Free Speech

• Thread starter A2K78
  • 1,028 comments
lol

Screenshot-20240207-100532-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Factual errors (possible deliberate misrepresentation?) in the complaint. Ernie is holding a sign labeled "Black Trans Lives Matter" and Rubber Duckie, not mentioned, is the one holding the "Defund the Police" sign. Pascal should sue.

While proponents of the law point to the “safeguard” that criminalises possession only “with a view to the material being communicated to the public,” the ambiguity could allow for prosecution of any content regardless of intent to share publicly. What is clear per the draft law’s wording, though, is that refusing to turn your phone password over to authorities could be enough to land you a conviction.

Republicans: Free speech!"

Also Republicans: [unintelligible screeching]

Also Republicans: "More needs to be done to penalize individuals for speech we don't like at private universities!"
While people cheering on the death of 1200 Israelis is gross, people cheering on the death of 30,000 Palestinians is also gross and I feel like these two things are not being treated at all equally.

A lot of my appreciation for Popehat is founded upon his keenness as an observer.

Screenshot-20240419-080755-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Of course it isn't anti-Semitism which they oppose, as anti-Semitism is prevalent on the right. They oppose criticism of the state of Israel. Anti-Semitism does appear in criticism of the state of Israel, and that's simultaneously wrong and unnecessary, but criticism of the state of Israel isn't inherently anti-Semitic as it's so frequently alleged to be by conservatives. It's just that anti-Semitism isn't defensible like criticism of the state of Israel is, so if you paint the latter as the former you don't attract opposition from the general public quite so readily.

Last edited:
Huh. Weird.

nmr-abbott.jpg

abbot.jpg

nazi-gop.jpg

Now...if I was a cynic...I'd think that it isn't so much opposition to anti-Semitic expression, even when expression may reasonably said to be anti-Semitic and isn't mere criticism of the state of Israel, as it is opposition to other views that those whose expressive rights are being violated may hold that's driving this action. ... Hang on. ... I'm remembering that I am a cynic.

Connie vermin.

Last edited:
Side story since the scumbag governor has been involved above:

My neighbor is running for a state position & they were going to hold a block party for him last weekend. Apparently, it's a high enough position that Abbott was expected to show up to support them. Some people from his office were going door-to-door & asked if I would be home b/c Abbott wanted to meet his constituents. I told her, "Yes, but no thank you". She asked why I didn't want to meet our governor with such an opportunity, I plainly told her, "Sorry, not interested in meeting him. Bye". I could have probably said more such as telling her they don't need to waste their time wheeling him up my steps, but I figured my remark would simmer with his staff that there are some people here who do not want to meet (or more clearly, don't like) Abbott.

Unfortunately/fortunately, it got rained out, so the connie vermin didn't show up. I don't know if it'll be rescheduled but I hope not. They had clearly intended to close off the streets into our neighborhood, something I've already been vocal about.

Last edited:
Back