Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
No FM8 this year, Halo Infinite is the big launch game this time. T10 has barely started development on FM8.
They entered a "second sprint" of development back in August. By December, they had done their first play test. It has been 4 months since that first play test news came out. In January, the first look was teased at potentially being seen last month at GDC. I think we are beyond "barely started" in development right now after 8 months since that "second sprint" news came out, though I definitely don't think they can release the game anytime now. Pretty sure optimizing & final testing are well down the road.

Hi guys, I would really appreciate your help for one of my friend.

In fact, I bought a Forza Porsche Elite Bundle not so long ago which contained a code for the Ultimate Edition of Forza Motorsport 7 (which I have too, so I gave it to him).

However, he entered the code two months ago but he is unable to play the game because neither is something installed on his console nor available on his Xbox Store.

Did someone already had such a embarrassing problem ?

How can he do, do you have any solution to help us ?

Thanks in advance.

Wrong. It's already been confirmed that FM8 is already playable after going through phases of development. Plus it had its first world play test at T10 where they tested out the game. Anytime now they can release the game, but obviously they are waiting for the Xbox Series X to launch first.

If you have no source to back up your claim, than not only are you wrong, but also you have no prove. No way T10 is gonna miss out this year. What you meant to say was no GT7 this year.
Sure they can release a safe and stale game that has to run on OG Xbox One as well, but I don't want that. 3 years is not enough to revamp all the crappy systems they've been using since FM2, we need a real refresh, new graphics, new physics, new multiplayer, new career, a good 60-70 tracks. No more half measures, with FM7 selling less than 1 million units they need something entirely new to capture the playerbase. The same old Fifa style approach won't fly anymore.

Sure they can release a safe and stale game that has to run on OG Xbox One as well, but I don't want that. 3 years is not enough to revamp all the crappy systems they've been using since FM2, we need a real refresh, new graphics, new physics, new multiplayer, new career, a good 60-70 tracks. No more half measures, with FM7 selling less than 1 million units they need something entirely new to capture the playerbase. The same old Fifa style approach won't fly anymore.

I disagree. You can only change so much about a game before it loses it's identity and becomes something it's not. Changing Forza into something that doesn't feel like Forza will turn off more players from the series than it being stagnant has. While I do think that the developers have had trouble finding a path for the series in recent years, I think it will turn out well from what they have said about the game already. I don't expect it to be perfect and it won't be but that's okay. They're reorganizing things and that's what needs to happen, not totally changing the identity of the series.

I'm pretty sure 7 sold more than 1 million copies, didn't it? At least globally.

I disagree. You can only change so much about a game before it loses it's identity and becomes something it's not. Changing Forza into something that doesn't feel like Forza will turn off more players from the series than it being stagnant has. While I do think that the developers have had trouble finding a path for the series in recent years, I think it will turn out well from what they have said about the game already. I don't expect it to be perfect and it won't be but that's okay. They're reorganizing things and that's what needs to happen, not totally changing the identity of the series.

I'm pretty sure 7 sold more than 1 million copies, didn't it? At least globally.
I'm not saying they should change it to an arcade racer or something like that, but it needs major improvements. The graphics from FM2 need to be thrown out, the wheel support needs to be thrown out and redone from scratch, AI - in the trash you go, sound - start from scratch, car models from FM1 - out, and so on. This will not change the identity but will make it in step with modern times. You don't see modern cars that are based on 2001 tech with a new coat of paint, same thing. As in any high tech field you need to innovate or your competition will eat you. And T10 has certainly been humbled this gen.

Well, that's an entirely different take from "barely started development" that Toko was challenging....

I think we are beyond "barely started" in development right now after 8 months since that "second sprint" news came out, though I definitely don't think they can release the game anytime now. Pretty sure optimizing & final testing are well down the road.
Agree and surely the engine & content teams were working on ForzaTech improvements and new content long before FM7 support was finished and FM8 development finally started.

