Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
Been playing for a few days now after getting it in the Steam sale and must admit I’m loving it, perfect for the Xbox controller as I’m keeping my dedicated sim rig for when I purchase a PS5, been looking for a pick up and play racer since the demise of my beloved Driveclub and this is scratching the itch..one question though, how come I’m not allowed to play online yet ?

one question though, how come I’m not allowed to play online yet ?
First you need to finish the prologue. You noticed that you need certain amount of experience to qualify for different seasons. Once you reach Spring you will be able to qualify for Horizon Live. Once in Horizon Live you will gain access to the online features.

First you need to finish the prologue. You noticed that you need certain amount of experience to qualify for different seasons. Once you reach Spring you will be able to qualify for Horizon Live. Once in Horizon Live you will gain access to the online features.

ahh thanks for the info :cheers:

Anyone see an issue with this capture from the final screen of this week's Trial?!

Attachments

• Forza Horizon 4 18_04_2021 18_57_07 (2).png
    Forza Horizon 4 18_04_2021 18_57_07 (2).png
    114 KB · Views: 50
The Jeep Agera was surprisingly good actually. And also, its driver knew what they were doing: from the lead, they held up the 2nd placed car (AI) letting me go from 3rd to 1st at the line, and tip the balance for the win. I didn't see the Jeep Mustang all race.

The weirdest thing was they were not even in all three events. They just showed up in the last round. In a previous effort, the lights went green, and I took off. No other car moved. I went from 10th to 1st immediately. Then about 3 seconds later, it disconnected me. Some proper weirdness going on.

That Trial bug happened to me too once, long time ago. The Trial was about to start but I was just stuck in map without the possibility to do anything. I couldn't even paused the game. After 10-15 minutes the Trial finally started but it was the last race and I couldn't change the car either.
It is a rare bug. Or it was rare.... because I heard others experience it lately. As a matter of fact there are a lot of bugs since the Steam launch. I just hope they will soon return to work normally in office because the game really needs some fixing.
The weird AI behavior prior disconnetion is 'normal', I guess.

I just hope they will soon return to work normally in office because the game really needs some fixing.

I wonder how much of a difference it would make by now, because I have the impression the FH4 team has shrunk to a minimum as of late. I don’t know for a fact, just a feeling based on the fact that lesser cars are now being added, way more recycling in seasonal playlists, more QA oversights after Steam launch, etc.

I really have this feeling that, with minimal support being put into FH4, PG are getting prepared for FH5 at this point. I know the game came out on Steam, though it might be the last hurray for the title before we move on?

This is how I imagine what's going on behind the scenes at PG.

I really have this feeling that, with minimal support being put into FH4, PG are getting prepared for FH5 at this point.

It’s very likely PG has been preparing another Forza game. Probably for a while too. PG is also developing some other game in an entirely different genre (forgot its name), so parts of FH4 staff may have allocated to that project as well.

I know the game came out on Steam, though it might be the last hurray for the title before we move on?

Personally I think they’ll continue to support FH4 with 2-3 cars per month on average for the remainder of this year. At least until Forza Motorsport comes out, which logically should come out before anything else Forza. Until then they have nothing to gain by not keeping FH4 alive, as new content keeps the monthly player count up. Microsoft likes to brag about player numbers whenever E3 rolls around, so it matters and FH4 is where most Forza players currently are.

Adding cars to FH4 may also help FM development, especially in terms of reviving FM4 content to a current-day standard. Clearly a pattern there if you look at cars they’ve added and potential future additions based on the reliable leaks. Putting cars into the FH4 retail build might assist in catching small bugs and similar before launching said cars in FM.

Last edited:
ahh thanks for the info :cheers:

I was looking up this up for a friend we were trying to get into the game. Your rank need to hit level 20.

Although restrictive, I like that they're making sure you don't go online completely broke and without cars. Check your Message center every time you play. The game randomly gave me a wide variety of cars in the first month or two of playing.

Last edited:
Any ideas what's causing this? It puts me into the car, and then immediately takes me back out of it. My controller works for the split second I'm in the car. It does the same whether my CSL Elite is attached or not. There are no keys stuck down on my keyboard.

