Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
I don't think gameplay bugs are ignored, but I do think modelling errors are given low priority. I sent a ticket about 6 months back about the broken head/tail light reflectors textures and nothing has been fixed, in fact the mk1 Focus gained the issue. Its not game breaking but it does spoil photomode for a few cars.

Countach
'87 Trans Am
Golf R mk6
XKR-S
'09 Mini JCW
RX-8
Maserati Gran Turismo
'69 Camaro
Evo 10
F430 Scuderia
LFA
'03 Focus RS

66e48f22-8ddb-4453-b2ca-f8a62e2883da.jpg
0152af0b-97d9-497c-8f60-f580e1b62743.jpg
bfd23c59-a2dc-487c-9ba2-4dcc5fe6aedb.jpg

I sent a ticket about 6 months back about the broken head/tail light reflectors textures and nothing has been fixed
They won't fix it if it's not game braking. And I'm glade they don't. Imagine they have to fix every single minor issue with so many cars in game. You want lights fix, somebody sound fix, others might want the whole car to be replaced. And then there's no guarantee you will be satisfied with the results. And the most important thing. Where does that leads if they need to listen to every single request?

They won't fix it if it's not game braking. And I'm glade they don't. Imagine they have to fix every single minor issue with so many cars in game. You want lights fix, somebody sound fix, others might want the whole car to be replaced. And then there's no guarantee you will be satisfied with the results. And the most important thing. Where does that leads if they need to listen to every single request?
Is it really too much to ask for some consistency when it comes to car modelling quality? Anyway, I doubt that the devs working on car modelling are the same ones working on critical, game-breaking bugs.

Is it really too much to ask for some consistency when it comes to car modelling quality? Anyway, I doubt that the devs working on car modelling are the same ones working on critical, game-breaking bugs.
No, you can ask for it. That is why they have all the wishlists on official forum. But seriously are you expecting any devs to fulfill all the request from every single person? And also shouldn't the modeling department be already quite busy with the upcoming content? Is it really totally normal to expect additional work from them to fix anything from the content already released? Even the smallest thing? Preferably for free too?

No, you can ask for it. That is why they have all the wishlists on official forum. But seriously are you expecting any devs to fulfill all the request from every single person? And also shouldn't the modeling department be already quite busy with the upcoming content? Is it really totally normal to expect additional work from them to fix anything from the content already released? Even the smallest thing? Preferably for free too?

...or they could just get it right in the first place, and then they wouldn't have to worry about fixing anything..? :confused:

So I went out to do some more photography with the Turbo R, and I realized the exhaust pipes are rendered just fine. It looks like they render differently depending on if they're "in studio" (photographed while in a player house or the Foza Hub), or "in game" (photographed during game play.)

Also, I just can't leave this car alone. I tuned it to make it faster and more responsive, but then I realized I wasn't enjoying it as much as when it was stock, so I returned it back to stock.

Last edited:
It is a part of the LOD models for the cars. I have noticed that the exhaust pipe issue doesn't happen on PC with the "World Car Detail" setting on Extreme. Which is the same LOD model Xbox uses in Photomode.

...or they could just get it right in the first place, and then they wouldn't have to worry about fixing anything..? :confused:
Or they can be humans and make mistakes? :confused:

I'm not excusing the issue, as I for one use photomode so damn much that these issues actually affect me too, but it's a bit unreasonable to pretend that there would be absolutely no mistakes ever. I don't know one game that has came out the box absolutely perfect in every detail.

I think that since it's not gamebreaking it just isn't a priority at this point in the game's life. Hopefully they fix it for Horizon 5 though.

Obvious things are obvious. 👍
Also people must realize that there are procedures to follow if one is expecting results. You can't expect problems like tail lights to be fixed just by sending a ticket. Or car being added just by sending a tweet.

Or they can be humans and make mistakes? :confused:

I'm not excusing the issue, as I for one use photomode so damn much that these issues actually affect me too, but it's a bit unreasonable to pretend that there would be absolutely no mistakes ever. I don't know one game that has came out the box absolutely perfect in every detail.

Of course we're all human and make mistakes. My point is, either have a better procedure to catch and correct mistakes before you release something, or it is reasonable to ask that those mistakes be fixed. If you're using the general public as bug testers then perhaps you should listen to them.

Of course we're all human and make mistakes. My point is, either have a better procedure to catch and correct mistakes before you release something, or it is reasonable to ask that those mistakes be fixed. If you're using the general public as bug testers then perhaps you should listen to them.
The procedure doesn't exactly seem terrible if a handful out of 800 vehicles have issues. So yeah, it does come off as slightly unreasonable to make such a response. It's not unreasonable to ask to get it fixed, but in the grand scheme of things its an absolute minor problem. I'd much rather they put a lot more focus on, well, practically anything else. This is the absolute bottom of the barrel, I feel. We all want perfection, I get it, but things happen - this is in no way detrimental, even though it affects me too.

I've started creating point to point races that end at a fence or gate that have inaccessible areas behind them. Create the race, save it and run it. After the race, your car will be on the other side of the fence or gate and you are now free to explore the previously inaccessible area. For example:

1972 Reliant Supervan III in an inaccessible side street in Edinburgh.

1991 Bentley Turbo R at George Heriot's School in Edinburgh.

1991 Bentley Turbo R on Calton Hill with the Nelson Monument and National Monument of Scotland in the background.

That last picture was the closest I could get with the car (any closer and the car falls through the map). This is the closest I could get with just the camera.

