Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 17,301 comments
The reviews neglected to mention the lack of innovation of this title, nor the stripped down car roster compared to the last iteration, also the lack of proper visually different Seasons, with gameplay effects too. I can't tell one Season from the next in this game.

Much like Forza Motorsport 7, a lazy entry into the series.
I expected my car too be getting buffeted about going through the storm zone,, sadly no effects added

What's with the speed trap speed info disappearing so fast you rarely catch how fast you was going. Thought notification timeout speed setting affected it but no. edit think it's just a drag speed trap issue, blink and you miss it.

Last edited:
I think the swaps are too restrictive honestly. We need way more options available for all the cars.

Yeah, there's basically a handful of generic templates applied to all cars, with very few swaps that seem like they're hand-picked to be interesting (e.g. the VR6 in the Scirocco). I spent ages modding tons of car-specific swaps into FM4 and FH1, everything from a Z18 and KA24DE for the Datsun 510 up to an '04 Cobra Modular and a SOHC 427 FE for the Ford Country Squire, and while it took a long time to research and implement it showed that it's possible to do so, along with transmission and rear end swaps.

Unfortunately the list of engine swaps is another thing that's not a selling point for the game, and so doesn't get revised or expanded too much game to game, while the PC versions are locked down to prevent even offline modding. The list of generic swaps was expanded slightly for FH5 though, so maybe in another few games we'll have a Ford engine to put in the '40 Ford.

My one big complaint about mechanical upgrades are the transmissions. To get full gear ratio customization, you often have to go all the way up to a seven-speed transmission or greater. Like for the '32 Ford which comes with a three-speed as standard, a common hot rod upgrade was a four-speed. I'd love to do that with mine, but the only options are seven speeds or more. That's it. Putting in a fully adjustable four-, five-, or six-speed transmission just isn't possible for most cars.

Last edited:
Engine swaps can be great fun on some cars, but many are not fun due to lazy options.

Land Cruiser for example is a fun example. You need diesel engine? OK. You can even get the familiar 7.2 Racing V8, or if you're a Toyota guy, you can get a Formula Drift 2JZ.

So what about the hot hatch?
Only 1.6 Rally.
We want to give supercars better performance.
Lambo V12, Ferrari Hybrid, Ferrari Racing V12, you're in luck if you have one of these three.
I want to put Rotary in my MX-5. Only R26B is available, not 13B. ...Why?

Lately I've liked doing unrealistic tire swaps. The McLaren GT with offroad tires and A class is fun for the :24 Tour race and the Ram with drag tires in any class is fun.

I started playing Forza Motorsport on the original xbox, but just recently had installed Forza 5 Horizon like last month.
I was excited to tune new diesel engine swaps, however,
I began building them so great, they took the goddamn parts out of the ****ing game.
They interview and create races for tournament winners, but never would they hunt for an engineer?

**** Forza Motorsport.
They're just some cuckold fad now.

My one big complaint about mechanical upgrades are the transmissions. To get full gear ratio customization, you often have to go all the way up to a seven-speed transmission or greater. Like for the '32 Ford which comes with a three-speed as standard, a common hot rod upgrade was a four-speed. I'd love to do that with mine, but the only options are seven speeds or more. That's it. Putting in a fully adjustable four-, five-, or six-speed transmission just isn't possible for most cars.

Yeah, when it was announced that PG were adding race transmissions with different numbers of gears, I hoped it was stock, stock +1, stock +2, etc, but it's just 6-10 in everything. Even if you just want to tweak the final drive ratio, you get a made-up 5-speed instead of the stock ratios.

I have so many cars with an unused 6th and sometimes 5th gear, because adjusting the ratios requires at least 6. I wanted a fairly authentic 4x4-converted F100 to drive around the dunes, so ended up running the ratios for a 3-speed manual with 2-speed overdrive, just to make 6. It contributes to the 'generic LS-powered box' problem even more, because I end up with T56 or 6L80 ratios behind all of them too, instead of being able to run a TKO or something for variety.

