Forza Motorsport 7's Dynamic Weather System Offers a More Visceral Experience

"Giese reveals that players will have full control over the weather settings in Free Run on supported circuits"
Looking forward to have more details about this. Also, on those "supported tracks", we're constantly keeping rain tyres on, right?

Someone else was saying last week in one of the threads, that the rain at tracks is going to be like weather patterns in real life. You're probably not going to see rain in places like Dubai, Laguna Seca etc, that hardly ever see rain in real life.

i have no performance problems with Project Cars... i like the gameplay elements more from PC then a better graphic or more cars ;)
Thats exactly why i like Forza and AC much more than pc1 as they have whole package ;)

E3 reminded me how 🤬 the industry is. Dynamic weather was a thing more than 10 years ago. Then we got hardware allowing for full HD and 60 FPS, but thereby previous advancements had to be sacrificed. Better hardware yet again and now we can finally have all the elements come together. God knows how many compromises the leaps of the next generation will bring. At least Forza is clever enough recycle some assets in the process, but now we have GT Sport emphasizing super premium models. In the late 2000s people were led to believe that premium models were built for the future. We're running in circles and I'm tired.

So you can only control the weather in Free Run? That's what I'm getting from this. If so, that's ********.

"...on supported circuits"

So, not all of them? I'm misreading that, right?

It was confirmed elsewhere that not all circuits will support multiple weather conditions.

Do we know which will and which won't?

For Forza Motorsport 6, we didn't know similar info until late August: https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_gone_gold

We probably won't know the same until late August this year (or mid September when the game goes gold).

E3 reminded me how 🤬 the industry is. Dynamic weather was a thing more than 10 years ago. Then we got hardware allowing for full HD and 60 FPS, but thereby previous advancements had to be sacrificed. Better hardware yet again and now we can finally have all the elements come together. God knows how many compromises the leaps of the next generation will bring. At least Forza is clever enough recycle some assets in the process, but now we have GT Sport emphasizing super premium models. In the late 2000s people were led to believe that premium models were built for the future. We're running in circles and I'm tired.

It's a tough cycle. Yeah, dynamic weather was a thing two generations ago with TD Le Mans, but the graphic requirements were much lower then too. Even looking past graphics, the weather systems have grown in complexity since, and that requires a lot more work.

Personally, I'm more than fine with the graphics of current-gen racing games, and the model fidelity of games from GT6 through DC and Forza. PCARS as well. I really do hope from here to the next generation, graphics stay more or less level — maybe some improved shaders here and there — and the focus changes to features. GT Sport looks more than good enough to fool people into thinking it's real, and while FM7 isn't quite there in terms of realism, we're talking tiny fractions, and it still looks stunning in person.

So you can only control the weather in Free Run? That's what I'm getting from this. If so, that's ********.

From our understanding, it'll also be selectable in things like private lobbies, or any areas where players are typically given that level of power. The main gist of the point with our question was that career races will throw dynamic weather at you, exactly like GT6 did.

For Forza Motorsport 6, we didn't know similar info until late August: https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_gone_gold

We probably won't know the same until late August this year (or mid September when the game goes gold).

PJ, when will T10 be able to elaborate more on this Free Run mode? I assume it's another name for Freeplay? I've been asking for an ability to pick any car and any manufacturer (not custom) color from the start, like in PCARS. Do you have any insights you can give on that?

Yeah, dynamic weather was a thing two generations ago with TD Le Mans

3 generations ago; F1 97 had dynamic weather.

PJ, when will T10 be able to elaborate more on this Free Run mode? I assume it's another name for Freeplay? I've been asking for an ability to pick any car and any manufacturer (not custom) color from the start, like in PCARS. Do you have any insights you can give on that?

If I were to guess (because that's all I can do based on patterns from the past):
  • If they're making big changes to Free Play they'll do a blog article, probably around late August.
  • If they're making little to no changes you won't know until launch, or if Dan Greenawalt answers a Twitter question.

