Forza Motorsport 5 to Require Day-One DLC

• Thread starter Kake Bake
  • 66 comments
Is Turn 10 seriously releasing a half game? No no no, Finish it now, period. It would've been wise to just get PGR5 or whatever to handle the XB1, while letting T10 finish FM5. This is what I had in mind for months now. Even if its free to download, I find it wrong to release a half game to people. If this passes, than devs are going to find it okay to release half-assed games to the public. Just delay FM5, it's not like it won't kill them or anything...

Come on...

Is Turn 10 seriously releasing a half game? No no no, Finish it now, period. It would've been wise to just get PGR5 or whatever to handle the XB1, while letting T10 finish FM5. This is what I had in mind for months now. Even if its free to download, I find it wrong to release a half game to people. If this passes, than devs are going to find it okay to release half-assed games to the public. Just delay FM5, it's not like it won't kill them or anything...

Come on...

If it's just content I don't see the problem. It's a good idea. Spend the time early to make sure the game works, use the last few months to create content all the way up to release date.

Frankly, if they did it the "normal" way, you'd just get a small game and Day 1 paid DLC...

Come on...

Not what it said. What this is doing is giving T10 more time to develop the game, all the way up to release date. Its not that they need more time, but all this is doing is allowing them to spruce it up more before the release date. How is that half assed? Its still being released the same day, with all content, and by the sounds of it, also giving them more time to hopefully add on more.

It doesnt matter if you buy it launch day, or 5 months later, you are still going to get the exact same content in that download.

If it's just content I don't see the problem. It's a good idea. Spend the time early to make sure the game works, use the last few months to create content all the way up to release date.

Frankly, if they did it the "normal" way, you'd just get a small game and Day 1 paid DLC...

Not what it said. What this is doing is giving T10 more time to develop the game, all the way up to release date. Its not that they need more time, but all this is doing is allowing them to spruce it up more before the release date. How is that half assed? Its still being released the same day, with all content, and by the sounds of it, also giving them more time to hopefully add more on more.

Oh. Then I must have misunderstand after reading. But is the DLC really required in order to play the game though?

Oh. Than I must have misunderstand after reading then. But is the DLC really required in order to play the game though?

From the looks of it yes. See next quote

It's not turn 10's fault though because they thought Xb1 was going to be always online and now they are left scrambling to fix this.

Dont know if this is actually true or not, but it sounds reasonable enough. Although, no one knows the true intention of why they chose that route.

From the looks of it yes. See next quote

Dont know if this is actually true or not, but it sounds reasonable enough. Although, no one knows the true intention of why they chose that route.

Oh okay, good to hear. 👍 I wonder why they chose it that way, hmm.

But is the DLC really required in order to play the game though?

We knew at least one connection was required to play the game before this was announced. The game always needed to connect at least once to download Drivatar data.

Presumably they could put some basic AI on the disc, but I'm guessing they still want to push the online aspect.

Not really sure where you got that from. That whole article is about Finishing the product with more, before the deadline, not after.

Not to say that there isn’t anyone out there, but I cannot think of one single person in my life that doesn’t have a connection to the internet. Although I agree, some people are going to be rather sad.

Friend, notice how my post reads "people who don't have access to Xbox Live". I didn't say anything about not having an internet connection.

Xbox Live is not readily available in every region, or is expensive and/or a pain to get in some.

For the record, my internet runs like a champ! For my needs, anyway.

We knew at least one connection was required to play the game before this was announced. The game always needed to connect at least once to download Drivatar data.

Presumably they could put some basic AI on the disc, but I'm guessing they still want to push the online aspect.
Hypothetical question. So what if you are the very first person to sign in and play Forza, you download the update, and then sign out for, lets say a week. how much drivatar data could there possibly be for that initial download if you are the first person? I know no one has an answer, but I’m just curios.

Friend, notice how my post reads "people who don't have access to Xbox Live". I didn't say anything about not having an internet connection.

Starts a sentence with friends, but words his sentence rather rude.

Either way, Simple mistake.

Hypothetical question. So what if you are the very first person to sign in and play Forza, you download the update, and then sign out for, lets say a week. how much drivatar data could there possibly be for that initial download if you are the first person? I know no one has an answer, but I’m just curios.
It's been stated that the only Drivatar data at the zero hour will be from what's been collected by the game devs. That's why they're urging people to connect often to get more realistic and varied Drivatars.

It's been stated that the only Drivatar data at the zero hour will be from what's been collected by the game devs. That's why they're urging people to connect often to get more realistic and varied Drivatars.

Ah I see, I didnt know it was already talked about.

Xbox Live is not readily available in every region, or is expensive and/or a pain to get in some.

Those People would have had to have imported their Xbox1. It's only being released in Xbox live supported regions at launch. So they should expect some teething issues at a minimum.

Eh... The first batch of XBOnes would have to connect at least once to download the day 1 patch that removes the DRM and stuff, anyway. So... If you're unable to connect to XBL to download the Forza DLC, you won't be able to use your XBOne at all, it seems. Yeah. I don't think that the Forza DLC is the big issue here.

