Forza Motorsport 7 E3 2017 Hands-On Impressions

Forza7 E3 version:lol::lol::lol:
0PKlkOV.png
zZ4rKU7.png
SuxXCWx.png

godamnit!! where'd all the jaggies go?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Are there any 4K gameplay shots ?

If you have 4K HDR TV,there is gameplay files you can download,direct capture,which shows true beauty of FM7,but i need time to find the links.
Trust me - you wont see even half of that on YT ;)
I am also on another forum and people were kinda sceptical about videos after E3,until they downloaded files and saw how this game looks in real.
Got em:
http://gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_7_e3_hdr_gameplay_2_hdr_only_-40290_en.html
http://gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_7_e3_hdr_gameplay_1_hdr_only_-40289_en.html

Not only that, but you get a strange canned FFB as the car does that thing. Well, at least in FM6:Apex.

I really really hope T10 make good on all their promises to up their wheel FFB game.

Yes, it's in all versions of H3 and FM6. I don't ever remember this annoying issue in F5 or H2.

Forza7 E3 version:lol::lol::lol:
0PKlkOV.png
zZ4rKU7.png
SuxXCWx.png
X1OrTCS.png

Just... ouch man! I can see myself playing F7 for hours, just eyeballin' that sky. :dopey: :lol:

Hopefully they've fixed up the lighting on other tracks as well. The lighting on Bathurst always killed me. Set at the early morning, and it just looks very average. Hopefully it's just during the normal day time now.

I'm so so happy FM7 is going to have a similar sky box like FH3, because the sky box in that game is so freakin' beautiful! It looks to have similar graphics like in FH3 judging by the pictures posted, and if that's the case, than I'm totally cool with it!

:D

Here's a little trickeroo: switch on the dynamic contrast setting on your TV to low and the sky looks even more dramatic.. aka. fake HDR! :dopey: :lol:

I think the sky is going to be a game changer in Forza 7. Finally, no more sun glare blinding out half the sky... yaaayyyy! :cheers:

It will be a nice step up, but part of me is afraid that tracks without dynamic weather will still use the old sky from the previous games. :nervous:

Hopefully they've fixed up the lighting on other tracks as well. The lighting on Bathurst always killed me. Set at the early morning, and it just looks very average. Hopefully it's just during the normal day time now.

The poorest looking tracks in FM6 were the those with low sun, no question. On the other hand, tracks like like Hockenheim, Brands Hatch, Lime Rock, VIR, Yas Marina, Homestead, etc. looked much more natural, and thereby more enjoyable to revisit.

It will be a nice step up, but part of me is afraid that tracks without dynamic weather will still use the old sky from the previous games. :nervous:
hmm that a valid concern. if you where turn10, would you not remove a couple of crowd patches, stands and trees in order to be able to shrink-fit the better sky technology you already have?
I understand -correct me if I understand wrong- that the reason you are thinking this is performance related?

hmm that a valid concern. if you where turn10, would you not remove a couple of crowd patches, stands and trees in order to be able to shrink-fit the better sky technology you already have?
I understand -correct me if I understand wrong- that the reason you are thinking this is performance related?

Not a performance concern. I'm only worried that tracks without dynamic weather might not have been reworked as much as we want them to be.

By the way, what happened to using proper capitalization in accordance with forum guidelines? You finally did it earlier today, and those posts were easier to read.

Not a performance concern. I'm only worried that tracks without dynamic weather might not have been reworked as much as we want them to be.

By the way, what happened to using proper capitalization in accordance with forum guidelines? You finally did it earlier today, and those posts were easier to read.
No he's been missing that for a while.

I would imagine since they're pushing 4k HDR that they'd probably want something to "pop" on the non-dynamic tracks. Hopefully it is implemented because that'll do wonders for me in photomode.

I think from the E3 demo the Mercedes truck in Mugello is on a track without dynamic weather, as well as the Dubai Porsche demo. Not sure how exactly those skies looked and CBA to look up the video again but it sure wasn't as overly dramatized as the GT-R at the Nurburgring with dynamic storms.

I would imagine since they're pushing 4k HDR that they'd probably want something to "pop" on the non-dynamic tracks. Hopefully it is implemented because that'll do wonders for me in photomode.

Yes, the jump to 4K and HDR is slightly reassuring here. Turn 10 may also want the game to look consistent across the board, especially when the environments are one of their biggest trump cards for this iteration. Then again, there are always those nagging surprises we don't get to see until printed copies begin leaking into public scrutiny.

Last edited:

I think tracks may roughly share the same skybox, tho? Unless they've gone the PD route and gave each track an individual skybox, which I doubt.

Love the new natural looks of the game - Forza's low levels of graphical fidelity's always been a pet peeve of mine. And there's no antialiasing like running the game at 4k, apparently. :lol:

I think from the E3 demo the Mercedes truck in Mugello is on a track without dynamic weather, as well as the Dubai Porsche demo. Not sure how exactly those skies looked and CBA to look up the video again but it sure wasn't as overly dramatized as the GT-R at the Nurburgring with dynamic storms.

Mugello in some demos did have a way of dynamic weather, but instead of rain, it was fog.

Mugello in some demos did have a way of dynamic weather, but instead of rain, it was fog.

True that, I saw the video as well after my post here. Not sure what that means, maybe fog will be a static map type now as well? Or else weather can indeed change at least from normal to fog as well.

About the Nurburgring weather I still think so far it's only dynamic storm though. I would be surprised if that could change to fog and normal weather as well (would be great if it was).

True that, I saw the video as well after my post here. Not sure what that means, maybe fog will be a static map type now as well? Or else weather can indeed change at least from normal to fog as well.

About the Nurburgring weather I still think so far it's only dynamic storm though. I would be surprised if that could change to fog and normal weather as well (would be great if it was).

