Forza Motorsport 7: General Pre-Release Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,837 comments
Ireland
Codemasters (EA)
PJTierney
This is part of a series of threads to help display and organise the information and discussions about Forza Motorsport 7 ahead of its release. The full list of threads can be found here:

588f44f4-7281-4014-bac6-8691d569c621.jpg

This is a general discussion thread for things that don't really fit anywhere else, and aren't necessarily in-depth enough to require their own separate thread. A place to "shoot the breeze" if you will.

You all know the score; come in, hang out, and be nice to each other ;)

Last edited:
This is part of a series of threads to help display and organise the information and discussions about Forza Motorsport 7 ahead of its release. The full list of threads can be found here:

@SlipZtrEm

Here are the threads, go ahead and move/pin them into the Forza Motorsport 7 forum when you have time :)

From The Verge article, I think this is neat:

Lee’s small character team has funneled a ton of effort into creating absurd levels of detail for the now more prominent driver, by building out a catalog of racing suits, helmets, gloves, and more. The game has over 300 character designs, and about a week or more of work went into each. There are female and male models, and different “silhouettes,” or body types, for both, each of which took around five weeks to design.

What’s more, each one of the five discrete pieces that makes up a character (the helmet, the suit, etc.) has its own 4K asset. Zoom in on a helmet and you’ll see realistic scuffs and smudges on the visor — and on some special helmets, signatures that look like they were just Sharpie-d on.

Turn 10 has completely revamped its menu system to put an emphasis on showing off these characters. For example, the pre-race screen that shows up before you start a multiplayer race is now fashioned more like a loadout screen in a shooting game. There are menu options on the left, and your character stands swaying on the right, as if she’s itching to hop in and drive.

Characters will also show up at the ends of races, podium-style, with the winner front and center looking proud, and the third-place finisher turned slightly away from the camera as if they’re already plotting revenge. Your character’s look will even now represent you when you show up in friends’ games as “drivatars,” a feature introduced back in Forza 5.

That's really cool! Not really needed but pretty neat.
From the sounds of it it'll be preset items and elements, most likely with a colour selector.
In other words, you won't be able to use livery editor tools for a helmet.

That's fine by me though, and probably a lot easier for them in terms of moderation.

I'm thinking interactive avatar/drivatar. It's time for this feature(is it Drive Club that has first person interactions with the vehicle?)
- real time Pit stop driver changes with online friends?
- online friends tour your personal garage?
- interactive avatars in photo/drone mode?

As much as I'm exited for the game, I hope that "screenshot" workaround still applies in this as it did in Horizon 3. That watermark is...pretty bad, honestly.

Gonna spend a *lot* of time in photo mode this time around.

forzamotorsport7-e320sez19.jpg

Judging by the tyre barriers it looks like they're going with the same method to combat corner-cutting as they did in Forza Motorsport 6. In other words, no "sticky grass" and barriers at key cutting points.

Last edited:
I hate the tyre barriers in Forza 6. I can't see turns in some tracks and the AI is not fully aware of these barriers.

It's funny how AI get stuck in some random spot every-frickin-time. It makes me laugh and, sometimes, makes me win a race :lol:

I hate the tyre barriers in Forza 6. I can't see turns in some tracks and the AI is not fully aware of these barriers.

Me too. The barriers cause more crashes than fair racing and also change the feel of some tracks. Not that I would prefer sticky grass instead but what about a penalty system? It's like Turn 10 has decided that they want to write as little new code as possible. Lazy attitude from a team of their size. Turn 10's management seems quite ****ed up to be honest. Alan Hartman buying a new Ford GT has been one of their PR hot topics for several months now. Who cares?

Assetto Corsa has one employee writing code and he keeps improving the small things from patch to patch, such as the finer nuances in AI behavior. I don't know how big the Project CARS 2 team is in terms of manpower, but also they have been busy writing code for the smallest of things. Turn 10 has animated some camels for us to look at, while Playground Games clearly provided them with a better sky. As much as I appreciate Forza Motorsport, Turn 10's attitude is beginning to ruin it for me.

It's like Turn 10 has decided that they want to write as little new code as possible.

Of course they have. That's called "being employed". You don't do work that you don't need to, you spend the time doing work that you do need to.

Writing random code because you think it sounds cool or just for :censored:s and giggles is how you end up with GT5 1.01.

Of course they have. That's called "being employed". You don't do work that you don't need to, you spend the time doing work that you do need to.

Writing random code because you think it sounds cool or just for :censored:s and giggles is how you end up with GT5 1.01.

But Turn 10 needs to write or rewrite some code, that's the point!

Over 700 cars? fM6 dropped with what? 460 cars? Plus around 70 DLC cars if you count each NASCAR? So we should see around 240 new cars or cars brought back from previous Forza games? Can't wait.

I'm quite surprised at the lukewarm reception to the reveal. Each Forza has incremental changes with every new game; it's been this way since the second game.

Having such a consistent release cycle means that while you won't necessarily get a completely different experience every game, you do get minor changes which make it feel different. In this case it's driver customisation, more detailed animation (wings and wipers flapping around) and as per usual, a plethora of new content.

