Forza Horizon 5 Donut Media DLC Coming Soon

• Thread starter Famine
  • 69 comments
This stuff baffles me. Who enioys it?

I haven't seen a single positive message about any of the weird dudebro speech or themes from any game since the Dirt games started doing it way back when. From Dirt 2/3 (and especially 5..), to The Crew 2 - everyone I have ever spoken to about the games hates this sort of thing. The best I've heard is "I didn't mind it, it was easy to ignore".

I was 12 when Dirt 3 released. And we all hated it then, so who on earth is the target audience enjoying this stuff for games to still be chasing them 10 years later?

I haven't seen a single positive message about any of the weird dudebro speech or themes from any game since the Dirt games started doing it way back when. From Dirt 2/3 (and especially 5..), to The Crew 2 - everyone I have ever spoken to about the games hates this sort of thing. The best I've heard is "I didn't mind it, it was easy to ignore".

I was 12 when Dirt 3 released. And we all hated it then, so who on earth is the target audience enjoying this stuff for games to still be chasing them 10 years later?
I think there's a lot of Horizon players who aren't really into cars, or whose exposure to cars is through extremely entry-level media groups like Donut, Hoonigan, Top Gear, etc.

Meanwhile I'm over here smiling warmly at the thought of a Victory by Design themed DLC pack.

GT Planet article
If so, that would consist of around six additional story missions, looking at the different Donut Media cars, with voice-over commentary from the Donut team — though we’re not quite sure why Playground Games would need to scan their faces for that…

I may have a theory about this. If this is indeed a 6-part Horizon Story Let's assume this is around the same length as FH4 Top Gear, the fact that six five people (James, Nolan, Zach Jobe, Jeremiah, Justin) have had their faces scanned might not be a coincidence.

It's a dumb theory but what if there's simply one Donut Media character per day of a six-day five-day story, and like in the other Horizon Stories, their models show up on the side in the intro and ride with you in the car? Maybe if they feel fancy we might have short cutscenes introducing each story or situation as well (so the models and their faces have more screen time), but the barest minimum they'd need face scans for is to at least have the Donut Media people featured in the Story riding on the passenger seat and speak to the player character, even if you aren't likely to see them for more than a few seconds.

Of course, this is just me spitballing here. I don't actually know for sure.

Edited because my eyes did not function correctly.

Last edited:
Oh, there's me reading a comma when there wasn't one. Oops, sorry.

In that case, let me edit my theory and propose a five-day Horizon Story featuring five people. :D
Well, from what I can tell, there's six cars: Hi 350Z, Low 350Z, Hi Tacoma, Low Tacoma, Money Pit E36, Money Pit NA.

Six chapters would make sense (as would seven - six and a "finale"), and is about the average number in a Story.

I checked the channel out this afternoon out of curiosity as I don't really know them more than just in passing, and... yeah this isn't my cup of tea either. The extent of my Car YouTube knowledge stops at Doug DeMuro, Regular Car Reviews, and Jimmy Broadbent (if you could count him as such).
I will probably just do this once for the unlocks and forget all about it as soon as possible.

Well, from what I can tell, there's six cars: Hi 350Z, Low 350Z, Hi Tacoma, Low Tacoma, Money Pit E36, Money Pit NA.

Six chapters would make sense (as would seven - six and a "finale"), and is about the average number in a Story.

Fair enough! Hopefully it's linear, without branching paths as there were in some stories. If for no other reason than I'd like to complete this all at once...

I need to see what this money pit E36 looks like, because in the 323ti's continued absence, one lone M3 doesn't satiate my love for that gen.

Edit: Oh my, it's a 4-door! 😍

Last edited:
Well, it can't possibly be worse than their Dirt 5 inclusion, largely because the people talking will actually be in the game :lol:. I personally really didn't enjoy the disjointed "podcast" method that Codies went with to convey progression.

Still, having Donut join in to Forza Horizon is pretty neat. I don't regularly watch their channel, but from the bits I have watched, there is an adequate mix between "cringe," over-the-top content and more in-depth content with their "Up to Speed" series (though even those videos do still retain the Donut Media "style," which might not be everyone's cup of tea). Plus, much like Hoonigan, it's a big name for younger, more media-obssesed car enthusiasts, which'll surely bring in more interest into Forza.

I don't see how this could be an expansion. A WHOLE expansion for this? Give me a break... This sounds more in line with the Top Gear pack from FH4, and if it's that, than that's more than fine by me.

As for this DLC, I don't see the big deal. At least it won't be anything like Dirt 5 which died freakin' quick. Plus these guys will actually be modeled in FH5 unlike that game, meaning there will be some sort of involvement with a Horizon Story, which sense.

Edit: I'm not the biggest fan of DM because don't watch their stuff, but I did saw a few vids years ago. But I'm willing to give them a chance and see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Their Tacoma overland builds are OK, but Forza doesn't simulate the stuff well enough for them to really matter. I mean I'm not sure how they're going to simulate one truck with an e-locker and the other with an air locker. Also, they're both first gen Tacos with different parts bolted to them, so it's in essence the same vehicle. It would've been easier just to allow the various parts to be available in the body shop.

A MotorTrend pack would've been better if they wanted to do some outlandish stuff, especially with Roadkill and Dirt Everyday.

I tried to listen to the whole video, but these are the bro-iest bros that ever broed. I hate bros. I'll do the missions and then forget this ever existed.
They're so cringy. James Pumphrey looks like a cheap counteirfeit copy of Guy Fieri without charisma.

I've been dying for a proper non-M 4-door E36 as it's always been my dream to own one. But now they give us some YouTuber's joke trash build instead. Even if it's a professional built car by that hoonigan thing, hotwheels, drift, or whatever, it is not my personal idea of what makes a good car.

Don't know how to feel about this. I hope the next major expansion is something more centered towards the purist side of car culture.

Yeah, another variant car addition. how many of the newly added models in FH5 are variants? Some of them were my favorite models, but still too many. It's time to stop adding variant cars.

I'm however looking forward to some. Because it looks like Tacoma will be added. I love the classic Tacoma more than the newer Tacomas that are currently in the game.
It would be great if they could put back the custom parts that are in the way and restore the stock look, but oh well, let's not hold our breath there.

Also, perhaps this "DLC" will not be an expansion but a Horizon Story that will be added in a series update.
I'm looking forward to this update, as most of the event updates in FH5 were time limited and not many updates added permanent events to the base game.

I like their videos and they have nearly 7 million subscribers on YouTube. Makes sense for a Forza partnership.

It just sounds like free story content. The electric mustang drift story took like me 15 minutes.

That's so true. I can't stand when it's like that. Ok maybe have one dude bro, but it's just so cringy and makes me think that they think I'm stupid. I downloaded the newest Dirt game from ps plus back when it was that months game. I couldn't get past the presentation of the game. I thought maybe I'm just getting old then had some deep thought before my 3pm nap. Lol

I hope this isn't the only "automotive youtuber" collab they do. They could do other popular ones too like Throttle house, Doug, Chris Harris, Jason Camissa etc. with their personal cars and/or personal favourite cars.

It would be a nice time capsule of sorts (like autovista in FM4) for when fh5 reaches 'underrated' status among core fans in 4 or 5 years time.

Adding cars via stories like this is great because they can add some backstory to them and it doesn't need to be cycled back via the festival playlist.

Back