Forza Motorsport 7 E3 2017 Hands-On Impressions

Anyone saying 4k or HDR isn't a big deal either hasn't seen it in person on a quality set, or is crazy.

I went out and bought my first 4k television today, an OLED at that, soley to be able to take full advantage of the Xbox one X, and mainly Forza 7. (Of course it's going to also kick ass when Red Redemption 2 comes out in 4k, and others down the road.)

And? They still seemingly aren't milking the regular X1 for all it's worth.

I really don't get why you're being so confrontational about this, neither myself or @queleuleu have said it was a bad thing. :confused:

I'm not claiming that you guys said it's bad, I just personally don't agree with the idea that Forza 7 is an incremental update.

In fact it seems like they finally did some listening to the community and implemented a lot of new requested features.

Sorry,but i really cant read breyzipp nonsense without laughing (im serious)
Im deffo not going into arguments,its pointless,as you clearly already hate unreleased game with such small % of info about it.
Native 4K is a BIG deal - its so big,that many PC users till this day struggling with 4K/60fps.
heck,even Jordan like FM7 much more than pc2/gts - that says something,and they played demos with pads.I went from widescreen 2k to 4k and not going back.
Im amazed at peoples wish to troll games they not intending to play even when they not released.
I wish i could see future that clear... :D

They are using the original Xbox One for what it's worth, I'd love to see your evidence that it isn't.

Again, why the attitude? Which is oddly/scarily a similar attitude to the anti-FM posts earlier that you bashed?

Also, you provided my proof.

People claimed 1080p 60fps locked on Forza 5 would be impossible.

So if they were pushing the console than...

People claimed 1080p 60 fps locked, with 24 cars and weather on Forza 6 would be impossible.

How did they manage to find the power to accomplish that? Was FM6 some coding feat of brilliance or were they perhaps holding back in order to implement it properly? Is FM6 even pushing it? Did they uncover some other breakthrough in the past 2 years to accomplish dynamic weather?

I love Forza, it's pretty much the only game I've been willing to blindly pre-order and is the main reason I even have an XB1. But it's hard to ignore that T10 prioritizes quality over pushing the limits, which is perfectly fine as long as they're honest about it (which they seem to be).

Again, why the attitude? Which is oddly/scarily a similar attitude to the anti-FM posts earlier that you bashed?

Also, you provided my proof.

So if they were pushing the console than...

How did they manage to find the power to accomplish that? Was FM6 some coding feat of brilliance or were they perhaps holding back in order to implement it properly? Is FM6 even pushing it? Did they uncover some other breakthrough in the past 2 years to accomplish dynamic weather?

I love Forza, it's pretty much the only game I've been willingly to blindly pre-order and is the main reason I even have an XB1. But it's hard to ignore that T10 prioritizes quality over pushing the limits, which is perfectly fine as long as they're honest about it (which they seem to be).

I'm not intentionally giving you attitude, I just would honestly like to see evidence for the claim.

Forza 6 while maintaining a locked 60 on Xbox One for 99.9% of the time can dip on certain tracks in certain conditions which show that it is pushing the hardware quite hard.

The reason for Forza 6 being a big improvement over Forza 5 is a combination of things; the original dev SDK for Xbox One was pretty bad, Forza 6 was made after they released the 10% GPU power from the Kinect to game devs, Forza 5 was developed "as the plane was being built" and plainly having more experience with the hardware.

It doesn't mean that they weren't using the hardware to it's limits each time, it just means they were able to get more out of the same hardware with better tools and more experience. Xbox One X will be the same, we are only seeing the launch titles and first generation of games for this hardware; the games will perform and look even better as devs get more experience with it.

With Forza 7(on all platforms) we are getting:
  • 4K native(1080p native on Xbox One), 60 fps locked(New to Forza)
  • 700 cars at launch.(Most ever)
  • 30+ environments at launch.(Most ever)
  • dynamic lighting(New to Forza M)
  • dynamic weather(New to Forza M)
  • Photogrammetry(New to Forza)
  • bodykits(New to Forza M)
  • ForzaVista on Tracks(New to Forza)
  • 300+ race gear(New to Forza)
  • Tuning, car select and more in loading screens.(New to Forza)
  • Hotlap in multiplayer before the race starts.(New to Forza)
  • New car view closer to the dash and without the steering wheel.(New to Forza)
  • reworked forced feedback.
  • Support for pretty much every racing wheel on PC including PS4 wheels.(New to Forza)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One X and PC crossplay and support.(New to Forza M)
And a bunch of other smaller things and unannounced things or things that need clarified like additions to the damage system.