Ahh I see. That seems reasonable sort of, haha. :)👍

There's a change or clarification to this topic:
Turn 10's Dan Greenawalt told us today that being required to connect to Xbox Live before you can play is "not the plan." You just need to connect online eventually in order to complete the career mode.
"In the beginning of the game, the player will be racing against Drivatars that are contained on the disc and were trained by the [Turn 10 development] team," Greenawalt said. "While playing, the player will be asked to connect to Live in order to download a completely fresh set of player-created Drivatar opponents – it’s not a lot of data, but the download contains enough Drivatars to cover all difficulty settings. Connecting will also download new content – but the vast majority of the launch content is contained on the disc.
"This download is simply additional cars and tracks. The gameplay is not blocked while downloading the additional content; it’s done in the background just like disc install."
"The player won't be blocked from playing the game" if they've never connected it to Xbox Live, Greenawalt said. "But deeper areas in the career mode were designed to utilize these additional cars and tracks."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/18/forza-motorsport-5-install-offline-details-clarified

That sounds a lot better than before 👍.

The patch required to remove the DRM systems will come pre installed on later consoles.
Eh... The first batch of XBOnes would have to connect at least once to download the day 1 patch that removes the DRM and stuff, anyway.
Why do some people assume you have to connect in order to remove the DRM?
I think you have to connect every XB1 to activate the system.

Last edited:
Because Microsoft stated that the day one patch would remove the DRM policies?

That was Kotaku's interpretation and has been striked out:
It's clear that Microsoft was not planning to make these changes. Even though it's June and the console doesn't launch until November, Whitten said that Xbox One consumers will have to download a day-one patch to enable the Xbox One's offline mode. Presumably, without it, the console will still think it's living in the Xbox One era of E3 2013.

Microsoft is calling it a "one-time system set-up". I think this doesn't sound like it won't be required for later consoles.

That was Kotaku's interpretation and has been striked out:

Microsoft is calling it a "one-time system set-up". I think this doesn't sound like it won't be required for later consoles.

I still fully expect them to not be entirely dumb and release later revisions with these system updated in place. Much like the Slim 360 isn't send out with the Dashboard the 360 game out with initially.

I miss the "Blade" focused UI. It was so simple, so functional...

But yeah, I'd have to think they would start selling them without the patch being required after a little bit. Even if only to save some server space on their end.

phillkillv2
Get internet. We're not in the mid 2000's or 90's anymore.

I don't really care. After getting denied a pre-order from Gamestop, I think its best to say that I'm not getting the XB1 or FM5 during launch.

I dont see why i should have to fork out for internet just to enjoy next gen gaming. I have been happy to do without it throughout the PS3/XBOX 360 lifespan

SKOT_FREE
So basically you can't play the single player game if u don't connect to XBL. It's not turn 10's fault though because they thought Xb1 was going to be always online and now they are left scrambling to fix this.

It is their fault because like Microsoft themselves, they assume everyone with a games console has an internet connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is their fault because like Microsoft themselves, they assume everyone with a games console has an internet connection.

While it's obviously never going to be 100%, it's gotta be getting pretty close to the vast majority these days.

Not that I think it's the right choice, but you can see how it'd be pretty easy to make that assumption.

The very notion you have to have access to Xbox Live to enjoy next gen Microsoft gaming, is outrageous.

Don't know why Microsoft has to go around assuming everybody has an Xbox Live account, or MUST have an Xbox Live account. Some of us don't want to pay for Xbox Live and just enjoy good ol' fashioned gaming.

Looks like I'll be investing in a good gaming PC instead.

The very notion you have to have access to Xbox Live to enjoy next gen Microsoft gaming, is outrageous.

Don't know why Microsoft has to go around assuming everybody has an Xbox Live account, or MUST have an Xbox Live account. Some of us don't want to pay for Xbox Live and just enjoy good ol' fashioned gaming.

You don't have to pay to access Xbox Live. You've never had to.

You only pay when you want to play online multiplayer or buy things.

Since the DLC/patch is free, it's a non-issue.

I dont see why i should have to fork out for internet just to enjoy next gen gaming. I have been happy to do without it throughout the PS3/XBOX 360 lifespan
I don't see what your problem is. Your on the Internet right now.

Internet access does not imply stable, broadband internet access. Microsoft have specifically recommended a minimum 1.5Mbit connection for the XBone.

Internet access does not imply stable, broadband internet access. Microsoft have specifically recommended a minimum 1.5Mbit connection for the XBone.

Yes that's true, but its not like this hasn't been required for online gaming period. I'm just under 1.5 and it doesn't even seem enough on current gens. I barely manage to squeeze by the line of no lag.

I understand that the DLC is required to play, and that can be bothersome for us with the slower Internet. I just don't see this being a new problem though. Although if they are gonna make you download it is rather own a digital copy to be honest.

Latest Posts

Back