1963 Volkwagen Type 2 De Luxe Forza Edition painted like the Rainbooms' tour bus at the Horizon Festival.

1963 Volkswagen Type 2 De Luxe Forza Edition painted like the Dazzling's tour bus at the Horizon Festival.

I plan on doing a lot more of these. The biggest problems are either the ground runs out and the car drops through the map, or the world goes almost entirely black and you can't see where you are. The good news is if you go into photomode, you can see again. Be careful with the photomode camera, though. If you move the camera from the inaccessible part of the map back to the game area, you can't go back in. You have to exit photomode and start over.

Last edited:
The procedure doesn't exactly seem terrible if a handful out of 800 vehicles have issues. So yeah, it does come off as slightly unreasonable to make such a response. It's not unreasonable to ask to get it fixed, but in the grand scheme of things its an absolute minor problem. I'd much rather they put a lot more focus on, well, practically anything else. This is the absolute bottom of the barrel, I feel. We all want perfection, I get it, but things happen - this is in no way detrimental, even though it affects me too.

This is a procedural issue though. The testing scripts are clearly lacking when something like the broken exhaust textures continue to appear on new models.

I used to do regular regression testing for a large website at my previous job so I understand that mistakes can be made but if something so obvious and easily found like this slipped through into a production build everyone would get a reaming from the head of software development.

This is a procedural issue though. The testing scripts are clearly lacking when something like the broken exhaust textures continue to appear on new models.

I used to do regular regression testing for a large website at my previous job so I understand that mistakes can be made but if something so obvious and easily found like this slipped through into a production build everyone would get a reaming from the head of software development.
On some new models*. Or is this something that is happening to every single car that gets released?

One thing I'm wondering is how extensive is the QC for out-sourced modeling. As far as I can tell though, most any game has extremely similar issues with modeling errors as well, so it seems like a widespread issue, with the games in this genre at least. It would seem all these major games aren't following the same process your employer did, maybe you should recommend them to these developers. :lol:

I've started doing a thing where I create point to point races that end at a fence or gate that have inaccessible areas behind them. Create the race, save it and run it. After the race, your car will be on the other side of the fence or gate and you are now free to explore the previously inaccessible area. For example:

1972 Reliant Supervan III in an inaccessible side street in Edinburgh.

1991 Bentley Turbo R at George Heriot's School in Edinburgh.

1991 Bentley Turbo R on Calton Hill with the Nelson Monument and National Monument of Scotland in the background.

That last picture was the closest I could get with the car (any closer and the car falls through the map). This is the closest I could get with just the camera.

1963 Volkwagen Type 2 De Luxe Forza Edition painted like the Rainbooms' tour bus at the Horizon Festival.

1963 Volkswagen Type 2 De Luxe Forza Edition painted like the Dazzling's tour bus at the Horizon Festival.

I plan on doing a lot more of these. The biggest problems are either there is no ground and the car just drops through the map, or the map goes almost entirely black and you can't see where you are. The good news is you can go into photomode and you can see again. Be careful with the photomode camera, though. If you move the camera from the inaccessible part of the map back to the game area, you can't go back in. You have to exit photomode and start over.

Great shots. Is it possible to get to those bridges on the North part of the map? I really wish they expanded the map North, those bridges need to be driven on.

It would seem all these major games aren't following the same process your employer did, maybe you should recommend them to these developers. :lol:

Somehow I don't see one of the largest real estate brands in the southern hemisphere getting into QC and testing for games. :lol:

Great shots. Is it possible to get to those bridges on the North part of the map? I really wish they expanded the map North, those bridges need to be driven on.
So far, no. The problem is the surface you can drive on only extends a short way outside the actual road. Go 50 feet from the road and the ground runs out and your car drops off the map. Those bridges are too far away. Tonight and I am going to try a few different things to see how close I can get. Hopefully I can get some clear shots.

Last edited:
Doing my time trial series and The Bone Shaker is just not useable in Rivals. Yay. The Bone Shaker and Track-Tor are the two that aren't available in rivals right??

Doing my time trial series and The Bone Shaker is just not useable in Rivals. Yay. The Bone Shaker and Track-Tor are the two that aren't available in rivals right??

Correct. They've also been banned from any other form online racing, I believe. The Track-Tor in B class especially was just stupid fast before they banned it, rendering anything else completely useless.

I got my I-Pace. The color selections are everything I hate about modern car colors. There's an apologetic red, an inoffensive blue, black, white, and 15 different shades of gray inbetween. Ugh. Does no one like colors any more? And so many manufacturers have exactly the same selection of colors.

Anyway, here it is.

2018 Jaguar I-Pace

No I-Pace yet, because this season seems calculated to drive me out of my mind: a speed zone I'm not great at, a stunt jump I'm really not great at, a street race involving the hardest-to-control cars in the game, another street race involving SUVs that doesn't even go off-road, an S2 Extreme Track Toys series that includes the most irritating technical circuit in the game (and pitted my handling-tuned X-Bow GT4 against a bunch of Formula Drift cars), and the 74th permutation of that Halo tie-in that can hoo-rah the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] back to its own franchise for all I care. I managed to complete all of these except the Track Toys and the Halo Showcase so far, but it wasn't exactly good times.

If you have the Lego Expansion, the Lego Senna or Lego F40 makes the S2 class hypercar and track toy events a lot easier.
While these are paid expansions and you may not like it because the Lego cars all have strange looks...

The I-Pace is the first electric road car I’ve driven in any game that actually feels optimized for sporty driving. Handling is refreshingly on point.

Not to imply that the Porsche Taycan in GT Sport is bad, but this Jaguar feels more focused to me. I can see why it has won some awards, and I wasn’t really expecting to enjoy it.

I must say that the I-Pace is a pretty good off road. But than again I hate electric. I need some engine sounds. Even if they are bad or recycled. Even a vacuum cleaner sound is better than no sound...

Back