I personally would redesign the transmission upgrades so that instead of going stock, fictional gearing, fictional gearing with adjustable final drive, and 6-speed+ race box, the first upgrade would be stock with a better final drive ratio if applicable (e.g. a longer 3.43 gear in the Dart Super Stock, or a shorter ratio in the modern Z28), second would have an adjustable final drive, then third would be stock but fully adjustable, followed by adjustable racing sequentials up to at least 6 gears.

Of course, if I was let loose on upgrade design I'd also be removing a lot of the AWD swaps, increasing the power cap on old cars like the R33 GT-R to match new or reimplemented stuff like the Supra or the crazy 800hp+ A45 AMG, going back to the FM1 design of having big power turbos be quite laggy without supporting upgrades, and so on...

I helped turn10 to solve the musclecar-missile problem back in Motorsport 4 by pointing out this. Give the cars an open adjustable
rearend gear-ratio like they (kind of) have IRL.

Another side of this; old US V8`s should appear as 3-speed if driven with automatic gearboxes and 4-speed when manuel shifting
is used. Like in real life. Go Hurst!

Last edited:
It can be finicky, but after a while it becomes second nature. :)

Hell, I clutch kick into drifts or just to get the wheels spinning almost subconsciously at this point. :lol:

Admittedly I run my clutch on the LB button and E-Brake on the A button, so i’m grabbing the E-Brake with my right hand and clutching in with my left hand.

Couple that with modulating the brakes as I don’t run ABS and blipping the throttle on the downshifts to keep things stable, I can understand why some don’t bother with manual with clutch.
I’m a weirdo so I always match the shift type to whether or not the car is a manual/automatic/DCT lol.
The reviews neglected to mention the lack of innovation of this title, nor the stripped down car roster compared to the last iteration, also the lack of proper visually different Seasons, with gameplay effects too. I can't tell one Season from the next in this game.

Much like Forza Motorsport 7, a lazy entry into the series.
I agree. I’ve just not been blown away by this title at all. It’s just okay.

For example, I like certain areas of the map, but I don’t feel like it’s nearly as fun to just go for a drive as it has been previously. In a lot of ways it reminds me of the first TDU, which had an expansive map but the roads themselves were largely flat and boring.

The car list isn’t the best, either, imo and I had hoped we’d have more DLC car packs released instead of the one car every two weeks thing they’ve been doing. I’m also unlike a lot of other players because I HATE the seasonal events thing. I don’t want to grind away and do all these weird nonsense events just to get one new car.

In general, it just seems like the game has been designed for people who just want to screw around and jump off cliffs and stuff. Which is totally fine and fun to do every so often, but I feel like T10 has basically made it so there is only one correct way to play the game. Tbh I was kind of worried about this based on the trailers. I’ll keep playing it because there is still some fun to be had, but I doubt I’ll pick it up again once GT7 comes out.

Last edited:
Thought the Daily's were opened at a certain time of day , just went on and speend £50k on upgrades was already complete. can't even do that one lame thing lol

Engine swaps can be great fun on some cars, but many are not fun due to lazy options.

Land Cruiser for example is a fun example. You need diesel engine? OK. You can even get the familiar 7.2 Racing V8, or if you're a Toyota guy, you can get a Formula Drift 2JZ.

So what about the hot hatch?
Only 1.6 Rally.
We want to give supercars better performance.
Lambo V12, Ferrari Hybrid, Ferrari Racing V12, you're in luck if you have one of these three.
I want to put Rotary in my MX-5. Only R26B is available, not 13B. ...Why?
I’ve been thinking about this and I reckon classifying engine swaps can be done.

Something like this.

Universal Engine Swaps: Engines which are very common and almost every car will have 1 or more of these, like the 1.6 Turbo Rally, 6.2 V8’s etc.

Manufacturer Exclusive Swaps: Cars within a brand will get these engines and you can be creative here, like the Ford Ranger’s turbo diesel 4 cylinder being swapped into the Fiesta ST or the Focus RS’s 2.3 Turbo being swapped in to the Foxbody Mustang.

‘But Vic’ you might say, ‘What about manufacturers with only one car?’ Surely they can’t be left with just Universal engine swaps? 🤔

You’re right, which is where the next group comes in. :P

Bespoke Engine Swaps: This’ll be tricky to balance, But it’ll make every car feel more unique as every car will get at least 1 engine swap that is unique to that car and here the only limit is if it can fit in the car.

