Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,189 comments
Oh .... I see, sorry to hurt your feelings 🤦 it would be stupid to turn this into "casual insult fight" on internet but i'm genuinely surprised how some of my friends have more or less same experience on Series X yet here your FINE machine can play it perfectly smooth 🙂

I did try it again and only thing i'm glad it's solved now with updates is the career reset but have to say the visuals still look meh even on new OLED LG TV 🤔
Nah, but seriously - the game has issues, there's no denying it, but some problems (like patchy framerates or long load times) only show up for some people, in a way that's hard to explain without evoking the terms "silicon lottery"...

Quick li'l question, does time of day affect temp and car performance?

I think the grip went down a bit during night time, and also it seemed worse during rainstorm (The maximum rain level all to the right of the selection) during night time than during daylight. Also I noticed, the car had more or less HP and TQ depending on the weather.

It seemed marginal but it could just be my soon 40 y.o. tired eyes playing tricks on me.

Last edited:
Quick li'l question, does time of day affect temp and car performance?

I think the grip went down a bit during night time, and also it seemed worse during rainstorm (The maximum rain level all to the right of the selection) during night time than during daylight. Also I noticed, the car had more or less HP and TQ depending on the weather.

It seemed marginal but it could just be my soon 40 y.o. tired eyes playing tricks on me.
I'm not so sure about power outputs, but definitely time of day and temperature makes a significant difference in grip available. While doing some running around Lime Rock to get my car levels up, scaling time to 24x to go into night, I'm usually around 0.75-1.5s a lap slower than earlier in the race, and I find I can't just go around the corners as quickly.

I agree the cars in GT7 look good, and in a sense cars in FH5 also look better than FM. But again I think those other games are actually unrealistic in that if I look outside at real cars, they don't have strong clear reflections, at least not in the conditions here today (quite bright sun, but a lot of cloud as well). They look a lot more like FM than FH5 or GT7, but I think those games look good to most people because they've intentionally dialled up elements that they've found cause people to think it looks good.

This is ACC (left) vs real life onboard footage (right). The real life footage has so much less contrast and saturation. It also shows another of my pet peeves about driving games, which is interiors being far too dark, partly because of the excessive contrast. I swear people would say it looks bad if someone released a driving game that looks exactly like the real life onboard footage, but that is kind of what has happened with FM.

View attachment 1334827

What GT7 does really well is the natural lighting and reflections on cars, I find it the most accurate depiction of real life of any of the sim's I've played.
Where GT7 to me falls flat is the environment, to me it all seems very uncanny valley, too much contrast makes the colours look too lush and many of the surfaces look too flat because of it.

I certainly think FM has gone for a specific aesthetic that hasn't sit well with a large proportion of the audience, but is possibly a more accurate representation of reality, it just doesn't look as pleasing to the eye.

As an example, here's a onboard from the local track where I used to live, I've done a few track testing days on this track (Pay $20 and drive around for 30mins). Notice the dry brown grass, and especially the haze as you take a turn towards the sun

And what got me thinking about this was this video of TA cars that popped into my feed, again brown grass, and a general haze in the air.

I feel that this aesthetic has been done quite well, even though it's not as pleasing to the eye in game.

Maybe next Week is Update 6 coming...

RolexGTP is usually spot on with their predictions, and I think they suggested we might get a blog post Friday or Monday.

What GT7 does really well is the natural lighting and reflections on cars, I find it the most accurate depiction of real life of any of the sim's I've played.
Where GT7 to me falls flat is the environment, to me it all seems very uncanny valley, too much contrast makes the colours look too lush and many of the surfaces look too flat because of it.

I certainly think FM has gone for a specific aesthetic that hasn't sit well with a large proportion of the audience, but is possibly a more accurate representation of reality, it just doesn't look as pleasing to the eye.
In theory, the RT AO and Reflections in FM should make it accurate, but I think where it's falling down might be in the material modelling. I just tried painting a car myself, and it doesn't seem to have a standard metallic paint finish you can use. There's metallic flake, but the flakes are over the top. I ended up using two tone polished, and when used on the track it gave a passable resemblance to metallic paint, but I agree it's not quite 100% there. The handling of light should be accurate, so my feeling is it's the material characteristics that the light is being applied to that are the problem.