As much as Im enjoying being back in Forza there is one thing that is a bit of a pet hate. Forza GT. How on earth in anyone's reality (or otherwise) can GTE/GT3/GT4/GT500 cars exist in the same class? That class should be broken up like the prototypes are (Forza P1 and P2). The class seems like a hodge podge of run what ya brung. As someone who lives and breathes sportscar racing it's just weird..

They should do GT1 (GT500 etc) GT2 (GTE etc) GT3 (GT3 etc) GT4 (GT4 and smilar). Not to mention that theres only one GT500 car (no Honda or Lexus). GTE is not bad-hats off to T10 for bringing in the latest RSR and the M8 but wheres the Aston and Ferrari 488?.

GT3 is pretty sparse
Aston is the latest GT3 car even though its last gen.
Audi is a good five years old
Bentley is the first gen model too
Ferrari 488 GT3? (or GTE for that matter)
McLaren is represented by the MP4-12C which is two generations old
You could argue that the BMW M6 is there as the DLC car is based on the GT3 car.
AMG is still represented by the SLS which has been superseded by the GT and the GT Evo
No Acura/Honda NSX GT3/Lexus RCF

Maybe there is licencing agreements with other games re the GT3 cars (Raceroom/Project Cars/ACC)
I'm still annoyed that they took all the GTS/GT1 cars out but I can see why as they're a good decade old and no longer race and if you wanted to replace them with the more modern GT cars then that makes sense. But in Forza 7 thats not really the case as there is some newer cars but a lot are just recycled from previous FM games. Hopefully Forza 8 brings with it an updated GT roster and a few extra classes.

There are quite a few new TCR class cars mentioned in FH4's files. I wouldn't be surprised if they're updating a lot of the classes to their current specs or at least within the last couple of years.

As much as Im enjoying being back in Forza there is one thing that is a bit of a pet hate. Forza GT. How on earth in anyone's reality (or otherwise) can GTE/GT3/GT4/GT500 cars exist in the same class? That class should be broken up like the prototypes are (Forza P1 and P2). The class seems like a hodge podge of run what ya brung. As someone who lives and breathes sportscar racing it's just weird..

They should do GT1 (GT500 etc) GT2 (GTE etc) GT3 (GT3 etc) GT4 (GT4 and smilar). Not to mention that theres only one GT500 car (no Honda or Lexus). GTE is not bad-hats off to T10 for bringing in the latest RSR and the M8 but wheres the Aston and Ferrari 488?.

GT3 is pretty sparse
Aston is the latest GT3 car even though its last gen.
Audi is a good five years old
Bentley is the first gen model too
Ferrari 488 GT3? (or GTE for that matter)
McLaren is represented by the MP4-12C which is two generations old
You could argue that the BMW M6 is there as the DLC car is based on the GT3 car.
AMG is still represented by the SLS which has been superseded by the GT and the GT Evo
No Acura/Honda NSX GT3/Lexus RCF

Maybe there is licencing agreements with other games re the GT3 cars (Raceroom/Project Cars/ACC)
I'm still annoyed that they took all the GTS/GT1 cars out but I can see why as they're a good decade old and no longer race and if you wanted to replace them with the more modern GT cars then that makes sense. But in Forza 7 thats not really the case as there is some newer cars but a lot are just recycled from previous FM games. Hopefully Forza 8 brings with it an updated GT roster and a few extra classes.

Same goes with the touring cars. I'd much rather see the BTCC, TCR and WTCC TC1 cars split into their own classes. The class system in for the race cars needs a complete overhaul and should be done like Project CARS 2 does it.

There are quite a few new TCR class cars mentioned in FH4's files. I wouldn't be surprised if they're updating a lot of the classes to their current specs or at least within the last couple of years.

... hopefully as every time I'm trying to get back to FM7 I can feel the same sense of mess that @notsofast has mentioned in his post

A 2020 GDC talk by Turn 10 1hour long.

Just from that video I can see how an SSD will help racing games and forza in particular in regards to streaming assets at high speeds. Also at the end the presenter said they want to move to a dynamic cloud system akin to RDR as opposed to the current sky capture tech they're using.

