Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 13,646 comments
Each featured tour lasts 6 weeks in total (it opens 1 series per week, then you get 2 weeks after the next patch where the entire tour is open and you can continue to race it).

I think nearly everyone sees this as unnecessary, but I guess it's their approach to ensure player engagement to meet their Gamepass targets.
Ironically it's driven me off instead. Missing one was very demotivating, now it's hard to care much about the rest.
If the game was appealing enough to naturally keep people playing long-term, there wouldn’t be a need for FOMO mechanics.
Unfortunately I do think it is appealing enough to play long-term, but much like FH5 I get burnt out trying to play specific events on a set schedule. I just want to do free play, but I don't want to miss the cars. So instead I do the events, get tired of playing, and take a break. Then there's more FOMO events. It's a never-ending cycle of things I don't want to do, keeping me from doing the things I do want to do. It becomes a chore.

FM is better about it than FH5, but putting it off for a couple weeks just means I have more to do next time I do pick it up.

I don't really like the career mode of FM simply because I'm not a fan of the short races. I want to go do 1-3 hour races in free play, against the AI which is far more interesting for endurance racing than in Gran Turismo. I don't want more career mode at this point, I want to just buy the cars when I want to use them, but instead I need to obtain them on T10's schedule. It's not fun. (It doesn't help that every time I load a new track, it increases the odds that the performance will degrade to the point that I need to relaunch the game...)

The best I can really do at this point, if I want to enjoy the game, is accept not having these time-gated cars. Something I don't really want to do, because there's some great cars locked behind it. But what does it matter if I won't get a good opportunity to use them, with how much I'm stuck to T10's scheduled events?

A good remedy for this that its not too late for T10 to implement is to have the FOMO cars available for purchase. If the events rotate so be it, thats fine. But if a player does not go through the events in the timely fashion and does not obtain the car for free through the events alone then allow us to buy them full price instead. Thats the best of both worlds, they can retain their rotation schedule for events only but allow players who missed out on the car for free to still obtain the reward cars using credits.

A good remedy for this that its not too late for T10 to implement is to have the FOMO cars available for purchase. If the events rotate so be it, thats fine. But if a player does not go through the events in the timely fashion and does not obtain the car for free through the events alone then allow us to buy them full price instead. Thats the best of both worlds, they can retain their rotation schedule for events only but allow players who missed out on the car for free to still obtain the reward cars using credits.
Maybe have it so that during the period the career events are up, that’s the only way to get the car, but once those events go away you can buy it from the Autoshow.

The FOMO mechanic is the opposite of what they touted before release. I distinctly remember them stating that career events would be added to the game permanently. I play maybe once a week, maybe more depending on what I feel like playing. Enough to finish a few races or one series in the open class and featured tours, but that's about it. It's a shame really, because I want to finish the modern muscle and fox body series, but I have no drive to do so after playing the time-gated tours.

If the game was appealing enough to naturally keep people playing long-term, there wouldn’t be a need for FOMO mechanics.
This was Valve's thinking in 2014 (should start at 3:20)

"Because after all, if our customers are having fun, they're gonna keep coming back for more"

Crazy idea, eh. Make a game fun, and people will play it. Seems like some games companies are still struggling to grasp this, while CS2 is peaking at 1.4m concurrent players without any FOMO mechanics for functional items.

Crazy idea, eh. Make a game fun, and people will play it. Seems like some games companies are still struggling to grasp this.
I'm sure many do, but either cannot actually figure out the "how to make a game intrinsically motivating" or don't have enough confidence in the game's appeal and as such need to compensate with extrinsic motivation.

I don't necessarily know what the solution to that is for Forza Motorsport, outside of vastly increasing the amount of tools and options for organised play and creative expression, similar to Forza Horizon 5.

Watering down the progression system is a good start, but more needs doing for sure.

Last edited:
The most frustrating thing for me is seeing such an excellent driving experience mired by them not being able to give us a good solid career mode with AI that are fun to drive against without being annoying (i.e. no brake checks, more awareness).

Personally I continue to play and enjoy FM23 because the driving itself is just so much fun (especially because I'm limited to an Xbox Controller at the moment). I can use Free Play mode and have plenty of good driving, but the AI racing is really letting the game down for now. Thankfully this is an area specifically mentioned for the next update...

I might have to rethink my strategy of pretty much leaving race cars as is and then trying to BOP the AI. I keep getting my head bashed in even when the AI is limited to only being 5 points max above me. When the Cadillac DPi can't break 2 minutes at Road America and should be around 1:50 or so, it's time to maybe do some upgrading and see what happens.

Prolly something like FM7's Specialty Dealership, with regular rotations for FOMOs and discounts?

Last edited:
I might have to rethink my strategy of pretty much leaving race cars as is and then trying to BOP the AI. I keep getting my head bashed in even when the AI is limited to only being 5 points max above me. When the Cadillac DPi can't break 2 minutes at Road America and should be around 1:50 or so, it's time to maybe do some upgrading and see what happens.

Isn`t this kind of realistic? (in a diplomatic mode today :rolleyes:) You cannot expect to just take the car out of the trailer and run pole position lap-times. You and your team needs to work a bit to dial in the car for the track. Ten sec`s away might seem a bit much but as soon as you get a grip (cough:ouch:) on where you`re loosing time you`ll start seeing mid-50`s

I just gave it a try with stock build and tune. I had no chance of matching the AI with them limited to 955 vs my 950 (max difficulty), but I did get into the 1:55s. I did a 10 lap race and was still getting better at the track towards the end. You need to make full use of the concrete areas on corner exit, but at the same time it's tough to get traction on them, so you have to develop a technique for how exactly you make the path of the car curve so that you run the right amount wide, but are straightening up when you want to get the power down on the concrete.