I reckon any shared code between the FM and FH series was branched a long time ago now. There are just so many differences between FM and FH5. The class names are different, the tuning parts and settings are different. The way you jump to a manufacturer when buying a car is different (much worse in FM than FH5). The bumpers don't wrap around in FM but do in FH5, i.e. you sort by class then do LB which should wrap to the lowest class but it doesn't. You can't sort your cars in FM by how recently you got the car. Etc. It just all seems to me like they now have two separate code bases and it's really hard for them to take individual features across from FH to FM. So my feeling is that PG has done something with paint finish modelling between FH4 and FH5, and it hasn't found its way into FM, and FM is behind in that regard. An example of a car that looks amazing to me in FH5 is the #34 Supra Formula Drift car's default livery. I'm not sure there's any way to create a paint finish that looks like this in FM.

fh5 34 supra.jpg

I just did a comparison of a spot on Nordschleife, comparing a photo against FM. I can't match the camera position as the game doesn't let you go any higher, or outside the barriers, but it's a reasonable comparison. There's a noticeable difference in the greens, it's possible it's due to camera brand. If the photo was taken with a Canon, while T10 captured their images with a Sony, that's the kind of difference in green rendition that you see between those brands. Canon is felt to have better green rendition, so if a company is using Sony equipment to capture images for this purpose, they probably ought to be aware of the issue and colour grade their images. For me personally, the game looks similar enough to the photo that it doesn't bother me when playing the game, but when I look at the two together, the small difference in colour rendition does jump out at me.

fm nord game.jpg

fm nord photo.jpg

Most people just are not used to watching things in monitors/TV set to calibrated settings with warmer tones which approximate reality and opt for the vivid settings that are set to cool which makes the image "pop" more and think accurate settings are "dull", "washed out" or "reddish".

Looking forward to it. I hope as these updates keep rolling out starting with this one, they eventually add to the career with PERMANENT race series/events. These rotations is cool and all but I think we need a couple dozen more say every few months thats stays put along with retaining reward cars.

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. I hope as these updates keep rolling out starting with this one, they eventually add to the career with PERMANENT race series/events. These rotations is cool and all but I think we need a couple dozen more say every few months thats stays put along with retaining reward cars.
Can we already pretty much make the races in free play now? I hear you on adding the events permanently. Really shouldn't be any different if there's 15 championships in the "career" or 500. They really should just add the ability to make championships.
Their rinse and repeat career, if we can even call it a career, is pretty mundane.
Retaining reward car championships is a no brainer. I dislike that they would do this. On top of that, you should have to finish in the top 3 to earn the car. When the mundane championship has no merit to your performance and where you place, it takes all the steam out of the process even more so.

I hope at some point FM will go to FSR 3 to see if that helps with its RT presentation (on the Series X, anyways), because the reflections off the cars have very poor resolution vs the cubemaps in the Performance mode. Also, we need to get out of that dull and static garage/studio... the other day I casually launched FM6 and the balcony in Rio just destroys it.

I hope at some point FM will go to FSR 3 to see if that helps with its RT presentation (on the Series X, anyways), because the reflections off the cars have very poor resolution vs the cubemaps in the Performance mode. Also, we need to get out of that dull and static garage/studio... the other day I casually launched FM6 and the balcony in Rio just destroys it.
The second homespace in Forza Motorsport 6 (a race garage) is also nicer.

Seems like they're not doing a forza monthly in march.

Zonda Cinque Roadster's gonna be interesting. Based on the car pass leak, we may be getting the best wave as a closure to the car pass:
  • 2022 McMurtry Speirling
  • 2019 Toyota GT86 TRD (The facelifted one)
  • 2020 Lexus #14 Vasser Sullivan RC F GT3
  • 1986 Lotus #12 Team Lotus 98T :bowdown:

This is from months ago theres several on here that were leaked that still hasnt made it in that are in bold and im betting some of these make up the last 3 car pass spots.
I'll speculate thet the Camaro TA, Alfa Giulietta BTCC and RT24-P will be the last 3 Car Pass cars.

Last edited:
Does that make 30? It seems like theres a few more after those that were not leaked exactly
We got 25 as of Update 6, including the leaked ones.
23 cars have been revealed in the Car Pass, which leaves seven cars remaining. The Car Pass started on October 5th and will end on April 25th.

1. 2018 Volkswagen #22 Experion Racing Golf GTI
  2. 2019 Dodge #9 American V8 Road Racing TA Challenger
  3. 1999 Nissan #23 NISMO Clarion R391
  4. 2020 BMW M2 Competition Coupe
  5. 2017 Oreca #38 Jackie Chan DC Racing Oreca 07
  6. 1991 Ford #15 Roush Racing Whistler Mustang
  7. 1965 Lotus #1 Team Lotus Type 40
  8. 2019 McLaren #03 720S GT3
  9. 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT3
  10. 2019 Peugeot #7 DG Sport Compétition 308
  11. 2018 Chevrolet #23 Ruman Racing TA Corvette
  12. 1985 Buick #6 Performance Motorsports Somerset Regal Trans-Am
  13. 2021 Cadillac #31 Whelen Engineering Racing DPi-V.R
  14. 2018 Lamborghini #63 Squadra Corse Huracan Super Trofeo EVO
  15. 1983 Porsche #11 John Fitzpatrick Racing 956
  16. 2019 McLaren Senna GTR
  17. 2019 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione 488 GTE
  18. 2022 Aston Martin Valkyrie AMR Pro
  19. 2019 Cadillac #57 TA CTS-V
  20. 1965 Lotus Team Lotus type 35
  21. 2015 Cadillac #3 Cadillac Racing ATS-V.R
  22. 2018 Ford #98 Breathless Pro Racing TA Mustang
  23. 2020 Audi TT RS Coupe

