Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 17,092 comments
Just a lazy Monday morning thought... Perhaps it would be best for the next FH to drop the pretense that it takes place in the "real world" and be more self-aware of its own virtual existence, kinda like The Crew does. In a sense that has happened in the Hot Wheels/Lego expansions, but maybe it could expand to encompass the full theme/map of the game. My idea then would be to create a huge theme park with areas inspired by world locations (Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas, etc.) and events (stunts, city/circuit racing, Touge, cross-country, rally, demolition derby, etc.) which would expand/change over time. I would also look for input from the many talented creators of the blueprints that now are being featured in the game. Lastly, bikes, bring lots of bikes.

Just a lazy Monday morning thought... Perhaps it would be best for the next FH to drop the pretense that it takes place in the "real world" and be more self-aware of its own virtual existence, kinda like The Crew does. In a sense that has happened in the Hot Wheels/Lego expansions, but maybe it could expand to encompass the full theme/map of the game. My idea then would be to create a huge theme park with areas inspired by world locations (Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas, etc.) and events (stunts, city/circuit racing, Touge, cross-country, rally, demolition derby, etc.) which would expand/change over time. I would also look for input from the many talented creators of the blueprints that now are being featured in the game. Lastly, bikes, bring lots of bikes.
All good apart from bikes bud. I think bikes would muddle things just too much. Different handling physics, completely different races would be needed for them compared to the cars. All the different animations needed, i.e car hitting a rock, if a bike does the same does the rider stay glued to the bike? If not are they able to be run over by passing vehicle? Nudging vehicles in open world, a bike would and should be flattened each and every time. I know FH is an arcade physics style game but I feel some realism is still needed.

Fully behind all your other suggestions though 👍

Last edited:
All good apart from bikes bud. I think bikes would muddle things just too much. Different handling physics, completely different races would be needed for them compared to the cars. All the different animations needed, i.e car hitting a rock, if a bike does the same does the rider stay glued to the bike? If not are they able to be run over by passing vehicle? Nudging vehicles in open world, a bike would and should be flattened each and every time. I know FH is an arcade physics style game but I feel some realism is still needed.

Fully behind all your other suggestions though 👍
Thanks! My rationale for bikes is this:
  • There are many dirt trails that are not used for anything in the game, other than traversing the map here and there. Bikes would expand the number of events available.
  • The Dunas Blancas arena is just used for a tangential cross-country race, a dirt scramble, and a danger sign jump and that's it. Bikes would open the layout (This was also true for England). There could also be a permanent stunt park.
  • Bikes can slalom and mountain ascent/descent races would be gorgeous, and you could also climb hills and explore forests better.
  • Now, I'm not calling for cars vs bike races, just bikes vs bikes. However, there could be rally-type long races where you could switch vehicles at some point.
  • The physics could be simplified and not have your character fly off when hitting a barrier or getting hit, and anyways the ATVs are already bike-like in behavior. On the other hand, for future FH games, I WANT characters to be fully editable and to have more complex interactions (like walking around outside their vehicles).
  • We have seen bikes in the games, if only as NPCs.
  • Anyways, my musings on a lazy Monday AFTERNOON (the life of the freelancer).

Thanks! My rationale for bikes is this:
  • There are many dirt trails that are not used for anything in the game, other than traversing the map here and there. Bikes would expand the number of events available.
  • The Dunas Blancas arena is just used for a tangential cross-country race, a dirt scramble, and a danger sign jump and that's it. Bikes would open the layout (This was also true for England). There could also be a permanent stunt park.
  • Bikes can slalom and mountain ascent/descent races would be gorgeous, and you could also climb hills and explore forests better.
  • Now, I'm not calling for cars vs bike races, just bikes vs bikes. However, there could be rally-type long races where you could switch vehicles at some point.
  • The physics could be simplified and not have your character fly off when hitting a barrier or getting hit, and anyways the ATVs are already bike-like in behavior. On the other hand, for future FH games, I WANT characters to be fully editable and to have more complex interactions (like walking around outside their vehicles).
  • We have seen bikes in the games, if only as NPCs.
  • Anyways, my musings on a lazy Monday AFTERNOON (the life of the freelancer).
Musings are always good. Quad bikes or tricycles could work but I'm just not convinced on the two wheelers.

The new FM has been confirmed as delayed until later this year, but no firm date given as yet. I think we'll just get stories added to the game to keep interest piqued.
Haven't seen that confirmed anywhere? Not officially anyway.

Here's a question out of the blue for you all. My good lady wife bought me the controller in the picture below directly from Xbox Design Labs a few Christmas' ago. As you can see the rubber grips on the back have expanded and lifted. Does anyone know of anywhere that does replacement grips. I love the controller, it has sentimental value to me.
IMG_20210518_122921~2.jpg

During the Xbox/Bethesda in Jan it was announced that FM was now due "2023" and not "Spring 2023".
Nothing official then. They changed the wording, last I saw an industry insiders said before end of June. Truth is we don't know, but there's certainly been nothing officially confirmed late 2023.

With EricShip's recent video, it seems that these reasons could be why Mike Brown left Playground Games and created Maverick Games.

Here's the summary for those that don't want to waste 10 minutes watching a video that should have been a post-it:

• Mike Brown said in the new studio's podcast series that the studio's focus is to be creative and innovative, so Eric posits that this is the reason why he left PG, since the Horizon series isn't exactly showing much creativity of late.
  • The only other tidbit of info is that the Maverick studio follows some racing creators on social media so it's possible that their game will be a car game. But he also reports that Mike Brown said he's more of open world guy than a racing guy, so then again maybe not.
I think people are reading too much into the ex-PG members who left. I always got the feeling that Mike Brown isn't that much of a car guy, so it makes sense that he'd want to leave to work on other projects eventually.

