Forza Horizon 4’s Graphics

• Thread starter nomad3422
  • 79 comments
I have just watched some videos of fh4 in HD and I take it back about the lighting the game does look great. Textures and lighting have improved. I also just played FH3+Forza7 on my Xbox one x after a little break after trying the crew2 and nfs payback and I forgot how good the detail is on the one x. I know I will pre order this game anyway.

P.s Great news that the little uk playground games studios are now going to be under Microsoft studios. They have done a great job making this franchise into one of the biggest MS sellers and I can see why Microsoft want them on board.

Last edited:
P.s Great news that the little uk playground games studios are now going to be under Microsoft studios. They have done a great job making this franchise into one of the biggest MS sellers and I can see why Microsoft want them on board.
I'm not sure. I would have liked to see them branch out to other platforms but I'm glad to see they're working on creating a second franchise after Forza which may have less to do with cars.

@UKMikey I felt that when I read Ninja Theory were also going to Microsoft/PC only after their brilliant cross platform Hellblade made on a limited budget. I'm fortunate enough to have invested in both 4k consoles but I do feel people miss out having these exclusives. On the other hand if they are only writing for one console they do seem to be better games i.e God of War/ GTS/ Gears of War4/ Forza etc

The roads are again too wide and stone walls are destructibles... It's ok for hypercars but for 90% of the car list, the roads are boring because they are wide, like an highway. The biggest con of FH3 was its map.

FH4 vs DC

94nqO90.jpg

kXDVTzS.jpg

avaZed4.jpg

7Q9nt3T.jpg

The roads are again too wide and stone walls are destructibles... It's ok for hypercars but for 90% of the car list, the roads are boring because they are wide, like an highway. The biggest con of FH3 was its map.

And? Half the reason Horizon 3's map sucked was because of it being flat. And I'm sure a lot of people are going to complain if the roads were realistically sized that it is impossible to have passing opportunities and that they crash too much.

FH4 vs DC

94nqO90.jpg

kXDVTzS.jpg

avaZed4.jpg

7Q9nt3T.jpg

1: You do realize the images chosen for Driveclub is for Canada, right? Not Scotland, which would have made the comparison somewhat make sense?
2: Driveclub doesn't have to contend with AI controlled traffic. So the compairson is already flawed.

I guess the problem for Playground is that while the second Horizon game debuted on a more powerful console than the first and the third game was able to take advantage of powerful PCs, the latest game has no new gaming hardware or display technology to be able to showcase.

I don't think they'd be able to squeeze a higher resolution than 1080p out of the X1X at 60fps.
It all depends. Available hardware is one thing, source code optimisations is another one.

Also, while on PC hardware there might not have been many changes, for the Horizon series this is the first game that is being developed while the Xbox One X is out, so it should have better X1X enhancements than those that have been patched into FH3 a while ago.

Visually FH3 was already stunning but FH4 seems to increase it a notch again.

The only thing that looked a bit ugly and low res in FH3 (IMHO) were the arms of the driver of you use cockpit view. I hope that gets improved a bit as well for FH4.
Edit - check out the arms and hands from the DC vs FH4 comparison 2 posts above me, the last 2 screenshots and that’s what I mean. It seems the low res arms are back in FH4.

And? Half the reason Horizon 3's map sucked was because of it being flat. And I'm sure a lot of people are going to complain if the roads were realistically sized that it is impossible to have passing opportunities and that they crash too much.
1: You do realize the images chosen for Driveclub is for Canada, right? Not Scotland, which would have made the comparison somewhat make sense?
2: Driveclub doesn't have to contend with AI controlled traffic. So the compairson is already flawed.
We're aware it's not a straight apples-to-apples comparison. It's still nice to have a look at how two different franchises look next to each other.

It all depends. Available hardware is one thing, source code optimisations is another one.

Also, while on PC hardware there might not have been many changes, for the Horizon series this is the first game that is being developed while the Xbox One X is out, so it should have better X1X enhancements than those that have been patched into FH3 a while ago.

Visually FH3 was already stunning but FH4 seems to increase it a notch again.