Please, go on about how incremental it is.
Well first off PC is not limited to 4k and 60fps, and I guess we might as well give up hoping for motorsport features like proper pit stops, qualifying and a flag system right? What they are showing are great improvements to the core Forza experience but many of us long time fans want something NEW, not just improved older ****. seriously let us ****ing qualify. how hard can it be to add that in? people have been asking that since the first damn game.

And? They still seemingly aren't milking the regular X1 for all it's worth.

I really don't get why you're being so confrontational about this, neither myself or @queleuleu have said it was a bad thing. :confused:
because it's FordGTGuy, the ultimate MS warrior.

Anyone saying 4k or HDR isn't a big deal either hasn't seen it in person on a quality set, or is crazy.

I went out and bought my first 4k television today, an OLED at that, soley to be able to take full advantage of the Xbox one X, and mainly Forza 7. (Of course it's going to also kick ass when Red Redemption 2 comes out in 4k, and others down the road.)

RDR2 will most likely be checkerboard.

They are milking them for what it's worth, if you think Forza isn't using X1 to it's fullest you're kidding yourself.

I have yet to see any game achieve this at launch on a new console, so I am not sure where you get this idea from.

Games improve as the cycle of the console continues.

My problem with Forza is that if you have played one game in the series you have played every game in the series. Having said that I will still buy number 7 because I love it so much. Lol.

Last edited:
I have yet to see any game achieve this at launch on a new console, so I am not sure where you get this idea from.

Games improve as the cycle of the console continues.

My problem with Forza is that if you have played one game in the series you have played every game in the series. Having said that I will still buy number 7 because I love it so much. Lol.

You're misunderstanding what I mean, I'm saying that at the time the game released they were using 100% of the power of the console as best as they could. With Forza 6 they are still using 100% but now with better tools and more experience to get more out of it.

Well first off PC is not limited to 4k and 60fps, and I guess we might as well give up hoping for motorsport features like proper pit stops, qualifying and a flag system right? What they are showing are great improvements to the core Forza experience but many of us long time fans want something NEW, not just improved older ****. seriously let us ****ing qualify. how hard can it be to add that in? people have been asking that since the first damn game.

I never claimed PC is restricted to 4K 60, I'm strictly talking about console resolution as PC resolution and framerate can be anywhere.

It doesn't have those things because Turn 10 has made clear that they don't won't to make that kind of game.

because it's FordGTGuy, the ultimate MS warrior.

No need to be so disrespectful, also what I said is true.

You come in here cursing and insulting people... it's not a good look.

RDR2 will most likely be checkerboard.

We don't know what these games will run at so we need to wait and see.

Last edited:
@breyzipp If that's the case, i'm sure you will buy Forza 7 at some point. I think we all love racing games and when you already got a great set up 50 bucks more for one game is not such a big deal

Normally I would fully agree with you. Money is no issue for me (I'm over 40 with a well payed job) and in the past I have bought about every racing game for the XBox One that even slightly interested me (FM5/6, FH3/4, DR, D4, AC, NFS, The Crew (because it was free), F1 2016 and a few dozen of other non-racing games. I also bought the XBox One mainly for Forza 6 when I moved away from PS3 (because PD was not releasing a new game fast enough, 2 years later we're still waiting). But I honestly think PCARS2 will be so good I have no other interest in any other racing game on consoles anymore. The only reason I would ever see myself getting FM7 is because something would be terribly wrong with PCARS2. Giving the fact that I now already enjoy PCARS1 more with a controller than FM6 I would not know what could go wrong.

With PCARS2 comes full dynamic weather, full dynamic time of day, seasons, different tyre strategies, manual pit stops, race weekends with practice sessions and qualifying, formation laps and cool down laps, fully animated pit crew, true car classes, online custom championships, online racing license, rallycross, ice racing, double the amount of track locations as in FM7 (triple that of GT:S), live track 3.0 with full dynamic snow, rain, dirt and rubbering in a track. Honestly, once I have taken a bite of all that, how on earth could I possibly settle for anything less?

