Forza Rewards Launching At Some Point For Some Reason

• Thread starter Kake Bake
  • 81 comments
Are we talking about controller or steering wheel? I've never played on a wheel, but I know what you mean on a controller.

Are we talking about controller or steering wheel? I've never played on a wheel, but I know what you mean on a controller.

Well, I made my post in reference to controller steering. In my opinion, it's the worst of the two (FM and GT); although that's also because of the Xbox controller. The left analog stick is so stiff and has such a shallow, flat top that I can't really finesse the steering. To just get over the initial force required to move the stick usually puts it far out of range of any small steering angle. Even if I could manage a small movement (teehee), the linearity and deadzones are SO beyond terrible that the wheel either won't move or goes full-lock. More often than not, I have to resort to a sawing, full-lock then hands off motion rather than a smooth operation; it's very binary.

On the DS3, the relatively looser left analog stick and convex, slightly easier to grip top lets my thumb rock on the stick and makes fluid steering so much easier. It's really no comparison for me.

What's more, it just doesn't seem that it was anybody's job at T10 to make the steering actually work. They put all this effort into tire and suspension models, but I don't get the feeling that anyone actually bothered to try and replicate how a car steers. It's like they're trying to show you a beautiful painting, but they make you wear glasses smeared with jelly.

Well it's an established fact that there are permanent steering aids when using the controller, so I'm curious to hear from the steering wheel guys.

I think the issue you described is a large reason why people feel that GT physics are more realistic. It has nothing to do with the physics, but instead that initial turn-in directness on a controller.

I was referring to kinetics -- rotation and momentum and such -- rather than steering limitations. What bugged me the other day is when I overshoot a corner -- like when I come back after not playing for a long time -- I'm utterly powerless to salvage the situation. In real life, if you haven't gone in too hot, you can let the car skid sideways and drift your way through, scrubbing speed. In FM4, it's very difficult to do that unless you were already setting up for a drift.

It's really annoying when that's the way you've taught yourself to mitigate corners you haven't practiced enough. Honestly, I go off course in FM4 more frequently than I do in more realistic simulators, even when I played it often and was used to it. :dunce:

Well, I made my post in reference to controller steering. In my opinion, it's the worst of the two (FM and GT); although that's also because of the Xbox controller. The left analog stick is so stiff and has such a shallow, flat top that I can't really finesse the steering. To just get over the initial force required to move the stick usually puts it far out of range of any small steering angle. Even if I could manage a small movement (teehee), the linearity and deadzones are SO beyond terrible that the wheel either won't move or goes full-lock. More often than not, I have to resort to a sawing, full-lock then hands off motion rather than a smooth operation; it's very binary.

On the DS3, the relatively looser left analog stick and convex, slightly easier to grip top lets my thumb rock on the stick and makes fluid steering so much easier. It's really no comparison for me.

What's more, it just doesn't seem that it was anybody's job at T10 to make the steering actually work. They put all this effort into tire and suspension models, but I don't get the feeling that anyone actually bothered to try and replicate how a car steers. It's like they're trying to show you a beautiful painting, but they make you wear glasses smeared with jelly.
I’m at work so I can’t really type much at this time, but have you ever tried using joystick extenders? I started using them on FPS games but after a while started using it on every game. The ones I use are pretty tall, its about double the height of the original stick and love them. Although, I’ve used them for so many years that I cant race or play FPS games on regular sticks. Like you said, they are way to stiff to get accurate inputs with them. That being said though, I have no problem with the steering using these extenders and I can say that It really helps out if your using a controller.

I use Kontrol freaks. I think that’s what they are called? Search them up on google, they have a website with all different lengths and sizes. They are mainly for shooters, but like I said, I use them for every game now.

I use Kontrol freaks. I think that’s what they are called? Search them up on google, they have a website with all different lengths and sizes. They are mainly for shooters, but like I said, I use them for every game now.

That does sound like it would help, but I don't think it would completely solve the problem for me. Even if I could finesse the stick and hold its angle more easily, I'd still have to deal with Forza's steering aids and irksome linearity.

