Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
I did use Free Play but was unable to pick a certain track, weather, etc. I was able to pick a car but that's about it. I went into race settings and tried to changed race length to 10 laps but then when free play started I was still restricted to the race length the system chose.

There's no more menus to just go from track to track? There's no more places to get liverys & tunes from? It's all about these mods now?
Well considering you just bought forza man, you just need to take time to figure it out..you will end up answering your own questions, it's not too hard of a game to figure out.

You have to press A, pressing B doesn't save any settings you've changed.

And tuning and painting is still there, it's under the "Cars" tab.

I thought I did press A but I'll check it again.

Well considering you just bought forza man, you just need to take time to figure it out..you will end up answering your own questions, it's not too hard of a game to figure out.

It's just so different from Forza 6. I wasn't expecting it to be so lost even for the first time I tried playing it.

I thought I did press A but I'll check it again.

It's just so different from Forza 6. I wasn't expecting it to be so lost even for the first time I tried playing it.
I mean you're right in the sense that theres more to this game compared to 6. I agree but give yourself a couple of hours and filter though all options and read carefully too. Also know there are a few bugs hidden within freeplay so you might run into a thing or two that just cant be worked around unless T10 fixes it.

Just in the couple of hours I've had with it I'm assuming you can't really just pick a track, pick a car, choose your race length and just race?
If you already have the car you want to race, get in it. For my race, I've chosen the 1967 Eagle-Westlake T1G. Then go to Single Player > Free Play > Setup > Race Setup. From here you can select the track (in my case, Spa); day, night or rain (if the track offers those options); number of laps; the number of drivatars; and the car division. Make sure under game type, you select Circuit Race. This is where you choose between a regular race, timed race, drag race, drift race, etc. When you've got it how you want it, then press A to accept the changes and go race. When the race is over, it will automatically send you to a different race track. If it's not where you want to go, just go back to the setup screen and change it. If the game insists you homologate the car to race it and you don't want to, go back to setup > advanced setup and change "allow upgrades" to "no".

One big bonus is that you can race any (non-DLC) car in the game, even if you don't own it. Under race setup, set the car division to "any", accept, then select car. From there, you have three options: race a car you already own, buy a car and race it, or rent a car for free (but you won't earn any XP or credits, and you can't modify the car).

Last edited:
If you already have the car you want to race, get in it. For my race, I've chosen the 1967 Eagle-Westlake T1G. Then go to Single Player > Free Play > Setup > Race Setup. From here you can select the track (in my case, Spa); day, night or rain (if the track offers those options); number of laps; the number of drivatars; and the car division. Make sure under game type, you select Circuit Race. This is where you choose between a regular race, timed race, drag race, drift race, etc. When you've got it how you want it, then press A to accept the changes and go race. When the race is over, it will automatically send you to a different race track. If it's not where you want to go, just go back to the setup screen and change it. If the game insists you homologate the car to race it and you don't want to, go back to setup > advanced setup and change "allow upgrades" to "no".

On big bonus is that you can race any (non-DLC) car in the game, even if you don't own it. Under race setup, set the car division to "any", accept, then select car. From there, you have three options: race a car you already own, buy a car and race it, or rent a car for free (but you won't earn any XP or credits, and you can't modify the car).

I had found where to change the length of the race and I had forgotten that Forza isn't like other racing games where you set the number of laps and it stays changed, in Forza you have to change it every single race.

Also I just finished another 90 minutes or so just looking around and I think I saw what you are talking about regarding changing the track. In setup there are thumbnails showing the tracks and you can scroll through them to select a different track.

Some of the cars feel like I'm driving on ice. The Ferrari Superfast bounced off of almost every wall at Spa. I don't know if this is related to the FFB change I've read about. I'm using the suggested Fanatec wheel settings for Forza.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Also I just finished another 90 minutes or so just looking around and I think I saw what you are talking about regarding changing the track. In setup there are thumbnails showing the tracks and you can scroll through them to select a different track.
I don't have the game up right now, but I believe scroll to one of the thumbnails, if you press X, it will show you all the variations of the track so you can further refine your choice.