Last edited:
Just from that video I can see how an SSD will help racing games and forza in particular in regards to streaming assets at high speeds. Also at the end the presenter said they want to move to a dynamic cloud system akin to RDR as opposed to the current sky capture tech they're using.
I think T10 moving on from the sky capture would be much better for them imo. I don't know how to explain it, but something like that should stick to the Horizon series because that is open world, rather than Motorsport which is a track racer. Although it was pretty, for a sim like Forza Motorsport, I don't think it's needed.

Them going for a style more akin to RDR could be better, especially if it means adding a dynamic system like weather and day/night cycle.

I also like the part where they want to make the lighting, colour pallet and graphics more realistic in the next game, since FM7 did look bland in colour, as well as lighting. Loved what was provided in the presentation, and hope it all makes a big difference in FM8 once it gets revealed. :)

I think T10 moving on from the sky capture would be much better for them imo. I don't know how to explain it, but something like that should stick to the Horizon series because that is open world, rather than Motorsport which is a track racer. Although it was pretty, for a sim like Forza Motorsport, I don't think it's needed.

Them going for a style more akin to RDR could be better, especially if it means adding a dynamic system like weather and day/night cycle.
I think the idea is that sky capture is inherently limited in what can be done, they capture a frame every 10 minutes in realtime and interpolate between the images as time goes on.

You can see that the motion is not smooth and there's weird morphing and adjustment.

In RDR2 everything is smooth is affected by world lighting, position of the sun, and affects the world lighting itself. It's no doubt more performance heavy but gives better results in their pursuit of realism. And horizon will no doubt adopt the same technique as well. Sky capture was a decent solution for the underpowered Xbox One with crappy memory setup and slow GPU/CPU, but having true worldspace lighting and coherency between elements of the scene will yield much more realistic results.

Thank goodness I'm still working during this virus thing although we have reduced hours so that has given me more time to play racing games. Since I now have more time I've been exploring more cars.

One of the cars that I recently tried out was the Porsche Carrera from 1973 I think. When I was driving it at times it felt like the front end was coming off the ground like it was doing a wheelie. A few days later I was driving another car in that same class and that Porsche was a couple of cars ahead of me and indeed you could see the front end almost bounce up in the air into a wheelie.

Did that car actually do that in real life?

Hah, same here. I'm constantly jumping back and forth between Forza and Ride 3, then CARS2 and AC - and perhaps a little bit of DR.

A 2020 GDC talk by Turn 10 1hour long.

Interesting to see graphically Forza 5 & Forza 6 and in some cases, 5 is better like in Prague at 41:50. At 41:58, you see how the cherry blossom tree was removed in 6 and then at 42:05 how the tree "tunnel" was also removed. Who knew 3D trees would be performance hits?

I still think today the lighting isn't great at all despite weather/night additions. You see this alot in Forza 7. How many cars lights are so dim in night racing. I hope cars and track lighting are upgraded to GT Sport level and beyond in FM8 including amazing HDR. Great video nonetheless.

Interesting to see graphically Forza 5 & Forza 6 and in some cases, 5 is better like in Prague at 41:50. At 41:58, you see how the cherry blossom tree was removed in 6 and then at 42:05 how the tree "tunnel" was also removed. Who knew 3D trees would be performance hits?

I still think today the lighting isn't great at all despite weather/night additions. You see this alot in Forza 7. How many cars lights are so dim in night racing. I hope cars and track lighting are upgraded to GT Sport level and beyond in FM8 including amazing HDR. Great video nonetheless.
The engine sports high quality lighting with real time GI, but is heavily cut donw in Motorsport for the performance. Just see the lighting in Forza Horizon 4, it looks miles better than the one in Forza Motorsport 7 (look down all gameplay from FH4). The only tracks that feature a high quality lighting is Dubai track and Yas Marina. These 2 offer a much better lighting model than other tracks, the materials looks better also because of the lighting on those tracks. And hopefully they can simulate somehow ray traced real time lighting with accurate shadows en reflections.
49517395933_0db46aee28_o.png