The fastest AI lap was 1:55.5, so I think they are beatable, as the car can definitely do that sort of time, but it's hard because they're so much faster on the straights then hold you up on slower sections, so it's hard to get anywhere near the lap time you can do on an empty track.

Edit: Tried the race again, but with upgraded rear tyre width, no other changes. That doesn't change the PI, but my fastest lap dropped to 1:54.5 and I was able to win by 9 seconds, from the default start position of 11th. The car still feels pretty slidey, not sure that's realistic.

Last edited:
I just gave it a try with stock build and tune. I had no chance of matching the AI with them limited to 955 vs my 950 (max difficulty), but I did get into the 1:55s. I did a 10 lap race and was still getting better at the track towards the end. You need to make full use of the concrete areas on corner exit, but at the same time it's tough to get traction on them, so you have to develop a technique for how exactly you make the path of the car curve so that you run the right amount wide, but are straightening up when you want to get the power down on the concrete.

The fastest AI lap was 1:55.5, so I think they are beatable, as the car can definitely do that sort of time, but it's hard because they're so much faster on the straights then hold you up on slower sections, so it's hard to get anywhere near the lap time you can do on an empty track.

Edit: Tried the race again, but with upgraded rear tyre width, no other changes. That doesn't change the PI, but my fastest lap dropped to 1:54.5 and I was able to win by 9 seconds, from the default start position of 11th. The car still feels pretty slidey, not sure that's realistic.
Are you running traction control?

I say this, because even in ACC driving GT3 cars if you turn off traction control they slide noticeably if you put the power down too hard. I am sure that all modern race cars are built with use of ABS/TC in mind.

(note that in ACC the Porsche Supercup cars don't have TC which has you sliding all over the place until you adjust from the super grippy TC-enabled GT3 cars)

Are you running traction control?
Yes, I had it set to Sport. The LMP cars are massively more planted in AC, but at the same time, when something does go wrong in AC, it's harder to deal with because it's a more abrupt transition between grip and much less grip, whereas in FM you have less of a difference in grip when the car slides, so it's easier to deal with.

I had a go at the same race with the '23 #01 Cadillac, and the difference vs the '21 #31 is crazy. Whereas the '21 has no rear grip and oversteers like crazy, the '23 has masses of rear grip and is understeery. I can't believe this is caused by anything other than bad stock tunes in the game.

They should crowd source better stock tunes by having a rivals event for each car where the build must be kept stock, but you can tune it however you want, so they can see how people are in practice tuning the car to improve it, and use that to make the stock tune better.

Last edited:
Sebring coming in March update most likely, given that IMSA will race there and...

Attachments

• image-191.png
    image-191.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
I gave it a try myself with the graphics settings maxed out, to have ray traced shadows and be sure I wasn't seeing anything that was just due to lower settings.

I didn't see anything that I could say was definitely wrong. The thing about shadows is you almost never have true absence of light, what you're seeing when you see a shadow is just a clear difference in light levels. It's sunny here at the moment, so there are clear shadows, but you can easily see what is in the shadowed regions, as they're illuminated by reflected light (only one light source outdoors right now - the sun). For a car headlight to make a visible difference to a shadow it would need to be bright enough to be significant relative to that reflected light. On a track like Daytona at night, shadows are illuminated not just by reflected light, but also by other light sources, as there are many floodlights. To light up shadowed areas, the car headlights need to overpower all those other light sources.

Here is some real world onboard footage:

The car headlights don't have much effect other than right in front of the car.

The headlights do not look convincing enough and have a rather canned effect. They're also not bright enough when it's completely dark and there's like a semi circle or something spawning in and out in front of the car right where the beams converge.

So annoying and immersion breaking. Being discussed on the official forum too.

Australia Dessert GIF by MasterChefAU

A recent press release for a recent update for a current game
Requires gameplay to unlock. You must log in before the end of Volume 6 to claim your reward. Failure to log in and claim during this period will result in forfeiting the reward.

:mischievous:

Have T10 addressed the issues like the GMA T.50 having paddleshift animations and the Aston Martin Valkyrie being like 250kg underweight?

I know they have more important things to worry about but these attention to detail elements matter a lot in a sim IMO and seen like very easy fixes.

Last edited:
Sebring coming in March update most likely, given that IMSA will race there and...

View attachment 1334306

Yup, no new track in Update 6.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sebring and Brands Hatch release in the coming months though.

I reckon the remaining real-world tracks featured in Forza Motorsport 7 are the first on Turn 10's to-do list, as there's plenty of ground to build up from with those.

These would be:

• Autodromo Nazionale Monza
  • Brands Hatch
  • Circuit of the Americas
  • Long Beach
  • Mount Panorama Circuit
  • Road Atlanta
  • Sebring International Raceway
  • Sonoma Raceway

Last edited:
Have T10 addressed the issues like the GMA T.50 having paddleshift animations and the Aston Martin Valkyrie being like 250kg underweight?

I know they have more important things to worry about but these attention to detail elements matter a lot in a sim IMO and seen like very easy fixes.
The GMA T.50s manual gear animation was fixed last update, check it out. The Aston maybe one day though...
Where did you find that list? Looks interesting...

Back