced into FH3 some time ago, and it seems to run flawlessly, but that was not an "Xbox one X enhanced game" I don't think, so you might be correct in thinking that. I'm sure, just like FM7, there's going to be updated assets in the form of a large patch, and that may vary well be what could hold it back.

I guess the problem for Playground is that while the second Horizon game debuted on a more powerful console than the first and the third game was able to take advantage of powerful PCs, the latest game has no new gaming hardware or display technology to be able to showcase.

I don't think they'd be able to squeeze a higher resolution than 1080p out of the X1X at 60fps.

Last edited:
The game looks gorgeous.

I think GT is going to remain king of that area for a long, long time. But, to be fair, they do seem to spend a lot of time perfecting that area as well. I think many devs are limited in terms of time/performance balance to achieve what PD has.

I think GT is going to remain king of that area for a long, long time. But, to be fair, they do seem to spend a lot of time perfecting that area as well. I think many devs are limited in terms of time/performance balance to achieve what PD has.
Yeah GTS lighting is amazing, but they had to make alot of sacrifices to reach that like in game car model, textures, texture filtering, shadows, draw distance, reflections, environment details and dynamic TOD and weather. Forza Horizon is open world with full dynamic TOD and weather. That makes it more incredible and mind blowing that they can pull this of. the reason i keep saying that FH is the best looking game is, every other game does 2 or 3 things really good will the other things are sub par or just bad. FH does "almost" everything good. Yes GTS has in most cases better lighting and Drivelcub the better weather, but when you compare the whole package. Forza does alot of things better then both games and isn't that far behind in the lighting and weather tech.

Back