Forza Horizon 4: General Pre-Release News & Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,945 comments

That opening race from the demo looks almost exactly the same as the E3 demo from FH3. :) I guess right at the start you can choose from 4 vehicles again, the same narrator is back, the UI looks very similar to FH3 (I don't think there is even a difference), except now they switch between 4 vehicles because of the 4 seasons. Nevertheless, it looks like great fun, can't wait for September 28th!

The landscape graphics and lighting look absolutely gorgeous. Ooh and love the paintjob on that Ford Focus RS RX. :)

Here's what I wrote about FH4 on August 20th 2017:

I'd like to see a UK-based game incorporating the things one would expect from this place. The countrysides, rural and coastal villages, highlands and a couple of cities inspired by some of the places up north. Forza also has good reason to dig a bit deeper into the UK automotive history and mimic some of those highly regarded driving roads. Interesting weather scenarios too.

Thank you Playground Games for making the exact game I asked for! 👍

Hopefully we're able to choose the seasons in private lobbies. Also, have they mentioned anything about keeping co-op play from Horizon 3, or has that gone the way of the dodo with regards to the new open world system?
6 Player Co-Op

Shared Worlds can have up to 72 players.

Drivers who don’t know you (not on Friends List) will be ghosted if they attempt to make contact.

I think the premise is growing on me. I wanted to Japan because it would force them to make better driving roads (even though I don't really care for it as a location), but there's just something about the architecture, the changing of the seasons, and the scenery in the trailer which is invigorating. Though Playground is very good at selecting spots of the map for their trailers (good ol' marketing trickery), we won't know till October whether it's good or not. The ground deformation looks awesome, and they've already shown that the Morgan 3 Wheeler is back. I worry about my dear Alpine GTA, however. And I doubt they'll bring back the Clio V6 which despite the terrible understeer, I still like. Can't wait to drive that TVR Speed 12 too.

6 Player Co-Op

Shared Worlds can have up to 72 players.

Drivers who don’t know you (not on Friends List) will be ghosted if they attempt to make contact.

I wonder if the 72 Player servers will be instanced, so you'll only ever see 12 players on screen.

Also, will be interesting to see what free-roam options we will have. I'm all down for Synchronized Seasons across online modes, but it be annoying if we couldn't choose what season it was in say online free-roam, so we're basically locked to whatever season is in for that week. Hopefully we can choose the season for our blueprints and custom race creations too :)

Dunno if anyone has pointed this out already, but some of the roads are looking nice and narrow. Right at the start of the IGN gameplay you can see this road behind some barriers which is much more narrow than the main one:
upload_2018-6-11_10-21-51.png

And before the IGN banner covers the map you can see that it's a nice winding hairpin road:
upload_2018-6-11_10-23-6.png

The more I watch that announcement trailer the more hyped I get for this game, incredibly likely this will be my GOTY. The Crew 2 is the only thing that even comes close and even then FH4 is Miles ahead of it in almost every way.

Based on what we know so far, I still think The Crew 2 has the edge on vehicle variety, open world detail, engine sounds (debatable), car customisation and post-launch content.

I don't doubt Forza could be the better overall package, but TC2 is the first credible competitor Horizon has had this generation and that pushed Playground Games to do more than a just re-skin of the last entry with more cars. 👍

The more I watch that announcement trailer the more hyped I get for this game, incredibly likely this will be my GOTY. The Crew 2 is the only thing that even comes close and even then FH4 is Miles ahead of it in almost every way.

View attachment 742700
I'm sure FH4 would be great with aircraft, boats and bikes. But for now I would see them as 2 different games I would think I'd enjoy

Shame that the car count is so low, Forza 7 is almost at 800, and H4 is only 450...
Horizon drops most of the proper racecars from the line-up. Which is a shame as I'd love to drive many of the racecars around UK roads.

Oh boy, when do the gun running updates start? /s

Should also mention that I really, REALLY hope that Playground has made an attempt to at least somewhat start the process of overhauling the livery system. GT Sport has pretty much clowned Forza Horizon 3 and Forza 7 with the fact that you can now upload .svg files and make the process so much easier, surely PG or T10 have no excuses in getting this pretty big feature a major overhaul.

