Four By Four, Monsters, and Off-road.

• Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 863 comments
I want this.
image.jpg

Not much in the way of ground clearance, although as electric motors get stronger I'm sure bigger wheels could one day be fitted, but that articulation...

So while researching some off roading spots in Michigan, I came across some picture from Drummond Island. After looking at these I think I need to rethink my rig choice.

Deep-Mud-Off-Road-Drummond-Island.jpg

Michigan-4x4-Trails-Drummond-Island.jpg

Off-Road-Park-Turtle-Ridge.jpg

Off-Road-at-Turtle-Ridge-Park.jpg

So while researching some off roading spots in Michigan, I came across some picture from Drummond Island. After looking at these I think I need to rethink my rig choice.

Deep-Mud-Off-Road-Drummond-Island.jpg

Michigan-4x4-Trails-Drummond-Island.jpg

Off-Road-Park-Turtle-Ridge.jpg

Off-Road-at-Turtle-Ridge-Park.jpg
If those are from Turtle Ridge, it would really depend on which part of the park you go to. Your truck should do okay in the first half of the park (the easier half), but it would get torn to shreds by the second half of the park (hard part). That part of the park is a nightmare that will destroy purpose-built rock buggies. I've never been to the back half (and probably never will), but the first half should have enough stuff that you can play around with using your rig.

If those are from Turtle Ridge, it would really depend on which part of the park you go to. Your truck should do okay in the first half of the park (the easier half), but it would get torn to shreds by the second half of the park (hard part). That part of the park is a nightmare that will destroy purpose-built rock buggies. I've never been to the back half (and probably never will), but the first half should have enough stuff that you can play around with using your rig.

Yup, Turtle Ridge. Thanks for the info though, pretty much anything I find is people doing stuff like the pictures I posted which seems pretty extreme for what I'm looking for, but if there are easier parts I think I might need to check it out.

My parents circa 1989-ish (not sure on the year). Think the truck still had the 6 cylinder.

GregampNickey_zps9f54e67e.jpg

Yup, Turtle Ridge. Thanks for the info though, pretty much anything I find is people doing stuff like the pictures I posted which seems pretty extreme for what I'm looking for, but if there are easier parts I think I might need to check it out.
The upper part is more famous since the hardcore people go there (and Ultimate Adventure went there for a day), but the lower part was there first. Most of the lower trails can handle the traditional Michigan street set up (generally 33s to 35s as you would probably know), and everyone that we went with made it through the lower part with little carnage. The biggest issue we had was a cut tire (which ironically happened to us) with the Jeep on a hill with a sharp rock protruding out of it up top. It was a blind rock, but the other hills in that spot had clear visibility to the top.

I have to ask my mom if she can find any of the pictures we took years ago (circa 2007-2008) because that was the last time we went there. If I can find any, I might post a few.

Back