Forza Motorsport 7 Install Size Tips the Scales at Monstrous 100GB

Should be said, if not mentioned in the article, that only Xbox One X owners download the 4K versions of games; people with a normal Xbox One and Xbox One S will get a smaller version without the 4K assets.

I'm going to guess that when you hook up your external HDD to a Xbox One X with non-4K versions of games that they will update to the 4K version, I'm hoping we will have an option to download the 4K version before Xbox One X comes out.

Should be said, if not mentioned in the article, that only Xbox One X owners download the 4K versions of games; people with a normal Xbox One and Xbox One S will get a smaller version without the 4K assets.

Oh, interesting (and good to know!). Where was this confirmed?

Oh, interesting (and good to know!). Where was this confirmed?

I believe it was part of the Digital Foundry/Eurogamer tech reveal or said by an Xbox executive around that time; but I know for sure that only Xbox One X owners get the 4K version. I would guess it's part of the Xbox One X enhancement program where certain games will receive updates for Xbox One X that only Xbox One X owners get access to.

Now I will say that I have no idea exactly if this 100 GB number is the 4K version but considering Forza 6 is 50 GB I'm pretty sure it is.(I would guess that the normal version of Forza 7 is 60-70 GB.)

Wow, suddenly the 1 TB HDD of the X doesent seem THAT big anymore.

I think they expect the kind of person to buy an Xbox One X is the same kind of person that already owns an Xbox One with an external HDD.

Remember these days?

D47ipkB_d.jpg

And that's less than 20 years ago!

Why do you guys think its THAT big? FH3 with all the bells and whistles is 70GB, and that's open world stuff.

Why do you guys think its THAT big? FH3 with all the bells and whistles is 70GB, and that's open world stuff.

4K assets on tracks(unlike open world where they reuse a ton of assets(open world games have large biomes where you a much smaller amount of textures to cover a large part of the map) a game like Forza has wildly different environments that require wildly different textures; you can't use a texture from Dubai on a track in Virginia.), cars and more.

Forza Horizon 3:
  • Jungle
  • City
  • Desert
  • Snow
  • Hot Wheels

Forza Motorsport 7 has 30+ different environments and you can't even reuse textures for similar oval tracks as they recreate them as realistically as possible.

They are also using Photogrammetry to create a number of textures making them even more unique and taking up even more room.

Last edited:
Nope. This is for 1080p/Mid settings. It´s like that for every game i think.

What makes you think that ?

Forza Apex:

Recommended system requirements for 1080P / 60FPS

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 10 - version 1511
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 and 3.6 GHz
Memory: 12 GB RAM (4 GB VRAM)
Graphics card: Radeon R9 290 X / GeForce 970 or equivalent
Hard disk: 30 GB available space
DirectX 12
Microsoft Xbox One Controller

Ideal system requirements for 4K / 60FPS

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k and 4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM (6+ GB VRAM)
Graphics card: 980Ti / Radeon Fury X or equivalent
Hard Drive: SSD + 30 GB available space
DirectX 12

Last edited:
In any case, so Forza 7 is "so much more optimized" than Forza Apex that it only requires GTX670 to run FullHD
I still consider these specs a little strange

Good thing we'll have early access with the Ultimate Edition - I'll be spending all weekend downloading/installing the game!

(really only kidding - I have a 2TB external memory and should be fine).

Good thing we'll have early access with the Ultimate Edition - I'll be spending all weekend downloading/installing the game!

(really only kidding - I have a 2TB external memory and should be fine).
I bet ya it will be available for download days before the early access starts ;)
no worries about that

Nope. This is for 1080p/Mid settings. It´s like that for every game i think.

What makes you think that ?

Forza Apex:

Recommended system requirements for 1080P / 60FPS

Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 and 3.6 GHz
Memory: 12 GB RAM (4 GB VRAM)
Graphics card: Radeon R9 290 X / GeForce 970 or equivalent
Hard disk: 30 GB available space
DirectX 12

Ideal system requirements for 4K / 60FPS

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k and 4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM (6+ GB VRAM)
Graphics card: 980Ti / Radeon Fury X or equivalent
Hard Drive: SSD + 30 GB available space
DirectX 12

"Console peasant" calling in..

What do you think the recommended specs would be in order to run Forza Motorsport 7 at 4K/60fps with all graphical settings at Ultra?

I'm just curious as to what sort of PC would be required to run such a thing (although if I get Forza Motorsport 7 I'm getting an Xbox One X anyway).

I think we will see the official requirements in the next couple month.

The Apex ones should give an provisional point of reference.

I will give it it try on my pc and also try it on my Xbox One to see how it looks. But i´m sure i will also buy the X when it´s available :)

I don't care for 4K (yet), so what really amazed me is the recommended requirements! I'm so happy to see such lite numbers!!

Knowing that makes me glad that I bought an external harddrive for my Xbox One and I'm not getting the Xbox One X version.

I don't care for 4K (yet), so what really amazed me is the recommended requirements! I'm so happy to see such lite numbers!!

You don't need a 4K TV or play at 4K to get the benefits of 4K assets, they will look much better even on 1080p.

Back