I doubt it. Doing anything too major would probably preclude people from carrying over their old designs or layer groups (something PD didn't have to worry about at all). I don't expect a major change until the generation switch.

Besides, it's a single feature: the actual in-game livery editor is missing quite a lot of features that the Forza one has. But I suppose hyperbole is the default approach...

I doubt it. Doing anything too major would probably preclude people from carrying over their old designs or layer groups (something PD didn't have to worry about at all). I don't expect a major change until the generation switch.
The same logic applied to the transferable car tunes is my theory as to why they haven't fixed the bad track widths on some cars, yet their Forza Edition equivalents (such as the normal and HE Supra in FH3) tend to have it just right.

Can we take a moment to appreciate there’s a Formula Drift pack? Is this a new partnership? Hadn’t heard anything about them tying up before. Perhaps a hint of things to come for Forza Motorsport.

Shame that the car count is so low, Forza 7 is almost at 800, and H4 is only 450...

Yes, +450 could actually be 470 - maybe more, maybe less. At least Forza press material most likely wouldn't say nearly 500 cars if that was the case.

Doesn't FM7 have somewhere around 300 race cars? I know that FH3 had a small car pack dedicated to GT3 and GTE cars, but I think it's safe to say that the greater majority of tarmac-based race cars never stood the chance of being included in FH4.

While I sincerely hope that Toyota and Lexus will return, nearly 20 cars from those two manufacturers may very well not make make the transition from FH3. Regardless, fingers crossed that the final car list will be rather close to 500 cars and include the best cars from FM7 that would make sense in FH4. Well, "the best" is subjective but I mean cars that are hard to argue against.

One of my biggest gripes with the FH3 car roster was how some perfectly qualified cars from FM6 weren't included, such as the Alfa Romeo SZ, BMW 850 CSi and Mitsubishi GTO. I'm afraid this could be the case again, but I hope they listened and chose wisely.

Yes, +450 could actually be 470 - maybe more, maybe less. At least Forza press material most likely wouldn't say nearly 500 cars if that was the case.

Doesn't FM7 have somewhere around 300-400 race cars? I know that FH3 had a small car pack dedicated to GT3 and GTE cars, but I think it's safe to say that the greater majority of tarmac-based race cars never stood the chance of being included in FH4.

While I sincerely hope that Toyota and Lexus will return, nearly 20 cars from those two manufacturers may very well not make make the transition from FH3. Regardless, fingers crossed that the final car list will be rather close to 500 cars and include the best cars from FM7 that would make sense in FH4. Well, "the best" is subjective but I mean cars that are hard to argue against.

One of my biggest gripes with the FH3 car roster was how some perfectly qualified cars from FM6 weren't included, such as the Alfa Romeo SZ, BMW 850 CSi and Mitsubishi GTO. I'm afraid this could be the case again, but I hope they listened and chose wisely.
And European cars from FH2 like the Abarth Punto and Alfa Roadster should return.

I'm guessing many of the American or Australian cars (particularly classics) that were not sold in the UK will be cut from the car list. With that said, most variants of cars with a huge following like Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs will probably stay.

The James Bond Aston Martin DB5 that was found in Forza Motorsport 7 game files recently, I suspect we’ll get that here as part of events where you become a stunt driver. Could also be tied to the properties you purchase as one of the news items mentioned getting a taxi for owning a taxi business.

The James Bond Aston Martin DB5 that was found in Forza Motorsport 7 game files recently, I suspect we’ll get that here as part of events where you become a stunt driver. Could also be tied to the properties you purchase as one of the news items mentioned getting a taxi for owning a taxi business.
You reckon these stunts and other events will replace barn finds?

I hope they don't get rid of barn finds, it's an integral part of the Horizon feel and experience. I do wish they tone them down or made them more special, though. FH3 basically threw barn finds at you every way you looked.

I know I won’t be doing the treasure map again. I bought it in FH3 in order to find all the boards and it completely ruined the barn finds for me.

Latest Posts

Back