For Example, swapping the Morgan 3 Wheelers engine into the BMW Isetta or Honda’s rev happy F20C being dropped into the AE86.

Yes you could get daft and sacrilegious with this option and you can argue it’s kinda already being done to an extent, but this way every car will be worth picking up and maybe create a new Meta car in the process. ;)

Last edited:
Why the devs of FH5 have this awful tendency to swap the fixed/movable stock wing of high-performance cars (Senna, P1, Veyron/Chiron, Centenario, etc) into the ugly Forza wing everytime we need swap them to adjustable/race rear wings? It boggles my mind. I like being able to swap the rear spoiler/wing of a AWD car to gain some PI points while at same having it's pleasant factory/stock look to admire it.

I’ve been thinking about this and I reckon classifying engine swaps can be done.

Something like this.

Universal Engine Swaps: Engines which are very common and almost every car will have 1 or more of these, like the 1.6 Turbo Rally, 6.2 V8’s etc.

Manufacturer Exclusive Swaps: Cars within a brand will get these engines and you can be creative here, like the Ford Ranger’s turbo diesel 4 cylinder being swapped into the Fiesta ST or the Focus RS’s 2.3 Turbo being swapped in to the Foxbody Mustang.

‘But Vic’ you might say, ‘What about manufacturers with only one car?’ Surely they can’t be left with just Universal engine swaps? 🤔

You’re right, which is where the next group comes in. :P

Bespoke Engine Swaps: This’ll be tricky to balance, But it’ll make every car feel more unique as every car will get at least 1 engine swap that is unique to that car and here the only limit is if it can fit in the car.

For Example, swapping the Morgan 3 Wheelers engine into the BMW Isetta or Honda’s rev happy F20C being dropped into the AE86.

Yes you could get daft and sacrilegious with this option and you can argue it’s kinda already being done to an extent, but this way every car will be worth picking up and maybe create a new Meta car in the process. ;)
I also would love engine swaps that make the car basically worse in every way. I would enjoy a Peel-engined Bugatti Chiron to no end.

Captura de tela 2022-01-18 203450.jpg

I have become the Eliminator for the third time. That was my 16th match and i was doing it just to get those sweet 2 points from the Festival Playlist. Luck was on my side for the entire match.

Some cars already have such engine options, but the addition of slower engines to more high-performance models will help from a tuning perspective.
For example, such an option would be very useful in cars like the Challenger and Charger, where there are only top trims with excessive horsepower.

I'll now dig through the badge files. Here are some of the interesting things I have found:
lin_badge_013_gloss.png

mark_vii_001_diff.png

- Lincoln Mark VII LSC badges

mg3_001_nrml.png

- MG 3 VTi badges

currie_001_opac.png

- Currie?

I'll attach these textures via a Google Drive Link for yourselves to see. Let me know if there are any more badges/wheel textures that you find interesting that I haven't discovered yet.

Last edited:
Can you imagine being PG asking Microsoft for a few bucks more in order to secure the Alfa Romeo license and servers that aren't run on potatoes only to have them say, nah fam, we good as is, and then see them go and dish out 70 billions to buy out the hot mess that is Activision/Blizzard...

Can you imagine being PG asking Microsoft for a few bucks more in order to secure the Alfa Romeo license and servers that aren't run on potatoes only to have them say, nah fam, we good as is, and then see them go and dish out 70 billions to buy out the hot mess that is Activision/Blizzard...
I wonder how this will affect the Stellantis license...

Either that, or it could be a sponsor sticker, as other sponsor stickers exist in these files

Last edited:
They could have licensed Veilside, Mansory, Rocket Bunny... as many aftermarket body kits as the community wanted, and hired more staff to model them.
Oh, and more QA staff and better localization.

It's good that they're trying to bring more studios into the "family", but I wish they'd also spend more money on making those titles better, instead of turning a blind eye to the problems with existing titles.

