[Archive] Forza Horizon 5 Series 16: #FORDzathon

• Thread starter Famine
  • 24 comments
When is that stream, by the way?
Felix The Cat GIF by Tomas Brunsdon

Apologies for the slightly picky first post but can you please add metric equivalents for the event descriptions in your seasonal rundowns, we do not all use MPH...
I know I can look it up easily but would be good for completeness.

What's with the thumbnail? Makes FH5 look like a PS2 game somehow. And yet some people think FH5 looks better than GT :lol:

^ One: That is somebody's photo you're commenting on, so I'd take back what I said if I were you.

Two: You saying FH5 looking like a PS2 game is actually a compliment, because games on that console actually DID look better at the time, especially GT3/GT4 which to me, are better, more polished games than even MTX 7 (mean GT7).

Yep, looks aren't everything and while this game may not quite be up to the visual standards of other games with much longer development times the gameplay's held my interest for a lot longer (photos courtesy @turk1993).

Forza-Horizon-5-28-12-2022-6-24-17.jpg

dFZL8fk.jpeg

RLa50mS.jpeg

Last edited:
What's with the thumbnail? Makes FH5 look like a PS2 game somehow. And yet some people think FH5 looks better than GT :lol:
As someone who plays both of them and have more than 150h+ on both i strongly disagree 😅. GT7 is not even comparable in pure graphics during gameplay. Sure it does graphicly some things better than any other Forza, but the overall graphics its really not close. And i love them both btw, i even called GT7 the best looking console racing sim and still do. That shot in the thumbnail is just a matte car going 100+mph in the dessert doing a jump mid air in the middle of the day where the shadows are out of the frame. No offence to the poster btw, just not a good setting for a photo.

It would be the same if i post this and say that GT7 looks like a PS2 game just because of this photo. Which is far from true and is just a bad spot from a bad looking track. The game looks much much better than this 90% of the time.
Gran-Turismo-7-20220415232618.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220306025748.png

^ One: That is somebody's photo you're commenting on, so I'd take back what I said if I were you.
It's mine, but the Hoonigan RS200 is a weird car model that just doesn't look right half the time. Maybe an older asset? Although the matte black doesn't help at all.

I just wanted a Hoonigan in the image because... well, obvious reasons!

It's mine, but the Hoonigan RS200 is a weird car model that just doesn't look right half the time. Maybe an older asset? Although the matte black doesn't help at all.

I just wanted a Hoonigan in the image because... well, obvious reasons!
The car looks photoshopped 😅.

The car looks photoshopped 😅.
If it had been it would look more convincing!

I think the tracks over the syncline of the dune under the car that couldn't possibly have made them due to taking off at the crest also don't help.

As there's three different Horizon Arcade challenges which you can complete at once this week, I thought I would save them until they were all available and knock them all off.

They are, for reference:

Season Events - Horizon Arcade: Mini Games - Complete any Horizon Arcade theme
Daily Challenge (January 13) - Horizon Mascot - Smash 5 Pinatas in Horizon Arcade Wreckage
Daily Challenge (January 16) - There Ford You - Complete round 3 of Horizon Arcade in any Ford

To do that in one you'd need to do Horizon Arcade Wreckage, smash five Pinatas, and at least finish the event while in a Ford. With Air/Chaos/Speed/Wreckage being on some kind of rotation (no idea what the pattern even is) - while Drift is inexplicably there permanently - that means waiting for a Wreckage event to come up.

Lots of people are complaining about it because... well, there isn't a pattern. And there might not even be a pinata round - I had two skills rounds and a pinata, but it's not guaranteed.

Having logged in an hour ago, I've so far had:

Air
Air
Chaos
Wreckage
Air
Wreckage

Good job it wasn't a Speed event, I guess.

It took me a few rounds until I got a wreckage the other day, and it was full of people. Thank goodness we only needed 5 pinatas each. I just used the Puma FE today on a speed round and got it easily.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Forza Horizon 5 Season Change: Ford the Lulz

Forza Horizon 5’s celebration of all things Ford moves into its third week today, bringing along more new challenges and reward cars themed around the Blue Oval for the next seven days...

I guess a Hoonigan Mustang isn't a Mustang either...

As someone who plays both of them and have more than 150h+ on both i strongly disagree 😅. GT7 is not even comparable in pure graphics during gameplay. Sure it does graphicly some things better than any other Forza, but the overall graphics its really not close. And i love them both btw, i even called GT7 the best looking console racing sim and still do. That shot in the thumbnail is just a matte car going 100+mph in the dessert doing a jump mid air in the middle of the day where the shadows are out of the frame. No offence to the poster btw, just not a good setting for a photo.

It would be the same if i post this and say that GT7 looks like a PS2 game just because of this photo. Which is far from true and is just a bad spot from a bad looking track. The game looks much much better than this 90% of the time.
Gran-Turismo-7-20220415232618.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220306025748.png
Trackside detail that we almost never see is the only way it's worse looking and even then, i think the photo of fh5 in question looks much worse than the photos you posted to make gt7 look bad.

