• 66 comments

Kake Bake

(Banned)
United States
United States
keithb1ack
keithb1ack
Link.

The fat-and-thin is that the DLC is like the disc-2 content from Forza's 3 & 4, only delivered via the Cloud this go round. It means T10 can work on the game for much longer before it needs to be released.

“So when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in,” he explained. “And when you log in you’re going to get the Drivatars and you’re also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.

"We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch."

“[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything. And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).

Last edited:
Well that's gonna suck for people that don't have Internet.

Doesn't effect me in the slightest though. If it gives them more time to produce content I'm all for it.

Is a good idea for getting around the limitations of having to have builds ready months before actual release. Even people who don't have internet can get it for long enough to download an update, usually.

It seems to be a non-issue for most would-be players. While the topic post describes this as being similar to a second disc, from the sounds of it we're really just looking at a minor update, albeit one required for the game to function. It doesn't sound like something that will be gigabytes or even hundreds of megabytes. From the sounds of it, it's just some Drivatar data, since the game uses that instead of traditional AI.

Trolls on the GameFAQs boards were suggesting that Turn 10 should delay the game if they couldn't meet their deadline. The thing of it is that they are meeting their deadline. Everything they wanted to be there at retail is on track to be there at launch.

This is a small bit of content accommodating for a change in how One functions, resulting from players demanding such changes. They counted on our Ones connecting online, through which FM5 would update Drivatar data. FM5 still needs Drivatar data. This mandatory download takes care of that, as I understand it.

Honestly, most folks planning on spending $500 on day one for a One probably have some sort of decent internet connection anyway, so a quick day-one download should be trivial. It's really just folks who have no connection at all that should have trouble with this.

It's slightly unfortunate - mostly in the sense that those who are firmly in the anti-(XBone/FM/Microsoft) camp are going to have a field day with this - but I see their reasoning, as I imagine the gold certification process is potentially even longer for a launch game. All the people who cry out "day one DLC" should take note that they're not charging for this.

Imari's got a point too about those without internet probably having access in some form for long enough to grab this. Besides - I can't help but think those that are interested in getting this on Day 1 will almost all have that aspect taken care of well in advance. Possibly with some vacation days booked too...

NINJA - I never even considered how this could be the result of the changes to the One's connectivity approach. Good catch, Iceman.

It seems to be a non-issue for most would-be players. While the topic post describes this as being similar to a second disc, from the sounds of it we're really just looking at a minor update, albeit one required for the game to function. It doesn't sound like something that will be gigabytes or even hundreds of megabytes. From the sounds of it, it's just some Drivatar data, since the game uses that instead of traditional AI.

Drivatar data as well as tracks and cars.

Well that's gonna suck for people that don't have Internet.

Technically for 'people with no internet' buying a launch day xbox1 would be like buying a brick to play FM5.

The console was designed for people who are connected, if you aren't, buy one at your own peril. The main concern is for those that don't have a large data allowance.

Even people who don't have internet can get it for long enough to download an update, usually.

Could be a coup for games stores there somewhere, if there was a way to do it without compromising personal info. Maybe a while-you-wait service.

I think the people saying the game should be delayed, should consider delaying their purchase until the GOTY edition, and seeing how that works out for them. Kinda defeats the purpose of being a launch-day purchase doesn't it :lol:

Last edited:
I have no problem with the idea, sounds ok to me.

Can someone explain to me what a "Drivatar" is though?

It's their AI. Supposedly each AI is based on an analysis of a player's driving style. The AI then attempts to drive in a manner similar to that player, the lines they follow, the way they attack and defend and so on. It's pretty unclear exactly how well this will work at this point.

This is how it has been for most console games this generation. Release now, finish and patch later. So this is really nothing new that we are not already used to. At least its free which should be in the title.
I still cant stand the practice of "ship now, fix later". But that is NEVER going to change.

Last edited:
It doesn't mater because you need internet to use XboxOne Day one anyway. Turn 10 knew this months ago. That's the bigger issue , not this.