Can you imagine being PG asking Microsoft for a few bucks more in order to secure the Alfa Romeo license [...]
I don't think it's a problem of money. FCA Italy is still undergoing some serious post-merger corporate restructuring, and the hole in the car list is suspiciously FCA Italy-shaped. It's not at all unlikely that, when the time came to work out a licensing deal, there was no one on Stellantis' side of the equation that could come to the negotiation table - a situation not too dissimilar to what happened with Mitsubishi in FH4.
They could have licensed Veilside, Mansory, Rocket Bunny... as many aftermarket body kits as the community wanted, and hired more staff to model them.
Trying to license Mansory is a good way to ship the game without Ferrari and Bentley (at the very least). They are definitely not well-regarded by the companies building the cars they like to maul. As for Rocket Bunny, if they disappeared from Forza after being in the last three games, I think it's safe to assume the reason's not just "PGG decided to save money and not license Rocket Bunny/Pandem kits".

Last edited:
Agree with a bunch of the above swap talk, particularly lower performance motor swaps and racing 4-speed transmissions and such.

On the subject of swaps, I've always wanted two things that I feel like would be really simple additions both in Motorsport series and Horizon series.

1: Let us swap AWD cars to FWD. We get a lot of hot hatches and stuff like the Golf and so on where we only get the top AWD model and it can be somewhat restrictive. It would open up some new options, like replicating lower trim models, just lowering the PI, or to simulate racing-style builds where AWD isn't commonly used.

2: Let us swap the drivetrain swap transmission into any car without having to actually swap the drivetrain around. When you do a drivetrain swap on a car, the transmission is replaced with a fast shifting transmission. For most cars it's a pretty close ratio 6-speed, but I believe some of the later additions to the series can have more gears. It shifts very quickly without the need for the clutch button, and (at least in the Motorsport series) its default upgrade level is "Sport" so you can adjust final drive without any other upgrades needed. Alternatively, they could just make this faster shifting transmission the "Race" level transmission upgrade as if they are simulating a sequential or something.

so the weirdest thing happened today,i was doing the trials and when the race started there was no drivatars only player vehicles ,but we were shown to be behind the nonexistent drivatars, thankfully that happened on the third race and we had won the two prior

Okay... I have decided to dig through the files (which were unlocked for some reason, when it comes to the textures) with curiosity and found a lot of wheel and badge texture files. Included in these files are all of the cars mentioned in the leaked list (https://www.gtplanet.net/new-forza-horizon-4-files-leak/) 2 years ago, along with all the cars present in Horizon 4 and Motorsport 7 and all the cars leaked from Horizon 5 day one (via their thumbnails). I'll jot down the cars never mentioned by any of the leaked lists:

• 2018 #36 Acura NSX GT3 (acu_36_nsxgt3_18)
  • 1969 #3 AMC Javelin Barrett Jackson (amc_3_javelinbj_69)
  • 1969 Aston Martin DBS Vantage (not the Bond variant)
  • 2017 #8 Camburg Kinetik TT-L
  • 1939 Chevrolet C1500 Barrett Jackson? (che_c1500bj_39)
  • 2013 Chevrolet Camaro Prostock
  • 2018 Chevrolet Camaro COPO (che_camarocopo_18)
  • 2018 #23 Chevrolet Corvette TA (che_23_corvetteta_18)
  • 1966 Cooper T81 (coo_t81_66; Thumbnail was leaked in Motorsport 7 by Admeister)
  • 1990 #20 Benetton B190 (for_20_b190_90)
  • 2014 #17 Ford Focus ST
  • 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor SEMA
  • 2017 Genesis G90 (gen_g90_17)
  • 2019 Italdesign Da Vinci (ita_davinci_19)
  • 1971 Jensen Interceptor SP (jen_interceptorsp_71)
  • 1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (lin_markvii_88)
  • 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (lin_markviii_98)
  • 2014 Lotus Exos T125 (lot_00_t125_14)
  • 2016 Lexus RC F GT3 (lex_rcfgt3_16)
  • 1970 #146 Matra-Simca MS650 (mat_146_ms650_70)
  • 2012 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Wagon (mer_e63amgw_12)
  • 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Wagon (mer_e55amgw_06)
  • 2018 #71 Mercedes-AMG GT3 (mer_71_amggt3_18)
  • 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT4 (mer_amggt4_18)
  • 2005 MG XPower SV-R (mg_svr_05)
  • 2006 Noble M400 (nob_m400_06)
  • 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado (old_toronado_66)
  • 2017 #38 Oreca 07 (orc_38_oreca07_17)
  • 2018 #7 Peuegot 308 TCR
  • 2019 Porsche 911 Speedster
  • 1993 Porsche 962CR Schuppan (por_962crs_93; Thumbnail leaked by Admeister)
  • 2014 RUF RT35 S (ruf_rt35s_14)
  • 2013 Savage Rivale Roadyacht GTS (sav_rivalegts_13)
  • 2010 SEAT Leon Cupra R (sea_leoncuprar_10)
  • 2020 #23 Sierra Cars Alpha Pikes Peak
  • 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Desert Racer (sub_crosstrekdesertracer_17)
  • 2018 Subaru WRX STI ARX
  • 1965 Toyota Sport 800 (toy_sports800_65)
  • 2019 Volkswagen Golf R (vw_golfr_19)
  • 2020 Wuling Hongguang S (wul_hongguangs_20)
  • 2017 Yamaha Raptor 700 (yam_raptor700_17)