So possibly 'stupid' question but if the Super 7 is showing me a Wheelspin reward for completing the playlist that means I've already unlocked this week's car prize?

Don't remember doing the Super 7 this week but I guess I must have done...

So possibly 'stupid' question but if the Super 7 is showing me a Wheelspin reward for completing the playlist that means I've already unlocked this week's car prize?

Don't remember doing the Super 7 this week but I guess I must have done...

It does, yeah. I don't know however if it keeps the Wheelspin prize from last week if you started a second run and completed one or more of the challenges before the top prize changed - you can always reset the 7 to be sure though.

Any ideas what's causing this? It puts me into the car, and then immediately takes me back out of it. My controller works for the split second I'm in the car. It does the same whether my CSL Elite is attached or not. There are no keys stuck down on my keyboard.

I've...never seen this before. You could try a restart (I'm sure you've done that already), you can try lowering all of the settings at the main menu, see if that gets you back into the game normally and step everything up and see if it happens again. Worst case scenario, you do a fresh re-install. It could be a memory leak...but I think they patched that issue a while ago. What GPU are you using? Are you using the latest drivers?

Something similar happens when I exit the pause menu using my controller when Windows is focused on another window. Does it still do it if you click the game to ensure Windows is focused on the game and try exiting the menu?

It does, yeah. I don't know however if it keeps the Wheelspin prize from last week if you started a second run and completed one or more of the challenges before the top prize changed - you can always reset the 7 to be sure though.

Thanks, concluded I've done it already as I have the Veneno in my garage twice.

I've...never seen this before. You could try a restart (I'm sure you've done that already), you can try lowering all of the settings at the main menu, see if that gets you back into the game normally and step everything up and see if it happens again. Worst case scenario, you do a fresh re-install. It could be a memory leak...but I think they patched that issue a while ago. What GPU are you using? Are you using the latest drivers?
Something similar happens when I exit the pause menu using my controller when Windows is focused on another window. Does it still do it if you click the game to ensure Windows is focused on the game and try exiting the menu?
I've restarted. Verified the files on Steam. Made sure it is the active window. It put me on Ultra settings to start with so I put that down to medium. I've got an RX580 and it updated not long ago.

Nothing seems to work.

Longer version. The only button I'm pressing is the continue button. (and the steering/pedals so you can see it is controlling it.)

What are these "unknown devices"? I removed them all but they've came back. I have no other controllers attached. (Attached devices are CSL Elite, Logitech mouse and keyboard.)
upload_2021-4-22_10-24-29.png

@daan that's a really weird one. Based on your longer video, you're some way from the Festival site, which means you must have had control for a while, then this happens. Is that right?

I've had this happen before, but only when first entering the simulation.

I have a CSL Elite, so I'll check my settings later and report back on Unknown devices.

@daan that's a really weird one. Based on your longer video, you're some way from the Festival site, which means you must have had control for a while, then this happens. Is that right?

I've had this happen before, but only when first entering the simulation.

I have a CSL Elite, so I'll check my settings later and report back on Unknown devices.
Nope, I've had no control at any point before this. The game loads, I get the menu on the bottom right with 5 or so items on it, then I get the introduction to Autumn, the camera swoops in on the back of the Senna to give me control, and pause.

Last edited:
It is now working. Started it up this afternoon and I got a message from Steam to link my MS account with it, and it then worked. It crashed when I got to the festival, but it started back up again and seems to be fine.

EDIT: Crashed again at end of first race. This is my first experience of Forza and it's 🤬

Last edited:
It is now working. Started it up this afternoon and I got a message from Steam to link my MS account with it, and it then worked. It crashed when I got to the festival, but it started back up again and seems to be fine.

EDIT: Crashed again at end of first race. This is my first experience of Forza and it's 🤬

I can definitely see how this would shape anyone's opinion for the negative, but this is...super weird. One suggestion I quickly saw was turn the Xbox controller on (while the wheel is still connected), press a button or move the thumbstick, and then turn it off. See if the wheel works normally after that.

Super 7...

Working theory according to reddit is that if you already have won that week's car from a previous week's Super 7, you will only be given a wheelspin and cant win it a second time.