Then with these, that potentially leaves us with 27 known Car Pass cars, provided they're actually confirmed, with three unknown cars left.
  • 2022 McMurtry Speirling
  • 2019 Toyota GT86 TRD
  • 2020 Lexus #14 Vasser Sullivan RC F GT3
  • 1986 Lotus #12 Team Lotus 98T

Last edited:
Since things are being carelessly leaked and I can't do anything about it, may as well just post the list of plaintext car labels referenced in the files. The devs will likely start cleaning these things up or encrypting them soon anyway.
ALF_11_GiuliettaBTCC_18
AST_98_V8Vantage_17

CAD_57_CTSVTA_18 (TA being Trans Am, like the Challenger we recently got)
CHE_3_CamaroTA_18
CHE_14_Monza_77
CHE_24_Hendrick3rd_17
FOR_22_Penske2nd_17

FOR_98_MustangTA_18
LAN_Delta_92 (potentially just a FH leftover)
LEX_14_RCFGT3_20
MAZ_55_RT24P_18
MCL_01_720SGT3_19
MCL_SennaGTR_19
MER_71_AMGGT3_18
PEU_7_308TCR_18
VOL_C30Polestar_13
[/SPOILER
This is from months ago theres several on here that were leaked that still hasnt made it in that are in bold and im betting some of these make up the last 3 car pass spots.

Last edited:

"Forza Motorsport Update 6 introduces significant changes to Car Progression that give you the freedom to build cars your way. Career Mode welcomes the Combustion Tour and 4 Spotlight cars that invite you to explore different engines, and 4 more new-to-Motorsport vehicles are headed your way via Car Pass. All this and more available when the update goes live!"

Seems like the spotlight cars will be with different engines.
The Cinque seems to cover the v12.

"Forza Motorsport Update 6 introduces significant changes to Car Progression that give you the freedom to build cars your way. Career Mode welcomes the Combustion Tour and 4 Spotlight cars that invite you to explore different engines, and 4 more new-to-Motorsport vehicles are headed your way via Car Pass. All this and more available when the update goes live!"

Seems like the spotlight cars will be with different engines.
The Cinque seems to cover the v12.

Hmm.... so what will the other 3 be :🤔
Let the guessing begin. I'm going with...
Hybrid
v6 or v8, starting with a
Wankel I hope... Return of the Cosmo? :drool:

I think it's lame T10 use RTGI in marketing shots when it's not available in game still! (look at the inside of the tyre for obvious bounce lighting) Also they are using diffuse RT reflections instead of the cheap mirror like ones in game.

GGt4KfaWUAApj-6 (1).jpg
GGt4LPSXQAAGf-G (1).jpg

Also.

Why does the GT4RS sound so poor in FM23 when it sounds pretty darn good in FH5?

Last edited:
I think it's lame T10 use RTGI in marketing shots when it's not available in game still! (look at the inside of the tyre for obvious bounce lighting) Also they are using diffuse RT reflections instead of the cheap mirror like ones in game.

View attachment 1335529View attachment 1335530
The AO is significantly better too.
There are no annoying drop shadows in the marketing shots either.

The Paint quality seems to match that one C8.R garage shot from the old trailer.

Seems like there are a lot of graphics options deliberately locked away. Maybe its too demanding or might just be spaghetti code again

Also.

Why does the GT4RS sound so poor in FM23 when it sounds pretty darn good in FH5?

It sounds horrible in this game but just like dozens of other cars its no surprise. Its T10s poor sound design currently

Last edited:
The AO is significantly better too.
There are no annoying drop shadows in the marketing shots either.

The Paint quality seems to match that one C8.R garage shot from the old trailer.

Seems like there are a lot of graphics options deliberately locked away. Maybe its too demanding or might just be spaghetti code again
They should make them available for the PC version at the very least. They said RTGI is coming but the rest...hmm

Comparison posts like this always make me curious so I felt like checking this out for myself. Not many people may know this but the RTGI is already present but disabled - it can be toggled through file edits, although the effect definitely isn't as strong as that official pic.

Same position on track but with a fancier looking time of day:
1710020487691.png

I can't replicate the nicer blurred reflections but this could just be a setting that I'm not aware of so far:
1710020547314.png

Was curious about the tire wall in the background though, in the official shot (and in my game, even without modding) the AO is much nicer where the tires meet the sand, making the wall look way more realistically placed in the scene. Is your shot from console? I wonder if the RTAO is weaker or missing there.

I noticed that something from FM7 has carried over to Motorsport, some cars either in front or in the mirrors will appear to be solid colored then all of the sudden the user created livery will pop onto it. It's slightly distracting because you're not expecting it but at least it's not going off and on like a strobe light.

Back