Someone summoned up a large list of what's supposed to be new in FM7. Do you even realise half of that list is already in PCARS1 since 2015?

I'm not going to mention iRacing, rFactor, RaceRoom and other PC-only racing games since I have no experience with those but honestly on the consoles there is absolutely no competition for PCARS2 whatsoever if you ask me.

You know I never liked Long Beach since I'm not a fan of street circuits and since it was really overused in FM5/6 I dislike it a lot. I wasn't too happy it got in PCARS2 as well until I saw a movie of an Indycar where time of day was accelerated to show off how the map changed from day to night. It was absolutely stunning to see that track during sunset and night. Tracks really come to live in PCARS2, again in FM7 only a selected few will have dynamic storms, that's it. Don't expect any time of day changes like in PCARS. Turn 10 already confirmed night races are in. You know what that means right? Static night maps, exactly the same as it is in FM6.

Yes I used to be completely into FM6 until I wanted to immerse myself deeper in the game and ran into its problems. I even bought PCARS1 a month or so before FM6, hated it at first, played FM6 for 6 months, started disliking that then and picked PCARS1 up. Dropped it again for FH3 and now that I'm bored with FH3 I went again back to PCARS1. Ok currently I'm into Dirt 4 but if I get bored with that before PCARS2 is out, it will be PCARS1 again.

Bottom line is that Turn 10 seems to be taking the backseat and cash in from copy/paste releases. Comparing FM6 with FM5 is a joke, the games are nearly identical if it isn't for the cars and tracks, apart from the silly static water puddles there is no innovation in the game. Playground (albeit with Turn 10 support - I'm aware of that) at least gave some innovation to FH3 compared to FH2 with the auction house, blueprints, Forzathon, body kits and probably some more things. So what is new in FM7? All those things copy/pasted from FH3 and then dynamic clouds + 300 driver suits. That does not make me warm to buy the new title to be honest.

Someone summoned up a large list of what's supposed to be new in FM7. Do you even realise half of that list is already in PCARS1 since 2015

Please tell me, at what resolution and framerate does PCars 1 deliver such features with? Not even PCars 2 can deliver it with such performance or resolution.

SMS is willing to sacrifice framerate to deliver features, Turn 10 are not.

Now we are at the point where both are delivering the same kind of features but one is still maintaining the quality level that the other won't.

Comparing FM6 with FM5 is a joke, the games are nearly identical if it isn't for the cars and tracks

Honestly dude, you have to be a troll.

Forza 6 has double the cars on track, over double the amount of cars, double the environments, triple the layouts, night racing, open-wheel race cars, weather, puddles with hydroplaning and more.

Saying Forza 6 and Forza 5 are identical makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

I'm referring to the list of features, I said the "same kind" and not "exactly the same".

They are both delivering dynamic weather and dynamic lighting.

You had time to "LOL" at my comment yet you couldn't tell me exactly what resolution and performance level they delivered those features at. Here let me help you out:

The answer is 30-45 fps at 900p.

I'm getting a bit impatient to be honest :lol: This game is going to be so amazing! I really hope that track in the desert is playable because it looks incredible! And I just noticed Ultimate Edition is available for pre-order. I usually avoid pre-ordering, but this game is worth it. It probably be the only car game I'll be playing for the rest of the year, and well into next.

I own the ultimate editions of FM5, FM6, FH2 and FH3 (all XBox One Forza games). This will be the first Forza game I will completely pass on, I'm not even interested in the standard editions.

While the competition is taking giant leaps forward with Project CARS 2 and GT:Sport there is simply not enough new stuff in Forza to warrant buying a new game. Turn 10 seems to be taking baby steps but in the wrong direction. 4K and 60 FPS is nice... if you have a great game underneath it. Spending developer resources on 300 driver suits is nice... if you have a great game underneath it. The same can be said about the mystery new career mode, the new cars and tracks or all the other things copy/pasted from FH3 like auction house, Forzathon, wide body kits, etc... it is all nice.... if you have a great game underneath it.

Sadly that great game isn't underneath it all, what you have is a broken PI system, unrealistic car classes (for example GTE, GT3, Super Trofeo, Super GT all mixed together under "modern GT racers"), arcade physics, no full dynamic time of day and weather (instead it has dynamic storms on some of the maps), no tyre strategies, no adjustable FOV or even seat, no full controller/wheel mapping, etc etc. The list of shortcomings really goes on and on.