The only thing that looked a bit ugly and low res in FH3 (IMHO) were the arms of the driver of you use cockpit view. I hope that gets improved a bit as well for FH4.
Edit - check out the arms and hands from the DC vs FH4 comparison 2 posts above me, the last 2 screenshots and that’s what I mean. It seems the low res arms are back in FH4.
Not wanna sound racist but, the black man arms where pretty high quality compared to the white ones.
28883538848_66240e3f08_o.png

28883539928_411756aa48_o.png

41856760275_d55c795885_o.png

1. And?
2. No, that doesn't make the comparison flawed. Those are just parameters that you keep in mind when making the comparison.

Not wanna sound racist but, the black man arms where pretty high quality compared to the white ones.

Definitely not racist. I think the reason for it though is because the darker skin tone allows for the bright light to expose more detail, such as the normal mapped veins and pores, whereas lighter skin is slightly more reflective. Think of it like a bright coloured car versus a dark car - a black car in direct sunlight will show some nice clean reflections, whereas the white one will be less reflective looking and probably glow more in the light.

Yes, the road width does really matter, because the skill level required to keep a car on the straight and narrow is less, with difficulty only ramped up by higher speeds.

For tactile, lower powered cars, it makes them feel irrelevant and it only makes supercars feel one dimensional.

FH4 vs DC

94nqO90.jpg

kXDVTzS.jpg

avaZed4.jpg

7Q9nt3T.jpg

To be totally fair, the tracks in Canada were nightmarishly narrow, and the road picked for the comparison is the widest seen in the E3 demo, which is usually set on the widest roads available in game to start with. Although, yeah, we already know that Forza is never going to deliver roads with realistic sizes. We can just hope we won't get highway-wide country trails a la FH3. :lol:

Narrow roads in the UK bug me in real life, why on earth would I want them in.l an arcade action racing game?

Because out in the countryside is where real fun can be had. Which for a driving game, should be the aim surely?

Have they said whether or not the game played on a base Xbox One is 30 or 60 FPS?
It’s 30 on a regular One. X owners have the option to up it to 60 at the cost of lowered resolution (heard this on a stream by the youtuber Tomcat)

It’s 30 on a regular One. X owners have the option to up it to 60 at the cost of lowered resolution (heard this on a stream by the youtuber Tomcat)

Well, it's not really "lowered" compared to the regular One, you just can't have 4K and 60 FPS.

VXR
Yes, the road width does really matter, because the skill level required to keep a car on the straight and narrow is less, with difficulty only ramped up by higher speeds.

For tactile, lower powered cars, it makes them feel irrelevant and it only makes supercars feel one dimensional.
TC9000 said that there where tons of narrow roads in the build that they had a look behind closed doors.

Latest Official FH4 4K Photos released from past week or so. I'm eating my words here...It does look amazing :bowdown::drool:
fd2d6947-478f-4544-ae6e-7390474672f4.jpg

1efbd5c1-48b0-4177-a315-d36ca736fb8d.jpg

dd9f5de5-ce64-49c1-8393-1784ab146a50.jpg

29adc13c-2e6c-49c6-9a39-bcaecfd5a159.jpg

4de11c70-c185-4396-b11b-13b0ec5e9c77.jpg

edecbd5e-4a92-4811-8a84-0fdc6e4baae3.jpg

90bbac5c-2198-4ea6-81c6-2ab792f40b49.jpg

1c7b48c1-8d4e-4384-83bf-a598f506b897.jpg

901e2f31-8673-43a5-be28-e53b411b08ec.jpg

be8cfbb7-b819-4941-b4a8-fe4ad272f122.jpg

5060404d-03b8-4b4d-9ba7-579f35c18f7c.jpg

053e1b2d-946d-4106-aa02-80f8f817f938.jpg

b41a22af-9453-4f0d-896e-861e00e8d904.jpg

42eadba9-7ccb-4184-a645-65c251a55839.jpg

Same here. I was much of the idea that the graphics weren't vastly improved over Horizon 3 at first, but after seeing these screen caps and DigitalFoundry's demo analysis, I had to wipe the egg off my face.

I wonder if the fancy flare and diffusion effects applied to the cars lights in the screens will make it to the game?

Back