Returning from past Forza Games/possible leftovers (other than FH4 leftovers):
  • 1958 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce (alf_giulietta_58)
  • 1992 Alfa Romeo Milano (alf_milano_92)
  • 1970 Alfa Romeo Montreal (alf_montreal_70)
  • 1998 Aston Martin V8 Vantage V600 (ast_vantagev600_98)
  • 2009 Audi Q7 V12 TDI (aud_q7_09)
  • 2016 Bentley Speed 6 (ben_speed6concept_16)
  • 1971 Chevrolet Vega (che_vega_71)
  • 2011 Citroen C1 (cit_c1_11)
  • 1966 Datsun Silvia (dat_silvia_66)
  • 1968 Dodge Coronet W023
  • 1986 Dodge Shelby Omni GLHS (dod_shelbyomniglhs_86)
  • 2006 Ford GTX1 (for_gtx1_06; Thumbnail is leaked)
  • 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt (for_fairlane_64)
  • 1992 Ford Falcon GT
  • 1965 Ford Abatti F100 Trophy (for_f100trophy_65)
  • 1967 Ford Falcon XR (for_falconxr_67)
  • 1951 Holden FX Sedan (hol_fxsedan_51)
  • 1968 Holden Monaro GTS (hol_monarogts_68)
  • 1951 Holden 50-2106 FX Ute (hol_50-2106fx_51)
  • 1995 Honda CRX Del Sol (hon_crxdelsol_95)
  • 2018 Honda Odyssey Elite (hon_odyssey_18)
  • 2000 Honda Prelude Type SH (hon_prelude_00)
  • 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport (lex_gs350f_13)
  • 2014 Lexus IS 350 F (lex_is350_14)
  • 2017 Lincoln Continental (lin_continental_17)
  • 1980 Lotus Esprit Turbo (lot_espritturbo_80)
  • 2012 Maserati Quattroporte (mas_quattroporte_12)
  • 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLR Mclaren (mer_slr_05)
  • 1985 Nissan Safari Turbo (nis_safari_85)
  • 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
  • 1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS (por_904_64)
  • 1980 Porsche 924 Carrera GTS (por_924carerragts_80)
  • 1995 RUF CT2R (ruf_ctr2_95)
  • 2009 SAAB 9-3 Turbo X (saa_93turbox_09)
  • 1996 Subaru SVX Alcyone (sub_svx_96)
  • 1968 Subaru 360 (sub_360_68)
  • 1972 Volvo 1800E (vol_1800e_72)
  • 2015 Volvo S60 Polestar (vol_s60polestar_15)
  • 2017 Volvo XC70 R-Design (vol_xc90_17)
  • 2006 Vauxhall Astra VXR (vau_astravxr_06)
Heyhey,

how is it possible to find these thumbnails?
I was going through the texture files but i couldnt find them.
Any help?

I'll now dig through the badge files. Here are some of the interesting things I have found:

I'll attach these textures via a Google Drive Link for yourselves to see. Let me know if there are any more badges/wheel textures that you find interesting that I haven't discovered yet.
-first gen Oldsmobile Toronado emblem and air cleaner decal
-Uwe Gemballa Design logos
-Saab and Spyker logos
-all the banished Chevy and Holden SS emblems

Back