Have you tried Normal steering, Kake Bake? It sounds like you're on Simulation mode. Normal operates like the steering in basically any other console game -- progressive and contextual. I never liked Simulation steering because there's nothing "sim" about it, it's just a twitchy quick-response alternative, making it a matter of preference...but then you get multiplayer rooms that force Sim steering, "because realism."

To be honest, the only time I tried normal steering in FM4 was when I attempted to learn how to drift so I could try and get a 100,000-point lap (which, to my chagrin, I found out after I had accomplished it was an achievement for FM3). It helped quell the snappiness of the steering.

I'll definitely try it again, though. Popping in FM4 now.

Edit: tried normal on a couple of circuits and in a couple of different cars. It sure helps cut down the choppiness that would otherwise characterize simulation steering. But god help you if you try and make a steering correction at speed to avoid an obstacle, because you'll just go right into it.

Normal works best in fast cars and on speedways, where you have to nail a very slight steering angle and hold it through a long corner; although it can pass muster on the longer, more flow-y circuits such as the 'Ring. Simulation is better on tighter circuits that require quicker inputs.

Last edited:
Edit: tried normal on a couple of circuits and in a couple of different cars. It sure helps cut down the choppiness that would otherwise characterize simulation steering. But god help you if you try and make a steering correction at speed to avoid an obstacle, because you'll just go right into it.

Normal works best in fast cars and on speedways, where you have to nail a very slight steering angle and hold it through a long corner; although it can pass muster on the longer, more flow-y circuits such as the 'Ring. Simulation is better on tighter circuits that require quicker inputs.

Normal works fine for me on every track and I have no problem avoiding things at speed, so I'm confused at what your problem can be. I have tried simulation but never stuck with it. Simulation was always just to twitchy and just seemed unreal. Like you said though, you'd still have the steering assists no matter what.

The Kontrol Freak extenders work wonders for me, especially allowing me to take much smoother lines through apex's. Its probably the best money that I have actually spent on a console lol and its under 10 bucks.

Whats funny is that both controllers have faults. The xbox has stubby sticks, and the Playstation has horrible triggers. I had to get extenders on the PS3's triggers lol.

Normal works fine for me on every track and I have no problem avoiding things at speed, so I'm confused at what your problem can be. I have tried simulation but never stuck with it. Simulation was always just to twitchy and just seemed unreal. Like you said though, you'd still have the steering assists no matter what.

The Kontrol Freak extenders work wonders for me, especially allowing me to take much smoother lines through apex's. Its probably the best money that I have actually spent on a console lol and its under 10 bucks.

Whats funny is that both controllers have faults. The xbox has stubby sticks, and the Playstation has horrible triggers. I had to get extenders on the PS3's triggers lol.

For instance, I was on Indy in the Huayra and trying to exit the last turn. In that situation, because you go from a very slight bank to a flat surface, you have to go from a slight steering angle (because the banking does some of it for you) to a more severe angle to avoid the wall on the outside. The Huayra isn't the best-handling car in the game, but because normal steering dampens input from the pad, trying to correct a small angle by turning more sharply generally doesn't register.

Yeah, I get that sim steering isn't great either, but I dedicated myself to playing FM4 with it since launch "because realism." It's the lesser of the two evils for me, and even though it bugs me, it's what I've learned to drive with, so I'm used to it.

Also, you sound like a Kontrol Freek salesman :sly:. And, oh God, those mashed potato PS3 "triggers." Don't get me started. In a perfect world, a gamepad would have the DS3's d-pad and sticks with the body and triggers of the 360's pad.

The faster steering rate of Simulation is indeed useful for tight twisty stuff; I switched it on to do some of the cone slalom challenges in the Event List. I don't think I've had the sort of issue you described, Kake Bake, but I don't really drive with slight inputs myself; I've always tapped the joystick to direct the steering in games like this. Rather than dictating absolute steering angle, I perceive it as telling my virtual dude which way to begin turning the wheel. Sometimes he's a bit slow, but Normal guy is much closer to how I would turn the wheel than the caffeine-addled Simulation guy. :D

Just logged into Forza Rewards for the hell of it. 120,000 Cr. and a Unicorn I don't really care about :indiff: Oh well, it's not half bad, I guess, but the reason I', playing FM4 still is because driving is fun with a wheel... Those rewards are nice to have, but nothing that'd motivate me to put any sort of time into doing anything aside from just driving for the heck of it :lol:

Just logged in as well, I think its cool it tracks your progress going all the way back to FM2. Its nice to get stuff for just playing, no complaints.