And again, the only time we see those off track details is in replays and photo mode so is it really that important? The lighting on the otherhand we see literally the entire time we race and it blows fh5 out of the water completely. In pretty much every lighting condition, gt7 and gt sport are miles ahead, especially in low light condition or overcast skies. GT Sport even uses the same brilliant prebaked and calculated ray traced global illumination that gt7 uses, and they swap between each set lighting scene almost perfectly

Not to mention superior material shaders (and not just on cars), much better image quality thanks to PGs insistence on sticking with MSAA which doesn't cover shimmering at all, better HDR implementation even IF you have dolby vision enabled on fh5, better tree models, and better draw distance at 60 fps

I'm sorry but I'll take signicantly better lighting over nice trackside details anyday. Frankly fh5 doesn't even look better than GT sport to me while I'm racing. Lighting is the most important aspect in graphics and almost nobody does it better than polyphony

Two: You saying FH5 looking like a PS2 game is actually a compliment, because games on that console actually DID look better at the time, especially GT3/GT4 which to me, are better, more polished games than even MTX 7 (mean GT7).
Honestly I didn't mean to insult the photo at all. I was more insulting just the flat look of the lighting and the textures. That's certainly not the photo takers fault so no offense intended.

Also, I definitely do not think fh5 looks like a ps2 game. I just think that particular photo surprisingly reminded me of ps2 graphics because otherwise its the best looking racing game besides GT7 and GT Sport in my opinion.

Last edited:
And again, the only time we see those off track details is in replays and photo mode so is it really that important?
Bruh come on haha, thats soo far from been true. you see it all the time. It literally covers 70%+ your screen when playing. You see it all the time!
51672929834_328899cc1b_o.jpg

The lighting on the otherhand we see literally the entire time we race and it blows fh5 out of the water completely. In pretty much every lighting condition, gt7 and gt sport are miles ahead, especially in low light condition or overcast skies. GT Sport even uses the same brilliant prebaked and calculated ray traced global illumination that gt7 uses, and they swap between each set lighting scene almost perfectly
Again you are soo wrong, did you actually play FH5? The lighting is one of the best in any game that has dynamic tod and weather. its very accurate to the real thing and captures Mexicos weather and lighting perfectly. The sky and environments are straight captured from Mexico and they captured colors of all the materials and other things in the environment to match the real thing.

lNxlnYz.jpg

lyavNw4.jpg

and the game has some of the most crazy and extreme lighting conditions that GT7 can't match
51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

Not to mention superior material shaders (and not just on cars),
This is true the material shaders are better in GT, they always had one of the best PBR. Every car has unique materials and shaders.

much better image quality thanks to PGs insistence on sticking with MSAA which doesn't cover shimmering at all
Im on pc and the game has literally all the IQ modes you can have from DLSS, DLAA, FFXSR, TAA and SRS.

better HDR implementation even IF you have dolby vision enabled on fh5
This is true, even tho FH5 has good HDR, GT7 HDR is the best out of any game.

better tree models, and better draw distance at 60 fps
You gotta be joking right? Here you are trippin lol. GT7 trees and environments are several generations behind FH5. Its literally 2d rotating texture that reacts to lighting from one angle compared to the FH5 which has one of the most advanced trees and foliage in any game, and its even destructable and reacts to the weather and wind which is completely static in GT7. And my FH5 runs 80+fps all the time with everything maxed out :). And draw distance in FH5 is far far higher than GT7, you can litrerally see the other side of the map from the volcano and drive there. And the map is over 100KM² which is huge and bigger than anything you can find in GT7 (or any other track sim).
51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

I'm sorry but I'll take signicantly better lighting over nice trackside details anyday. Frankly fh5 doesn't even look better than GT sport to me while I'm racing. Lighting is the most important aspect in graphics and almost nobody does it better than polyphony
Again, if you make statements like this than it just shows me that you simply haven't played FH5 on a good pc. You are just crazy if you think that GTS looks better than FH5. The overal graphics in FH5 are far superior to GT7 or any other racing game. I didn't even mention the in game ray tracing that they have added some time ago. And GT7 is a good looking game that does some things better than FH5 like materials shaders, car interiors, some lighting situations. And again i said its the best looking racing sim on console. But FH5 is a different beast and is far ahead from any other game when it comes to graphics.

Leave it to this forum to start up a Forza vs. GT pissing match on something as trivial as a photo in a seasonal change article.

Leave it to this forum to start up a Forza vs. GT pissing match on something as trivial as a photo in a seasonal change article.
I didn't reply to him to start a Forza vs GT pissing match, it was just to show him how wrong he was about FH5 graphics. I play both Forza and GT, and love them both. And you're right, its stupid to argue things like this from a seasonal change article photo which was also my point.

LOL, bring it on boysssss...

It's clear that both games are amazing graphical achievements.

Here's a side by side comparison of GT7 and FH5.

2022-British-GT-Championship-Brands-Hatch-03628.jpgIMG_20230123_212720.jpg

Just kidding, here's the actual comparison.

Personally I spend most of my time looking outside the car and not at the fascia, though.

Last edited:
I see... many complaints about the HW speed trap on the official forums.

I ran it first time in the only car I can recall that actually has an "SS" abbreviation on the car list: the Transit Super Sport Van.

No idea what the tune is, but it's one I used ages ago for an S1 seasonal that involved the Arch of Mulege circuit. Likely the first S1 900 tune you'll find for it with any kind of offroad stats.

There was an S1 860 tune that did the trick for me but I can't remember the tuner. Something like HighIntensity... will check and update next time I'm on the Xbox.

Bit short on Trial buddies this week. Luckily the only other gualknew how to drive and I could just follow him around the courses to victory.

679447c6-34b7-4b0b-87ec-36e50bc29348.png

Last edited:
Back