I could understand the skepticism of Forza 5 (and 6 to an extent), but saying the game is padded with out of date cars just because the initial trailer lacks any new ones is ridiculous. Turn 10 has done this 'car reveal over several weeks' since like the 4th game, and that usually throws in some surprises. It's nothing new.

I'm quite surprised at the lukewarm reception to the reveal. Each Forza has incremental changes with every new game; it's been this way since the second game.

Having such a consistent release cycle means that while you won't necessarily get a completely different experience every game, you do get minor changes which make it feel different. In this case it's driver customisation, more detailed animation (wings and wipers flapping around) and as per usual, a plethora of new content.

I could understand the skepticism of Forza 5 (and 6 to an extent), but saying the game is padded with out of date cars just because the initial trailer lacks any new ones is ridiculous. Turn 10 has done this 'car reveal over several weeks' since like the 4th game, and that usually throws in some surprises. It's nothing new.
what i don't understand is this game got the most varied car list in any game right now. People are just crying because 2 cars they like are not in the game. They pretend like 700 autovista quality cars is nothing special. I don't want 500 race cars in Forza, thats what makes Forza different from the competition. I want to drive road cars and hyper cars and thats what they give us :). Plus they wil probaly unveil more race cars in the coming week and later as DLC.

That's just the internet for ya. They love to judge before seeing the actual contents and features a game will have. Despite the unnecessary complaints over a simple trailer, I really love how T10 keeps on improving their games in each title, something some of these people are completely ignoring over looks, cars, etc.

Adding dynamic weather into the game is a HUGE step forward IMO, because it shows T10 is cooking up something really big for their future title, which should at least be respected by some. Baby steps people, remember that.

I just wish some people can actually appreciate T10's efforts instead of these other stuff they're currently crying about...

Never change Dan Greenawalt and Turn 10 Studios, cause if you're reading this, most of us here appreciate what you've done so far. :cheers:

I just gave the gameplay video another look, and what's up with the weather? It's a full blown thunderstorm directly above the Nürburgring. It's so over the top, like something from the action genre. I already said it back when FM6 released. Tone down the rain's intencity for a more immersive green flag experience. Now we have lightning strikes all over to make it even more ridiculous.

I obviously think they should have listened to such criticism. As for lightning, I could imagine that some distant flashes in between the clouds would be cooler than all the "unleashed fury", as Greenawalt puts it.

I just gave the gameplay trailer another look, and what's up with the weather? It's a full blown thunderstorm directly above the Nürburgring. It's so over the top, like something from the action genre.

Ever since Forza Motorsport 3, the visuals have been a bit more "Hollywood". It's probably a side-effect of being a technological showcase for Microsoft's consoles; easier to wow mass-market with "glory shots" than by something "real". "Photo real" can look washed out compared to what you typically find in videogames.

I think you answered your own question.

Outside of the impressive 4K HDR visuals we don't know a whole lot about the game so far:

• The car count is great (it's up there with Gran Turismo 4) but until the car list is revealed we can only guess at how much of that is new or "worth driving".
  • The only thing we know about Multiplayer is some vague wording about eSports and spectating. Nothing on flags, penalties, qualifying etc.
  • No word yet on if popular community features like the Storefront and Auction House will be included.
  • Customisable drivers is a good inclusion but we haven't seen it in action and only found out about it by scouring some paragraphs in blog posts.

In short we don't know enough about the game yet to "get hyped". Pretty cars and tracks is a given, that doesn't seem to excite us as much as a lot of us are focused on features.

There's plenty of time until the game launches, lots of potential for news/announcements.

--

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. There are a few things I need to know about before going all-in however.

Last edited:
Has anyone brought up the fact, that the weather conditions they've shown cars racing in, lightning specifically, usually result in a race being red-flagged for safety?

I don't see how motorsport fans can take this seriously when reality is being tossed out the window like that.

I think you answered your own question.

Outside of the impressive 4K HDR visuals we don't know a whole lot about the game so far:

• The car count is great (it's up there with Gran Turismo 4) but until the car list is revealed we can only guess at how much of that is new or "worth driving".
  • The only thing we know about Multiplayer is some vague wording about eSports and spectating. Nothing on flags, penalties, qualifying etc.
  • No word yet on if popular community features like the Storefront and Auction House will be included.
  • Customisable drivers is a good inclusion but we haven't seen it in action and only found out about it by scouring some paragraphs in blog posts.

In short we don't know enough about the game yet to "get hyped". Pretty cars and tracks is a given, that doesn't seem to excite us as much as a lot of us are focused on features.

There's plenty of time until the game launches, lots of potential for news/announcements.

--

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. There are a few things I need to know about before going all-in however.

Admittedly true; one could argue Forza is a bit too formulaic in that sense, but one could easily respond that it's still an enjoyable game each time.

I will definitely concede that there hasn't been as much info as past reveals, however I put that down to Microsoft trying to show off the One X more than anything.

Back