I wasn't expecting it to be so lost even for the first time I tried playing it.

You're not alone it took me awhile to learn the UI especially after coming from titles like Automobilista and Corsa.

Actually got frustrated with it first time in free play it would not let me select anything other than experimental drag race.

You'll figure it all out, and I think they've done a good job mapping buttons on our Fanatec.

You're not alone it took me awhile to learn the UI especially after coming from titles like Automobilista and Corsa.

Actually got frustrated with it first time in free play it would not let me select anything other than experimental drag race.

You'll figure it all out, and I think they've done a good job mapping buttons on our Fanatec.

Did you also find a lot of cars to be very twitchy and sliding around like this:

What are your in game settings for the Fanatec? I'm using these for the V2.

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discu...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Yes I've definitely had strange low speed oversteer in some cars that should not be occuring, especially when you're on slicks and running down force.

I've heard it can be tuned out, usually I just lower tire pressure and soften the suspension. I have not tried adjusting diffs at all.

My biggest complaint is the horrendous AI with the cutting, dive bombing and multiple blocking moves on the straights.

You'll get a clean pass on the straights and think job done only to find them gaining tremendous speed and traction on corner entry resulting in a dive bomb.

It's sad but I only run them at their lowest setting because honestly it's no fun to race them and I'd rather just stay away.

That said, I keep coming back because some cars like the MX5 or Porsche GT3 are fantastic and the game is beautiful in 4K.

I'll post my settings when home this evening, you may not like them as in all the sims I run very light, subtle FFB.

Yes I've definitely had strange low speed oversteer in some cars that should not be occuring, especially when you're on slicks and running down force.

I've heard it can be tuned out, usually I just lower tire pressure and soften the suspension. I have not tried adjusting diffs at all.

My biggest complaint is the horrendous AI with the cutting, dive bombing and multiple blocking moves on the straights.

You'll get a clean pass on the straights and think job done only to find them gaining tremendous speed and traction on corner entry resulting in a dive bomb.

It's sad but I only run them at their lowest setting because honestly it's no fun to race them and I'd rather just stay away.

That said, I keep coming back because some cars like the MX5 or Porsche GT3 are fantastic and the game is beautiful in 4K.

I'll post my settings when home this evening, you may not like them as in all the sims I run very light, subtle FFB.

Yeah the AI really has too much A and not near enough I. They're going to their line regardless if you're there or not. I had forgotten how much I really don't like the AI system Turn 10 has. The everybody pile up and come to a stop at the first corner is ridiculous.

I usually don't run that many street or super/hyper in any game but take a test drive in the Jaguar F type and that Ferrari Superfast and both of them just slid all over the place. Ironically the Porsche GT2 RS was the most stable road car I drove. But even the BMW M8 GTLM car had it's moments where it wanted to get away from me.

Those suggested Fanatec settings I posted the link for are very light. I had to add another 10 to the in game FFB to try and tighten it up just a little.

Let's hope T10 will finally introduce the supposed AI overhaul this coming month. They still have yet to do that

How is this supposed to work? Drivatars are meant to mimic real-life players. Most real-life players drive like ass. In any case, they dont drive like professional race drivers and act far to aggressive. And i dont think this will cange as long as they hold on to that Drivatar concept.

How is this supposed to work? Drivatars are meant to mimic real-life players. Most real-life players drive like ass. In any case, they dont drive like professional race drivers and act far to aggressive. And i dont think this will cange as long as they hold on to that Drivatar concept.

There was always an AI underneath the Drivatars. I believe improving it could benefit things like situational awareness, while still retaining Drivatar behaviors.