49518156017_d08e7a1b1c_o.png

49517934701_5697874aef_o.png

49518180687_ef68b71c06_o.png

49441485182_cae8018689_o.png

49476092446_2d7e6826a3_o.png

edit: my pictures are bugging again, wil post later from imgur (flickr is bugging for me)

According to some sources, FM8 will finally have off road tracks!
My bet is that is the "New Experience" the devs teased a while back when they had their first studio wide playtest session. Not an open world aspect that so many people shouted about jumping to conclusions.
FM7 had some extra tire walls and barriers on the Top Gear Test Track in place of where Series 23's rally cross route went. So it may be possible rally in some form was cut from FM7.

My bet is that is the "New Experience" the devs teased a while back when they had their first studio wide playtest session. Not an open world aspect that so many people shouted about jumping to conclusions.
FM7 had some extra tire walls and barriers on the Top Gear Test Track in place of where Series 23's rally cross route went. So it may be possible rally in some form was cut from FM7.
Leave the open-world aspect to the Forza Horizon series.

This is the source that speaks about FM8 being a reboot, featuring rally/offroad with a new engine, and having a multiplayer (mode?) that's more akin to GTS.

Source

Mind you, this is a French site so you will need to translate it. It is supposedly a "rumor" by "Shinobi602" who is has long since been trusted in sources for years, but for now, take this one with a grain of salt.

However, since rallycross was basically cut content in FM7 (with sources like Top Gear featuring tire walls you can't get to, a piece of pavement that is gravel, etc.), I have this belief that rallying can (hopefully) indeed be a thing in the next Forza Motorsport.

Plus, as I said above, it'll be a reboot that gets a new engine to support rally/offroad racing. :)

Sounds like a bunch of crap, MS studios are usually very tight lipped and don't leak stuff, only days before E3 through external sources. I'm still adamant that FM8 won't release this year, but we'll see soon enough.

Sounds like a bunch of crap, MS studios are usually very tight lipped and don't leak stuff, only days before E3 through external sources. I'm still adamant that FM8 won't release this year, but we'll see soon enough.
If it doesn't release this year, than that will be on the Xbox Series X. The Xbox One version however, will release first and the Series X version later.

Either way, T10 had already confirmed FM8 is playable, so therefore it is likely to be releasing in some form this year. No way T10 is gonna miss out. They're no PD who takes forever to finish a project.

Last edited:
But the fh4 lego expansion was rumored about a month before the reveal, so its not impossible.
It was leaked through xbox marketplace error or something like that, quite different from these so called insiders and other fools begging for attention, I don't trust any of them, only an idiot would put his career at risk and face possible lawsuits in the process just to earn some internet points.

Either way, T10 had already confirmed FM8 is playable, so therefore it is likely to be releasing in some form this year.
Playable doesn't mean much, games are playable years ahead of release, they just said they were testing out new physics on a stable build. Plus all MS 1st party games will come out on Xbox One for next year or two. Who wants a new forza held back by the crappy XOne hardware at this point? It would mean no dynamic time of day again, no major improvement to the structure, amount of cars on track, no better audio, old car models and so on.

Playable doesn't mean much, games are playable years ahead of release, they just said they were testing out new physics on a stable build.
That still wouldn't change the fact that it releasing this year though. They went through two concept phases as of last year. If they, T10, can release a Forza game every two years, than them testing physics won't change anything. If they have to make a delay, than that would be due to the virus.
Plus all MS 1st party games will come out on Xbox One for next year or two.
Exactly. So what's the problem of it not releasing this year if it's guaranteed to come to XB1 regardless?

Last edited:
Playable doesn't mean much, games are playable years ahead of release, they just said they were testing out new physics on a stable build. Plus all MS 1st party games will come out on Xbox One for next year or two. Who wants a new forza held back by the crappy XOne hardware at this point? It would mean no dynamic time of day again, no major improvement to the structure, amount of cars on track, no better audio, old car models and so on.

FH2 was released on both 360 and XB1, that doesn’t mean they are exactly the same games though.

Back