The Dino in Horizon is a fantastic reward. It seems perfect out on those roads. Cheers T10.

Yeah, FM4's unsurprisingly maxed for me too (just like you, sans credits). Horizon would be too (and includes 150 for credits thanks to the LCE), but apparently I've only played it for around 20 days, and don't have the 500 passes, probably because I never really raced the wanderers.

The new rewards are live; an M3 GTR for FM4, and the CRX for Horizon, are the two Tier 4 rewards. Turns out rewards stack too? Because I can also redeem for the 2010 Ford GT500 (FM4) or SL65 Black (Horizon), and 20k each game, and hovering over either of those cars tells me its for celebrating hitting Tier 3.

In other words, I guess you can still get unicorns if you end up Tier 5 (which, again, just offers boatloads of cash).

The faster steering rate of Simulation is indeed useful for tight twisty stuff; I switched it on to do some of the cone slalom challenges in the Event List. I don't think I've had the sort of issue you described, Kake Bake, but I don't really drive with slight inputs myself; I've always tapped the joystick to direct the steering in games like this. Rather than dictating absolute steering angle, I perceive it as telling my virtual dude which way to begin turning the wheel. Sometimes he's a bit slow, but Normal guy is much closer to how I would turn the wheel than the caffeine-addled Simulation guy. :D

I use simulation steering, But my rule of thumb is not to take the thumb off the stick at anytime. I've built up a lot of muscle memory from it, plus I can better tell what the car is doing and when, helps for tuning. I do pretty good on the auto cross events.

Probably doesn't hurt that I fly RC 3d helicopters (I'm not very good). Anyone that thinks a stick cannot control a car should fly one, its way way harder then driving a car, if it can do that a car is no problem.

Just logged in to rewards, got 2mill in FM4 and Horizon, an M3 GTR, CRX and GT500 in FM4 and an SL65 Black in Horizon :)

FINALLY! I missed having that M3 GTR. Now I just need to figure out how to get the remaining 470 points to get to Tier 5.

@ Tornado - The rewards per tier are the same for everyone. As long as you're Tier 4, you'll get the M3 GTR.

Yeah, FM4's unsurprisingly maxed for me too (just like you, sans credits). Horizon would be too (and includes 150 for credits thanks to the LCE), but apparently I've only played it for around 20 days, and don't have the 500 passes, probably because I never really raced the wanderers.

The new rewards are live; an M3 GTR for FM4, and the CRX for Horizon, are the two Tier 4 rewards. Turns out rewards stack too? Because I can also redeem for the 2010 Ford GT500 (FM4) or SL65 Black (Horizon), and 20k each game, and hovering over either of those cars tells me its for celebrating hitting Tier 3.

In other words, I guess you can still get unicorns if you end up Tier 5 (which, again, just offers boatloads of cash).
Nice!
Got tier4 after spending half the day driving to a friend's house and stealing his fm3. Might buy used horizon but that won't get me close to TIER 5 so still debating that one(did not like the game at all tbh).
The cash payout is much smaller this month than it was last month and you're right, the ford is a tier 3 prize so they do seem to stack. sweets

Is anyone else unable to paint the M3-GTR? Every color displays as black.

Fortunately I can still apply vinyl if I really want to change the color.

Yep, nor can I paint the GT500.

I just bought designs off the storefront and they came up fine but yeah, quite odd.

That happened to me with the Mines and the HKS, then the next Mines was fine. :odd:

It looks like I'll have to actually play my copy of FM3 to get to lvl 4, plus borrow Horizon from a friend.

All four gift cars from this batch ended up glitched black for me. You can still change the paint type, so you can make them metallic/matte while picking a color via vinyl.

Oh well, I already had a CRX anyway and I actually intended the M3 to be black. Weird.

Latest Posts

Back