As for the lack of innovation, it's an issue that plagues the whole industry sadly. When a game gets this big it's not easy to convince daddy Microsoft to take risks. I don't think there's an obvious way for the game to be meaningfully refreshed while guaranteeing that the sales will be as strong. That said, reception has become slowly tipping into the negative side as of late, and I'm sure this has been noticed by the decision makers. We'll see how they respond.

As for the lack of innovation
Horizon don't need risky innovation, there are enough space for improvements within its own formula. Main problem is horrible progression system and balance; lack of proper usage of its features; really bad level design. Its not like improvements of this will drastically change what game is, but would make it waaaaay better.

Horizon don't need risky innovation, there are enough space for improvements within its own formula. Main problem is horrible progression system and balance; lack of proper usage of its features; really bad level design. Its not like improvements of this will drastically change what game is, but would make it waaaaay better.
Even something as simple as just focusing on one aspect of the game that all players want improved would be enough for me, as long as everything else is equal (aka not removing features/making parts worse). For example, next game they focus entirely on customization instead of Eliminator. We get all new custom body kits, customizable forza aero, window stickers, etc. Maybe even let you upload decals. That's the feature they focused on and it's robust. Nothing else is really "new" besides the map like usual, but much like FH5, the world is designed around showcasing this feature. I think I would honestly be fine with that. This is probably the intention anyway, they just need a better topic for the next game.

Did my Hot Wheels and finished off the dailies. I thought Bad To The Blade would make the S2 championship a breeze but there was one hairpin turn that forced me to try out a Mosler MT900 GT3 instead.

Last edited:
Just messed around, made a race starting at the main festival drag strip that goes up the motorway. Created a two Super 7 cards for the new Honda Trophy Truck, repainted and shared a design for the Trophy Truck and finally repainted and shared a design for the Porsche 918.

Typical day really. Creating tat and having fun, oh and doing my daily El Camino event for 250 accolade points to help me up the board.

Last edited:
Aside from dusting off the Daily Forzathon’s, i’ve been getting around the livery limit by buying cars with decent livery’s from the auction house instead of downloading them. ;)

It’s bit of potluck on what’s on offer anytime I do it and that bug with the windows and headlights been blacked out still exists. :irked:

Of course if PG just put the max amount of livery’s and tunes you can have at the same max amount of cars you can have(1000), then this wouldn’t be a issue to begin with. :ouch:

But aside from that, just getting prepped for the next season and the Polaris Pro and Sierra 700R. 👍

I finished up the last three dailies. It only took about three minutes since they could all be done in the same car. I also did a bit of grinding for skill mastery points. I want to have the full 999 points allowed when the expansion drops so I can max out each new car’s skill mastery tree as soon as I get it.

I basically have a 'routine' with this game now. Every Thursday after work, I'll start by fully completing the new Playlist. Everyday after that, I'll do the daily challenge, and usually work on getting a few more skill points as I'm still trying to fill every car's Skill Mastery tree much like @Populuxe (currently up to the Dodge Magnum).

Generally I'll keep going until I get a Skill Song, at which point I swap from whatever car I'm in to the Venom F5, and farm Ultimate Speed and Ultimate Near Miss skills until just over 50,000 on the highway; with a 10X multiplier, you get the maximum 10 skill points available. Rinse and repeat until the song is over, redeem Skill Points, and then I'm done for the day.

On weekends, I usually do an hour or so of Horizon Open racing. I'm sat at level 993 at the moment, and I'm slowly chipping away until I get to 1000 and finally get the badge. This is kind of a pain since online racing is... stressful to say the least, and I typically end up in the midpack so levelling up is fairly slow for me. The plan is to hit level 1000 on April 7th, as that marks one year since I started racing online.

I realise I just did a Patrick Bateman-esque explanation of how I play and made it sound colossally anal and not fun, but eh. :lol:

The donkey pinata part of the weekly Forzathon is puzzling. I was expecting a big pinata like the trucks and dinosaurs that are everywhere but no, it's a tiny donkey on a cart you have to look for!

I switched to day shift a month or two back. Even so there was just enough time before I had to go to work for one hour of gameplay to hit 20 points and get the new car. I was all set this morning and then realized it's Daylight Savings Time. Season change happens when I leave for work now. No playing the game until I get home from work. sad face emoji

The donkey pinata part of the weekly Forzathon is puzzling. I was expecting a big pinata like the trucks and dinosaurs that are everywhere but no, it's a tiny donkey on a cart you have to look for!
That drove me out of my mind, but not as much as the "earn an ultimate drift or e-drift skill in Guanajuato" part, because I banked at least three ultimate e-drift skills and nothing happened. I think this might've happened before in an earlier challenge (maybe even in Horizon 4) where you actually have to do a standard, non-e-brake drift, and that's proving a lot trickier for me to pull off for some reason (usually surprise traffic getting in the way).

UPDATE: nope. Couldn't complete it no matter how many Ultimate E-Drift and regular drift scores I got, even though I'm positive I did it within the "city limits".

UPDATE 2: did a couple other events, came back to Guanajuato in the Hoonigan, pulled off yet another Ultimate E-Drift, and finally got it recognized to finish the challenge. Weird.

Last edited:
Got the Polaris, but it's nothing special, really.
It's an off-road golf cart on steroids, that's basically it. The Can-Am Maverick is better at doing everything still.

With that said, I really enjoyed the Eventlab creation "River Rush" that's in the playlist this week. Multiple routes, shortcuts and a very clever use of the Hot Wheels props. Very well done to the author and please PG, showcase more of that creativity in the future.

Yup. I put it in the season change article/thread in case anyone's struggling.

Back