In 2015 both Project CARS and FM6 released, I purchased both games as a car enthusiast. PCARS sure had its struggle and bad handling but the career mode and entire game felt much more realistic. FM6 on the other hand felt very polished but once you want to immerse yourself deeper into it you run against its shortcomings I listed above. Now in 2017 I have the impression PCARS2 continues on the path towards realism and seriously worked on its shortcomings (like controller handling) where FM7 continues on it's arcade-feel path (with a lot of copy/paste content from previous games) and completely ignoring its shortcomings.

For the serious racer in me who wants a realistic experience there is no question, FM7 and GT:S aren't even competition for PCARS2. PCARS 2 will hands down be the only real driving simulator (pun intended) on consoles. Assetto Corsa comes as a distant second.
I like arcade games as well though but there FM7 has no place for me, I enjoyed FH3 a lot and if in the future I'm in the mood for an arcade game I'll fire up that game, it's open world and at least doesn't pretend to be a sim. If for whatever weird reason I would be in the mood to play some FM then there is still FM 5&6 on my XBox.

But I guess the FM series have a place on the market. Kids who play Need for Speed or Forza Horizon and want something more serious might better first jump towards Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo before going for the real sims like Project CARS or Assetto Corsa. Otherwise the step might be a bit too big, I don't know.

Do you have to come in to every single Forza thread and explain to us why you're getting PCars2? Or how FM7 is just FM5.2? I've seen you do this not only on this forum but on the official FM forums too.

Dude, we get it, PCARS2 is the game for you. Let us discuss Forza rather than compare it to another game in every single goddamn thread.

Last edited:
Please tell me, at what resolution and framerate does PCars 1 deliver such features with? Not even PCars 2 can deliver it with such performance or resolution.

SMS is willing to sacrifice framerate to deliver features, Turn 10 are not.

According to these guys, pCars2 will run in native 4K on Scorpio with 60 fps.
https://www.gamersnet.nl/nieuws/201..._op_xbox_one_x_playstation_4_pro_nog_onzeker/

But i think everyone should stop with this pCars 2 vs. Forza 7 fight. As far as i can tell, both will be great.

I did not know you could form such a negative judgement on a game from a mere E3 presentation...still with 4 months worth of announcements yet to come.

No impressions at all on the audio? Come ooon! :irked:

Forza 7 had overhead at 4K with 4K assets, they then used that overhead to improve visuals; Forza 7 is using 100% of X1X.

Actually it's not; its been documented in various analytical videos on YT by leading sources, including one by DF, that there's still 30% power/resources left.

With Forza 7(on all platforms) we are getting:
  • 4K native(1080p native on Xbox One), 60 fps locked(New to Forza)

This is misleading - since when has FM not been locked at 60 fps apart from Forza 1 on the original Xbox?

@FordGTGuy why so defensive all the time when someone is saying something that you are not pleased about forza?

I got a solution for you, instead of battling it out with everyone about the framerate why not skip Xbox for racing titles at least. If you use your pc for say both Forza 7 and PC2 you will be "Winning"

Anyway...

The thing I like with forza 7 is that it has taken up the mantle form GT when it comes to being a car collection game and it gives you the forza twist by giving you the engine swap function and it will give you the ability to modify the body of the car, just like in old school nfs with car handling physics that is a bit more sim:ish with epic engine sounds to boot.

The only thing I want from Forza is that the wheel controls must very much improve, as it really stinks right now, it is even worse then games from a decade back from the past. And I am not even talking about ffb but the simple ability to steer the car. I don't want my car to start turning a second after I have turned, ie to much speed sensitivity in the input with lots of input lag. If they fix it it will be installed and used frequently on my sys when I want to relax and to enjoy a car no other game today has. Old civic turned to trackday supercar eater, here I come :)

Oh yeah, one more thing, have I mentioned about the rev counter needle? have I, have I? It "fracking" awesome :)

Actually it's not; its been documented in various analytical videos on YT by leading sources, including one by DF, that there's still 30% power/resources left.

During an interview (link below, 4:00 minute mark) Dan explained that there was a 30% of unused GPU power when they first ran the Forzatech engine on the Xbox One X. They used that amount of power to improve everything they could: shadows, textures, draw distance cars' LOD etc.