For anything we don't know now about any in-game feature, we probably won't know until Gamescom (late August). Turn 10 will most likely start posting car reveals soon, a batch every week for 5-6 weeks if previous games are anything to go by.

I thought it wasn't dynamic.?

I read one of the digital Foundry guys saying that the weather on the nurb track changed like it does in the exact same way on every single race.

I thought it wasn't dynamic.?

I read one of the digital Foundry guys saying that the weather on the nurb track changed like it does in the exact same way on every single race.

It's still unclear. DF initially said it was dynamic but then edited the piece to say that it may just have different levels of baked lighting. They need to do more analysis to be sure.

So from reading the posts its all BS again from T10 and just PR Talk.
Besides the handling model most likely benefitting pad players again.

They also didnt fix the wheel animations.

I skip FM this year and go with PC2.
The current way the industry behaves saves me Money atleast

Oh look another person that literally came to a random Forza thread to say they were going to buy PC2.

Oh look another person that literally came to a random Forza thread to say they were going to buy PC2.
Im like the second highest reward level in Forza Hub so i literally played every single Forza Title. I also said that all of this smells like PR and when the Game drops the new feature isnt available on all tracks. The handling hasnt been fixed. So im free to address this and say im moving to PC2.

Im like the second highest reward level in Forza Hub so i literally played every single Forza Title. I also said that all of this smells like PR and when the Game drops the new feature isnt available on all tracks. The handling hasnt been fixed. So im free to address this and say im moving to PC2.

How is it PR if it isn't available on all tracks?

It doesn't make sense for certain track to even have these weather effects, like in Dubai.

Not sure what the handling has to do with a thread about dynamic weather.

Bottom-line, they are not the same type of games and I don't even consider them an either or.

One has no upgrading, small car list, doesn't prioritize a locked 60, isn't built with a controller in mind and the racing is completely different.

Seems to be quite a bit of players already huh, maybe you should consider it as well. :-)

If they fix controller support so it doesn't handle like crap out of the box and actually fix the framerate... I might.

Otherwise... that's a big no.

so I guess that you didnt really read much, and going just by ...hunch? but why? :D
turn10 has done 2 things especially for you: 1) they're adding a new AID, one that does not let your rubber lose traction when going WOT across different materials with radically different friction coefficients (of course this "magic glue" aid works also for a single surface, but I think the "hardcore" problem is basically what I wrote first). 2) they have specifically metioned many times that they are going through wheel implementation again. The fact that they are adding basically every existing wheel support on PC, well, thats proof also that it aint "marketing speak"

I guess all those people that like to yell when they cant hold the car on the road, those that like to call themselves "hardcore simracers" will be very happy with these additions.
maybe they'll suit you too just fine. should at least try the demo ;)

Last edited:

How can you judge a game when you haven't even played it? Or at least tried its demo? If you want to skip FM7 for PCars 2, go right ahead as nobody is stopping you. For me, PCars (as a game) takes itself way too seriously for me to enjoy it, and the fact it was not friendly to pad users currently has me avoiding it (last straw after Shift 2 Unleashed). Not my type of game that lacks imagination imo.

I'm a person who is in between both causal/hardcore, but I do not prefer games that bore or frustrate me. Instead, I prefer games that are fun and imaginative that is where Forza comes in.

As far as i can tell, this is no true dynamic weather. What we saw at E3 was scripted for sure. Basically, a rainy race still remains a rainy race, like in Forza 6. The only difference is that now, the rain will change during the race. It will even stop at some point. But the road will remain wet. Its great to look at, but i'm affraid it will be predictable. With true dynamic weather, the conditions should be different any time you start a race, with the rain coming and going as it pleases. However, it seems you wont be able to switch to intermediates, full wet tyres or normal tyres so i bet it will always rain tyres under pretty much scripted conditions. Maybe i'm wrong, we will see.

Back