As far as I can tell the AI needs work in 5 different areas in order for them to be the best or more realistic . Those include situational awareness ( realizing you and other drivers around them as well as track limits), braking zones(enough of the slamming on the brakes for no reason especially on turn 1), pit strategies( for longer races the AI should not need to hit the pits all within the first lap, keep it tight and competitive for multiple laps unless theres damages), overall performance of AI's car( the infamous straight line speed advantage needs to be squashed and drafting should be more of a thing from the AI), and mistakes( weird sliding off tracks in the same areas over and over again or slamming into walls has to stop). If they correct those issues the AI would be tons better.

If the game insists you homologate the car to race it and you don't want to, go back to setup > advanced setup and change "allow upgrades" to "no".

Can I get one make races like this? As up until now, I thought I had to revert my car back to stock (in the homologate menu) for the other cars to appear in a one make race.

Can I get one make races like this? As up until now, I thought I had to revert my car back to stock (in the homologate menu) for the other cars to appear in a one make race.
Yes you can. Go to Single Player>Free Play>Setup>Race Setup>Car Restrictions. From there, you can set "make" and "model" to any car you want. You can allow upgrades and tuning, but you can also limit those by setting max and min power, weight, etc. Car Restrictions is a very useful screen.

I just want the AI to not rubberband and not brake randomly at the start of a race.
I can't say I notice any rubberbanding, on unbeatable at least. There's only a couple of situations I notice:

If I'm winning, its consistent through the whole race and my lead only grows.
If they're winning and I can't catch them, they're lead consistently grows.
and lastly, there's usually 1 or two vehicles actually keeping pace. Not falling behind and catching up on a whim, nor are they leading and falling back on a whim.

I think it's less of rubberbanding and more of the infamous straight line speed that has been mentioned here that causes inconsistencies throughout many tracks.

If there's no rubberbanding, then I don't know what to call this:

Most likely exactly what I mentioned

infamous straight line speed

Either way, again, that's not rubberbanding. That's intentionally borking the Ai to force them into a class and power ranger that they have no right to be in.

The thing with this game is that it will give the Ai unrealistic power, which you can't obtain by normal upgrades in game - sometimes even outside homologation, if I remember correctly. Something which should have been painfully obvious if you look at how the cars launch off the line. Some are blasting off into space, that's also why they flip on almost every turn, because they don't have suspension modifications most of the time, or it at least seems that way. It was usually Horizon that the problem persisted, but it seems like its just as much a part of Motorsport.

Since I've only had the game 2 or 3 days now I'm starting on the ground floor with AI strength and going totally stock just for now until I get some idea of how things work in the game. If I play tonight I might try stepping up a level to see how much that improves AI behavior although I kind of doubt it does. To still have the demolition derby at turn 1 after the game has been out for this length of time is ridiculous. I've seen one AI car perpendicular into another one pushing it like a snowplow and it's happened to me once.

The handling thing is more troubling to me right now because I don't really have the confidence to try and go faster because some cars are very twitchy or just don't want to turn. I haven't downloaded any tunes yet so some of that might be tuned out when I do. Last night I had enough credits so I bought a Supercars Falcon and headed to Bathurst with it. Test drove it first with all assists on but still had several wrecks. Then turned off all assists like the car is supposed to be driven and had even more wrecks but went a little quicker overall than when assists were on. But there again the car's handling felt so bad like I was having to try and jerk it around corners to try and get it to turn but that would lead to the rear end letting go and into the wall I went or either out into the grass because I couldn't make The Chase.

86a77232-d8cb-4ec7-a619-4f62d0fed5ee.jpg

Is it just me, or do the cars running behind the (returning) Brawner-Hawk look like they're 2019-spec cars? :confused:

What solidifies this a little more is the fact that usually when T10 shows us the spotlight car(s) that's coming up, it usually shows the thumbnail of the car itself. This thumbnail has the main one being the brawner hawk but also silhouettes of other indy cars...could there even be the other ones from FM6 thrown in like the 1990 Chevy lola T90 and the 1964 Watson roadster?

The side pod height looks like the 2018 new aero. I hope they have better physics, we seem to get the oval car performance in the road course body since FM5.

Latest Posts

Back