Last edited:
During an interview (link below, 4:00 minute mark) Dan explained that there was a 30% of unused GPU power when they first ran the Forzatech engine on the Xbox One X. They used that amount of power to improve everything they could: shadows, textures, draw distance cars' LOD etc.

Ah, they did, did they? Thanks for pointing that out.

The thing I like with forza 7 is that it has taken up the mantle form GT when it comes to being a car collection game and it gives you the forza twist by giving you the engine swap function and it will give you the ability to modify the body of the car, just like in old school nfs with car handling physics that is a bit more sim:ish with epic engine sounds to boot.

The only thing I want from Forza is that the wheel controls must very much improve, as it really stinks right now, it is even worse then games from a decade back from the past. And I am not even talking about ffb but the simple ability to steer the car. I don't want my car to start turning a second after I have turned, ie to much speed sensitivity in the input with lots of input lag. If they fix it it will be installed and used frequently on my sys when I want to relax and to enjoy a car no other game today has. Old civic turned to trackday supercar eater, here I come :)

Oh yeah, one more thing, have I mentioned about the rev counter needle? have I, have I? It "fracking" awesome :)

Right on! I enjoyed GT all the way form 1 to 5, but the moment I got a whiff of FM2 I was hooked. I continued to play GT however, but FM4 just blew it clean out of the water.

Anyhow, I have to ask you about the wheel: does every wheel in FM behave this way? I.e. laggy? And, is the issue just with FM this generation or the previous one as well?

Last edited:
Ah, they did, did they? Thanks for pointing that out.

Right on! I enjoyed GT all the way form 1 to 5, but the moment I got a whiff of FM2 I was hooked. I continued to play GT however, but FM4 just blew it clean out of the water.

Anyhow, I have to ask you about the wheel: does every wheel in FM behave this way? I.e. laggy? And, is the issue just with FM this generation or the previous one as well?

I have never played forza titles before fm6 with a wheel. Like you I was blown away with FM2. WOW, then came fm3 WOW, I had so much fun with my friends online, then came FM4 and it only felt like FM3 but with more cars. It was even a bit infuriated that some cars that you had in the 3third one you had to buy as a DLC... I dont have an Xbox one but I did try(we played a wheel to death) FM6 quite a lot with a TM wheel at pre party meetings at a friend. I thought something was odd with the wheel or something but then FM Apex came out, and it felt the same with my crappy g27, same feeling with the Horizon Demo.

Like I said, FM is epic with a pad but the feeling do not carry over to the wheel setup. I cant adjust to the input lag and the speed sensitivity.
But turn10 said that they are working on it so, I live on hope :D

Last edited:
I have never played forza titles before fm6 with a wheel. Like you I was blown away with FM2. WOW, then came fm3 WOW, I had so much fun with my friends online, then came FM4 and it only felt like FM3 but with more cars. It was even a bit infuriated that some cars that you had in the 3third one you had to buy as a DLC... I dont have an Xbox one but I did try(we played a wheel to death) FM6 quite a lot with a TM wheel at pre party meetings at a friend. I thought something was odd with the wheel or something but then FM Apex came out, and it felt the same with my crappy g27, same feeling with the Horizon Demo.

Like I said, FM is epic with a pad but the feeling do not carry over to the wheel setup. I cant adjust to the input lag and the speed sensitivity.
But turn10 said that they are working on it so, I live on hope :D

Yeah, hopefully they will resolve all wheel issues and even address some concerns on the pad (hate the speed sensitivity and the fact that your initial turn in is tied to speed and especially braking through an invisible wire). I brake late in Forza or brake at the apex, I am gone! The game just either understeers or oversteers uncontrollably. Just plain weird. But I have hope for F7, I think they should improve all things pertaining to control and give the user to remove all aids from the controller.

Yeah, hopefully they will resolve all wheel issues and even address some concerns on the pad (hate the speed sensitivity and the fact that your initial turn in is tied to speed and especially braking through an invisible wire). I brake late in Forza or brake at the apex, I am gone! The game just either understeers or oversteers uncontrollably. Just plain weird..
Not only that, but you get a strange canned FFB as the car does that thing. Well, at least in FM6:Apex.

I really really hope T10 make good on all their promises to up their wheel FFB game.

Forza7 E3 version:lol::lol::lol:
0PKlkOV.png
zZ4rKU7.png
SuxXCWx.png
X1OrTCS.png

Back