This is how it has been for most console games this generation. Release now, finish and patch later. So this is really nothing new that we are not already used to. At least its free which should be in the title.
I still cant stand the practice of "ship now, fix later". But that is NEVER going to change.

Except it's not a fix. It's more like, "Ship now and give them a boatload of additional content that wouldn't have been in there otherwise, on day one, for free."

So..., evidently I misread the IGN article last night. I only saw the Drivatar bit, and I guess I didn't see the bit about cars and tracks, so... I retract my statements about it being a small download.

:indiff:

Yeah, I kinda viewed the article again a bit ago and had to return to some topics here and there to acknowledge that I missed that bit.

Well, this is just great.

Sucks bigtime where folks don't have access to Xbox Live or where it isn't readily available.

Didn't see this s*** sandwich coming.

Not really sure where you got that from. That whole article is about Finishing the product with more, before the deadline, not after.

Well, this is just great.

Sucks bigtime where folks don't have access to Xbox Live or where it isn't readily available.

Didn't see this s*** sandwich coming.
Not to say that there isn’t anyone out there, but I cannot think of one single person in my life that doesn’t have a connection to the internet. Although I agree, some people are going to be rather sad.

Last edited:
It doesn't mater because you need internet to use XboxOne Day one anyway. Turn 10 knew this months ago. That's the bigger issue , not this.

What if someone buys Forza 5 after one month?. You are assuming everyone is going to buy Forza 5 day one lol

There sure are a lot of humanitarians on this board, what with all of their concern for those without internet access.

This is a major downer for me as I have a rather low cap for internet, probably won't be buying it now. 👎

What if someone buys Forza 5 after one month?. You are assuming everyone is going to buy Forza 5 day one lol

You need to connect the XB1 to the internet the first time you play it, doesn't matter when you buy it.

It implies that if you Own the Xbox One in the first place downloading the rest of the game will not be an issue.

This is a major downer for me as I have a rather low cap for internet, probably won't be buying it now. 👎

You need to connect the XB1 to the internet the first time you play it, doesn't matter when you buy it.
Is your cap for how much you download per month or bandwidth? Just curious.

Is your cap for how much you download per month or bandwidth? Just curious.

It's on how much I can download. Not sure how big the FM5 pack would be, but I'd imagine it would be quite large.

What kind of cap do you have? I have a cap on my Xfinity plan but it's something like 300 GBs.

I'm on 15gb :|

The patch required to remove the DRM systems will come pre installed on later consoles.

Just like later printing runs of FM5 will have that extra content on disc.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I'd be amazed if the download took up even half of that, but I can see your worry.

So basically you can't play the single player game if u don't connect to XBL. It's not turn 10's fault though because they thought Xb1 was going to be always online and now they are left scrambling to fix this.

There sure are a lot of humanitarians on this board, what with all of their concern for those without internet access.

Well, all the people without internet access can't hear us badmouthing them, so we can say whatever we like. I hear that people without internet access are liable to overeat and have promiscuous mothers.

Get internet. We're not in the mid 2000's or 90's anymore.

I don't really care. After getting denied a pre-order from Gamestop, I think its best to say that I'm not getting the XB1 or FM5 during launch.

What kind of cap do you have? I have a cap on my Xfinity plan but it's something like 300 GBs.

I currently only have 6GB's of data. I was going to go with Xfinity last year after I got fed up with CenturyLink, but they decided to be difficult before I even became a customer. I pretty much went to Verizon and got a mobile hotspot as a last resort.

I currently only have 6GB's of data. I was going to go with Xfinity last year after I got fed up with CenturyLink, but they decided to be difficult before I even became a customer. I pretty much went to Verizon and got a mobile hotspot as a last resort.

This sort of extremely limited data plan is still common in Australia and New Zealand too. Best thing I found when I was on them was to go to net cafes or university or something and use their connection. They're usually on an unlimited plan (or at least so large that a gig here and there doesn't matter) and download. It's easy enough to take your Xbox along, plug it into one of their screens, do your update and go home.

Bit of a kerfuffle, but it is what it is. People without decent internet are always going to be second class citizens with computers, it's just becoming more obvious these days.

Back