That explains why I didnt have the Veneno showing last week and dont have the 917LH showing this week.

Makes me wonder if the other cars from the early weeks of Super 7 might come around again in future weeks, in particular THAT Hoonigan! 💡 Please...

This might be a long shot but I see you have a DS4 on your desk. Is it connected to the PC at all? FH4 doesn't play nice with DS4 v2s due to the way Windows handles the onboard sound output on the DS4. The game runs perfectly with my DS4 v1 but throws a hissy fit if I try using my v2.

I can definitely see how this would shape anyone's opinion for the negative, but this is...super weird. One suggestion I quickly saw was turn the Xbox controller on (while the wheel is still connected), press a button or move the thumbstick, and then turn it off. See if the wheel works normally after that.
I don't have an Xbox controller. The wheel was working though.

This might be a long shot but I see you have a DS4 on your desk. Is it connected to the PC at all? FH4 doesn't play nice with DS4 v2s due to the way Windows handles the onboard sound output on the DS4. The game runs perfectly with my DS4 v1 but throws a hissy fit if I try using my v2.
That DS4 is only on my PS4. I have another DS4 that I use on my PC that was not connected. My Logitech joystick was unplugged too.

I tried it again there and had to do the first race again. Last time it crashed as I crossed the finish line. Today, it waited until everyone had crossed the line and it was giving me my CR rewards when it crashed. It just leaves me with a static screen but the music was still playing.

I restarted it and decided to run the graphics benchmark. It had suggested Ultra when I installed , but I had lowered it to medium as per @Terronium-12's suggestion. Benchmark ran fine, but crashed at the end of it.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I restarted it and decided to run the graphics benchmark. It had suggested Ultra when I installed , but I had lowered it to medium as per @Terronium-12's suggestion. Benchmark ran fine, but crashed at the end of it.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

You're using the Steam version, huh? That may explain why you're having issues I've never seen before, but it doesn't explain why you're having them in the first place. You may have to use Event Viewer, search "ForzaHorizon4.exe" under Event Viewer (Local) > Windows Logs and hit Ctrl+F once there. See if you can find any (or all) crash reports and I'll see if I can help debunk this nonsense.

I just found this on the interwebs and there is a possibility that we will see FH5 at E3 this year! :D

According to a well-known Microsoft insider, the company will be bringing the big guns during its 2021 E3 Xbox press conference, including Forza Horizon 5, Starfield, and Halo Infinite.

In a Microsoft/Bethesda thread on the Resetera forums, Microsoft insider Klobrille might have revealed some interesting info about the company’s press conference during this year’s digital E3 showcase. According to the insider, not only will Halo Infinite and Age of Empires IV be shown off, but Bethesda’s Starfield and the next entry in the Forza Horizon series, Forza Horizon 5, are also said to make their appearances during the event.

Civilization VI April Update Rebalances Over Half of the Game’s Civs, Adds Dog Petting

While these 4 upcoming Xbox titles are expected to be shown off during Microsoft’s presser, this doesn’t mean that all of these will actually release later this year.

“Add Age of Empires IV and I’m confident this is their AAA quadruple punch this Summer, independent whether all these 4 actually make a release this year or not”, ‘Klobrille’ said while replying to another ResetEra user who mentioned the Halo/Starfield/FH5 trifecta.

In a follow-up post, the insider said that he also has an idea about Forza Horizon 5’s location, which won’t be Japan as previously thought. Unfortunately, he didn’t share this location just yet.

“I'm with Jeff Grubb on this one and do expect FH to show up this Summer”, he wrote. “I also might have an idea about the location, which is not Japan, but that info didn't went too well with FH4 the last time, so let's leave that to the team!”

Interesting stuff for sure and we can only hope that Microsoft will indeed be showing off the big Xbox guns during its presser.

The digital 2021 E3 event will take place from June 12th through June 15th. The exact showcase schedule has yet to be announced. Apart from Microsoft, Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Ubisoft, Take-Two, Square Enix, Warner Bros., and Koch Media will also take part.

Linky

I'm still crossing my fingers for a new Forza game this year. ^^

Last edited:
Back