Dan confirmed in an interview that fog is part of dynamic weather.

I like the idea of dynamic weather but developers have to be careful they get it right and don't take it too far. For example, in a real race if the weather is to much of a problem they will call the race off. Also, even though it's realistic, the thought of dynamic weather can ofter be better than having it in practice. I don't think I ever chose to drive in the wet in GT6 in a single race.

I think dynamic weather can be a big positive if handled the right way and if they steer clear of including conditions which are too extreme. In what we've seen it looks amazing from a graphical perspective, I hope that they nail the control of the car in those conditions though because some games just reduce the tyres grip which isn't right.

we should be getting some new impressions soon, because Goodworth fest

Here's ForzaLiveryGuy, says fanatec wheel very good:

I think dynamic weather can be a big positive if handled the right way and if they steer clear of including conditions which are too extreme. In what we've seen it looks amazing from a graphical perspective, I hope that they nail the control of the car in those conditions though because some games just reduce the tyres grip which isn't right.

This is how they said they handled rain physics in the previous Motorsports game.

IGN
“I like to believe that one of the reasons that fans have been requesting [wet weather and night racing] is because of the expectations of how Turn 10 and how Forza would do night and rain, in the simulator space,” says Greenawalt. “So we had a vision; we wanted to deliver rain the way that drivers experience it. The way that drivers think about it.”

“So specifically that’s not just about a little bit less friction and some spray on the windshield. Those are great effects and I think people appreciate that, but what this is about is the tension and the chaos that’s created by having puddles on the track and having real limited visibility.

“So, the things that we’ve done in rain I believe are unprecedented in gaming. We’ve got standing water that’s fully simulated on the track and, depending on the size of your tyres and how fast your angle of attack is, those tyres will aquaplane and you’ll be along for the ride.”

Greenawalt goes on to explain that it’s not just the reduced friction to consider either; the heat of your tyres is affected by the rain.

“And then of course there’s mist, not only coming off the tyres but just in the atmosphere,” continues Greenawalt. “You know, we’ve said that light and atmosphere are the key to next generation gaming and next generation visuals, and so on Forza Motorsport 6 you don’t only have the 3D puddles and have simulated rain on the track but you also have that visibility that’s based on real particulates being in the air.”

Greenawalt explains that, while determining just how rain impacts grip, the team discovered that the reason friction is reduced in the rain has a great deal to do with the porosity of any given surface type. That is, how many pores – or empty spaces, so to speak – there are in a certain material.

“[T]he amount of porosity affects how much the water actually pools there and how it affects friction,” says Greenawalt. “So we have over 148 different surface types that are driveable in Forza Motorsport 6 on any given rain track, and you’ll actually be driving across the numbers that we researched.”

“So it’s not just a reduction in friction, it’s a reduction based on the real science that people would expect from Turn 10."

“It’s actually the same physically-based material system that we have in [Forza] 5 and [Forza] 6, and in Horizon [2]. We have physically-based materials that affect how something looks, but also affects the characteristics of how it drives. So when you’re driving on what looks like a normal road, even as you’re just going straight down the middle of the road, you’re going to be shifting from concrete to tarmac, to sealant. It’s going to go in and out of shadow and heat; a lot of things are changing and we’ve done the research so as when that happens it has an accurate effect on the tyres.”

We chat briefly about the giant puddle on the first corner at Brands Hatch that fans noted in a brief bit of footage released during E3; it’s definitely a real puddle and you’ll definitely notice it if you drive through it.

“So first off our teams look through historic footage,” says Greenawalt. “We also went on site and we talked to drivers, and we looked at where puddles actually occur on the track. So they’re not randomly-generated; they’re actually based on the research.”

“And we were trying to replicate that kind of torrential downpour that happens occasionally at Brands Hatch, and when that happens you get really large scale puddles in these divots, because Brands Hatch actually has a fair amount of elevation to it.

“So the puddle you’re talking about in particular, it’s basically on the driving line. It’s quite big; it’s easily three times the size of a car width and it goes into the grass as well and covers the kerbing. And if you’re in a sport compact car, like an STi, all-wheel drive, you’re probably only going to be carrying, like, 50 miles per hour worth of speed through that corner. But that’s still enough so that’s gonna raise the front tyres off the ground when they first hit that expanse of water."

“If you’re in a really fast car, like a Ford GT that has really wide tyres or maybe a Corvette or something like that, if you hit it at a lower speed it will hydroplane more easily because it has a wider front tyre, but also because those cars carry so much more speed through the corners, even in the wet, that you’re gonna probably hit it at a much faster speed. So that means you’re gonna really raise the tyres off the ground.

“It’s going to slow you down because there’s higher rolling resistance that happens naturally through the simulation. You’re going to get a big splash of water, but again it’s not really a programmed effect; it’s a simulation. We look at the speed and the width of the tyre and we fully simulate what we believe should happen.”

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/08/...a-6s-rain-effects-are-unprecedented-in-gaming

hmm
I think that there are guys that are into racing, and for whatever their reason is, they are really missing out by dismissing forza.

ela @Dave A , I made this a few days ago for another subject, but check out what happens at 20'

if you cant understand the meaning of the green-red pointers and green-red circles I will explain, but I think its self explanatory.

and this video is not with all sim settings on. steering mode is set to normal -not simulation which would make a significant difference, and the tires are indestructible(they do not fade etc, always at 100%) and damage model is disabled.
oh, and JOYPAD not wheel.

Last edited:
@UKMikey and @mrPetros that's all promising stuff. Hopefully Turn10 pull it off again (I never played Forza 5 or 6 due to not owning an XB1) but with the titles now being available on Windows I'm keen to get back into the Forza series. Last one I played was 4 which I thought was great.

Latest Posts

Back